Not Today, Cave! (D9 LM)

Shoji Haka

Not Today, Cave! (D9 LM)

Post by Shoji Haka » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:01 am

Having heard rumors of a creepy cave and knowing that there was probably something bad about it, Haka gathered up a bunch of sticks and long grass and traveled to the cave to properly ward it against spirits, ghosts, and other non-groovy entities.

She carefully set up dozens of stick figures all around it, humming quietly as she worked.
Shoji Tribe • Shaman • Blind • Enlightened • Earth • Void • Haunted

Glory: 2.0

I gave you blood, blood, gallons of the stuff,
I gave you all that you can drink and it has never been enough

Seidou Satone

Re: Not Today, Cave! (D9 LM)

Post by Seidou Satone » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:03 pm

"Hello"

Satone calls out as she approaches the cave.

"May I ask what you are doing?"
Seidou Tribe|Bushi|Large|Strength of the Earth|Blessed by the Earth|Kharmic Tie|Doubt|True Love|Bad Eyesight
Carries: Light Armor, Dai Tsuchi wrapped in blessed rope, Blacksmithing Gear, Jade pendant, 7 uses of jade dust oil
Bodyguard for Seidou Haruyo

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:18 pm

Haka straightens up and turns toward the voice. "This one is warding the cave against spirits."

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:37 pm

"Ah. "

Satone walks a little closer, and then realizes the woman is effected with the same condition as her charge.

"Forgive me, I did not know you were unable to see. I am Satone, of the remnants of the Seidou. I am a friend. I protect one who is similar to you, unable to see and a speaker to spirits. Is there anything I can assist you with?"
Seidou Tribe|Bushi|Large|Strength of the Earth|Blessed by the Earth|Kharmic Tie|Doubt|True Love|Bad Eyesight
Carries: Light Armor, Dai Tsuchi wrapped in blessed rope, Blacksmithing Gear, Jade pendant, 7 uses of jade dust oil

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:07 am

Haka releases a long-suffering sigh. "Do not say your name in conversation with others. It attracts malignant spirits."

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:17 am

"Ah, my apologize, I did not know there was a risk."

She observes the sticks and grass.

"May I ask what it is you are doing?"

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:18 am

"Yes." Haka holds out one of the stick figures. "Ghosts have trouble telling the difference between people and things that look like people. These little fetiches keep them confused and ensure that they do not wander out of the cave."

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:23 am

"I see. Can anyone make them? If so, I would be happy to assist in their creation."

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:38 am

The question draws an enthusiastic nod. "Yes! Just try to make them look like little people, then put them wherever there might be danger."

She motions to her skirt, where some similar talismans hang. "One can also carry them, though that reduces their effectiveness somewhat, as they move with you when you flee from the ghost."

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:20 am

"That seems quite helpful. I will have to tell Haruyo about these."

Satone gathers the required materials and begins to make a few of the straw dolls and placing them around the area.

"Do you feel what is around this area? I heard whispers that it is...bad"

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:21 pm

"Somewhat? This one gets a sinking feeling in her stomach, so it seems to be something bad. If the group were staying longer, this one might explore and speak with the spirits to discern the cause and attempt to fix it."

There's a slight shrug. "As is, it is best to ward it and try not to walk directly into the mouth of the monster, so to speak."

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:40 pm

"That seems an intelligent approach. I have heard it is only going to get worse going forward. I just learned that where we are going there is an open gateway directly into hell. Things can freely go in, and come out. "

She finishes one of the men and places it an equal distance from one already set.

"It explains why the Rats have been attacking my people more, too"

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:39 am

Haka nods at mention of the hell portal. "Yes, the Shoji have one of those as well."

She seems surprised at mention of the Nezumi. "Oh? This one thought that the rat-people were our allies? Is this not the case?"

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:03 am

"For this expedition they are, and it seemed we had a positive reception at their city we passed through, but for year the Seidou have been in conflict with them, the ogres, and the trolls."

Satone begins to tie another straw man.

"I am unfamiliar with your tribe. Where is your home? And...is it not difficult if you have a gateway open there? How do you prevent it from consuming you all?"

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:32 pm

"How odd. This one met with a woman earlier whose tribe lives in peace with ogres. The troubles of one tribe seem to be the boon of another, yes?"

There is more nodding from the white-haired woman. "Oh yes, it is very difficult. The Shojj make regular sacrifices to keep the gateway sealed, and have for as long as there have been Shoji. They live far to the north and far to the west, just south of the great spine, in the Forest of Dreamers."

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:08 pm

"Much is the way of the world where what one tribe does the other does the opposite. The diversity of us all though when brought together is what gives us strength. Perhaps we will come across friendly ogres on this expedition, and if it were only full of Seidou, they would be met with reservation or hostility, neutering a chance of an ally. Where it only met with those of a tribe who think the ogres peaceful, it could lead to a surprise attack. But with both, there is a good compromise to the approach, having both the knowledge of the ogres as an enemy and as a friend."

Satone pauses her creation of the straw man and looks at Haka, guarded hesitation in her.

"....What sort of sacrifices?"

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:06 am

"Human." Haka grips one of the stick figures in her hand. "One touched by the spirits is ritually suffocated by the other shamans, and the sacred ropes absorb their soul and last breath. Then those ropes are used to seal the gateway for ten years, when a new sacrifice is needed."

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:11 am

"Are they willing in this matter? Or is it a sacrifice of those who have wronged your tribe?"

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:31 am

"It varies. The last one wasn't very willing, from what this one remembers." Haka scrunches up her nose. "This one left to avoid becoming a Kusabi. It is not a comfortable death."

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:51 am

"I would imagine not...from the sounds of it at least. Do you think the Kami will allow your tribe to continue such practices? And if not, what would happen to your people and the gateway?"

Return to “The Corrupted Cave”