Early Watch [EN]

Kyosei of the Isawa

Early Watch [EN]

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Sun May 31, 2020 5:19 pm

Looking a bit deep-eyed, Kyosei sat near the Supply Wagon, not too far from the fire. He wasn't the initial line of watch, but the backup. The just in case. His obsidian knife was present, easily reachable. One hand had a small round jade stone, and a small obsidian one. He was spinning them around, in his palm, trying to get time to pass.
Kyosei of the Isawa Tribe
Shugenja • Earth • Experienced • Jade

Glory 2 • Reputation 4 • Status 1
Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.
When out in the area outside the camps, Axe, shovel, bo staff.

Togashi Saruko

Re: Early Watch [EN]

Post by Togashi Saruko » Sun May 31, 2020 9:16 pm

Like before, Saruko decided to keep the early part of the night watch by the supply wagon. Even if she knew the best she could do against someone seriously dangerous was to scream for help.

And damnit, why was it so hot, even at night-time?!
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Sun May 31, 2020 11:13 pm

This forest had been quite steamy all day long, and whatever respite Miyako hoped would come once Lady Sun finished her journey across the sky did not materialize as she volunteered to watch over the supplies that night. Whatever decorative items she had been regularly embedded into her armor were all stripped off to buy as much breathing room while wearing it as she could, the other clothes she wore being the most breathable set that she had with her. With spear in hand, she took a quick walk around the wagons, looking out for anything that stood out but not finding anything in the darkness, before she came back to stand near the fire that provided them light. She stood far away from it, however, the air of the jungle around her already hot enough.

Investigation: 15
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:33 am

Kyosei nodded to the others on watch, but kept the silence. It had been a long, hot day. One that was not the most enjoyable ever. And now he needed to rest. But, he was on watch. So, rest was not happening - yet.

He kept some part of him, usually his hand, moving at all times, while his eyes went back and forth.

small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:36 am

Saruko nodded to her fellow guards, but she kept her attention on their surroundings. On the different sounds of the jungle, the different smells, and if there was anything moving about.

----

D9 EN Keeping watch. Investigation/Perception. Void +1k1: 6d10o10k4 21
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:26 am

Miyako stood for a few more moments by the fire before she took another long circle around the wagons. Still finding nothing of note, she was soon back in the fire's light, though this time she decided to break the silence.

"Lady Sun settles for the night. Lord Moon rises far above the canopy of the jungle. And yet, the heat of the day turns into the heat of the night," she said, a couple fingers pulling lightly on the collar of her armor to try and buy just a little bit more room that she might cool off. "It is not always this hot when the Lady's Light disappears in a place like this... is it?"
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:33 am

"Not as far as I know, but here in the south, who knows," she fanned herself to punctuate her own feelings on the weather.

She chuckled somewhat. "I miss the cooler weather of the north quite a lot right now."

Theme 2Profile

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:53 am

At that she chuckled as well. "Feels like hotter than the height of summer in the Chinsei forests, and yet the summer season isn't even upon us yet," she described as she shook her head. "And the cover of the trees today didn't help either." She stopped tugging at her neckline so that she could tug on her sleeves instead to get coolness to her arms.

"How far north? Are you from those mountains way far to the north I have heard about, or at the bottom of them in the valleys?"

Speaking * Signing
Profile!

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:11 am

"The mountains way far to the north," she nodded with a confirmation. "It's where Togashi-Kami has settled his new clan. I didn't live quite so far north before, but even there the weather wasn't as hot as the south has been the entire way."

She felt it was quite warm even all the way back to Great Mountain City.

"A gentle forest with a cool air sounds lovely right now though."

Theme 2Profile

Ninube

Post by Ninube » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:29 pm

Ninube was silent as the night as she stalked the outside of supplies and circled back in. She kept a sharp eye out.
Spider Clan * "Scout" * Unloved By Her Ancestors

Items: Bronze Sword * Jade * Ashigaru Armor (when scouting and such) * Mask (when scouting and such) * Lucky Cricket in Cage (during down time)

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:36 pm

Kyosei continued to swivel the stones in his hand. An occasional gritting of his teeth and jaw were visible to anyone that looked at him, but he didn't say anything.

