The Kami

Canary

The Kami

Post by Canary » Fri May 08, 2020 7:20 pm

“The Kami… Well, I suppose we might as well talk about them.

Akodo

“Akodo is someone who sees himself as a leader, and he takes the role seriously. He takes everything seriously. If he ever had a humorous bone in his body, it dissolved in Onnotangu’s stomach. Still, he’s definitely brave… Maybe the bravest of the Kami, though it’s a toss up between him and Hida. Hantei could be in the running for that, but his bravery is more tempered with caution than theirs. Akodo’s bravery is tempered with strategy. If you think you’ve won against Akodo, you haven’t – he’s just going to come back stronger and destroy you this time. Despite his lack of a sense of humor, he’s more personable than you’d think. I guess it’s part of what lets him lead so easily.”

Bayushi

“Take it as a compliment to him when I say that Bayushi is a clever jerk. Sometimes too clever for anyone’s good, including his own. He’s very perceptive about people. Doji is, too, but where she’s oriented toward how she thinks people should be, Bayushi is oriented toward how people are, and figuring out how to make use of that. It can be said that with everything he does, no matter how low down, it’s always focused on supporting his siblings somehow. Sometimes the others don’t really understand it, but he’s loyal and selfless. Both of the twins are probably the most selfless of any of them, it just takes different forms. If you’re not one of the Kami, don’t count on him, though, because they will always come first, and you’re just as likely to be a tool toward that end as anything.”

Doji

“The sisters are the heart and soul of the Kami. Doji is the soul. She has high ideals and high standards, and sort of seems in general to be interested in big concepts, but in a different direction than Togashi is. In a way, those two are a bit similar, though. They’re both interested in abstract subjects, but she concerns herself with ideas like beauty and art and how a society should function and whatnot. Sort of a middle ground between Togashi’s total distance from mortals and Shiba’s intense interest in them. When they were in Onnotangu’s stomach, her songs and stories and her charm kept everyone from going stir crazy and turning on each other, all the while keeping her grace and calm even in that situation. Despite what some people might say, the things she does are far from frivolous. She's Hantei's favorite sibling, and that's probably part of why."

Hantei

“Hantei is the youngest of the Kami, but he acts like a first born. He always tried to be the perfect son for his parents. He was obviously successful – Amaterasu favored him over all her other children. I’m not sure playing favorites is a good thing to do to children, but what do I know, I guess. He’s one of those people who is second best at everything except for a couple of things. He’s almost as fast as Shinjo, almost as skilled a tactician as Akodo, almost as socially skilled as Doji, etc, etc. He is probably the most skilled swordsmen of them, and is the most honrable. That’s why he- no? All right. Anyway… Very much the upright and noble type is my point. He does tend to declare things and just go forward without consulting anyone else, though, and he doesn’t have Bayushi’s cleverness to back him up. Or if he is, he’s too honorable to develop it.”

Hida

“Hida is two things – extremely strong, and exceedingly practical. He doesn’t let a lot of big thoughts get in the way of what he sees himself as having to do. That’s not to say he doesn’t think before he acts – he does – but he’s not as much of a tactician as Akodo or as contemplative as Shiba or Togashi. Rash isn’t the right word, but he acts on his perception of what’s right without delving too deep into it. Unlike some, he actually isn’t too serious and knows how to have a good time. He got along with some of the others who were more like that back in the day. Shinjo, Bayushi, Fu Leng. He used to wrestle with- I guess this isn’t the time for looking back. The work hard, play hard type… that’s him.”

Shiba

“Shiba is a contemplative type, but not in the same way that Togashi is. Where Togashi focuses his thoughts inward, Shiba focuses his thoughts on others. What he can do for them, how to help them, how to protect them, that sort of thing. He’s also very perceptive. Along with Bayushi, he was one of the ones who noticed Onnotangu’s madness, though Hantei wouldn’t let them do anything about it. He’s similar to his twin in many ways – they’re both very unselfish, though they focus it into different endeavors. Shiba focuses more on the general good than just his siblings. I think that’s part of why he recognized that the madness needed to be seen for what it was so it could be helped. I think if he could he would have tried to help their father. But that’s not how things panned out.”

Shinjo

“Shinjo and Shiba are of one mind when it comes to other people – they both care a great deal, and their care extends beyond just their siblings. Shinjo also has boundless curiosity. She always wants to learn or see something new. Even in the heavens she would look down over Ningen-do and think about all the things and people down there with great interest. In a strange way, I think that she must be happier now despite the hardship, because she’s learning and seeing something new every day now, and has many more people to interact with. I think her isolated childhood was hard on her, but she projected strength. She was incredibly fast, and now she has a vast and unlimited world in which to run. In a strange way, I’m happy for her.”

Togashi

“Togashi was always strange. He’s contemplative, as I mentioned, but it’s turned inward rather than outward. He focuses on his own contemplations and his visions of the future. He has some sort of connection to the threads of fate, and takes a very active hand in ensuring things play out the way they are in his visions. I sometimes wonder if that’s what they’re meant for, but I can’t see into his head to understand his motives. He is extremely wise, though, so I can’t fault him for being confident in his own actions. He doesn’t share his advice or wisdom often. He’s one of those people who speaks only when necessary.”

Fu Leng

“Fu Leng? Really? … Fu Leng was a young, angry idiot and now he’s a young, angry, trapped idiot.

… All right, fine, I’ll go into more detail. He was similar to Hantei in that he was sort of a second-best at everything type. He’s more powerful in terms of using his spiritual powers than him, but less honorable. As much as any child of the heavens is, though, so it’s not to say that he’s dishonorable. He was aware of other spirit realms early on, and suspected that they wouldn’t remain strongly separated forever. He told Shinjo so, and carried a crystal sword for that reason. I guess when I look back, that was something of a specialty. Togashi sort of shared it, but he doesn’t share anything of what he knows. The things you see in hindsight… Maybe he didn’t have to be so upset about that. Anyway. Jigoku noticed his interest and pulled him down there… and that brings us back to being trapped.”

Ryoshun

"A significant loss to the Kami. Apparently more significant and less lost than anyone was led to believe. He was the first to be swallowed by Onnotangu, and consequently by the time Hantei arrived to free them, he was too late for him. Ryoshun's body fell from the Heavens with the rest, landing in the northern mountains of the region, drawing less notice for the lack of celestial light that accompanied the others. His soul had already passed into Meido, however. He was contacted, however, by a young woman named Nazo, a medium who encountered his spirit in the land of the dead. His personality is different now... altered by the influence of Meido. He's still as brilliant a crafter as he ever was, though. I've heard his Clan, formed by his now wife, has drawn those of like mind to her and him."
GM + Bird + Glorious Plumage + Experienced

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Return to “Almanac”