Name Magic, But Not As We Know It [D15, LE]

Canary

Name Magic, But Not As We Know It [D15, LE]

Post by Canary » Fri May 22, 2020 7:53 pm

Nanzi was alerted by his companion about what he was thinking about when they were taking shelter in the ruins the previous day. He asked him to step away from the camp for a little while so they could discuss it.

Participants: Nanzi

Time: Late Evening

Rules: None. This is a roleplay thread. Rules will be introduced if and when they become relevant.
GM + Bird + Glorious Plumage + Experienced

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Nanzi

Re: Name Magic, But Not As We Know It [D15, LE]

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:09 pm

Nanzi was annoyed at the jungle, more so at the inconvenience of it and how it tried to gnaw away at his elegant and beautiful clothing and armor. He kept the blade, Doji’s Favor, in hand as he approached whatever it was that needed to be seen or done.

He would have to mention to any would be seers, Dragons, or wisemen that being vague and ephemeral was a quick path to getting a sword in their gut for wasting his time. Maybe Shinsei would give him a reason to demonstrate this newfound philosophy of talk plain you idiot, yet he brushed it aside for now.
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace
Supporting Staff: Doji Jigutsuji, Nanzi Jongwun, Raven on shoulder

Canary

Post by Canary » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Nanzi... I apologize for asking you to come outside the camp at a time like this. Speaking to you the other day at the ruins, you said that not all were meant to live in solitude. I don't know if that jogged a memory, or what, but I... I think you're right. I think there... might be a purpose to me existing like this - to live powerlessly without a name, but still exist.

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:18 pm

Nanzi replied, Nanzi would hear what you have found, Nanashi-san.
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace

Canary

Post by Canary » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:02 pm

... It's... I will understand if you hear this and hesitate. It admitted, and there's a feeling like a sigh. I think... I could bond with someone with a name and share their name, in a sense. Names being what they are, I would probably become somewhat like them. Perhaps even gain a physical form. I'm not sure, but I feel the capability.

Maybe then I could really help. Not just my weak efforts until now, but fighting by your side.

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:12 pm

Name magic and Names are dangerous things, but you have also proven yourself to be an ally to Nanzi and the expedition if you gain a body it seems just that you give your service to the family of Nanzi and the Crane, if Nanzi is to give of his Name to a good friend then the friend can give his service to that of Nanzi, he replied after considering this request.

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:37 am

Names are dangerous, so I understand caution, it replied. As long as I shared your name, I would be tied to you. Service may be part and parcel to that. You've proven a friend, though, so I would be honored to serve you.

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:44 am

Nanzi considered that, it was a dangerous thing but he was here on a dangerous mission to a place that was dangerous by its very existence to do a thing that should be impossible. He had long passed the point where he could stop and say perhaps he should be cautious.

He was already a fool for being here, even if he was a Dutiful one.

Nanzi sheathed his blade and said aloud, “Nanzi will do as Nanashi-san asks, and may our fates be bound from this day till the end of all things. Nanzi has spoken these words and these words are true.”

At least none could say that Nanzi did anything by half.

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:01 am

He can almost physically hear the soft voice of the spirit not as it speaks. "All that's left is to bind the oath in blood... Then we will share your name, and I will finally be able to aid you and your expedition properly. Your name is strong... I will not take that power from you, but instead it will be reflected in me, as I will become a partial reflection of you. We will be blood brothers."

[Nanzi must deal 3 wounds to himself to finish it.]

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:04 am

Nanzi seals the deal in blood perhaps unwittingly unleashing a new horror.

OOC: Take 3 wounds, doom Empire.

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:49 am

[-10 Purity]
oninonanzi.jpg
oninonanzi.jpg (124.63 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
Smoke seems to gather nearby, then grow larger... and larger...

Soon, a creature more than twice Nanzi's own height emerges. It has a bird-like head and four arms, the fingers at the end tipped with fierce claws. It's feathered, and the feathers seem to almost form a high collar behind its neck and a cloak that spreads out behind it. There's something strangely elegant about the creature, even as horrifying as it is. It stretches out its arms and lifts its hands, two wicked bone blades flashing out to extend from its hands.

Truly, a monster of the Crane Clan if ever there could be one.

"Yes..." It said, satisfaction in its voice. "This will do nicely."

Nanzi feels a pressure on his mind.

Contested Willpower: 5d10o10k5 25

[Nanzi must roll willpower with a bonus of +3k2]

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:55 am

Nanzi held firm.

OOC: SUCCEED?
Willpower + Void + 3k2: 7d10o10k6 36

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:15 am

[Success!]

The monstrous creature kneeled before him. "I now share your name and am bound to your will. I believe we will do great things together, Nanzi-sama."

Nanzi feels a burning on the back of his hand. A glance reveals a new mark.
onimark.png
onimark.png (100.78 KiB) Viewed 3176 times

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:19 am

Nanzi looked at the symbol and asked, “What is this, and what should Nanzi call you?”

“Also your form is a bit conspicuous, my friend.”

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:37 am

"I am now Oni no Nanzi... That mark signifies our bond. Though, as I take another form, so should I take another name. It may be, as you put it, conspicuous." It shifted, a strange movement in the air, and the massive creature was bathed in smoke once more before it dissipated to reveal a more mundane, if very handsome form. "Is this acceptable? I believe, as I now share part of your name, you should choose what this form shall be called."
illusionL.jpg
illusionL.jpg (64.82 KiB) Viewed 3158 times

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:47 am

The man was handsome, nearly so as Nanzi, perish the thought. He was his friend, his confidant but also in a way it was his blood that birthed in him into the world, his will that bound them together. There would be a cost to pay for what transpired, maybe not today… but someday.

Yet for now it did not matter, there were bigger things to attend to and Nanashi… no… no longer was he of no name. This man was in many ways closer to him than any son, and yet more alien than anything he could know in ningen-do. He chose the name that formed the perfect dichotomy between what he knew of himself and did not know of himself, “Hadananzi, that is the only name that seems fitting for you my friend.”

“Can we still speak as before or is that connection gone?” he asked. “Also, others will question you with jade, can you appear to have it?”

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:02 am

illusionS.jpg
illusionS.jpg (23.26 KiB) Viewed 3138 times
"Hadananzi... It does feel fitting."

He nodded, a piece of "jade", nearly indistinguishable from the real thing, strung onto a thing strip of leather appearing in his hand in a puff of black smoke. He pushed back his hood and placed the jade around his neck to rest on his mostly bare chest. He pulled the hood back up and then pressed the jade to his lips as others had done. "You gave it to me, of course."

He closed his eyes. Can you hear me? It was indeed the same touch on his mind.

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:47 am

Excellent, this will make things easier. You know the plan; it seems best to stay near me and alleviate any questions. Tomorrow is the fateful day, he considered mentally.

Nanzi added, “We will do great things together, and strengthen the Crane and Empire immensely.”

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:57 am

illusionS.jpg
illusionS.jpg (23.26 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
Of course.

"We will. I am greatly looking forward to it," he said. He looked down at his hand and flexed it. "It's nice to have a physical form."

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:24 am

Nanzi nodded, “Nanzi imagines so, living without form…. Nanzi has trouble contemplating what that could be like. It does not matter now, you have form and purpose and we are as brothers now. In time we will have to introduce you to my friends, though the secret of you will be between us and perhaps my lineage.”

“Can you take other shapes… what can you do, Hadananzi? Nanzi is curious.”

Return to “The Jungle”