The Crippled Bone

Canary

The Crippled Bone

Post by Canary » Fri May 22, 2020 7:43 pm

Your group has been scouting farther into the corrupted lands surrounding what the Nezumi refer to simply as “The Crater”. The going is difficult, but it’s yielded some important intel so far. What you didn’t expect to run into was a camp of Nezumi warriors. They have an infirmary area and have set up makeshift tents to try and stave off some of the corrosive rain that has been plagueing your team, as well. However, they have a lot of injured and not enough supplies to treat everyone. They’re leery of humans, but if you help get them patched up enough to regroup with your people and perhaps start making their way home, they might be willing to share their information with you.

Of course, you could just extract the information from the already-suffering Ratlings. They likely wouldn’t have much of a fight in them to resist.

Participants: Up to four characters

Time: Late Afternoon. This event opens at 17:00 PDT, 6/6.

Rules:
This is a hybrid traditional rolling/roleplaying event. NPCs will be present and players are expected to play this out as an interactive RP thread. When your character takes one of the actions listed below, they make the roll. Participating players are expected to engage in standard conversational etiquette during this event - wait for at least a few other people to post before you jump in again. You don't have to wait until everyone has spoken, but at least three. Not all posts need to be rolls! This is an RP thread, so descriptions of what your character is doing, non-rolling discussion, and other posts are encouraged.

Each character involved must do at least one roll.

The players may choose from: Medicine/Intelligence (to study and treat their injuries), Intimidation (Torture)/Awareness (to forceibly extract information), Investigation/Perception (to keep watch), Sincerity/Awareness (to convince them to speak with you) or Defense/Reflexes (tp help protect their camp). The players must succeed at six rolls at TN 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, and 35 before failing 3 rolls. Players who use Intimidation (Torture)/Awareness reduce their TNs by 5. If they succeed, the Nezumi accept their help, and give them the information they need. If they succeed with at least 10 raises, they agree to move to the camp and offer their expertise and detailed intelligence.

Results and Consequences
If the characters successfully make all six rolls before three failures, they gain 10 Purity Points. If they make all six with 10 raises, they gain 20 Purity Points. If the characters have a few successes, but make three failures before all six, they lose 10 Purity Points. If they fail three rolls before making any successes, they lose 20 Purity Points.

Torturing rats may have unexpected consequences.
GM + Bird + Glorious Plumage + Experienced

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Canary

Re: The Crippled Bone

Post by Canary » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:12 am

The pounding rain rattles the tents overhead, but fortunately, they're well made enough to stand up to it, on top of a treatment to it that the Nezumi seem to have come up with. It makes it smell strange, but it's better than the scent of the rain itself. The Nezumi huddled under the tents look suspicious, those who are conscious enough to. The others are under a large tent, nursing various wounds.

A Nezumi with sleek brown fur and piercing black eyes hurries you under the tent. "Hairless ones from camp. Ch'chit T'kkiri mention you. Why here now?" He looked around. "Well, stuck-stuck now with rain starting."

[This event is open]

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:13 am

Xia stands ready to aid the giant rats. She's keen to see if they respond to the same herbs as humans. Either that or maybe cheese....

Looking at her companions
"We're uh, here to help Neuzmi-san."
Crab • Seidou • Niece of the Daimyo • Surprisingly Literate • A Little Awkward
• Here To Help • Front Line Combatant • Recorder Of History

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:15 am

Hanzou was with the other scouts when they spotted the nezumi camp. He had approached cautiously, until the rain began to fall. After running into shelter, he wasn't sure what to say.
Stranger ~ Shugenja ~ Water ~ Archer ~ Hunter ~ Healer ~ Spirit Talker ~ Small ~ Wary ~ Ennui
Glory 2 ~ Reputation 4 ~ Status 1

Carries: Yumi, Arrows, Aiguchi, Lantern, Water, Medicine Kit, Jade (4/7)

Togashi Nadare

Post by Togashi Nadare » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:28 am

The tattooed man approached with hands raised. He looked at his fellow travellers and then back at the nezumi. "You seem to have many injured. I have some experience with medicine and would like to help, if you will allow it?"

His tattoos glowed, the lion turning to examine the giant rats. It curled up, seeming content for now.
Dragon ClanEarthTattooed • Herbalist • Sane • Enlightened
Samurai Without Borders (Co-founder)
Tattoos: Lion (Chest); Balance (Back)
Equipment: Yumi, knife, sturdy clothing, travel pack.

