It Never Hurts to Check (D13, EM, Open)

Jin

It Never Hurts to Check (D13, EM, Open)

Post by Jin » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:37 am

Jin's lone eye scoured the field seeking any tell tale marks of green among the rocks. Kyosei had found his jade, and his obsidian, where the debris from the Kami's descent had scattered around Seppun Hill. While it was unlikely any had survived in this land perhaps it was not utterly fruitless to search.

He looks at the jade held around his neck... noting how the stone had grown softer and parts worn away. If it continued at the same pace it would probably... probably... last him to the pit and back. But he couldn't trust that its decay would not accelerate as they drew closer. If so he surely did not have enough.

(10, doubt I find anything even if it is there)
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Canary

Re: It Never Hurts to Check (D13, EM, Open)

Post by Canary » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:19 am

He finds mostly rubble and debris from what must have been a massive explosion when Fu Leng fell. The only thing of note he encounters is the tragically twisted skeleton of one of the Nezumi.
GM + Bird + Glorious Plumage + Experienced

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Jin

Post by Jin » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:23 am

Jin did not know the burial rituals of the nezumi but he still felt improper leaving the dead exposed and unremembered.

"May your Name be remembered."

The sorcerer begins, as best he can with one hand, moving stones to form a cairn over the skeleton.
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:32 pm

"Want some help?" A voice he has heard several times before offers from nearby. Kyosei had similar thoughts, perhaps. He had also been searching the area, hoping for anything of interest, though jade is always a fine choice. "World is looking worse. Very much worse. We need to figure out how to close this hole in between the Realms, or the whole world might look like this, eventually."
Kyosei of the Isawa Tribe
Shugenja • Earth • Experienced • Jade

Glory 2 • Reputation 4 • Status 1
Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.
When out in the area outside the camps, Axe, shovel, bo staff.

Jin

Post by Jin » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:50 pm

"An extra set of hands is always helpful... or a first set for that matter." The span of years had given Jin the outlook to be able to make light of his injuries.

"Actually I had thought to speak to you at some point. I'm a little concerned about my jade. It appears to be degrading as we travel. If the rate stays constant I should have enough to make it to the pit and back. But I don't trust that this decay won't increase as we get closer to the source. Have you found any way to bolster the jade or prevent this weakening?"

Description

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:28 pm

"You are the second one to mention jade degrading in some way. One moment." Kyosei began searching through his various pouches, and pulling out bits of jade... "that's fine... no problems... oh, huh. okay... that one is fine... dust hasn't changed weight..."

"Okay, I do have one piece that has changed, a bit from the tip on turning black, and being soft enough to shape with my fingers. The rest seems fine, though."

He finds a decent sized stone, and begins to move it to the cairn being constructed.

small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.

Jin

Post by Jin » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:35 pm

Jin pauses in his work to draw his jade back out and present it to Kyosei, "Here, it seems more noticeable on mine. Perhaps proximity to others protect each other?"

Description

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:54 pm

Kyosei holds the pieces close to each other. "No, they seem to actually have decayed - degraded - become rotten at the same rate. Yours is longer and thinner, while this piece is shorter, but thicker. See?"

Jin

Post by Jin » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:58 pm

Jin squints and nods, "You've always had the better eye for stone my friend. But shouldn't all of them decay like that then? Why one at a time?"

Description

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:12 am

Kyosei thought hard as he moved stones. Only as the cairn was mostly finished did he give voice to his thoughts. "Jade is a form of purity. The demons cannot stand it's touch. It burns them. Similarly, it is degrading here, as we approach the center of the area where the demonic is entering the world. The demonic is warping the world. So, if we suppose that the demonic is attempting to warp us the same way... the jade is protecting us. And this piece of mine has protected me enough, that the rest doesn't need too. Hmm. I should commune with some of my jade, see if that is what is happening..."

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:25 am

"Is the spirit within that active? To strive to defend? That is impressive indeed if true."

Description

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:32 am

"It is just a supposition, but it may be a response of the purity of the stone itself to the warping around us. Or, each piece of jade may be active somehow. As I said, I will have to commune with some to find out."

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:35 am

Jin nods, "Let me know the results." He looks once more at the stone around his neck, "Here's hoping there is enough to make it there and back."

Description

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:24 pm

"As you saw, I do have extra, should it be needed."

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:31 pm

My concern was so apparent, was it?

Jin smiles, "I would not seek to deprive another... but I also would not decline such generosity. It would certainly take a weight from my mind."

Description

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:53 pm

"Do you want one now, or wait till it is more obvious?"

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:36 pm

Jin ponders and sighs, "If you can spare it I think I would rest better having it. One less worry on the load of many, many concerns."

Description

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:38 pm

"Well, not the dust, obviously. Not the badger, that's personal. The thumb, maybe? The bush... nah. So, would you prefer one that's carved to look like a thumb, or one that's a mushroom-head shape?"

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:50 pm

Jin chuckles, "I suppose I could do with a spare thumb."

Description

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:53 pm

Kyosei blinked a couple times at that, then handed the piece over. "Oh, right. Sorry, didn't think. I don't even remember most of the time, when I think of you."

Return to “The Debris Fields”