The Second Shield

Canary

The Second Shield

Post by Canary » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:29 am

You have been tasked as the second line of defense of the shugenja enacting the ritual. If you fall, all is lost.

Participants: 4 character, plus Shinjo

Time: Early Evening. This event will open at 09:00 PDT.

Rules:
This is a roleplaying thread until such time as the characters in Those Who Defend can no longer continue and the enemies left make it through them. After that time, it will become a combat thread with the remaining enemies/waves.
GM + Bird + Glorious Plumage + Experienced

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Shinjo

Re: The Second Shield

Post by Shinjo » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:14 am

Shinjo stood tensely near the shugenja, splitting her attention between watching their years of work to retrieve her brother come to fruition and watching for any enemies that may break through the first ranks.
Kami | Paragon of Honesty | Paragon of Compassion | Daredevil | Quick | Absolute Direction | Wary

Honor: 10.0, Status: 9.0, Glory: 10.0

Run by GM Canary

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:16 am

Nanzi glanced to the Kirin champion and said, "This will succeed."
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace
Supporting Staff: Doji Jigutsuji, Nanzi Jongwun, Raven on shoulder

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:28 am

Kinsen sides with Nanzi, swinging a newly received and jade-nail-coated proto-tetsubo. "Oh! You're here."
Stag Clan • Waifu • Bushi • Fierce • Blessed • Rawr • Ouch • Jade Nails • Golden Eyes • Noriaki Beast
DescriptionTheme • Reputation: What is Expected • Status: 4.0 • Glory: 9.0 • Infamy: 1.0

Wears: Black Silk Choker, Jade Pendant (Hantei's Gift).
Outdoor Gear: Battle-Ready Kimono (Designed by Jiyo Ayumu), Small Knife, Bronze Sword, Bow & Arrows, Light Armor.
Indoor Gear: Fabulous White-Golden Kimono (Doji's Gift).
TN to be recognized is 0

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:32 am

Nanzi held out his arm and allowed his Raven to land on his gloved hand and he said, “Where else would I be, dear sister?”

He gently stroked the raven’s sleek black feathers and then said, “Stay alert friend, this is a moment of history.” He then raised his hand and the raven took off once more to circle and keep and eye out for trouble avoiding the worst of the weather.
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:43 am

Nanzi wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:16 am
Nanzi glanced to the Kirin champion and said, "This will succeed."
Shinjo nodded, though she still looked fairly tense. "Yes... I know."
Kami | Paragon of Honesty | Paragon of Compassion | Daredevil | Quick | Absolute Direction | Wary

Honor: 10.0, Status: 9.0, Glory: 10.0

Run by GM Canary

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:49 am

Nanzi wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:32 am
Nanzi held out his arm and allowed his Raven to land on his gloved hand and he said, “Where else would I be, dear sister?”

He gently stroked the raven’s sleek black feathers and then said, “Stay alert friend, this is a moment of history.” He then raised his hand and the raven took off once more to circle and keep and eye out for trouble avoiding the worst of the weather.
She smiles at his question, replying and cocking her head back at the sudden raven landing, "Er... watching pretty birds... but guess you can do plenty of that afterwards."

With a nod to Shinjo, Kinsen's internal energy is gets boosted over the top. She confesses, having being sleeping in –– closely –– the same tent for some nights about now, "It is so good to have you nearby."
Stag Clan • Waifu • Bushi • Fierce • Blessed • Rawr • Ouch • Jade Nails • Golden Eyes • Noriaki Beast
DescriptionTheme • Reputation: What is Expected • Status: 4.0 • Glory: 9.0 • Infamy: 1.0

Outdoor Gear: Battle-Ready Kimono (Designed by Jiyo Ayumu), Small Knife, Bronze Sword, Bow & Arrows, Light Armor.
TN to be recognized is 0

Kanna

Post by Kanna » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:55 am

Kanna was here as well, and pacing nervously. That she wasn't directly with Reiko filled her with a clear sense of unease... but one that she was doing her best to quell. She couldn't be at Reiko's side right now. Physical threats were her job. And being the last line of defense was going to be her job. She was quiet, eyes narrow. We get past this. Reiko and Fu Leng comes home. Then I can rest a bit. Marry a pretty girl. Maybe actual start working on training a bit more. But first. We get past this.
Spider Clan | Reiko's Shadow | Wary | Warrior
Carries: Tetsubo, Bronze Sword, Practical Clothing, Bottle of Wine, Bottle of Beer

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:15 am

Ayumu was there as well, in his armor discolored by splashes of acid, very obviously nervous. But who wouldn't be in such circumstances?
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:23 am

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:15 am
Ayumu was there as well, in his armor discolored by splashes of acid, very obviously nervous. But who wouldn't be in such circumstances?
Nanzi was all smiles and confidence. He said to the defenders, "We all must die sometime, my friends, but we will do so only after we have held this line. A samurai knows Courage, and Honor is stronger than Iron."

