Poll: The Fate of the Hikaru

How will Bayushi handle the Hikaru?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:05 pm

After returning to Scorpion lands, Bayushi Umeno seeks out an audience with Bayushi to discuss the issue of the Hikaru Tribe. Taking care to listen to her concerns, the Kami decides to send a small group of envoys to seek out the leader and begin negotiations. When they arrive in the mountains, the Hikaru lie waiting in ambush, but before it can be sprung, the envoys stop, place all their provisions on the ground, then immediately leave the area. Though initially suspicious of a trap, the starving Hikaru eventually tear into the unattended rations, allowing the envoys to circle back and catch the tribesmen by surprise. Though no violence is offered against them, the demonstration is a grim example of the tactics the Scorpion are willing to use to remove the thorn of the Hikaru, and their leader agrees to meet with the Kami Bayushi. An agreement is reached, and the last of the Hikaru are enfolded into the Scorpion, extending Bayushi's influence to the mountains they call home.
50%
After hearing a casual plea from Bayushi Umeno regarding the future of the Hikaru Tribe, the Kami Bayushi decides to take action to end hostilities once and for all. Choosing a select few of his followers, Bayushi sends them into the mountains with a substantial quantity of food and supplies to be used as bargaining tools with which to bribe their leader into joining the Scorpion. Seeing this as a sign of weakness, the Hikaru Tribe leader agrees to meet with Bayushi and tentatively agrees to join the Scorpion, intending to use the clan's superior resources for his own gain. Stealing and banditry within the clan become commonplace among the former Hikaru for a brief time, only for the tribesmen to befall a tragic series of accidents, until not a one of them remains.
No votes
Between the expansion of land and holdings, and the day to day rigors of running a fledgling clan, Umeno's words about the Hikaru end up being just so much extra noise in Bayishi's ears. Unable to commit the time or resources to properly deal with the highland tribesmen, he does take her words about the people slowly dying out to heart. Rather than manage the problem directly, Bayushi enacts a harsh travel policy banning use of the swamps the remnant Hikaru call home. Though inconvenient in the short term, after a few years' time the lack of steady supplies to raid dooms the remaining highlanders to death or desertion, just as Nozomi had feared.
3%
In the days following the return of the expedition, Bayushi hears yet another report about the Hikaru plaguing the swamps near his territory. Imminently busy with the workings of his clan, the Kami tries to listen to the petition closely, but cannot keep his focus as more pressing matters continue to arise requiring his attention. For the sake of expediency, he agrees to handle the matter and selects a token force of his followers to try and open negotiations with the Hikaru. Though they move into the region with due caution, they are ultimately caught in an ambush and killed in the resulting battle. Fed up with the constant barrage of problems created by the rogue tribe, Bayushi commits a sizeable military force into the swamps to crush what little resistance remains.
9%
Bayushi, fresh from meeting with his siblings, listens to Umeno's words about the Hikaru with a growing sense of trepidation. The remnant tribesmen clearly need to be dealt with, but many other matters have been brought to the Kami's attention which require his immediate focus. In order to alleviate his concerns, Bayushi's wife, Hanako, steps forward and offers to deal with them herself. Grateful but concerned, Bayushi agrees, and the woman enters the swamps alone. Details beyond this point are scarce. Rumors suggest an agreement was reached, yet despite this the Hikaru tribesmen began to disappear one after the other. Now, nobody even remembers the name Hikaru, outside a scant few individuals with a vague recollection of once being part of a mountain tribe...
38%

Total votes: 34

Canary

Poll: The Fate of the Hikaru

Post by Canary » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:05 pm

The Hikaru, who once lived among the mountains at the Spine of the World, now barely scrape by in the swamps near the territory of the Scorpion. A former member, Phi, now Nozomi, asked Bayushi Umeno to have her Clan speak with them.

This poll will run for three days.
GM + Bird + Glorious Plumage + Experienced

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Nozomi

Re: Poll: The Fate of the Hikaru

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:09 am

*snicker* So obviously I have a stake in this game since I and Umeno initiated what became this question.

