The earth moves (EE, D11)

Ongaku no Ryoko

The earth moves (EE, D11)

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:26 am

Ryoko was back at her practice, channeling as much of the elements as she could at any one time, this time fire and earth. Small gusts of flame and strings of pebbles orbited her hands as she sat, cross-legged, outside her tent, beginning to feel the strain.

The urgency she felt was growing, as the terrain grew less and less hospitable, and the danger began to make itself clear.

Especially since, so far, she had nothing resembling a useful ability. It wasn't enough - and she wasn't interested in being just a little more dead weight.

So she practiced, strained the limits of her newfound power, one horn copper glazed, the other lit with a ghostly flame. It was strange, in the past her horns had felt nothing, like a fingernail, but now... now they felt strangely sensitive... not to physical touch, but to the changing motions of the elements.

-----

(pushing into bonus spell slots)

https://orokos.com/roll/812747 (fail)
https://orokos.com/roll/812748 (pass)
https://orokos.com/roll/812749 (pass)
Takemori :: Master of Ceremonies :: Voice :: Horned Girl :: Music Lover :: Jealous
Resources: Twin Tonfa, Dai-Tsuchi, Morin Khuuru, Jade-Flower Glove, Tago the drummer.
Profile :: Themes

Noriaki no Yamadono

Re: The earth moves (EE, D11)

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:15 pm

As a man blesssed by Earth, and with the might of it making him a bastion of strength, it didn't seem odd, at least to him, that he found himself drawn to where Ryoko was channeling.

He didn't interrupt, no, not at all. It was rare, that he had moments like this where Matsu found herself occupied with tasks in camp that he was, more or less, alone.

"Ryoko. I'm not interrupting, am I?"
Spider Clan | Bushi | Large AF | Blessed by Bishamon and Earth
Carries: Bronze Tetsubo | Fur lined hat and cloak | Bronze Sword | Travelling Pack | Shakuhachi
Accompanied by: Matsu

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:26 pm

At the sound of his voice, the earth and flame which orbited her coalesced into a single glowing orb of stones, hanging over the tips of her horns as if comfortable there.

"No, you are not interrupting."

She smiled, glancing toward the man. "I was simply training, in my own way. I did not wish to have Matsu's work ethic put me entirely to shame." Her tone was light, somewhat jovial, and not too serious.

"It can get a little tedious, however, trying to push myself to exhaustion."
Takemori :: Master of Ceremonies :: Voice :: Horned Girl :: Music Lover :: Jealous
Resources: Twin Tonfa, Dai-Tsuchi, Morin Khuuru, Jade-Flower Glove, Tago the drummer.

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:30 pm

He approached, removing his hat as he did so. Shadows were cast upon his features from the glowing orbs. The large man removed the hat from atop his head, running thick fingers over the flesh of his crown.

"Exhaustion might not be what is best at this time, Ryoko." Yamadono's voice was low, quiet and gravelly, yet warm. "Especially as we draw closer to our destination. I'd hate to see something befall you."
Carries: Bronze Tetsubo | Fur lined hat and cloak | Bronze Sword | Travelling Pack | Shakuhachi

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:04 pm

His gentle tone surprised her, and set some strange pressure in her chest, which she did her best to ignore.

"I appreciate that, but we're all watching out for each other... and I feel I have to do everything I can to find something useful I can do..."

She looked very serious, with a tinge of youthful stubbornness. "I'm not much use, and this power isn't either... but maybe with enough practice, I'll find a way to do more!"

It was hard to know entirely what was pushing her, but there was a certain look in her eye, and she added, softly, "People have been kind to me - even when I've been blind to every danger... been just another weight on the wagon."

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:15 pm

"Power learned and developed is power still. It starts from somewhere." He looked in awe at the display. He himself was not talented with such. He was just pure physical might, even blessed as he was.

He looked down at her, towering frame just standing ahead of her as they spoke. "Kindness begets kindness. In this new world, where what Akodo calls Bushido... there is a tenet we all must practice. Compassion. It id held as equal as Courage, Courtesy, Duty, Honor, Honesty, and Sincerity." Yamadono's head tilted, a small smile.

"And you are too hard on yourself. You help with morale. Speaking for myself, I don't think I could have... moved on... from my dark thoughts had you and I not spoken repeatedly."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:48 pm

Ryoko smiled at that last bit, and she nodded. "I'm glad. From our limited conversations, I believe you are a good man. I hope we have many more conversations - looking forward as well as back."

A soft chuckle, and she felt her face turn a little pink. Praise always had been a weak point of hers... "I know this power isn't much yet... that's why I am trying to make something of it. If there are dangers to come, I hope I can do more than raise morale... I'd like to keep everyone safe. Including you."

Glancing away, she added, quietly, "I will be mindful, however, not to over-exert myself. Thank you."

