Finding the Source (D9EE)

Seppun Chisei

Re: Finding the Source (D9EE)

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:43 am

"Yes." Chisei sighed. "Even some of the things that the Isawa do would sometimes seem like magic to some other tribes. I wonder if someday what we call magic now might be as mundane as sowing crops? How high might humanity rise?"

He turned his head, looking at Saruko. "Well. I don't know about you, but I'm beginning to get a bit chilly. We shouldn't stay in here too long, should we? Even if it is a pleasant sort of cool."
Seppun * Former Isawa * Shugenja * Philosopher * Husbando
Carries: Scroll case, scrolls. Jade.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:50 am

"Ah," now that he mentioned it, she was feeling it a bit chilly too. "Yeah, probably best to get out and get dry and warm again."

She gave her face one last splash with the cool waters, and rose up from her seat to head back in. Again, not really concerned with modesty or propriety.

"If everyone could use magic of some kind... that would be pretty amazing, wouldn't it? I'm just worried too many would use it to hurt eachother."
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:11 am

After a brief shrug, Chisei followed her. He kept his ogling to a minimum, only enough to confirm that Togashi was a lucky man. God. Kami. Whatever. Chisei chuckled softly. In truth, he suspected that luck had nothing to do with it. It was most likely fate.

"Perhaps." Chisei said, shrugging. He shook his arms vigorously, spraying droplets everywhere, before beginning to brush the droplets from his bare form as best he could. "But such could be said of many things. Metal can be forged into blades or farming implement. In fact, there are some farm implements that probably shouldn't be in the wrong hands."

He brushed back his wet hair, giving her a gentle smile. "But think of how much good might be done, too. To combat starvation, or disease... or just to learn about how the world works!" It was clearly something he was passionate about, in his mild way.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:48 am

Gripping her hair between her hands, she gave it a good wrong to get most of the water out of it, and then proceeded to bundle up the long locks into a bun to get it out of the way, securing it with a few simple hairpins.

"Ah well, I think you and Jin of the Ki-rin could have a lot in common in that regard; by working for the benefit of the people in combating starvation and disease. He's a really compassionate and kind man."

Saruko brushed her hands over her form to wipe away the water. And now that the cooler evening breeze was there, she felt a small shivver.
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:14 am

For his part, Chisei's hair was not quite as long, nor as thick, but still needed some wringing out. He seemed content to let it dry as it was, though.

"Yes, Jin. I've met him, although we haven't had a real conversation. Not of the sort you and I are having." Chisei smiled. "But if he has ideas of that sort, I would like to hear them. The compassion of the Ki-rin pairs well with the scholarly knowledge of the Isawa, I would think."

Chisei was only watching out of the corner of his eye, more maintaining awareness than looking, but it was enough to detect the shiver. "Here, allow me, Saruko-sama." He walked over to where there clothing was. Carefully lifting hers, he carried it back to her, offering it with a smile.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:40 am

"Oh. Thank you, Chisei... -san." Remembering the proper suffixes didn't always come naturally to her, but that didn't dampen her grateful smile at all.

She accepted the clothes happily. "It certainly gets chilly quickly!" she remarked as her smile grew wider, throwing on her innermost robe.

Theme 2Profile

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:00 am

"It does." Chisei said, flashing her a quick smile in return as he went to fetch his own clothes. "Once the sun begins going down. Which..." He nodded towards it, "it seems to be."

His own shivering stopped as he pulled on his first garment. "It seems natural enough. Not like the strange incident with the swamp. Or some of the more curious weather we've had." He looked out over the water. "This seems like quite a nice place, actually. I'm glad it's not all bad as we..." Chisei cleared his throat, "approach our destination." He frowned; it seemed bad luck to say 'approach the pit to Jigoku' out loud.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:05 am

"Mm," she paused for a while in her dressing-process, to just... stand still and admire the nature. "... We should treasure these brief moments of beauty and calm. They will be a rarity as we continue onward."

And she suspected that it might be hard to remember such good times again, if the realm threw all its might at them. No doubt, many of them, even if they survived, would carry the terrible memories of it all with them, she feared.

"I've seen the Seppun lands before, but what about the land of the Isawa?" Saruko asked as she somewhat changed the topic. "What are they like?"

