[LE15] - It's not like Jigoku doesn't know we're here (Expecting)

Nozomi

[LE15] - It's not like Jigoku doesn't know we're here (Expecting)

Post by Nozomi » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:54 am

Phi pulled her flute out as she settled in, looking up into the ominous darkness of the sky overhead. Soon, she'd be on duty, but she didn't need to be just yet. And there was little point in concealing their collected presence. There were close to fifty of them, between the kami, the few servants alive, the ratlings they'd just picked up, along with supply wagons and the like. They weren't stealthy at all. Hell knew they were coming, so she saw little point in being too sneaky about anything. They could save that for tomorrow.

But if they were doing some god-damned wedding ceremony to be followed by shamans chanting everywhere and golden lights from the heavens, this wasn't going to be a very stealthy mission. Might as well enjoy herself, so she began to play, though admittedly her focus was off right about now, so the notes were rudimentary at best. Still, it was something.
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Ongaku no Ryoko

Re: [LE15] - It's not like Jigoku doesn't know we're here (Expecting)

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:02 pm

Ryoko was wandering the camp, restless with the moment of truth so close.

Hearing music, she was drawn, like a moth to lamp, and drifted over. Seeing Phi, she waved, and inquired, "Konbonwa, Phi! Do you mind if I join you?"
Takemori :: Master of Ceremonies :: Voice :: Horned Girl :: Music Lover :: Jealous
Resources: Twin Tonfa, Dai-Tsuchi, Morin Khuuru, Jade-Flower Glove, Tago the drummer.
Profile :: Themes

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:18 pm

Ongaku no Ryoko wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:02 pm
Ryoko was wandering the camp, restless with the moment of truth so close.

Hearing music, she was drawn, like a moth to lamp, and drifted over. Seeing Phi, she waved, and inquired, "Konbonwa, Phi! Do you mind if I join you?"
She blinked and paused, sighing a bit. Her nerves were getting to her when it came to the music. She knew that, so the interruption was appreciated. Looking up at Ryoko, she patted the spot next to her and smiled, nodding. "I was hoping I'd get to see you before tomorrow, you know... when not surrounded by all the big wigs. Ngh... I hate meetings."
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:00 pm

"Yes, it was... contentious."

Ryoko shrugged. "Our tribal council is often heated, but the stakes are lower, so perhaps I am more used to that sort of bickering..."

Shaking her head, she took a seat by Phi, and unslung her own instrument.

"I suppose it's the nature of man, even immortal, to be stubborn and forceful."

Resting the wooden neck against her own, she added, thoughtfully, "I do wonder if it will all come apart, here at the end... it'd truly be a shame to come this far and fail."
Takemori :: Master of Ceremonies :: Voice :: Horned Girl :: Music Lover :: Jealous
Resources: Twin Tonfa, Dai-Tsuchi, Morin Khuuru, Jade-Flower Glove, Tago the drummer.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:20 am

"Like I said in the tent. I'm afraid. It's why he didn't pick me. I've been terrified for almost this whole trip, more than I ever thought I could be," she admitted, shaking her head. It was no longer hard to admit it. This place... chilled the bone. "But I have to hold onto hope. Yeah, Reiko is terrified it won't work and something will happen to her husband. Kinsen doesn't want Hantei to go down there for fear something could go wrong. Nanzi... who the fuck knows what that man really wants? And you... Matsu... I have a feeling you're going to be worried about the same guy I am going down there. We're all scared, but I have to hold onto hope until it's gone. It's the only thing keeping this place from eating me alive."

She laughed softly and glanced over at her. "So... you and Yama? I saw the looks he was giving you in there."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:23 am

Ryoko listened, expression thoughtful and compassionate, giving small nods of agreement, and then... blushed crimson at the final comment.

"Eto... I believe I have had a positive affect on his mood... and I am glad of it. He is a good man."

All answers to questions that were not the one she had been asked.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:29 am

"He is. And for both you and for Matsu's sake, I am praying that that good man crawls out of the bowels of hell with his lord tomorrow. I like Matsu a lot, you know. She's got fire in her," she said, perfectly willing to tease around it a little even as she made sure to let Ryoko see that she approved of it if the two of them got to have more time together.

"Not exactly the sort of place you go to get your mood lightened, but sometimes it brings the best of us out, I guess. You know, I'm glad I met you, Ryoko. You're... an interesting person."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:43 am

"I hope that's a good thing."

She chuckled, face still very pink, and added, softly, "I don't know why, but there is a certain strength, not just physical, about him. When I met him, he was caught in the traps of the past, the sorrows held there... but he has been able to move onward now. To be there for his daughter, to see possibilities when before he saw endings."

Ryoko sighed. "Whatever part I played in that, I'm glad... and I'm glad I met you as well. Coming on this journey has been scary, but it's also been important... I've seen so much and met so many different people... more than a lifetime, it feels like... all in a few weeks. I imagine I'll be sorting this all out in my head for years."

