GM Questions

Wu

Re: GM Questions

Post by Wu » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:43 am

I don't suppose retiring characters may get an extra goal point or two? @.@
Dragon Clan - Daimyo of the Wu - Black sheep of the Isawa tribe - Bushi - Spearman - Sage - Enlightened - Experienced
Equipment : In town: Ryu-yari, sturdy clothing. Outside : bronze and leather armor, Ryu-yari, Nage-Yari, Yumi

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:11 am

Wu wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:43 am
I don't suppose retiring characters may get an extra goal point or two? @.@
Nope. Especially since characters who are currently daimyo aren't likely to be playable next game. Or at least I'm leaning against it.
GM + Bird + Glorious Plumage + Experienced

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:15 am

Singularly important questions for all of you:

You know you're loved, right?
You know the game's appreciated, right?
Are y'all okay?
Seppun Dawei
Stag Clan * Bushi * Quiet * O-Iemoto * Experienced
Status 2.0, Glory 2.0, Reputation 4.5
In village: wears sturdy clothes; carries bronze sword, knife, often a piece of wood he's carving, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
Out of village: wears ashigaru armor; carries bronze sword, yumi, quiver of arrows, traveling pack, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
"Speaking" * Thinking
Description from Dawn 1 * Current Description
Player based in Kerrville, Texas

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:34 am

Satone and Shoji Haka are trying to essentially make a weapon that would work against spirits/demons better by wrapping the weapon with a sacred rope (Think the shrine ropes). Mechanically, this would make the weapon ignore the spirit trait/count as jade, crystal, etc.

How much XP would I need to spend for this?
Seidou Tribe|Bushi|Large|Strength of the Earth|Blessed by the Earth|Kharmic Tie|Doubt|True Love|Bad Eyesight
Carries: Light Armor, Dai Tsuchi wrapped in blessed rope, Blacksmithing Gear, Jade pendant, 7 uses of jade dust oil
Bodyguard for Seidou Haruyo

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:18 pm

Seidou Satone wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:34 am
Satone and Shoji Haka are trying to essentially make a weapon that would work against spirits/demons better by wrapping the weapon with a sacred rope (Think the shrine ropes). Mechanically, this would make the weapon ignore the spirit trait/count as jade, crystal, etc.

How much XP would I need to spend for this?
That's more of an end game goal thing than an XP thing. Basically a 2 point goal to make a new sort of a weapon. Alternately, it could be a spell that temporarily imbues whatever one of those ropes is wrapped around with the traits of jade for an hour or whatever.

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:22 pm

Lore wise, the shrine ropes are this:

Shimenawa was a Rokugani rope of straw which hosted a kami and used for ritual purification. [1] They were meant to encircle sacred spaces. Decorated with jagged strips of paper and straw tassels, shimenawa were commonly found around sacred trees and stones and throughout a shrine. Such ropes came in two varieties: blessing ropes, which ward against evil spirits and created "homes" for kami to dwell within, and binding ropes, which contained spirits and kept them from leaving. Priests sometimes encircled houses or even entire villages with shimenawa in order to bless them and keep them safe from supernatural harm.

So I guess the idea is that it would essentially be a rope that has a kami living in it that is then wrapped around the weapon. The shrine priests often have to repair/replace the rope, but once the kami starts living in it, they don't really leave from my understanding?
Seidou Tribe|Bushi|Large|Strength of the Earth|Blessed by the Earth|Kharmic Tie|Doubt|True Love|Bad Eyesight
Carries: Light Armor, Dai Tsuchi wrapped in blessed rope, Blacksmithing Gear, Jade pendant, 7 uses of jade dust oil

Jin

Post by Jin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:27 pm

What would be the goal point cost for the Dawn equivalent of a vassal family?
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:39 pm

Seidou Satone wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:22 pm
Lore wise, the shrine ropes are this:

Shimenawa was a Rokugani rope of straw which hosted a kami and used for ritual purification. [1] They were meant to encircle sacred spaces. Decorated with jagged strips of paper and straw tassels, shimenawa were commonly found around sacred trees and stones and throughout a shrine. Such ropes came in two varieties: blessing ropes, which ward against evil spirits and created "homes" for kami to dwell within, and binding ropes, which contained spirits and kept them from leaving. Priests sometimes encircled houses or even entire villages with shimenawa in order to bless them and keep them safe from supernatural harm.

