(D9, LM, Open) Filling up a shrine

Jiyo Ayumu

(D9, LM, Open) Filling up a shrine

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:33 am

portable-shrine.jpeg
portable-shrine.jpeg (181.6 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
(this is not an official event, just organized craft)

Context: Ayumu has been lowkey bothering people with the idea of building a portable shrine to the Fortunes for some time now. Today is the day of reckoning.

Objective: Present a nice shrine to Hantei on D9, LE

Reward: ??? + Bragging rights

The awesome Seppun Dawei has started working on a portable shrine to the Fortunes. But we could use some help from other talented fellows if we want to have it manned with 7 occupants before we dig deeper into the darkness.

Sculpture

The sculpting itself is Artisan: Woodcarving/Awareness against a base TN of 15. Failure means the statue is so bad it's discarded.

Simple success grants a statue with a Quality of 0. Each Raise on a success grants 1 extra Quality point. Quality serves no purpose but fluff.

Only a single statue can be sculpted per player per slot. However, a player can also sculpt in another, EM to LE, thread, and sculpt several statues in total that way. As Seppun Dawei taught us, woodcarving can be done under any circumstance if you're composed enough. Just link your result in this thread so we can keep track of it.

Several statues of the same Fortune can be made, but only the best ones will be put in the shrine (the total of the rolls will be used as tiebreaker if needed). Those who don't make the cut will be kept per their respective creators.

Enough good wood is freely available on-site, no need to roll for that.

Painting

Sculptures can be painted with Artisan: Painting/Awareness against a base TN of 15. Succeeding the roll would give the statue one extra Quality point, plus 1 per Raise taken on the roll. Failure would reduce Quality per 1, plus an extra -1 per Raise taken.

Painting is relatively quick and can be done in the same thread as sculpting. You can paint a sculpture from another player, with their permission, and can paint in other threads. Just make sure you don't paint sculptures which haven't been made yet, and that you post your result here.

Sculpted Fortunes so far
  • Benten: Sculpted by Doji Kaze, painted by Togashi Saruko; Quality: 1 + 3
  • Bishamon: Sculpted and painted by Togashi Saruko; Quality: 3
  • Daikoku: Sculpted by Ayumu, painted by Togashi Saruko.Quality: 0 + 2
  • Ebisu: Sculpted by Shinsei, painted by Phi. Quality: Shinsei + 1
  • Fukurokujin: Sculpted by Kinyoubi, painted by Saruko.
  • Hotei: Sculpted by Seppun Dawei, painted by Togashi Saruko; Quality: 3 + 1
  • Jurojin: Sculpted and painted by Togashi Saruko; Quality: 3

This very thread will now continue with fluff about people meeting to start working on the shrine and the statues.
Last edited by Jiyo Ayumu on Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Jiyo Ayumu

Re: (D9, LM, Open) Filling up a shrine

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:42 am

Ayumu had to fight a bit to borrow all these woodworking tools from the hardworking maintenance team of the convoy, but he did get his way, and here he stood in the clearing with hopefully enough for everyone.

Well, if anyone came. The way he had communicated about this was somehow confusing.

Still, there was lot of good wood around in this luxuriant forest, and he has the tool, so at least, they'll have his own work. He broke a branch large enough for his purpose and gave it the side eye. How was he supposed to change this rough thing into a person shape?

He hoped Dawei wouldn't be too long, cause he sure needed his advice there.
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver

Canary

Post by Canary » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:04 am

"Everything all right?" Kinyoubi asked curiously as she wandered around until picking out a piece of wood.
GM + Bird + Glorious Plumage + Experienced

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:11 am

Despite the confusing announcement, Shinsei had decided to come by and make a contribution to the shrine, something he felt was a worthy endeavor. He perused the wood quietly, trying to find one that spoke to him of honest work.
Mysterious Stranger | Ascetic | Enlightened

Run by GM Bakuriel

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:24 am

Well, Chisei would show up at the very least.

Stepping into the clearing, he gave Ayumu a nod. And then a curious look, as the other man studied a branch. Chisei looked at the branch, giving it his own side eye. And then back to Ayumu.

