[LA 11] - Ride Like the Wind

Bakuriel

Re: [LA 11] - Ride Like the Wind

Post by Bakuriel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:56 am

Unfortunately the path wallowed in many places, costing precious time as whatever battle that had occurred began winding its way in random directions, growing fiercer with every step Phi traced. No matter where she looked, though, there were no signs of Shinsei's enemy beyond the damage it seemingly inflicted around him.

[LA passes into EE]
I am the GM that posts while you're at work, I am the plot line that freezes before day change, I am... The Underbirb!

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:06 am

"Whatever this creature is," she said to Shinjo as they searched and followed the sporatic tracks, keeping up with him with difficulty. "This thing is leaving no sign of its passing. It is either a ghost, a gaki without substance, or it is something else that has no physical form. The only thing I see that has left a single track is Shinsei himself. That much is clear, and I am getting increasingly concerned about that." But hurrying was not an option for either of them. They were now picking their way far more carefully, moving as swiftly as they were able to track him in the first place.

She was increasingly glad Matsu had not come. An unseen enemy was not something Yamadono could have defended against.
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:17 am

Shinjo remained in her ki-rin form as she studied the tracks. Yes... I agree. There are a variety of immaterial spirits in the world... At least we can say that most of them are not of Jigoku...
Kami | Paragon of Honesty | Paragon of Compassion | Daredevil | Quick | Absolute Direction | Wary

Honor: 10.0, Status: 9.0, Glory: 10.0

Run by GM Canary

Bakuriel

Post by Bakuriel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:40 am

The signs of fighting grow thicker and more pronounced, until a vague shadow appears on the horizon. Shinsei's trail continues onwards in that direction, the outlying damage becoming so significant that tracking is no longer an issue.

Just as the shadow begins to coalesce into the shape of a ruined city, the first signs of blood on the track begin to show...
I am the GM that posts while you're at work, I am the plot line that freezes before day change, I am... The Underbirb!

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:50 am

"That woman could follow again," she muttered, looking in the direction of a looming shadow that could very well be the nezumi capitol, the Festering Pit itself. The sight of that ruin brought a sense of mortal dread, to realize that you were within sight of the very entrance to hell. How many of them back there truly comprehended the fear that this place must have. Her fingers gripped and she breathed carefully before pointing again, directing Shinjo.

"He's bleeding... let's hope not too much, but... at least this thing he's fighting does natural wounds, whatever it is." She didn't know for sure it was his blood, but at this point, she knew it was far more likely to be his than the alternative. "Hurry, Shinjo."
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:15 am

She dipped to allow Phi to mount again and ran now that the trail was obvious. Please, be alive, my friend...
Kami | Paragon of Honesty | Paragon of Compassion | Daredevil | Quick | Absolute Direction | Wary

Run by GM Canary

Bakuriel

Post by Bakuriel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:23 am

The closer they came to the ruins, the more extensive the damage, and the more plentiful the stains of blood, none of which seemed particularly fresh.

The true horrors of the battle didn't become apparent until the pair crossed into the ruins themselves. Stones which had endured untold ages were freshly crushed or, eerily, sliced as if by a keen blade. And the blood which was spilled upon the ground and walls had grown to worrisome levels, leading into the center of the ruins.

Everything was silent and utterly still.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:29 am

"Let's be as quiet as we possibly can," she whispered. It was currently obvious where the problem was, and as she swallowed hard, she drew her bow out and strung it, knowing that there might be a very real need to fire at any time. She was tempted and prepared to try scoring an arrow with jade if it really came down to it. How else could she possibly hurt something in this place, something that was doing this kind of harm to a person as powerful as him.

Otherwise, she was damned near holding her breath, eyes ever on the alert.

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:47 am

Shinjo set her down and took on her human-like form, making an effort to be as silent as she could as she crept forward with Phi, drawing her blade.

Run by GM Canary

Bakuriel

Post by Bakuriel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:54 am

The trail of blood and destruction finally ends near a neatly severed section of ancient wall lying on the ground. Rubble and refuse lie everywhere, as if they were scattered by a maelstrom.

Scraps of cloth rest in tatters about a forearm which peeks out from beneath the fallen stone, a chipped jade bracelet wrapped neatly around its wrist...