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:33 am

"There is one spot in my forest where two creeks become one and empty into a small pond that then feeds into another creek. Partly in a clearing, partly not as some of the trees from the forest are close to the banks and shading half of the water... a very fine spot to relax on a summer day, if not a popular and well-known one by the villagers nearby," she shared of a favorite summer spot back home, still continuing to try and get some of the heat trapped in her armor out.

"Speaking of which, did you have chance to spend time by the falls and the water today? A really lovely sight to behold, that waterfall. But I'm sure you have plenty of those in the mountains."

Speaking * Signing
Profile!

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:58 am

"I did get the chance to spend a lot of time by the water and the waterfall, actually. The waters seemed clear and safe, so I figured I'd take this last opportunity for a bath that's a bit more than just a bucket and a rag. But well, I've made due in worse circumstances." Like in the middle of winter and its so cold all the rivers and lakes had frozen over. The Ayakashi hadn't had those fancy bath houses the Kami brought, nor the natural hot springs of the mountains.

"We do have a lot of waterfalls and strong rapids in the mountains, and we have pools of warm water that don't even need to be warmed up. I'm told that the fire spirits in the mountains make the waters warm." She didn't quite understand it herself, but she knew the snow monkeys enjoyed those place. "But... there's this place I've seen once, travelling in the northern mountains, that has several great waterfalls gathered in one area that go down a long long mountainside and into a valley below. It's... really one of the prettiest sights I've seen there." In secret, she'd dreamt of seeing that place become something more - a place where everyone could come to see the beautiful scenery.

Theme 2Profile

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:18 am

"I went this morning before the heat of the day really got up there in the afternoon at the height of Lady Sun's journey. It was a very nice and relaxing time! But also, most amusingly, I think the crow that follows that Shinsei fellow around kept bothering people. It was... pretty strange how it kept having these... what looked like staring contests almost! And sometimes it would cackle almost in glee, and sometimes it would caw in a huff, like it knows whether it won or lost, you know? And then it would fly off, only to bother some other poor soul. It did the same to me, in fact - based on its reaction, I think I won," the tribeswoman described with amusement in her voice over the whole affair before listening to the Dragon's description of the mountain falls.

"The northern mountains sound like quite the place, one that I need to get to one day. Water pools that are warm and pleasant even in the coldest winter? It sounds so nice!" She paused for a moment so she could picture in her own head the scene that Saruko was describing. "Woooow... that does sound just so... lovely. And breathtaking. So where did you see such a place? Like all the way at the bottom looking up? From a cliff by one of the falls looking down? Some cliff somewhere in-between? All three of those sound like a place where I could just sit there and watch and watch and watch, and listen too, for a very long time, just taking it all in..."

Speaking * Signing
Profile!

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:19 am

Saruko laughed quietly, not wishing to cause too much disturbance for the watch and those asleep. "Karasu is a little rascal. It sounds like he had quite a good time today, from what you're saying. You should visit him sometime with some food, then he'll look at you as a friend."

"As for where I saw this sight... it's... hmm... I suppose the direction would be in the southern parts of the northern mountains. We've done a lot of exploration of the mountains and came upon it by chance, spotting it from a nearby mountain range. The mountains is certainly a place where one can spend a lot of time just... watching and listening. It's so peaceful, and tranquil. Makes you want to compose all sorts of songs and poems inspired by it." Saruko sighed wistfully with a heavy sense of home-sickness.

Theme 2Profile

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:21 am

"Mmm... Karasu is its name? I might know of a fruit or two that I saw growing in the jungle that it might like - maybe before we pack up camp and head out tomorrow I'll try and get one or two to give to it. Maybe that will show I have no hard feelings for staring it down," she said with a nod and a smile as she continued to listen to the Dragon.

