(D9, EA, Open) The words that remain

Jiyo Ayumu

(D9, EA, Open) The words that remain

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sun May 31, 2020 6:04 pm

Bowl full of cold charcoal?

Check.

Pile of pieces of bark made less rough on one side by scrubbing them with a knife?

Check.

Spare cloth stretched as much as possible between two trees?

Check.

So, now that he had the pens, the paper, and the black board, all that was missing were the students. And his auxiliary teacher.
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Jiyo Sora

Re: (D9, EA, Open) The words that remain

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 31, 2020 6:08 pm

Sora wanted to grumble about being roped into this.

Maybe mutter something about how it wasn't his idea of a good time.

But he hadn't been and it was, so the former Hikaru warrior and Imperial babysitter on sabbatical stood at the ready to assist in his own... special fashion.
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Sun May 31, 2020 10:38 pm

Ryoko arrived early, still in a remarkably good mood from her morning. This place was pretty.

Waving to both, she greeted them, "Konnichiwa, Sora, Ayumu! I'm glad you're both doing well!"

Her horns had grown visibly from their last chats, as had her hair. It seemed something had happened to her, but whatever it was, she didn't indicate.
Takemori :: Master of Ceremonies :: Voice :: Horned Girl :: Music Lover :: Jealous
Resources: Twin Tonfa, Dai-Tsuchi, Morin Khuuru, Jade-Flower Glove, Tago the drummer.
Profile :: Themes

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:07 am

"Hello again, Ryoko of the Ongaku. You're looking well. Something about this place agree with you?"
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:37 am

"It's so pretty!"

She beamed. "I didn't think we'd find anything so nice, going toward the darkness... It's really gorgeous here, have you seen the waterfall?"

Stretching happily, she added, "Good to see you both - an opportunity for you to teach me what your letter is going to say, mister Sora, and Ayumu can help me read it!"
Takemori :: Master of Ceremonies :: Voice :: Horned Girl :: Music Lover :: Jealous
Resources: Twin Tonfa, Dai-Tsuchi, Morin Khuuru, Jade-Flower Glove, Tago the drummer.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:38 am

Sora, who had only begun to become literate at 21 years of age, nodded.

"Part of why I answered Reiko's call so readily? She was my primary teacher in reading and writing. It opens up so many possibilities."

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:43 am

"I'm counting a lot on sempai for this lesson. People like Reiko and me were lucky to learn to read at a young age. That gives up a head start in vocabulary, but that also makes us a bit blind to the difficulty of learning it at a later age, as we didn't have to face them.

In an ideal future, everyone would learn young, and that problem wouldn't have to exist anymore."
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:49 am

"Well... I'll do my best!"

Ryoko didn't lack for enthusiasm, at least. Time would tell how long that lasted.

"You know, it's good having you both here. Later once you write that letter, you could answer my questions about the emperor... or tell me if my ideas are crazy, at least."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:54 am

"I generally try not to call anyone crazy, given my own behavior patterns... but ye, we'll both be more than happy to answer questions about Shiba."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:07 am

"I'm glad, and I don't think you're crazy, Mr. Sora."

Ryoko examined the two of them, and added, "Is it just me, or anyone else need to learn the shapes?"

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:24 am

"We've offered to a few others, but don't know if they'll come yet.

While we wait for them, or until we're tired of waiting, why don't you tell us about those ideas?"

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:29 am

"Oh, I just... well you had mentioned that maybe my tribe could carry news, but we don't move all that fast... but our wagons could carry many papers."

She gestured to the wrapped materials for writing, and added, "I saw the knowledge room that the Nezumi had... maybe if we made a moving knowledge room, we could pass on the secret of writing, from village to village, as we travel. Perhaps Mister Shiba will have other ideas and we can carry his messages too, we are used to traveling, but it would not be swift to send a caravan for each message. Maybe a single cart, or a person on foot..."

Ryoko gave a little shrug.

"I do not know, but I was thinking... it is likely my tribe cannot continue as we are forever. I wish to make sure if we go to a clan, or this big emperor Shiba, that we can keep some of what makes the Takemori special. I do not know which place would be best for that, either Shinjo who some say loves free spirits, or Shiba, who likes the knowledge and the words... only that I realize I must find a place for my tribe - because time eventually will, no matter what."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:33 am

"I think you will find the Emperor quite partial to the idea of people who can carry news and information throughout the Empire."

Sora smiled.

"I was actually going to suggest something of the kind in my letter."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:58 pm

"That's good... I just want to think we can find a way to use our own culture to find a place - I don't want to lose the Takemori ways - even though I know they'll have to change..."

Ryoko glanced around, "Aside from that, the only concern I have is whether this shiba will accept non-humans - some of my tribe are half-blood like me, and some are fully ogres."

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:02 am

"Well, Shiba isn't a human himself. And... Well, let's say I won't be worried about his stance on non-humans or persons with mixed ancestry. Not at all.

If you meet him one day, I think you'll find having a talk on that subject with the Imperial Consort very enlightening."

While talking, Ayumu picked a chisel and a piece of wood from his bag:

"Also, do you mind if I sculpt a bit while we wait?"

Regardless of her answer, he will then ask:

"If you had to sum up the culture of your tribe in three words, what would they be? What's the very essence of your tribe?"

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:20 am

She seemed surprised.

"I'm not sure... only three words..."

Settled back on her heels, she lapsed into a thoughtful silence, seeming to turn the question over, again and again.

Finally, slowly, she answered, "Compassion, Music, Diplomacy." There were many more things to add, complexities to each term, but all of them did stem from certain roots about who her people were.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:52 am

"Music... is another thing I think would be of interest to the tasks you mentioned."

He nodded to Ayumu's classroom setup.

"Literacy is far from universal. I'd like to see that change, but it's a long-term goal. Carrying messages, decrees and the like in songs which could be performed along the route would insure that the information wouldn't be monopolized- or twisted- by those who can read in their dealings with those who can't. A good catchy song sticks in the memory, after all."

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:12 am

Ayumu started carving mechanically while his mind wandered:

"All three words turns around the idea of having a heart-to-heart discussion. Of people of different origins being nice to each other because they can understand each other, if not through words then through art.

That's interesting. Do you think we truly understand each other at the moment Ryoko, without about veiled intentions? Do you think it'll be better if I was to hear you sing and you were to see me sew?"

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:42 am

Ryoko shrugged, expression distant, "I suppose a word I could use for my people is honesty - I forget that others don't place the same weight upon words as my tribe - if I give my promise, it is my bond. I must fulfill it, or I have wronged you, my tribe, and myself."

Pulling her instrument from her shoulder and resting it gently against the nearest solid object, she added, "We Ongaku sing the histories, the festivals, but we also hear the words that the Takemori say, and hold them to account in disputes. I believe I have spoken to you without veiling my intentions - if you feel otherwise, open my ears to the failure, so that I may return my words to truth."

Glancing between the two men, she added, "Everything we are, herdsmen, craftsmen, musicians, defenders... it hinges on our ability to make deals - we must negotiate passage through village lands, trade for goods, and keep many families together even when there is anger or division."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:49 am

Sora arched an eyebrow.

"You definitely need to see the Emperor, if only so I can see the look on Yuzuru's face."

Return to “The Camp”