[D16, LN] Watching the Backtrail

Doji Kaze

[D16, LN] Watching the Backtrail

Post by Doji Kaze » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:12 pm

Kaze's patrol had come to an end. He was back at the edge of camp, just beyond the comfort of the firelight. He slung a heavy, bulging sack down next to a stone and perched behind it, sharp ears tuned to the sounds of the night, waiting for retaliation. Let the others rest, he thought, I will watch. When one kicks the nest, one must expect the hornets.

Stealth=32
Perception/Investigation vs. ambush=31
* Crane Clan * ex-Chinsei * Very, Very Quiet * Reformed Wild Man of the Woods * In Love With Words *

Equipment: Yari, Nage-yari, Yumi, Ashiguru armor, some rope, a jade pendant, and a shovel.

Seppun Dawei

Re: [D16, LN] Watching the Backtrail

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:19 pm

It shows something, certainly, that Dawei had much the same thoughts as Kaze, knowing that the vigil could not be relaxed in the field despite victory--a clear one, though not yet complete.

We only win when we get back safely.

He is evidently fatigued, though, and less able to hide himself than his wont (Stealth 19; thanks, Orokos), and far less observant (Investigation 12).

He seems to slump down with his back to the stone--not noticing the sack next to it in the darkness--and exhales heavily.

I expect Kaze-kun is watching. I haven't seen him.

It will be good to see him.
Seppun Dawei
Stag Clan * Bushi * Quiet * O-Iemoto * Experienced
Status 2.0, Glory 2.0, Reputation 4.5
In village: wears sturdy clothes; carries bronze sword, knife, often a piece of wood he's carving, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
Out of village: wears ashigaru armor; carries bronze sword, yumi, quiver of arrows, traveling pack, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
"Speaking" * Thinking
Description from Dawn 1 * Current Description
Player based in Kerrville, Texas

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:35 pm

Kaze smiles his private smile behind his stone. Kaze: III, Dawei: 0 Then he slunk around it and sat in Dawei's lap, embracing him in a deep hug and resting his head on Dawei's shoulder.

"Welcome back, my love."
* Crane Clan * ex-Chinsei * Very, Very Quiet * Reformed Wild Man of the Woods * In Love With Words *

Equipment: Yari, Nage-yari, Yumi, Ashiguru armor, some rope, a jade pendant, and a shovel.

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:42 pm

Dawei starts as the weight lands in his lap, but only for a moment, and his arms swiftly encircle Kaze, clutching him to him tightly.

"Oh, Beloved!" he sighs out, the exhalation carrying the traces of the day. "I am sorry to have kept you waiting!"
Seppun Dawei
In village: wears sturdy clothes; carries bronze sword, knife, often a piece of wood he's carving, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
Out of village: wears ashigaru armor; carries bronze sword, yumi, quiver of arrows, traveling pack, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
"Speaking" * Thinking

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:54 pm

"You need not worry, darling. I have been very busy while you were winning laurels and honor for our family."

He pulls back so that he can slide his left hand up to Dawei's chest to feel his heartbeat.

"I think you will find that the right flank of the camp is much less likely to be an avenue of approach for the little devils than it had been previously." He gave a sharp nod, his face a picture of triumph. Of course, his head was still on Dawei's shoulder, so the result was mostly softly bonking Dawei in the jaw with his forehead.

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:07 pm

Dawei's heart beats strongly, and the press of jade there remains.

"I'll steer clear of that side of things, then, love."

He bends his neck--a bit awkwardly, perhaps--and kisses Kaze's brow.

"It has been a trip, certainly. Many wonders."

His hand reaches up, cups Kaze's cheek.

"But I think I found the greatest of them."
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:21 pm

Kaze is silent for a moment, absorbing the weight of that statement. His breathing synced with his lover's.

Then he whispered in Dawei's ear. "I was...frightened, up here. It looked, for a moment, like Togashi-sama and I were going to be the last line of defense. I thought...that you were in great danger and I could do nothing to help you. Were you frightened, down in the pit? Was it..." He trailed off, pressing his face to Dawei's neck.

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:34 pm

"It was hell," replies Dawei. "And it was...not easy. Like running while holding your breath, or swimming. There wasn't time to do anything other than the rescue; I couldn't let myself think about the rest.

"Except for getting back to you."
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:50 pm

"And here you are." Kaze pressed a kiss to Dawei's neck. "My hero, who is to be my husband, is safe in my arms." He sighed. "I expect that there will be a lot less heroism in the future, though. I do not know if my nerves could take it."

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:00 am

"If I'm your hero, I'm hero enough, Kaze-kun. But I don't think we're going to have to do so much again."

He chuckles.

"I don't think my nerves would handle it, either."

He squeezes Kaze tighter.

"But I could definitely take you holding me."
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:12 am

"Yes, this is nice. Much more of this." Kaze smiled against his fiance. "And the hunting together. This and the hunting together."

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:14 am

Dawei nods, sighs, sits silent for a time.

"Will you speak me a poem, Beloved?"
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:32 am

Kaze breathed in, then out it came:

"Stronger than mountains:
We two trees, once so lonely,
Growing together.

When the winds roar, his embrace,
Like great roots, defies the storm.

As saplings we grew,
Young branches weather-beaten,
Slight trunks lashed by rain

I am sheltered in his lee,
and he finds a home in mine."

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:34 am

In the darkness, Dawei smiles.

"I like that. 'Sheltered in his lee.' It's a good thought."
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:39 am

"Hai," Kaze says, though the rest of his speech is interrupted by a yawn. "...I like your lap. You make me feel safe."

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:00 am

Dawei says nothing in reply, but simply strokes Kaze's back gently.
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:09 am

And so Kaze drifted to sleep in Dawei's arms, his own grip slackening as he slid into sweet dreams and the week's tensions began to slide from his shoulders.

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:15 am

Dawei feels Kaze relax, hears his breathing ease.

I could do this every night, he thinks.

/scene
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Return to “The Camp”