[Day 13 - LE] Judgement of the Heavens

Nanzi

[Day 13 - LE] Judgement of the Heavens

Post by Nanzi » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:24 pm

Nanzi was always glad to talk about the subject of the duel and the Divine Blade, so anyone showing an interest was gladly received. He waited by the fire as he chatted with Jongwun and Jigutsuji.

It has been a rather interesting day.
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace
Supporting Staff: Doji Jigutsuji, Nanzi Jongwun, Raven on shoulder

Kyosei of the Isawa

Re: [Day 13 - LE] Judgement of the Heavens

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:40 am

"Ah, Nanzi! It has been some time since we talked. I wondered if I might ask you a few questions?" Kyosei approached, and gave a nod of the head to the other. In one hand he had a large chunk of jade. In the other was currently a small hooked blade of bronze.
Kyosei of the Isawa Tribe
Shugenja • Earth • Experienced • Jade

Glory 2 • Reputation 4 • Status 1
Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.
When out in the area outside the camps, Axe, shovel, bo staff.

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:02 am

He touched his jade locket and then said, "Of course, old friend please sit and be at ease."
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:00 pm

Kyosei dips his hand into a pouch, and pulls out three different jade objects, flashing them, before settling them back. He takes a crosslegged seat, and looks at the other. "You wrote a book, and I was able to read it about a year ago. However, either it is the first of several, or I only got part of it. Which might be correct? Am I missing some of it, and need to talk to the merchant, or are there more expected?"

small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:00 pm

Nanzi replied warmly, "It is a work in progress, it may not even be Nanzi that finishes it. What did you think of what you have read?"

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:05 pm

"It seemed... limited. And, I do not understand what this 'honor' you spoke of was. But, that was not as important for my concerns. You spoke as that the heavens would hold the righteous up, and lower the unworthy. But, what if the righteous one had no skill with the sword? Or with weapons? Or, as one mercenary I know of, with any weapon but a sword? Are they automatically unworthy, then?"

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:07 pm

“It is a contest and trial between samurai not just any person, samurai will hold to the tenets laid out of Honor and Duty and so forth, this is something Nanzi has had several discussions with Akodo-ue about. If the samurai does not have skill with a sword they can seek a champion, that is only just this is not a tyranny of blades,” he responded warmly.

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:09 pm

"What of shamans? Or other spirit-callers, like myself? We are often accorded respect and position, but to use the sword... it is not something I've ever had the time for. And what of an occasion between one that is high, and one that is low, but worthy?"

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:14 pm

“Shaman that are samurai, can seek a champion as I noted before, they are precious and few. Nanzi wonders what you mean by low and unworthy?” he responded.

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:19 pm

"I have known many sword users who are worthy men, well respected, and I have known others I would not trust without keeping a sharp eye on them even while they sleep. And I have known men who have never held a sword, but worked hard every day, to feed large families, and clothe them. And, that one I mentioned earlier, he can use any weapon, but refuses to touch a sword. But, he has never lost any fight; no one I have spoken to has ever seen or heard of him losing a fight. But, he refuses to touch a sword. How would he fit in?"

"And, if my dispute were with, to choose one I know that also calls on the spirits, Jin, why would we both use champions? How does that decide between us, rather than between the two champions? Perhaps one chooses an impure champion, but doesn't know of it?"

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:26 pm

Nanzi replied, “This person that refuses to use a blade… Nanzi suggests he lives a good just life and he shall never have need of the Divine Blade. If it is so and he wishes to settle things with Honor he will learn, in time it will be the norm for now we live in an age of barbarism but we are rising out of this low state, daily.”

“This is not mere battle but samurai retaining and protecting Honor, this is not a tactic to prove you are the strongest but that your words are just and true. The Heavens favored Emperor Shiba because he was the most worthy to lead, not due to simply brute strength. This is not to be done lightly.”

“If a samurai chooses an unworthy Champion then perhaps they are already without Honor and Heaven knows this. As for two shaman engaging in duel, it is not something Nanzi had considered. The Duel is not a bloody affair it is of precision and Honor if it can be done with minimal harm to either as most should be to first blood then it could be explored,” he responded.

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:35 pm

"Perhaps, for spirit speakers, second blood would be a better phrase, as the first blood would be the offering we give to the spirits?"