He added, "We are the bulwark against the Terror. We are the Defenders of Ningen-do. We are Samurai and we shall know no fear."

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:34 am

"Fearless people do stupid things Lord Nanzi. I'd rather be aware of the danger and use my fear as fuel to prepare for it as best as I can."

While saying that, Ayumu started meticulously coating the blade of his yari with dust from a small, raw, uncut piece of jade.

"We've fought a beast that was basically immune to anything but jade yesterday. I've heard you also had one such encounter."
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:37 am

"Courage is not fearlessness," he said chuckling applying Jade to his blade. "Courage is the strength to overcome that which brings terror."

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:56 am

"Well, if the monsters challenge us to a word definition fight, we'll be sure to win with you on our side.

Joke aside, I don't think courage will be the issue. No one who has come this far lacks it. Though one may argue the most courageous ones are the ones on the frontline at this very moment, not us."

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:00 am

"There are no tiers here, we are fulfilling an important role, same as those going into the Pit," he said looking at the strange man.

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:10 am

Kanna wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:55 am
Kanna was here as well, and pacing nervously. That she wasn't directly with Reiko filled her with a clear sense of unease... but one that she was doing her best to quell. She couldn't be at Reiko's side right now. Physical threats were her job. And being the last line of defense was going to be her job. She was quiet, eyes narrow. We get past this. Reiko and Fu Leng comes home. Then I can rest a bit. Marry a pretty girl. Maybe actual start working on training a bit more. But first. We get past this.
Bad blood or not, Honor binds Kinsen to show courtesy. She bows to greet a fellow woman-in-arms. "May the light of the Kami guide us."
Nanzi wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:00 am
"There are no tiers here, we are fulfilling an important role, same as those going into the Pit," he said looking at the strange man.
Kinsen nods to Nanzi with a smirk, and raises her eyebrows playfully to Ayumu, saying, "I am glad for the work you did to my kimono. I might finally put your geniousness to good use. Although, I hope it won't be necessary."

TN to be recognized is 0

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:19 am

Nanzi wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:00 am
"I am aware of the importance of our current duty. I am also aware that it is the position where I can be the most useful.

But nonetheless, it's easier to be courageous when you're slightly farther away from doom.

It's like... I've been on cooking duty a lot of this expedition. It's an important duty, vital even. People need to eat to not die. But I wouldn't say it requires as much courage as what we are doing today."
Hantei Kinsen wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:10 am
Kinsen nods to Nanzi with a smirk, and raises her eyebrows playfully to Ayumu, saying, "I am glad for the work you did to my kimono. I might finally put your geniousness to good use. Although, I hope it won't be necessary."
"Thank you for your kind words lady Kinsen.

In a way, it's relaxing to think that the best that could happen would be for us to do nothing today."

Kanna

Post by Kanna » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:21 am

Hantei Kinsen wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:10 am
Bad blood or not, Honor binds Kinsen to show courtesy. She bows to greet a fellow woman-in-arms. "May the light of the Kami guide us."
Kanna, on the other hand, glares at Kinsen with a bare nod of her head. "And may our arms be strong enough to carry the day," is her cold response. Which was probably more polite than one could reasonably have expected.
Spider Clan | Reiko's Shadow | Wary | Warrior
Carries: Tetsubo, Bronze Sword, Practical Clothing, Bottle of Wine, Bottle of Beer

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:27 am

Nanzi said calmly, "Speak ill of my Courage, or of those that stand beside you, one more time Jiyo-san and Nanzi will know the reason why."

"If you wish to revel in your cowardice, do so in silence."

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:34 am

"That's not what I'm saying at...

Let's just stop there. I feel like we're using the same words, but don't put the same meaning behind them.

Our actions have proven and will prove more than anything we could say."

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:38 am

"Nanzi-sama likes to win. So, Ayumu-san, let's talk about victory please. He's the head of his family. Hmmm." Kinsen chants up to the bickering pair.

TN to be recognized is 0

Return to “The Edge of the Pit”