"It does sound so beautiful. Is there... a lot of mountain unexplored? The forest of Chinsei is by no means as vast as the range of mountains to the north - that much I can say without having seen them, just knowing what others have said - but even in our forest there have been places where I am sure none have laid eyes upon those parts, at least none living in the villages today. It could be dangerous, what with the darkness of the canopy, the thickets, the territorial creatures... but for all I know, on the other side there could be another beautiful and cooling pond just waiting for its first human to jump into it."

Speaking * Signing
Profile!

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:32 am

"Your forests sounds a bit like a dangerous place, but... that's how it often is in nature. And as you say, for all we know there could be a peaceful glade or a beatiful pond just waiting to be discovered," she smiled idly as she imagined it herself. "I'm not sure if it's all unexplored as such, but there is much emptiness there. I mean, empty of people. Not many seem to have wanted to make their homes there, but with those choosing to follow Lord Togashi and his ways, settlements and villages are forming. Many of them of my former tribe, and we're used to living in valleys and hills. So, a lot of similarities and differences, really, but the Ayakashi are a people who enjoy a challenge." As well as the beauty of nature.

"May I ask what led you to travel so far from your forest-home?"

Theme 2Profile

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:36 pm

"Well... one of trading caravans that came through our village carried with it the call that was made for volunteers for this expedition, and the village elder asked if there was anyone that wanted to volunteer and that they would very well have permission to go. And I guess without really thinking about it I stepped forward," she described, pausing for a few moments as that memory played back for her in her head.

"Looking back on it, I think I wanted to get out of the forest that I had called home for all these seasons and start seeing other parts of the land for the first time. But at least part of it was also that I might learn more about the Kami too, the clan-tribes that they gather, maybe figure out more about why some of my cousins so readily joined the one called Bayushi where others in my village hold a more cautious eye, do a good deed or two along the way too, and... I guess maybe start to figure out my place in a land that has seen much change over these past few seasons, as even our little forest has not been left untouched from it all," Miyako explained before looking up at the sky briefly.

"It was... strange to say the least, as at least in my village when I looked to my left and right, I found myself standing alone, and I couldn't hear what they said but some of the villagers were obviously whispering to one another. But my village's elder smiled and nodded and announced that I would go and the Chinsei would wish me well. And just like that I packed up a tent, was gifted some other things to take to help me, said my goodbyes, and here I am."

Speaking * Signing
Profile!

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:52 pm

"Ah, so it's like a chance to see the world, and learn about the Kami at the same time, while doing a good deed?" she nodded, seeming to understand some of Miyako's motivations.

"Shame it's seeing this part of the world though... even if this particular place has been very pretty. But I suspect from here on out, it will get worse."

Theme 2Profile

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:10 pm

"And we were warned that it would not be a good land that this venture goes, but still here I am. My people say that the forest protects and the forest provides, but there is more than just our little forest, and I think some in my village forget that, cautious eye cast to those things that come from outside. I think many of my cousins were even skeptical that there could be something so bad and so dangerous out there and that even if there was that it would never penetrate our forest. But I have heard around the campfires what they say about these lands and this realm of evil place, and I was skeptical of my cousins' skepticism then, but I know fully now just how wrong they are, that our forest is not immune. Nor, I think, can we shut ourselves in the forest and pretend that change isn't all around us, end up in a place where we might be left behind if we look far too inward upon ourselves," Miyako noted, swinging her arm wide and outward before pulling it back to her chest in a balled fist as if to emphasize the point.

"My hope is that when I return home I might say much about the things I see - that we all will see - and convince my village that there are real threats out there, but also that there is much hope as well, that there are things that lie beyond the forest worth seeing and worth doing, people worth talking to, perhaps even change worth embracing. Even if I make it home and deliver this message, then perhaps I will not stay long. There is still much to this land that I might see, like the mountains with the falls and the valleys and the warm springs you call home," she said with a smile that soon faded. "And if I do not make it home, well... a message of hope will not arrive, but the message on danger will hopefully be heard."

Speaking * Signing
Profile!

Return to “The Supply Wagon”