Poll: Blood Magic Corruption

How corrupt does blood magic become?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:00 pm

The kansen follow those who traveled to the portal to their home territories and spread aggressively out from there. Corruption stemming from blood magic becomes more and more common, until using blood magic stops calling on the pure elemental kami at all. Blood and flesh are soon regarded as unclean in general, as well, leading to the creation of an underclass for dealing with such things when it can’t be avoided.
12%
Few in number but drawn to bloodshed, the kansen haunt battlefields, creating a risk of corruption for those supporting others with the kami in large scale combat. War as a whole gains a reputation for carrying the risk of corruption, leading to the rise of guerilla tactics and preference for skirmishing.
9%
The kansen seek out a few shugenja who are both powerful and amenable to their particular form of corruption in exchange for power. They bind themselves into the bloodlines of these shugenja, creating several powerful, secretive families of cultists. Each one is tied to a particular element, and they develop into a particularly troublesome element in the Empire for generations to come.
15%
Unable to stray far from the corrupted capital for long, the kansen instead venture out briefly, seeking out weak minds. These people they draw back to the corrupted capital, teaching them their corrupted magic there. Jigoku’s remaining influence corrupts these people into some of the first Lost, under the leadership of a powerful maho-tsukai witch, who guides them to begin rebuilding the area in her own image.
26%
The closing of the portal limited the power and range of many of the servants of Jigoku, the corrupted kami included. While blood magic is a risk in the ruins of the old Nezumi capital, it remains pure and a common practice elsewhere in the Empire. Blood never gains the pall of spiritual corruption, making handling of blood and flesh a matter for heimin much like any other.
38%

Total votes: 34

Canary

Poll: Blood Magic Corruption

Post by Canary » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:00 pm

Blood magic as has been traditionally practiced in the Empire has been found to draw the attention of evil spirits in the shadowlands. However, the portal to Jigoku was closed, limiting the gain of the corrupted areas surrounding it and its inhabitants. How corrupt does blood magic become?

This poll will run for 3 days.
GM + Bird + Glorious Plumage + Experienced

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Nozomi

Re: Poll: Blood Magic Corruption

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:07 am

Partial to Options 4 & 5.

While I'm pleased to see "alternate" forms of casting, I kind of side with MS. Wounds taken has proven to be an interesting counterpart and balancing act for some magic. I blood magic remains relatively pure overall, it allows for a legitimately different magical state from the one we see in canon Rokugan, and I'm interested in that difference personally.
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:33 am

I don't really have a horse in this race. Voted battlefield for sneaky tactics.
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Former Kawagaya | Stand-Oafish | Blessed
Carries: Armor, Dai Tsuchi, Tetsubo, Tanto, Hat and Cloak, Pack

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:35 am

Bayushi Umeno wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:33 am
I don't really have a horse in this race. Voted battlefield for sneaky tactics.
*nods* I don't technically either, cause Kiho, ya know... But I think everything but 1 is at least an interesting option. 1 is the perfectly understandable "Default Rokugan" option, and I felt like a change. All four of the others are at least a change, so yay for change!
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:05 am

Guys. Guys

If Blood is not said to be unclean...

We can have Boudin Noir in our Rokugan.

This is the future I want.
Spider Clan | Bushi | Large AF | Blessed by Bishamon and Earth
Carries: Bronze Tetsubo | Fur lined hat and cloak | Bronze Sword | Travelling Pack | Shakuhachi
Accompanied by: Matsu

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:11 am

I just picked one that sounded cool.
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace
Supporting Staff: Doji Jigutsuji, Nanzi Jongwun, Raven on shoulder

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:13 am

I don't want Jigoku to lose its teeth completely, but I want casting to still rely on blood for the moment. :D

This probably also makes the south a dangerous area still, now with Lost in addition to goblins, ogres, and a few oni!
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:46 am

I'm... pleased that as of my vote, 4 and 5 are tied. I like those a lot.
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Jin

Post by Jin » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:40 am

Blood magic should stay viable since we closed the pit (and the mechanic is good) but I like there still being some risks. Went the cult route even though I know it won't win.
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:46 am

I also went with option 4. I wanted to see 3 or 4 for interesting story line development
Ki-Rin • Blessed by Tengoku • Dangerous Beauty • Deaf • Feisty
• Shugenja • Small • Soft-hearted

Miuna | Aono | Description

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:09 am

Even with the portal closed, I do like the idea of having a little something left behind to be of concern...
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Return to “Out of Character Chat”