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:58 am

Her eyes widened in shock, and only years of work as a hunter kept her from shrieking. She was not some terrified girl. She contained the gasp and wordlessly pointed, looking at Shinjo and moving to cross and skirt the circle in order to get to where Shinsei was lying on the ground, battered under the stone. If the thing that had done this was here, they'd have to face it without him, and if that was the case. But if it was not, if it thought itself successful, she was going to pray that it was wrong, pray deeply and hard to Jurojin and then she was going to pray to Bishamon for enough strength to get him out of the rubble while there was still time.

They had to get to him quickly. some of this blood was more fresh. There might still be time.

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:02 pm

Shinjo gritted her teeth and arranged herself so she could lift the largest stone straight off the man without rolling it and potentially injuring him further. "You absolute idiot...!"

Run by GM Canary

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:07 pm

Despite Shinjo's cry, nothing nearby stirred, but neither did Shinsei. He lay there, not crushed by the rubble, but badly bruised and lacerated, his outer cloak entirely gone, revealing only the tighter fitting garb underneath. Everywhere there was exposed flesh there were cuts, both shallow and deep, all but the deepest showing signs of closure. Whatever he'd fought had left him here some time ago.
Mysterious Stranger | Ascetic | Enlightened

Run by GM Bakuriel

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:11 pm

The thing was gone. It was gone, and Phi lost any semblance of restraint. "MORON!" she practically shrieked, getting down on her hands and knees and hauling at the stone. When she could, she felt or a pulse, for signs of life. She leaned down as soon as she was able to feel if there was breath. She was not trained in medicine, but she knew this much. She was also looking for deeper cuts anywhere on him, things that needed to be bound more than anything else. "Don't you dare die on me. You ... You are not allowed to die on me, do you hear me?!? I haven't had time... they need you, I need you!"

She was careful, but she was also hurried, frantic as she worked to get him out of the rubble, helping the infinitely more powerful woman beside her to work faster.

Bakuriel

Post by Bakuriel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:24 pm

Shinsei's pulse is faint, but present, but his chest is not moving enough to properly maintain his body. Something will have to move the breath through his lungs in order to restore him, but it is possible.

Many of his deepest injuries are dangerously close to vital arteries. [Medicine TN 30 to stabilize him]

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:30 pm

Shinjo studied the cuts and bruises, pulling out a medicine kit. "We won't be able to move him for a while. Maybe not for the rest of the day, depending on how well he takes this... I can do field dressing, but I wish Shiba were here..." She murmured as she pulled out the appropriate supplies, carefully prodding.

"Close his nose, tip his chin up, and breath into his mouth. I will work on stabilizing him."

Medicine v 30, 1 raise for an additional rolled die of healing: 8d10o10k7 43

Medicine heals: 2d10o10k1 17

Run by GM Canary

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:37 pm

Breathe into his...

It took her a moment to understand what it was Shinjo was describing. After she did, she did exactly what was asked, pressing her lips firmly to his in order to make sure the seal was closed thoroughly and none of her breath was lost. She pushed air into his lungs as the goddess worked. Not for the first time, the lack of medical skill she had was a worry, but it wasn't something she could truly address, wasn't something that she even knew how to address. That was the work of scholars, of shugenja.

But he was going to breathe, damnit. If she had to push every last breath she had into his lungs. "Stay with us," she whispered between the timed breaths, utterly ignoring the thing she was doing in the process.

(OOC: incidentally, you're both evil for having her engage in proto-CPR here. I love that.)

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:44 pm

Shinsei's body seemed to resist the first few breaths, but eventually his airways seemed to fill. Once, twice, three times...

It was the third full breath that caused the man to stir, and a convulsion ripped through his body from head to toe...

[TN 20 Athletics to break away and avoid the worst part of CPR with an obstructed airway]
Mysterious Stranger | Ascetic | Enlightened

Run by GM Bakuriel

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:49 pm

She Yanked back in time to avoid literally ingesting whatever tainted muck of this awful place he was about to cough and wretch up, by only the barest of seconds. This was not the sort of situation where it was like in the movies and pillow books of some idiot that favored the Lady Doji, where they would come to and smile weakly at the love of their life. He had to expel what was blocking his lungs and she had just barely enough presence of mind to pull back before it happened.

(Yeah, totally voiding that to avoid ingesting something that's probably tainted right now, hah.)

Shinjo

Post by Shinjo » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:56 pm

Shinjo simply moved and rolled him gently but quickly to the side so he could vomit there (away from Phi) rather than into his own mouth, potentially choking again.

Run by GM Canary

Return to “Out of Character Chat”