I'll just say that I find both 1 & 5 very interesting for very different reasons, and I won't tell any of you which of those two I voted for. I'm curious to see what wins, though, and hope it's one of those. I find them more entertaining either way.
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:11 am

Hikaru? More like Hikar-who! :D

... I'll see myself out. :P
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:39 am

1, 2, or 4 is about what Umeno was hoping for. 1 got my vote.
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Former Kawagaya | Stand-Oafish | Blessed
Carries: Armor, Dai Tsuchi, Tetsubo, Tanto, Hat and Cloak, Pack

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:42 am

Bayushi Umeno wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:39 am
1, 2, or 4 is about what Umeno was hoping for. 1 got my vote.
Yeah. Nozomi's personal wish is 1. Her personal fear is 2-4, particularly 3.

My vote is one of 1 or 5. I'm curious which of those will win out, because at this point it's going to likely be one of them.
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:49 am

I wanted to wipe them out but chose a more interesting option.
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace
Supporting Staff: Doji Jigutsuji, Nanzi Jongwun, Raven on shoulder

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:53 am

Nanzi wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:49 am
I wanted to wipe them out but chose a more interesting option.
:lol: I had you pegged as the one, lone 4 vote. I totally had you pegged for that one.
(And yes. 5 is more interesting than 4, and partially has the same effect.)

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:11 am

*was the sole vote for option #4*

8-)
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:49 am

I like that this is turning into a race between two extremely opposite and interesting outcomes, one in which they become good and obedient Bayushis, the other in which their name is practically erased from history and memory! :o
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Shinjo Koyama

Post by Shinjo Koyama » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:57 am

None actually are good for the Hikaru. :(
Once known as Kozan of the Hikaru

Ki-Rin Clan ʭ Highlander ʭ Dragonborn ʭ Froward ʭ Frank ʭ Fierce ʭ Focused
Status: Shinjo's Guidman Glory: Bairn of the Earth Repute: 'Freedom!'

hatchet, spear, studded club, leather-and-bone armour, bear hide cloak
beer skin, dice, xun, cowrie shell strings

Xiao Bao, the sarcastic raccoon dog

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:00 am

Shinjo Koyama wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:57 am
Well, I must note that the last option refers to "a few individuals," when Koyama already led most of them into the Ki-Rin...
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Canary

Post by Canary » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:00 am

At least there's two where the people survive? But yeah, not really a happy ending there.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:02 am

I think we're also kind of past the point where a tribe can continue to live in defiance of the clans and the Empire too, and still get a "good ending".

Some options are much nicer than others though.
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:03 am

Especially a bunch like the Hikaru, whose whole identity is pretty much, "We are Hikaru and therefore you suck."
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:06 am

Umeno tried.
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Former Kawagaya | Stand-Oafish | Blessed
Carries: Armor, Dai Tsuchi, Tetsubo, Tanto, Hat and Cloak, Pack

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:07 am

Shinjo Koyama wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:57 am
As it should be.
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace
Supporting Staff: Doji Jigutsuji, Nanzi Jongwun, Raven on shoulder

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:21 am

Bayushi Umeno wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:06 am
Umeno tried.
Nozomi didn't ask her for more than that. As it stands, it's a tight race, but looks like Option 1 is pulling ahead.

It's... humbling, but I think Nozomi would argue that the remaining Hikaru needed humbling. Those who left already had learned the lesson they needed and found paths. The remaining Hikaru thought they were fine on their own.

Jin

Post by Jin » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:41 am

Always love some Shadow influence so, yeah, had to vote for that.
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:49 am

The last is definitely a dark one. But, with 1, will they be the Hikaru family, or just join the Bayushi?

"Yes, all you clans have many families. We are Scorpion. We are Bayushi. We are one."
Kyosei of the Isawa Tribe
Shugenja • Earth • Experienced • Jade

Glory 2 • Reputation 4 • Status 1
Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.
When out in the area outside the camps, Axe, shovel, bo staff.

Canary

Post by Canary » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:50 am

They will join the Bayushi and the early Shosuro.

Return to “Out of Character Chat”