(LM, D13) Watch Out, Look Out

Bayushi Umeno

Re: (LM, D13) Watch Out, Look Out

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:16 pm

"My hammer can say quite a lot, but it tends to be a bit crude and loud. Plenty of spear users where I'm from, used them for fishing too."

Taking her bottle out, Umeno took a small drink to conserve it. "Mm. Should've just stayed in the jungle as a rear base or something. In this door the long haul of course, but damned if I don't miss the peace and comfort."
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Former Kawagaya | Stand-Oafish | Blessed
Carries: Armor, Dai Tsuchi, Tetsubo, Tanto, Hat and Cloak, Pack

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:59 pm

"Hai, though the jungle had its faults. Some of us were attacked by a tentacle-beast that emerged from a slime pit in a cave. It struck quite heavily, I must say."
* Crane Clan * ex-Chinsei * Very, Very Quiet * Reformed Wild Man of the Woods * In Love With Words *

Equipment: Yari, Nage-yari, Yumi, Ashiguru armor, some rope, a jade pendant, and a shovel.

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:44 pm

"Keep missing all the action," she grumbled with a frown. "Still, not like there aren't bandits and such back in civilized lands. Monsters beat some unseen force like we've got now."

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Kaze smiles. "That is very true. So you are...a bandit-hunter for the Scorpion clan?"
* Crane Clan * ex-Chinsei * Very, Very Quiet * Reformed Wild Man of the Woods * In Love With Words *

Equipment: Yari, Nage-yari, Yumi, Ashiguru armor, some rope, a jade pendant, and a shovel.

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:39 am

"Don't really have a title, but my specialization's smashing things I suppose, so fighting bandits seems like a good use for it," Umeno said with a shrug. "I do some scouting as well, but that ends up meaning 'scouting for bandits' most of the time. Lots looking to try to take from the new clans, and we have to keep the people safe. Did it for years for the Kuwagaya before."

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:01 am

"So you have not found your life changing very much from before you joined your clan?"

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:11 am

"Oh, I don't know about that. I follow orders now, travel more, have more responsibilities." Umeno gave a slight smile. "Before, it was more selfish. Still am a bit, but I promised Bayushi-Kami that I'd do what he wished and help look after those sworn to him. That's why I'm here, after all. Never would have come if I were still in my tribe."

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:14 am

"I think I understand. It is...or rather, the experiences of others as they make the transition are often difficult for me to predict, because my transition has been so radical. It is comforting, I think, to see that others are seeing the difference. Not everyone I have spoken to is willing to acknowledge it."

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:33 am

"Well, maybe there are some that changed very little, I can't say. Some really do seem like they were born ready for this, so perhaps they had to change very little. There's no shame in changing more or less, as long as it's for the better, right?" Umeno tried to smile encouragingly.

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:39 am

"Hai, that seems true." He nodded slowly. "You know that there are some here who are very afraid of that change. If only they could see it from our side of the divide."

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:43 am

"Well, all change can be bad or good. In fact, some change can be both at the same time." Umeno paused thoughtfully before continuing. "Take the situation with the clans for instance. The Kami have brought quite a large amount of change indeed. In your case, as well as in mine, we would both say that the change has been for the best, yes? Well, what about those that truly love their tribes and wish to stay with them? Perhaps they would be truly better off inside a clan, but who are we to call them wrong?"

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:30 am

"I worry for them." Kaze looked to one side. "In my experience, the unwanted are not treated well. But perhaps that will be different with Lady Shinjo's Compassion to guide us."

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:55 am

"Well, I know some will have issues, those that preyed on others for their livelihood," Umeno noted. "I don't think anyone's about to attack the more peaceful tribes, even if there'll likely be those that look down on them. Always been conflict though, always will be. Change doesn't change that much."

She paused and gave a wry smile. "'Sides, you could always just ask Lady Doji to take them in, mm?"

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:04 am

"There we get into the consent issue, again." He smiled sadly. "As much as Lady Doji appreciates many forms of art, there are some non-negotiable cultural elements. The bitter-enders will, I think, find something to balk at anywhere." Kaze shook his head. "Hopefully, most will see the value in the Empire as it develops, however."

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:18 am

She gave a small nod. "And those that don't will be swept away unfortunately. Like I said, how it's always been. Plenty of the Kuwagaya died at the hands of raiders, those that didn't adapt to protect themselves. Talking to the tribes might help, but there'll always be those left behind."

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:28 am

"How...sad, that they ensure that their worst fears come to pass."

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:17 am

Umeno sighed a bit before she gave a slight shrug. "Can't really be helped. There'll always be people that won't change their minds, that'll be stubborn. I suppose you could look at it as sad, but we all have our own sins and faults in the end, don't we? I don't think they'd want my pity and more than I need theirs."

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:23 am

Kaze nodded. "I am glad that I have met you, Bayushi-san. You are very practical. I like that."

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:30 am

She gave a bit of a sharp laugh at his words. "Practical? I suppose that's a new one for me. Most of my old village just called me cold or distant. A bit of practicality in it all in the end. You're not bad for a Crane either Doji-san. Certainly a lot less stuffy and proper than others I've met. Though I'd certainly say otherwise to your Lady if you wanted."

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:41 am

"I assure you that I have done nothing improper in all of our discussion." He nodded his head most firmly. "So you need not fear for my reputation. I can out-stuff the best of them...when I wish to do so. Lady Doji understands there is a time and place for most things, I think. Some things just have very narrow windows for their use."

Return to “The Supply Wagon”