So I guess the idea is that it would essentially be a rope that has a kami living in it that is then wrapped around the weapon. The shrine priests often have to repair/replace the rope, but once the kami starts living in it, they don't really leave from my understanding?
L5R doesn't align perfectly with real world Japanese religion.

I've given you your options. If you think it should be permanent, then it's a new weapon option.

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:40 pm

Jin wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:27 pm
What would be the goal point cost for the Dawn equivalent of a vassal family?
It would just be a Vassal family. 4 Points.

Seidou Satone

Post by Seidou Satone » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:42 pm

Canary wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:39 pm

L5R doesn't align perfectly with real world Japanese religion.

I've given you your options. If you think it should be permanent, then it's a new weapon option.
I know, this is already an L5R specific thing :) Not trying to argue, so if that is how I am coming off I am sorry. Just looking for all the details before I figure out how to go forward! I was detailing out the rope to have you expand further on what a spell might be? like, the rope is prepared beforehand (probably a ritual) that would make the rope permanent, but then it takes a shugenja casting a spell to bring a kami into it for a time?

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:14 pm

Seppun Dawei wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:15 am
Singularly important questions for all of you:

You know you're loved, right?
You know the game's appreciated, right?
Are y'all okay?
Kinda.
Yes, I'm very glad and grateful to everyone who stuck it out through the bumps.
No.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:20 pm

Canary wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:14 pm
No.
Anything we can do?
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:13 pm

+1 to previous question.

Also, will we have time to wish good luck (and go all mushy) to the rescue team before they depart on D16, or does this need to be done on D15?

EDIT: Can anyone repair the weapons damaged by the oni's acid? Or do you need at least one rank in Craft: Weaponsmithing (or equivalent skill)?
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:12 pm

Could we use rope and paper to make that sanctified rope mentioned above, to make a temporary "sacred ground" for the wedding ceremony?

EDIT: Also XP spending
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Canary

Post by Canary » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:31 pm

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:13 pm
+1 to previous question.

Also, will we have time to wish good luck (and go all mushy) to the rescue team before they depart on D16, or does this need to be done on D15?

EDIT: Can anyone repair the weapons damaged by the oni's acid? Or do you need at least one rank in Craft: Weaponsmithing (or equivalent skill)?
Ritual doesn't happen 'til early evening, so you have all day before then. :)

One rank in the relevant Craft, yes.
Togashi Saruko wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:12 pm
Could we use rope and paper to make that sanctified rope mentioned above, to make a temporary "sacred ground" for the wedding ceremony?

EDIT: Also XP spending
Sure, someone just needs to bless it.

Reo

Post by Reo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:45 pm

Archer | Kakita Tribe | Spider Clan | Bad Limp | Not a People Person | Healer
Yumi with lots of arrows, Light Armor, Medicine Kit, Mortar and Pestle, finger of Jade, 3 uses of jade dust

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Characters with Great Destiny may sacrifice it for a 2 point discount on 4+ point goals.
Can I use this on a goal I'm not spending points on - so to help someone else get a 2 point discount?
Spider Clan * Temporary Clan Champion * Reiko family Daimyo * Former Isawa Tribe * Shugenja * Prophet * Bride of Fu Leng * Fire * Bad (blood?) Eyesight * Well Educated * Experienced * Kami Speak * profile
Equipment: Diviner sticks, Yari and Ashigaru armour(when allowed), Walking Stick (bo), Jade, writing tools

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:14 pm

Still on goals, a bit of convoluted example to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Let's imagine a group of people want to create the Ikoma Archives.
The Archives themselves would be like 3 points right?
But if they want to have for this to also be represented as a path (Ikoma Historian), do they need to spend an additional 3 points for that?
And if a unaligned character who contributed to the creation of this wants to become a Ikoma Historian, do they also need to spend an extra 1 point to join the family?
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:16 pm

Reiko wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:04 pm
Characters with Great Destiny may sacrifice it for a 2 point discount on 4+ point goals.
Can I use this on a goal I'm not spending points on - so to help someone else get a 2 point discount?
Birb has final word on this, but I just wanted to add the Discord exchange for clarity's sake.
Togashi SarukoToday at 3:29 AM
I would guess that the Great Destiny discount applies to only one person (the one leading on the goal)?

TyrusToday at 3:31 AM
@Togashi Saruko yes
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Canary

Post by Canary » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:01 am

Reiko wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:04 pm
No. Great Destiny is non-transferable in any of its mechanical effects, including this one. You must spend at least one (effectively three) points on a 4+ point goal to apply it, effectively becoming the leader of the effort.

Return to “Out of Character Chat”