"Hello." Chisei finally said, pleasantly enough. "Ummm... is Dawei around?" He glanced uncertainly at the wood gathered about, before giving the few others a friendly smile. "Seppun Chisei." He introduced himself.
Seppun * Former Isawa * Shugenja * Philosopher * Husbando
Carries: Scroll case, scrolls. Jade.

Canary

Post by Canary » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:33 am

"Hello, Seppun-san," Kinyoubi greeted cheerfully as she began to carve. Then she noted the man in the hood. "Ah, I didn't expect you to join, Shinsei-san. I didn't expect such a project to necessarily appeal to you."

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:35 am

Canary wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:04 am
"Everything all right?" Kinyoubi asked curiously as she wandered around until picking out a piece of wood.
"Yes, perfectly. This is a bit last minute, but, as you may have heard, we're trying to build a proper shrine to the Fortunes before venturing deeper into the dark lands. Do you know how to sculpt Kinyoubi?"
Seppun Chisei wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:24 am
Well, Chisei would show up at the very least.

Stepping into the clearing, he gave Ayumu a nod. And then a curious look, as the other man studied a branch. Chisei looked at the branch, giving it his own side eye. And then back to Ayumu.

"Hello." Chisei finally said, pleasantly enough. "Ummm... is Dawei around?" He glanced uncertainly at the wood gathered about, before giving the few others a friendly smile. "Seppun Chisei." He introduced himself.
"Hello Chisei. And good morning, Sir Shinsei.

Seppun Dawei will come once he's done with his own preparatory work with the shrine itself. I might have put the bulk of the responsibility of this endeavor on his shoulders while I'm simply running around calling for people better at this than I am.

But I felt like it has to be done, even if circumstances are not optimal. The moment called for it."

Canary

Post by Canary » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:39 am

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:35 am
"Yes, perfectly. This is a bit last minute, but, as you may have heard, we're trying to build a proper shrine to the Fortunes before venturing deeper into the dark lands. Do you know how to sculpt Kinyoubi?"
"A little bit. I've picked up some bits and pieces of a lot of things," she replied.

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:39 am

Dawei arrives soon with another carving, this one a sort of inlay for the top of the shrine, with rough images of each of the Clan symbols--Bat, Crab, Crane, Dragon, Kirin, Lion, Scorpion, Spider, and Stag--and a hint of the Imperial behind them.

He nods to Ayumu, says "Again, I'm happy to help."

(Per GM permission (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15&start=263), successfully found wood (Hunting 23) on D8[url], [url=https://orokos.com/roll/811271]s ... result 43). Will adjust if determined needful.)
Seppun Dawei
Stag Clan * Bushi * Quiet * O-Iemoto * Experienced
Status 2.0, Glory 2.0, Reputation 4.5
In village: wears sturdy clothes; carries bronze sword, knife, often a piece of wood he's carving, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
Out of village: wears ashigaru armor; carries bronze sword, yumi, quiver of arrows, traveling pack, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
"Speaking" * Thinking
Description from Dawn 1 * Current Description
Player based in Kerrville, Texas

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:50 am

"You're more than helping Dawei. This is quite the fine work.

Do you need our help with the shrine itself or would you rather we focus on the statues?"

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:55 am

Canary wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:33 am
"Hello, Seppun-san," Kinyoubi greeted cheerfully as she began to carve. Then she noted the man in the hood. "Ah, I didn't expect you to join, Shinsei-san. I didn't expect such a project to necessarily appeal to you."
Shinsei, finally content with his selection of wooden block, picked the branch up and turned towards Kinyôbi. His eyes scanned the woman up and down, and one eyebrow raised almost imperceptibly. "I believe man can aspire to the heavens with hard, honest work. I feel quite a strong association with the idea of honest work, so feel no hypocrisy in my actions."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:08 am

"Oh, that's a relief." Chisei said as Dawei arrived. He smiled gently. "While I am certainly willing to give this a try, I appreciate having one more experienced around than myself."
Shinsei wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:55 am
Shinsei, finally content with his selection of wooden block, picked the branch up and turned towards Kinyôbi. His eyes scanned the woman up and down, and one eyebrow raised almost imperceptibly. "I believe man can aspire to the heavens with hard, honest work. I feel quite a strong association with the idea of honest work, so feel no hypocrisy in my actions."
He'd given Shinsei a curious glance before, but did so again now. "Aspire to the heavens? May I ask what that means to you?"

