Night swimming [Day 9 EN, open]

Ko

Re: Night swimming [Day 9 EN, open]

Post by Ko » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:10 am

"My cousins knew about it. They know a lot of things." Ko finished disposing of her knives and other small items--the pearl and coral necklaces and bone-trimmed wristbands, the belt pouch, and, yes, the war club, because she wasn't dumb enough to hike out of camp without that. "They told me about the gods that fell to earth, and how the rest of them were going to rescue the last one."

She contemplated her soft leather shoes, then tucked them into her belt instead. It would be easier to feel her way back down the trail barefoot.

"What about you?" she tossed back to Ayumu, her breathing pattern somewhat irregular as she started to hop and scramble back down. Up had been easier.
Shore People ✖ 'Bushi? That sounds right' ✖ Stone-tool-user ✖ Awkward ✖ On A Quest
Status: 1.0 ✖ Glory: 1.0 ✖ Reputation: Bad, real bad ✖ Character description

Wears: Simple clothing, pearl and coral jewelry, copper coin bracelet; light armor when expecting danger.
Carries: Walking staff or yumi (or both); knives; jade, pack with misc fishing & survival tools and small daily items. Warclub (tetsubo) when needed.

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:07 pm

"I'm Isawa by birth. Big tribe, trading a lot with the others, that several among the Kami and the Kami's followers actively tried to woo. Think I would have heard about them even if I was deaf.

So what's your opinion on the gods that walk and all what's happening here now you've seen it from close?"
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Ko

Post by Ko » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:04 am

"I think..." Ko slithered barefoot down the last of the slope. "Sometimes--oop--I don't know which of the new things I've seen come from these Kami, and which are just things other tribes have on their own, but we don't." She hopped-skipped over a sharp rock and continued back toward Ayumu, brushing dirt off her hands.

"I hope there's a place for my people in this Empire. I don't know what we have that you don't already, except pearls. But maybe there's something."
Shore People ✖ 'Bushi? That sounds right' ✖ Stone-tool-user ✖ Awkward ✖ On A Quest

Wears: Simple clothing, pearl and coral jewelry, copper coin bracelet; light armor when expecting danger.
Carries: Walking staff or yumi (or both); knives; jade, pack with misc fishing & survival tools and small daily items. Warclub (tetsubo) when needed.

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:35 pm

"It's not really about the things of value that you have. No one had to pay some sort of entrance fee to join a clan as far as I know. It's more about allying yourself with seemingly minded people so you might face the future together, as a stronger whole.

As in, is there any problem within your tribe that you think an external force could help solve? Or did you see any flaw in this burgeoning empire that you might have the competence to help with?"
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver

Ko

Post by Ko » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:36 am

"Flaws in... the Empire?" Ko shook her head (thus completing the unraveling of her wet chignon), brows drawing together. "I don't even know enough to judge them like that. My people..." She sighed and flopped down beside the pool, dabbling her toes in the water to un-muddy them before putting on her shoes.

"You and your sunbright arrow heads and your sharp metal spear. Maybe you can't imagine it." Mindful of the dark depths of the water--even though her senses told her it was safe--she swung her feet back onto the bank quickly, as soon as the dirt was mostly gone. "We don't own the mystery of making all that. We don't make the grasses grow in rows to store up for our porridge. We don't tame huge great beasts to carry things for us. We just catch fish and dive for shells, and eat what plants and animals the land spirits share with us. That was all right for a long time, and then I guess it wasn't, and for my whole life long nobody really has known why."

She shrugged. "That's what I meant about not having much that your Empire needs. At least as far as I can see right now. I don't exactly know what an Empire needs, though. "

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:02 pm

"This whole empire concept is quite new to everyone, and I'm sure someone else would explain differently. But I do think one of the points of it is to go beyond our current best. Not stop at good enough, but learn how to actively improve existence for all of us.

A recent example. Since the beginning of this expedition, I've learned how to speak to people that cannot hear."

Ayumu put down his bow and started signing Like that thing I'm doing now.

"This is not something I technically needed to do to just live on. But it is something that will make the life of deaf people I meet in the future a little easier, and it's something I wouldn't have ever had the chance to learn had we not arrange for people of so many different backgrounds to work together."

Ko

Post by Ko » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:16 am

"But that is easy for you to say, isn't it?" Ko, tugging on one soft leather shoe, glanced up at Ayumu from her seat on the ground. "Everyone says the Isawa tribe are very wealthy, with shamans who bind the strongest spirits anywhere, and they have the secrets of many powerful crafts. Even the Kami have to woo the Isawa if they want them in their Empire."

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:46 pm

"Oh definitely. Those of the Isawa have been very privileged so far. So it's only fair we start giving away first, and that we give more than we receive."

Return to “The Waterfall and Cliff”