(LM, D13) Watch Out, Look Out

Bayushi Umeno

(LM, D13) Watch Out, Look Out

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:46 am

The supplies needed guarding. There were those that did so at night, but Umeno did so during the morning. She had been at it some time now, but she was taking the opportunity to walk around and generally. Her jade against her chest felt a bit warm, but the whole area felt strange anyway, so one other detail didn't make her any more uncomfortable than she already was.

Umeno's armor softly rattled as she moved, her hammer against her shoulder.
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Former Kawagaya | Stand-Oafish | Blessed
Carries: Armor, Dai Tsuchi, Tetsubo, Tanto, Hat and Cloak, Pack

Doji Kaze

Re: (LM, D13) Watch Out, Look Out

Post by Doji Kaze » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:10 am

Coming from the other direction and looking a bit out of sorts was Doji Kaze. His eyes had the dark circles that told of a difficult night, but his Nezumi-made jade pendant shone brightly against his chest.

He paused on recognizing Umeko in his path and offered a bow in greeting. As he rose, he touched his hand to the pendant in a gesture that seemed natural to the proper motion of a bow.

"Excuse me, Bayushi-san, I did not mean to get in your way." He edged out of her path, putting his back to the Supply Cart as he did so.
* Crane Clan * ex-Chinsei * Very, Very Quiet * Reformed Wild Man of the Woods * In Love With Words *

Equipment: Yari, Nage-yari, Yumi, Ashiguru armor, some rope, a jade pendant, and a shovel.

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:59 pm

Umeno had stopped when Kaze had. She had bowed a bit as well in return, though it was clear it was an after thought of remembered instruction rather than any sort of ingrained instinct. A brow rose at the comment and gesture, and she did not move on. "...You weren't in my way... Doji-san?"

It wasn't a question, but her tone rose at the end like it was one. Still, she went on. "You look dead on your feet. You okay?"

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:20 am

Kaze sighed and sat on the Supply Wagon's hitch. "I have had trouble sleeping recently. Strong dreams. They have begun to take their toll, I am afraid."
* Crane Clan * ex-Chinsei * Very, Very Quiet * Reformed Wild Man of the Woods * In Love With Words *

Equipment: Yari, Nage-yari, Yumi, Ashiguru armor, some rope, a jade pendant, and a shovel.

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:25 am

Umeno grunted softly. "Lots of people've had bad dreams lately. Know I have, and thought I've heard about others having the same. Not pleasant, sure, but you can't let it get to you. Just dreams in the end, right?"

Easier to say than follow, but the Bayushi seemed earnest in her words at least.

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:35 am

Kaze started to disagree, but thought better of it has his brain caught up with his jaw. "They...well, you are right, I suppose it doesn't matter what their content is. It is...concerning, though, to know that bad dreams are becoming widespread." He shook his head. "The Shinomen is dark, but it has nothing on this place."

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:49 am

"Never said they were pleasant. My own were quite disturbing indeed, left me in tears even." She wasn't ashamed to admit so. "Still, all likely something to do with the lands we're moving into. As I see it, we all have two options. The first is to dread them and do all we can to stay awake, avoid the dreams. The second is to try to face the nightmares head on and show them that we won't let them bother us. Easier said than done, I know, but it sure beats the alternative."

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:34 am

Kaze tried to smile. "Alright, then. I suppose we shall have to overcome our dreams." He waved his hand as though batting away a fly. "It'll be a picnic. And I shall dream of...ah...a warm bed and clean clothes." He nodded. "Yes, those sound wonderful."

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:57 am

"That's the spirit," Umeno said with a light smirk. "Though I've never been able to control my dreams. Not like we can't try though, right?"

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:05 am

"We may as well. As you say, avoiding the issue is not helping anything." Kaze offered a bow. "Thank you, Bayushi-san. You have been a help when I needed it most."

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:38 am

"I suppose there's a first time for everything, like my being a help," Umeno said with a quiet laugh. "Bayushi Umeno by the way Doji-san. I have some water in my bottle if you need any. Patrol hasn't shown much of anything anyway."

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:57 am

"No, thank you, Bayushi-san. I have my own supply, but it was kind of you to offer." He nodded his head. "Doji Kaze is my name. I was Lady Doji's shadow, but now I am here." He shrugged. "It is as it is."

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:18 am

"is... is that a literal thing? Do Kami shadows come to life?" Umeno's face scrunched up in consternation.

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:57 am

Kaze shook his head emphatically.

"No! No, Bayushi-san. Not literal, but metaphorical. I followed her about and kept her safe while I learned to speak. I never saw her shadow come to life. Nor any of the other kami's shadows, come to think of it."

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:36 am

"Well... good. It'd be a bit weird if it was true." She paused. "Though, learned to speak? How old are you exactly Doji-san?"

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:05 am

"I am...unsure how old I am, but I do not think I am all that old, nor am I young any longer. I was...raised differently."

He frowned. "Pardon me, it is difficult to explain. I was...tribeless. No one to speak to, or to learn language from, so...no speaking."

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:13 am

So that one had been literal. "I see. Well, I don't really need explanations anyway, so don't worry about it. I'm sure with Doji-Kami as a teacher, you're a better speaker than I anyway."

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:22 am

"Well, I don't know, Bayushi-san. You speak well enough for this student, at least. And you have been perfectly courteous, so far as I can tell. No need to put yourself down."

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:31 am

That brought a dry laugh. "Oh, I am perfectly at peace with who I am and what my capabilities are, thank you. I'm not a trained speaker, and I most certainly wasn't taught by your Lady. I fight and scout quite well, and I'm a good climber and swimmer, so there's no shame in knowing my weakness."

Umeno paused to give Kaxe a look. "Though it looks like your main training's fightin' too, unless I'm mistaken. Suppose surviving on your own necessitates that though."

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:51 am

"I have had longer with the spear," Kaze said, nodding. "That is so. I find that I...appreciate the words more, though, even if I am less practiced with them." He turns up his hands and gives a little shrug. "A spear only knows how to say a few things, after all."

Return to “The Supply Wagon”