Canary

Post by Canary » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:13 am

Shinsei wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:55 am
"Hmm... Not wisdom, despite everyone seeking it of you?" She asked curiously in reply.

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:15 am

Canary wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:13 am
"Hmm... Not wisdom, despite everyone seeking it of you?" She asked curiously in reply.
Shinsei smiled as he took a seat and began to carve, never quite taking his eyes from the woman. "While I do often seek for knowledge, that would be a strange thing to quest for at this precise moment, wouldn't it?"

Run by GM Bakuriel

Canary

Post by Canary » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:31 am

Shinsei wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:15 am
Shinsei smiled as he took a seat and began to carve, never quite taking his eyes from the woman. "While I do often seek for knowledge, that would be a strange thing to quest for at this precise moment, wouldn't it?"
"I think it's a perfectly reasonable thing to quest for, especially at this precise moment," she replied primly. "Knowing is half the battle, after all."

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:37 am

Canary wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:31 am
"I think it's a perfectly reasonable thing to quest for, especially at this precise moment," she replied primly. "Knowing is half the battle, after all."
Shinsei leaned in to blow some dust and stray bits of wood from his carving. "Yes, and honest work is the other half. But I digress... is knowledge of the upcoming battle what brought you here?"

Run by GM Bakuriel

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:50 am

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:50 am
"You're more than helping Dawei. This is quite the fine work.

Do you need our help with the shrine itself or would you rather we focus on the statues?"
"I've got the sense that a collaborative effort will serve better than an individual one. But I can work on one section of the shrine, while others carve statues and yet others handle the other panels."

He nods over toward Shinsei. "He's got a start on obe, it seems, and I had the one earlier, so five remain. And other hands might find other decorations to offer as devotion."
Seppun Chisei wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:08 am
"Oh, that's a relief." Chisei said as Dawei arrived. He smiled gently. "While I am certainly willing to give this a try, I appreciate having one more experienced around than myself."
"You'll do fine, cousin."
Seppun Dawei
Stag Clan * Bushi * Quiet * O-Iemoto * Experienced
Status 2.0, Glory 2.0, Reputation 4.5
In village: wears sturdy clothes; carries bronze sword, knife, often a piece of wood he's carving, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
Out of village: wears ashigaru armor; carries bronze sword, yumi, quiver of arrows, traveling pack, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
"Speaking" * Thinking
Description from Dawn 1 * Current Description
Player based in Kerrville, Texas

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:21 am

Seppun Dawei wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:50 am
"You'll do fine, cousin."
Chisei smiled. "Even so, I feel I might fare better with your example to follow.."

He glanced once more at Shinsei, eyes narrowing curiously, but it seemed the monk was preoccupied. So instead, Chisei gave Dawei a nod. "I have seen you perform your carving any number of times. But I think, now, if I were to try to imitate it, I wouldn't know where to begin. An excellent example of the difference between seeing a thing and studying it, perhaps."

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:01 pm

Seppun Dawei wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:50 am
"I've got the sense that a collaborative effort will serve better than an individual one. But I can work on one section of the shrine, while others carve statues and yet others handle the other panels."
"I can help with the heavy work I guess. For simplicity and consistency, might be better if you put the finishing touches on all panels.

And of course we need a courageous person to take this rasp and rough things out, which is long, thankless, disregarded as it does not require any particular skill, but essential. There might be a symbolic there."
Canary wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:31 am
Shinsei wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:15 am
"You're teasing, Kinyoubi, but you're keeping your own cards close to your chest. What do you intend to do yourself?"

Canary

Post by Canary » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:11 pm

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:01 pm
"You're teasing, Kinyoubi, but you're keeping your own cards close to your chest. What do you intend to do yourself?"
"Hmm? What do you mean?" She asked, looking to Ayumu.

Return to “The Jungle”