"And, then, I have a question for you. The man I mentioned who worked every day to support and clothe his family, a large one, is not a random example. Such a man, with 14 grown children, has gone down into the mine I now run every day save holy days, for the past more than 30 years. He has never had a problem, raised many successful children who all contribute to our tribe. He never once tried to keep any of the silver he mines. One day, he came back to find his youngest daughter, the only one still at home, had been assaulted, by he said, a sword user, one that had a name of one of your Empire's families. That man stated that he had not assaulted the girl, and it was a stain on his honor to say he had. He is why I found your book and read it. He challenged the miner, to a duel. A man who was many years his elder, but totally untrained with a sword. What should I have done?"

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:57 pm

"Nothing, directly. Perhaps report his misdeeds to his lord, a samurai does not exist without someone to serve."

"One, this man without Honor if he had done as you say was a villain but right now we lack a thorough system of law and order. Duels do not exist to preempt that, they exist as a tool within that system. Two, the matter is between this miner and the samurai, unless you have a reason to be involved it is no longer in your hands. As Nanzi said this is a work in progress, and this miner may have other sins that may have come to roost. We cannot know, and Nanzi will not pretend to know the facts of such a thing second hand," he said thoughtfully.

"Explain to Nanzi how you would propose this duel between spirit talkers to work?" he asked.

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:25 pm

"Between two spirit callers? I do not know. Each could call on the spirits once, as duelists strike once - but some spells are devastating, both to the opponent, and to those around them. I, myself, can call down lightning from the sky, or call up boulders from the ground to attack one, and I am middling among those in the Isawa. So, devastation seems... wasteful. Something to show control, perhaps?"

"Oh, the matter of the miner and the Empire-man? I was involved as the one in charge of the mine that the man worked at, and thus the one in charge of him. The third I mentioned, the mercenary who would not bear a sword? He stepped in, and accepted the duel. Used my own knife," Kyosei shows a small, perhaps 6 inch, black, shining blade. "and cut the man's nose before he could finish drawing his sword. When the sword wielder refused to accept this, attacking his opponent afterwards, the mercenary proceeded to kill him. So, I do think there is some justice to your words and work, I just think it is limited. There is more there to find. Oh, and how I knew the miner was a just and reputable man? It was my father, and my sister that was assaulted."

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:56 pm

He listened and nodded and said, “Then it was not a duel if the man engaged with a knife and the other a sword, a duel is a matter of Honor between samurai, neither sounds like they were in this case. This individual may have carried a name but he did not carry himself with Honor and this knifeman, well the world is filled with knifemen, good or not.”

“The duel is a sacred thing, it is ritual and justice. It is not for excessive bloodshed or wasteful devastation, it should be precise and controlled and only called up when the matter strikes at a samurai’s Honor, or the Favor of Heaven as with the Emperor.”

“Understand, again, the Divine Blade is a tool of justice but not the end all and be all of justice within the Empire.”

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:59 pm

"Oh? Then what sort of justice will there be? How will it be enforced?"

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:01 pm

Kyosei of the Isawa wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:59 pm
"Oh? Then what sort of justice will there be? How will it be enforced?"
“That is being determined, Nanzi has made proposals, agents of the Emperor and those of the Clan. Each clan will enforce the edicts of the Emperor and police their own, and perhaps Imperial oversight will manage conflicts between the clans. The duel would be used to challenge testimony or false words or actions; or a samurai may seek to challenge their accuser if they feel their Honor is slighted but they could not say challenge the judgment once given by a proper authority nor could they challenge the outcome of a duel that did not favor them,” he responded.

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:07 am

"And who are the samurai? Only those with swords? What of those that are worthy, but have no time to train?"

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:11 am

Kyosei of the Isawa wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:07 am
"And who are the samurai? Only those with swords? What of those that are worthy, but have no time to train?"
"Samurai are the servants of the Lords, those that serve the Kami with distinction and Honor," he said honestly.

"It does not require a sword, it requires one to be Dutiful. A samurai is a servant."

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:32 am

"Which brings me around to, what of a dispute between those who both are not trained with a sword? Seems unfair that both put their own fates in the hands of others. I suggested some form of contest of control for spirit callers, but what also of other servants?"

Return to “The Camp”