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:54 am

"Sometimes, we don't get to say goodbye. I think he needed that," even if there had been a falseness to the visions of the swamp, closure was closure. "But I'm glad you were able to do that for him. You'll probably see me around some, the more you stick around with him. I made a promise to come out and train Matsu and with... well, the decisions that I've made I will probably be wandering more than I expected."

A shake of the head and her eyes closed. "I don't know that any of us are really going to completely sort all of this out ever, Ryoko. But hey, at least we can try once tomorrow is over." She pointed down at her instrument. "You were thinking of playing, yes? I might actually do better following someone else's lead."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:14 am

"I'd be glad to play alongside you... and while I don't know what the future holds, I wouldn't mind sharing music in the future as well."

With a small smile, she settled her morin khuuru between her knees, bow cradled in her right hand.

"Any sort of song you prefer?"

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:24 am

"You know, the unfortunate thing about a Xun is that it's just not built for happy songs," she said, giving Ryoko an apologetic look. "It's always such a mournful thing, so sad and morose. You think we can do something maybe a little on the contemplative side? I would like that, as opposed to the dirges I usually play most nights."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:42 am

"Certainly, I will try to set a thoughtful tone."

Ryoko smiled faintly, letting the bow rest on the strings, and then beginning to saw. The song which came was a little bit more mournful than hoped, ending up with a little bit too much of a dirge quality, but Ryoko added her voice to the mix, an old soldier's song springing forth.

"Where are the men of the old legion,
Who fought together side by side?
Shoulder to shoulder, blade by blade,
Fought till they fell and died.
Who so ready and undismayed?
Who so merry and true?
Where are the men of the old legion?
Where are the boys we once knew?

Then steadily, shoulder to shoulder,
steadily blade by blade,
ready and strong, marching along,
be like the men of the old legion.

Over the hills, far away they lie,
far form the land of their love.
Kingdoms alter, years go by,
but the sky is still there up above.
Now in earth, proudly laid,
find they a place or a part,
fierce boys of the old legion,
sleep deep within our hearts."

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:45 am

Phi tried to keep up, though admittedly her improv skills with the flute were about on par with the other's playing and nothing like Ryoko's beautiful voice. Still, she liked to think that this moment had a lot more to do with the expression of the two together of the beauty of the song, not necessarily trying to capture the perfect performance.

Admittedly, Ryoko was intimidatingly good with the instrument in her hands, and it showed. The song was ... militant. Old. She wondered about it, about where a shepherd had heard such a song, but who could say with such things? Stories traveled far and fast, and as the music played, she found herself lost in it. It was uplifting, at least. The thought of it would make the evening's watch easier.
Last edited by Nozomi on Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:24 am

Ryoko brought the song to conclusion, taking a slow breath, and then glancing at Phi. "Sorry about the off tune sawing... I tried a little too hard to set the tone, I think."

A wry smile. "Still, we can sing and play because we aren't like the boys of the old legion... not yet. We still have our work ahead of us."

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:35 am

"Please. I can barely play," she admitted, winking back at Ryoko. "Even poorly played, you're doing better than my meager offerings. I always blow a little too hard. Makes the notes shrill." It felt good to laugh a little about it, to take ease in the imperfections. And to what he said, the girl's eyes closed and she nodded.

"I've never heard of that legion, but you're right. We have work to do. I don't plan for tomorrow to be my last day on the earth, certainly."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:06 am

"Nor do I - and I don't intend to get stuck in the bottom of some pit, or turned into some sort of monster either."

Ryoko laughed, perhaps a sense of tension driving her to the false mirth.

"But there isn't any preparation left - save a hopeless attempt to sleep and then the deed itself. So tonight... we celebrate, for we live."

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:15 am

"One way or another, I am absolutely knocking myself out to sleep tonight. I am not going into that without a good night's sleep." Company would help. "But for the moment, yes. We can celebrate our lives. And, while I know the nezumi aren't exactly friends for your people, maybe a little song for the one who went on ahead of us. We live in part because of him, yes?"

She was... concerned about Ryoko and making sure she stayed safe of the Nezumi, but still... these ones had been good thus far.

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:57 am

"Oh, did one go ahead?"

Ryoko sounded surprised.

"I hadn't heard. I hope they will be safe... I know that I'm not much of a friend of Nezumi, but... they never hurt me personally. I hope it stays that way."

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:04 am

"Oh, sorry... it's a saying. Ch'Jack I think his name was. I have trouble with their names. He died fighting a fiery demon with some of the others. On ahead with the legion, so to speak. A song for the fallen in the name of this fight. Hopefully the last." Though she did doubt that. This fight would cost them. It was unavoidable, however fortunate they'd been thus far.

"And yes. I hope it stays that way too. At least, as you said, the ones with us have been good."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:43 am

"Yes. I don't know about the past transgressions of my ancestors or theirs... and I don't know that it matters now. Not when there are mutual threats which none of us can handle alone."

Shaking her head, she added, "Catastrophe makes strange bedfellows, I suppose."

Return to “The Camp”