No More Night Terrors (D13, LE, Open)

Jin

Re: No More Night Terrors (D13, LE, Open)

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:38 am

Another shake of his head, "No, we did not know to bring any either. Kyosei knew it was special, that it was somehow linked to the heavens, we even learned how to summon it temporarily. But we didn't think that ritual was more than a fun trick." His speech quiets for a moment, "I didn't even know to teach it to my students before they came."
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:59 am

"Well, then it sounds like maybe most of us were all in the same boat coming here," Umeno said, sounding matter of fact, and perhaps a bit relieved. "One of the things bothering me the most on this journey was thinking I was sent here with people knowing what was to come and not telling me. I mean, doesn't change the fact that we don't know what's to come in the end, but... well, you get it."
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Former Kawagaya | Stand-Oafish | Blessed
Carries: Armor, Dai Tsuchi, Tetsubo, Tanto, Hat and Cloak, Pack

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:29 am

"I do. One thing to be marching into hell in the dark another thing entirely to be doing so while the person who sent you is hoarding candles."
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:39 am

Omeno gave a small nod. She was silent a moment while Jin looked at plants before speaking up again to dispel the silence. "So what's she like anyway?"

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:45 am

A smile in the darkness, "Some say everything about them is bigger, better than mortals. I don't think that's true... and I don't think she does either... but if it were of them all her heart is the biggest by far. Even if not one of us stood up to take on this mission I have not a single doubt she would have tried to save her brother anyway. No matter what the cost to her might be in the process." He considers, "Not that she's a fool. I guess if she made it all the way there and he was truly lost she would not throw her life away but she would sure as hell try first."

Another pause and his smile lessens a bit, "Outside of that she is curious, the soul of an explorer, if we survive the war to come I doubt she will be in the Empire for long. There is far too much world out there she has yet to see. If I survive I hope to travel with her then as well."

Description

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:04 am

"The Empire, hm?" She was still getting used to the idea of an 'empire', since it'd all just been 'Rokugan' before. "Well, that sounds a bit like the things I've heard. Certainly it's why Bayushi-Kami said she was coming on this trip. Still, he's got enough compassion as well to take people like me in, and send me on this trip to help his siblings out."

A pause. "Did you meet him? I heard you were at the tournament after all."

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:20 am

"Not personally. I saw him during some events and such but never had a proper conversation with him."

Description

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:44 am

"Can't say many people have 'proper' conversations with Bayushi-Kami, not even his followers," Umeno said with a touch of humor. "Still... even though he's private, I know he was worried about Shinjo and Hantei, not to mention Fu Leng. A little more pessamistic about our chances than your lady though, if I understand my lord at all."

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:24 am

"I think she worries more than she lets on. But I suppose that is the burden of leadership - to swallow ones own fears and doubts to help try to help those who follow you overcome their own."

Description

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:41 am

That caused a grunt from the young bushi. "Don't think of worrying as being afraid, but I get you. Bayushi-Kami's not afraid, but I know he doubts almost everything for instance. Worrying I don't know about though. Worrying seems to always follow compassion though, so honestly not surprised if your Lady worries like a grandmother with her first grandchild."

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:28 pm

"So what is Bayushi like? His brother described him, not negatively mind you, as the type to get people to do whatever he wished and be proud of themselves for coming up with the idea."

Description

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:34 pm

That brought a new laugh. "I wouldn't quite go that far. He can certainly be obtuse when he wishes, but with those loyal to him, he can be quite straight forward indeed. Very thoughtful and cautious, doesn't like rushing into things. Could say he's pessamistic, that he always suspects the worst, but I think he more just plans for the worst. Very private, even with those who joined him."

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:42 pm

Jin chuckles, "Just what a master of deception would want you to believe! But, as I said, Shiba seems very fond of his twin just respecting of where their talents diverge."

Description

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:39 pm

"I think the reputation he's garnered as a deceiver is a bit unfair. I suppose he could be quite the master indeed and no one would know, but like I said, I think he's just private and thoughtful." Umeno shrugged. "So you've met the new 'Emperor' then?"

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:55 pm

"Yes, though before he bore such a title. He impressed me and I am glad that he came out ahead in their little tournament. If things had unfolded slightly differently perhaps I would have been forming an Imperial family instead of one for the Ki-Rin."

Description

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:31 pm

"I'm hardly surprised that he won, given I've heard him quite skilled martially. I'm certain that things would be different now if one of the other siblings had won." She shrugged. "Would we still be on this expedition if, say, Doji-Kami had won?"

It was a silly example to her, but served the point.

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:32 pm

"I would be, because I know Shinjo would be, but I suspect our numbers would have been much fewer."

Description

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:45 pm

"Perhaps," she said. "Bayushi likely would have still sent me at least, but who knows?"

Another pause as Jon picked a plant. Umeno gave a thoughtful chuckle. "We'd probably have more if Hida or Akodo had won, eh? Assuming they supported Shinjo in this. Seen a few Crab at least."

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:49 pm

"More warriors... but I'm not sure if a better chance of success. Neither seems the type to be as focused on the spiritual threats we face in addition to the physical."

Description

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:36 am

"Shinjo-Kami would still be with to be a moderating voice, hai? I suppose it's all hypothetical. Doesn't change anything to wonder."

Umeno glanced at Jin's bag, deciding to change the subject. "What sort of plants are those anyway?"

Return to “The Jungle”