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:53 am

The tribeswoman stepped forward, her feathery earrings dangling and necklace of bone beads and ornaments clinking slightly as she did so. "We have come to help, as they have said..."
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Canary

Post by Canary » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:05 am

[This event is closed]

The Nezumi looked hesitant, but finally nodded, handing them a few cloaks and hats. They're made for a Nezumi frame, and they smell a bit of the creatures, but their stains and lack of holes speak to their effectiveness against the rain that plagues the area. "All right. Hairless ones take-take these. You want help us, go show-show you help. Fix-fix Nezumi. Look out for monsters. Protect."

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:51 am

The tribeswoman reached out and took the Nezumi cloak and hat when it was offered to her. She briefly looked it over and wondered how it might fit over here, and even at arm's length there was a noticeable smell emanating from it, but given the rain going on outside and thinking the Nezumi tailors knew something of it that the straw-spinners in her village that made her own cloak and hat did not, she still donned it anyways. It was a snug fit, but it would do for now. She nodded her head to the Nezumi in appreciation for the protection.

"My name is Miyako of the Chinsei, a forest and tribe many steps and many moons to the north. We can and we will do all of these things for you. We have those with knowledge of medicine that they might patch the wounds and soothe the pain, and others with eyes of the bird, sharp and watchful. As we help to watch out for danger and to look over the injured, however... I hoped that you and your kind might speak to us about the lands to the South and what lies ahead. If we have been mentioned, then I imagine you know that there are a number of us beyond us here right now, and you likely also know for why we march and what is our cause. It would be my hope that, while we wait out this cursed rain together, that you might be able to inform us on what dangers there are to face and how we might best be prepared to face them," Miyako spoke to the Nezumi that had greeted them, her tone trying to show both sincerity and seriousness in what she said.

TN 10 + 3 Raises, rolling Sincerity / Awareness: success!
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Canary

Post by Canary » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:57 am

He looked at her with doubt in his eyes, but nodded slowly. "Heard some from C'chit T'kkiri, some from Those-Whose-Power-Shines-Brighter-Than-a-Thousand-Torches-and-Whose-Name-Stands-As-a-Great-Wall-Against-Tomorrow. Want to get Falling-Rock-Man, maybe-maybe close hole."

"We believe, but fix-fix Brave-Warriors-Who-Remember first. Some die-die if not."

[Successes: 1/6, Failures: 0/3, Raises: 3/10]

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:59 am

"I'll keep watch." Hanzou offered. "If someone can cheech tend to their wounded.
Last edited by Hanzou on Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stranger ~ Shugenja ~ Water ~ Archer ~ Hunter ~ Healer ~ Spirit Talker ~ Small ~ Wary ~ Ennui

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:08 am

"And it will be done," Miyako responded to the Nezumi, nodding her head. She thought she could tell there was a little wariness in its response, but though she wasn't completely sure fully on his 'we believe', she herself believed she had gotten somewhere with that. Words must be followed with action, however. She bent down to rummage through her pack of things, and from her pack she found a small little leather pouch. She stood back up and looked over to the others, particularly the tattooed man and the other woman that were there.

"I know not the ways of medicine, but I know Nature, and I think that these herbs that I found in the jungles further north of here, back when they were healthy and vibrant, may help in treatment or to supplement your supplies. In the meanwhile, I will join with Hanzou on the watch," she stated, offering up the pouch.

Speaking * Signing
Profile!

Togashi Nadare

Post by Togashi Nadare » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:15 am

"Ah. Thank you friends." With a polite smile he took a hat and placed it on his head at a jaunty angle. The cloak was thrown over his exposed skin, which felt strange and uncomfortable. He listened as they walked.

Once they were inside the frame Nadare nodded at Miyako's eloquent explanation and began to unfurl his medical equipment. A curious smile tugged at the corners of his mouth as he set the pieces in place. It was a ritual. He knew what everything did. Each had its place and purpose.

"I am Togashi Nadare. I must admit that I am... Well, not much of a conversationalist, unlike my comrade Miyako." He gave her a smile. "Apparently I have atrocious bedside manner." His broad shoulders shrugged.

