Notes on new schools

Jiyo Ayumu

Notes on new schools

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:33 am

No idea where to post that, so here as good as anywhere I guess.

I've finally read a bit more thoroughly the list of available families/schools, and noticed a few things/have a few questions:

Jiyo Selfless Guard
When in a skirmish with a friendly Imperial or Shugenja personage, you gain +1k0 on all attacks.
I would add "You may not add more than +1k0 to your attack rolls that way even if you're fighting along several shugenja, imperial personalities or imperial shugenja.", just for clarity, following the example of the wording of Akodo Bushi 1.
Additionally, you may add +1k1 to the Armor TN of a person you are defending with the Guard Action (in addition to the normal bonus to TN). You make this determination at the start of your Turn during each Round of the skirmish.
Since the bonus from guarding is a flat one, and other techniques that improve guarding (that I can remember) add a flat bonus to it, a +1k1 feels a bit weird. Why not a flat +7 instead? One less dice roll is always good.

Not sure what the last sentence refers to. Is it about the case where you're doing several guard actions (up to one free and two simple with the rank 1 technique), meaning the bonus would only apply to one? But even so, why the start of your turn and not when you declare the Guard Maneuver?

Anjing Bushi School
Rank 2: Strike a Mountain, Fight an Avalanche
You gain Reduction equal to your Fire Ring the first time you enter Full Attack Stance during a skirmish. While in the Full Attack Stance, your Reduction is increased by 1. Your Reduction returns to normal at the end of the skirmish where it increased.
Technique could probably be simplified into "You gain Reduction equal to your Fire Ring, or your Fire Ring+1 while in the Full Attack Stance.". Would not change much from a balance perspective.

Way of the Dragon Spear
In battle or in a duel you can select an enemy. Each time he or she spends a void point you may spend a Void Point and roll a mediation check against their Insight Rankx5. On a success the expenditure is cancelled. With one raise the point is still considered spent and with two it is both spent and you can gain one void up to your maximum.
I get the general idea, but there are so imprecision about rolls and timing. From my understanding, this could be rephrased as:

"At the start of a skirmish, you may select one opponent. Each time they try to use a Void Point, you may spend a Void Point of your own and roll Meditation/Void against a TN equal to their Insight Rank x5. On a success, their Void Point is not spent (and has no effect) but still counts within the limit of how many times they can spend Void Points per round.

You may raise on that roll as if it was a spellcasting roll to get the following benefits: Special (make the targeted opponent lose one Void Point), Special (regain the Void Point paid to activate this Technique). You may only gain each additional effect once per roll.

This technique can also be used against your opponent in a duel."

Inari Archer
Rank 2: You Are The Arrow- The arrow knows the way even if you do not. When using a bow, your range is increased by 150' (this is applied before applying the 50% range bonus fom Kyujutsu Rank 5). Once per skirmish, you may spend a Void Point as a Complex Action to shoot an arow that knows exactly where it must go. This attack ignores all effects of armor, as well as penalties from Wound Ranks or visibility. You may make Raises, but you cannot perform the Extra Attack Maneuver for this attack.

Rank 3: One Shot, One Kill- The archer's aim must be true, and you need only a single arrow to strike with purity of purpose. You gain +2k0 to all Kyujutsu Rolls, and in addition, you may make a ranged attack as a Complex Action to gain a bonus of +4k1 to the total of both the Attack and Damage rolls.
Can both techniques be combined (spend a Void Point to make a Complex Action attack with no penalty and +4k1)?

Shinjo Highlander
For any session you choose to impose a TN increase on your Social Skill rolls equal to your Insight Rank you can decrease the TN of your Bugei Skill rolls by a number equal to your School Rank; this is treated as a Minor Breach of Etiquette.
Timing is a bit unclear. Maybe:

"Once per session, you may, as a Free Action, suffer a honor loss as if you had committed a Minor Breach of Etiquette. If you do so, for the remainder of your session, the TN of all your Social Skill rolls is increased by an amount equal to your Insight Rank, and the TN of all your Bugei Skill rolls is reduced by a number equal to your School Rank."

Jin Traveler
You may spend 1 Void Point and expend 1 spell slot of either Air or Water (Void may not be used) as a Simple Action to instantly teleport a maximum distance equal to your School Rank x 100 feet. This affects only you and the material you are carrying, but by expending a second Void Point you may also teleport any horse-sized mount on which you are sitting at the time of the effect. Multiple spell slots may be expended in this manner to move across greater distances.
Not sure about the last sentence. Does that mean that you can spend several slots along a single Void Point to move a total distance of Number of slots x School Rank x 100? Or is it more akin to "This technique can be used any number of times a day.".