Theme 2Profile

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:12 pm

Chisei looked at Saruko with a smile, tilting his head. "Yes. We should. A moment in time is lost to all but memory. A pleasant one like this should be savored."

"Hmmm!" Chisei folded his arms over his chest. "Pleasant. Peaceful." He grinned. "Cold. You would think this would make me more resistant to it, but I think it's merely helped me to understand that I don't care for being cold." His expression became thoughtful once more. "But I found the lands to be lovely, in a tranquil sort of way. Forests, glades..."

He cleared his throat. "Our settlements are very advanced, too." Chisei sighed. "It's harder for me to get paper now. Not impossible, of course, but the Seppun just don't produce as much as the Isawa."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:42 pm

"Ah, Wu has said the same thing! About it being more advanced."

She unfolded her outer robe and began slipping it on.

"But... mostly he seems very upset that the Isawa are kind of keeping all that advancement to themselves, and not sharing with the rest."

Theme 2Profile

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:17 pm

"Well..." There was a long pause. "Yes..." The next pause was even longer.

Chisei shrugged. "I hope that it might change, now, with the Kami. But..." He grimaced. "One can see how we became so insular. The Isawa are peaceful. And prosperous. And many around us are not. Intentions are good, I think, a desire to provide safety for the people that one cares about."

Chisei shrugged again. "But I won't say it's the best way. We should be teachers."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:21 pm

She fastened her robe in place using the small ties on its edges, but most of her attention was on Chisei as he spoke.

"So... you're saying that the Isawa should become teachers?"

Theme 2Profile

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Smiling gently, Chisei nodded. "I do, yes. It seems a strange sort of contradiction, since the search for wisdom or enlightenment are so personal. But just as a path is more easily found with one who has walked it before, such is the nature of wisdom."

He tilted his head, still smiling. "And the Isawa are the most advanced of the tribes, after all."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:17 am

"One could say that teaching is also a great form of learning yourself," she remarked with a clever smile and started tying the sash around her waist. Which was thankfully not anywhere near as complicated as the obi of those modern kimono were.

"You can't follow another one's path to enlightenment, but you can certainly learn from their experiences."

Theme 2Profile

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:27 am

"I would not dispute that." Chisei said after a few moments consideration, smiling. "It certainly does allow one to learn a number of things about oneself. Patience at the very least."

He chuckled, but then his smile grew more gentle. "Back in Seppun lands, I've been teaching my wife's brothers a bit. I found it to be rather rewarding, actually."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:18 am

She straightened her clothes once everything was fastened.

"Oh? What do you teach them?"

Theme 2Profile

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:06 am

"Oh..." Chisei waved a hand. "All manner of things, the things I learned in the Isawa. I work on their reading and writing; they already knew how, thanks to their father, but there's always room for improvement. Philosophy. The way of the world, and the realms, and our place in it. That sort of thing."

He smiled. "They make good students, actually. Better than I expected. But then, I didn't have any brothers or sisters of my own. Perhaps I just didn't know what to expect."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:58 am

"Ah, it's good that they've learned at a young age. Even after a couple of years of learning, I'm still not very good at most of that stuff you mentioned - my writing it terrible." She shook her head somewhat, but she didn't shy away from her faults.

"I wish I had learned all that stuff when I was younger. But then my path in life would've been completely different! Who knows where I would've ended up."

Theme 2Profile

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:45 am

"Oh?" Chisei said, his eyebrows going up. "Well, if you'd like to practice, I'd be happy to work on it with you. It won't be any good if I return to Seppun lands when this is over and I've forgotten how to teach properly."

He smiled. "Do you think your life would have been that different if you'd been taught reading and writing at a young age? Where do you suppose you might have ended up?"

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:30 am

"I'd love to get some practice in! And it would probably help to have a teacher too helping me practice, so that sounds great." Practising on her own was often futile, as she often ended up doodling instead of writing.

At his question, she was thoughtful for a good while. "I wonder if maybe I'd take such skills more for granted? But, on the other hand, I probably would understand a lot more if I could read. But I then become uncertain if I'd still be who I am now, and who I was when I met my husband. Would I have still been as curious and eager to learn then, if I were more learned than I was?"

Theme 2Profile

Return to “The Waterfall and Cliff”