"However, I do have a lifetime of experience in treating wounds, healing injuries, alleviating sickness. Let me see these Brave-Warriors-Who-Remember and I will do everything I can for them."

His work was highly effective.

---

Day 13. The Crippled Bone.Medicine/Intelligence. Void for +1k1. 3 called raises. TN30: 8d10o10k5 56
Dragon ClanEarthTattooed • Herbalist • Sane • Enlightened
Samurai Without Borders (Co-founder)
Tattoos: Lion (Chest); Balance (Back)
Equipment: Yumi, knife, sturdy clothing, travel pack.

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:30 am

Xia takes notes as she peers over Nadare's shoulder.

Note: Results appear to correlate closely with lack of clothing on medicine man.

Note: Investigate Dragon healing tradition, bedside manner = bad?

Canary

Post by Canary » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:37 am

Miyako wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:08 am
"And it will be done," Miyako responded to the Nezumi, nodding her head. She thought she could tell there was a little wariness in its response, but though she wasn't completely sure fully on his 'we believe', she herself believed she had gotten somewhere with that. Words must be followed with action, however. She bent down to rummage through her pack of things, and from her pack she found a small little leather pouch. She stood back up and looked over to the others, particularly the tattooed man and the other woman that were there.

"I know not the ways of medicine, but I know Nature, and I think that these herbs that I found in the jungles further north of here, back when they were healthy and vibrant, may help in treatment or to supplement your supplies. In the meanwhile, I will join with Hanzou on the watch," she stated, offering up the pouch.
The Nezumi nodded, seeming to relax a little. "Thank you."

Canary

Post by Canary » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:38 am

[Successes: 2/6, Failures: 0/3, Raises: 6/10]

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:42 am

Meanwhile, Hanzou stood watch near the edge of the camp with one of the nezumi. He watched the rain with a mixture of sorrow and disgust, as the few plants in the area blackened and fell apart. The water spirits had always favored him. To see the element corrupted in this way was beyond disturbing.

The rain wasn't all he saw, however. His sharp eyes caught movement on the perimeter and he quickly pointed it out to the nezumi.

"There!" he spoke softly. "Warn the others."

- - -
The Crippled Bone, Investigation/Perception, 2 CR, TN 30, Wary, VP +1k1: 8d10o10k5 44

Canary

Post by Canary » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:51 am

Hanzou wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:42 am
Meanwhile, Hanzou stood watch near the edge of the camp with one of the nezumi. He watched the rain with a mixture of sorrow and disgust, as the few plants in the area blackened and fell apart. The water spirits had always favored him. To see the element corrupted in this way was beyond disturbing.

The rain wasn't all he saw, however. His sharp eyes caught movement on the perimeter and he quickly pointed it out to the nezumi.

"There!" he spoke softly. "Warn the others."

- - -
The Crippled Bone, Investigation/Perception, 2 CR, TN 30, Wary, VP +1k1: 8d10o10k5 44
The rat nodded an scurried over to the few archers left, and the creature Hanzou spotted was quickly skewered on the end of a steel-tipped arrow.

Canary

Post by Canary » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:52 am

[Successes: 3/6, Failures: 0/3, Raises: 8/10]

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:59 am

Meanwhile, back under cover
"Fascinating technique Togashi-san, might I suggest-"
A nearby rat squeaks loudly in pain
"Uh, what I was going to say was-"
It squeaks again
"....I'll be right back."

Xia walks over to the giant writing ratman and squints down, a deep cut on its stood out starkly against its dark fur, the red enflamed edges of the wound didn't look promising.
"You uh, you've got a pretty bad cut there. I've got something for the pain if you don't mind....."
The Nezumi just looks at her
"I'm here as a ....'friend-friend' To help, Do...you...understaaaaand?"
The creature winces "I speak-speak fine manthing tongue."
"....Well now I have to work on my preconceptions, may I apply the medicine?"
It nods and Xia carefully applies a salve.

(( Day 13 The Crippled Bone, medicine/intelligence on base TN 25, calling one raise to TN 30, voiding: 6d10o10k5+4 42

1 more success with 1 raise called))

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:05 am

Hanzou followed the nezumi he'd been paired with, as they moved to a defend the camp.

"You were telling me about these skickt creatures, I'd like to know more. What are we facing?"
Last edited by Hanzou on Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Nezumi Forward Camp”