Reiko's Guidance
When providing others with a static bonus in a Cooperative roll, your skill is considered to be double its current rank. If you have no ranks in the skill, you instead give a static bonus equal to your ranks in this school.
To avoid having a few ranks in a skill being detrimental at high insight ranks, I would rephrase it as:

"When providing others with a static bonus in a Cooperative roll, instead of adding your rank in that skill to the total, you can add either twice your rank in that skill or your School Rank (whichever is higher)."

Hantei Bushi School
When you spend Void to enhance a High Skill or Battle roll, you may add your Honor to the total of the roll.
In reference to some early game GM questions, would add: "This bonus is not cumulative with other techniques that would allow you to add your Honor Rank to the same roll."

Seppun Carver
Further, provided you have access to the tools and materials needed, you may use Artisan: Woodcarving in place of Meditation to regain spent Void Points.
Rolling Artisan: Woodcarving/Void or Artisan: Woodcarving/Awareness? Do you get access to the Mastery Abilities of Meditation? What about Emphasis?
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Jin

Re: Notes on new schools

Post by Jin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:58 am

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:33 am
Jin Traveler
You may spend 1 Void Point and expend 1 spell slot of either Air or Water (Void may not be used) as a Simple Action to instantly teleport a maximum distance equal to your School Rank x 100 feet. This affects only you and the material you are carrying, but by expending a second Void Point you may also teleport any horse-sized mount on which you are sitting at the time of the effect. Multiple spell slots may be expended in this manner to move across greater distances.
Not sure about the last sentence. Does that mean that you can spend several slots along a single Void Point to move a total distance of Number of slots x School Rank x 100? Or is it more akin to "This technique can be used any number of times a day.".
It's just a reskin of the Iuchi Traveler not a new school. I always read it as the former myself but that would be up the GMs to interpret
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:32 am

I've already gone over the Dragon Spear school several times now at the Dawn forum, so I won't go into that argument again. x_x

I welcome feedback on the Saru Artisan School if there is any. The Path I think I want to revisit a bit, but open to ideas and suggestions.
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Wu

Post by Wu » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:18 am

That is a very good suggestion, thanks for the imput. :D
Dragon Clan - Daimyo of the Wu - Black sheep of the Isawa tribe - Bushi - Spearman - Sage - Enlightened - Experienced
Equipment : In town: Ryu-yari, sturdy clothing. Outside : bronze and leather armor, Ryu-yari, Nage-Yari, Yumi

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:17 am

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:33 am
Seppun Carver
Further, provided you have access to the tools and materials needed, you may use Artisan: Woodcarving in place of Meditation to regain spent Void Points.
Rolling Artisan: Woodcarving/Void or Artisan: Woodcarving/Awareness? Do you get access to the Mastery Abilities of Meditation? What about Emphasis?
Void, no, and no, would be my clarification.
Seppun Dawei
Stag Clan * Bushi * Quiet * O-Iemoto * Experienced
Status 2.0, Glory 2.0, Reputation 4.5
In village: wears sturdy clothes; carries bronze sword, knife, often a piece of wood he's carving, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
Out of village: wears ashigaru armor; carries bronze sword, yumi, quiver of arrows, traveling pack, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
"Speaking" * Thinking
Description from Dawn 1 * Current Description
Player based in Kerrville, Texas

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:00 pm

Togashi Saruko wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:32 am

I welcome feedback on the Saru Artisan School if there is any. The Path I think I want to revisit a bit, but open to ideas and suggestions.
School seems fine to me.

The path is a bit weird though, not by what it does but because it blocks you from the crucial "your Raises are not limited" ability. I would move that part into the rank 1 technique, and replace the rank 2 technique by something else entirely. Something powerful enough to be considered even against the coolness of a magical tattoo. Maybe gaining additional Free Raises up to your School Rank that you can spend freely on all Social Rolls with those you've seen your chosen art (cumulative with rank 1 technique) or something like that?

Also, Tattooed Sage could use the Saru Artisan full rank instead of rank-1. Simpler and in no way broken (you only get one tattoo).
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Return to “Out of Character Chat”