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:57 am

"I believe you will." The hat was gently held in his hands as he smiled, thumbs idly running over the fur. "And yes... I would like many more conversations in the future, too." There was a slight hue in his face as he said it, his yellow eyes focused on the woman's own.

"That's something that... has been on my mind during this expedition."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:11 am

Ryoko started to answer, and then went quiet. In some sense she could tell there was more to his comment than the surface statement, and her gaze slipped away, studying the dirt by her feet.

"I... I'm glad I'm someone you'd be happy to speak to. I didn't expect..."

She contemplated the words, quietly, "I'm glad my presence could be a blessing. I didn't expect to be so welcome here, and this entire journey has been full of unexpected things."

Taking a slow breath, she added, "That a simple Ongaku like me could be worth speaking to, even when my skills are not needed, is... new to me."

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:13 am

"There's nothing simple about you." Yamadono smiled as he spoke, his voice still soft. As if testing the air, he gently reached, a finger lifting her chin so their gaze met again.

"I'm an old man. I consider myself lucky that you deign to even consider deep conversation with me. Maybe it's..m a lot to tell you now..."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:33 am

As he lifted her face, her eyes tried to glance away, but eventually she met his gaze. Flushing a deep crimson, she said, softly, "You have seen much, been through many things... made choices for a better future. Why wouldn't I want to speak with you?"

In some ways what she said ahd the ring of truth... but maybe not the whole truth.

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:54 am

"You're young. You have a lot of life ahead of you. Anyone would be very lucky to have you walk beside them." The smile reached his eyes. The air was still around the pair, the quiet shared moment.

"But like you said, I need to be in the present. And... I find my thoughts of the present drifting to you."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:11 pm

Her face turned a remarkable beet purple, and he felt her try to trun her face, and she said, softly, "I'm... I don't... but I'm Ongaku."

As if that explained everything. As if that one name could explain every fear, every insecurity, hesitation, and reservation she felt. As if that explained everything which restrained her, which cautioned her.

Hesitantly, in a quiet voice, she added, "I am glad I was able to help you continue... I would've sung songs of grief... had you chosen to fade away."

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:43 pm

"And I am Noriaki. I was hated because of my tribe. We were brutes, bandits, and worse." He wasn't going to control her movement as she turned her face, he simply continued to admire her as they spoke. "You being Ongaku makes no difference to me. You are Ryoko. And your character shows in choosing to join this quest. The others see it too, I'm sure."

He leaned his head down, listening closely as she whispered.

"I am so sorry that I even put the thought of grief in your mind."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:10 pm

Her face could not much flush any darker, but she did feel a tightness in her chest at his proximity, and added, softly, "But, I am Ongaku. We belong to the tribe..."

With a soft sigh, she added, softly, "We are not to leave it... this journey is itself unusual."

Looking up and meeting his gaze, close though she was, she started to say something else, but her voice gave out on her, and she fell silent.

She hadn't felt like this before, and didn't know why. Was it this strange journey? What made this all happen... how did she get so turned around, her world flipped upside down, jumbled and confused.

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:18 pm

"Oh." He responded, taking in her words. The large man didn't step away, not wanting to break the proximity.

"What would your people say? What are their thoughts on this new Empire? Or the people in it?" He wasn't sure what to ask or say. It had been a very long time since he had attempred any romantic overtures.

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:25 pm

She rested back on her heels, letting herself gain just the slightest bit of room, and said, softly, "Ongaku are expected to avoid any partnerships within the tribe, and any without it - unless that outsider is willing to join the tribe as well."

Shaking her head, she added, softly, "I have been told to speak with Shiba, that perhaps he will have a place for the tribe in his empire. When that happens... who knows what we will do. I'm sure many things will change..."

Not having ever experienced romance, Ryoko was perhaps even more confused than Yamadono, but had no way to explain her confusion, and so just met his gaze, expression flushed, but thoughtful.

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:18 am

"Oh..." his voice dropped. His mind raced. Yamadono could feel his heart pounding in his chest. "And... I have my duty to the Spider. I... wouldn't be able to leave." Instinct took over. His free hand moved for one of hers, and despite being a mountain of strength, that touch was tender, and soft.

"Maybe... after all this... when we rescue Fu Leng... we could. There could be a place for your people there..."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:29 am

The touch surprised her, but she did not pull away, and she answered, very softly, "Perhaps... I don't know what the future holds. If we are... messengers... as the Jiyo suggested... maybe it would not need to be one thing or another..."

Her words didn't make much sense, she realized, and she just sighed, squeezed his hand, and added, gently, "I'd like to get to know you better... to play songs together, to learn about those journeys you've taken... the work you've done for your clan with these hands..."

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:00 am

"Then we should take the time to speak more." His thumb ran over the back of her hand, his lips curled to a small smile. "I would like to get to know you more, as well. Given the state of everything else, we could find peace on this journey, together?"

Return to “The Camp”