Poll: The Imperial Legal System

Which option should the Empire adopt going forward?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:58 pm

Jiyo herself proposes a system of laws formed around the calls the Emperor and she have already made on previous legal situations, applying them broadly. Sorting out punishment and disagreements intra-Clan is allowed to stay as an intra-Clan matter, but inter-Clan disagreements are covered by her system. Inter-Clan conflicts are resolved by first gathering testimony – more than a “he said, she said” matter, the parties go through three rounds of legal questioning via written correspondence. Then the magistrate mediates the issue, and the parties are urged to come to an agreement on their own. If an agreement is not reached, then a ruling would be made based on Imperial legal precedent. If either party refuses to participate, their lands and titles may be revoked. Duels are only one of the many compromises two parties might go to to resolve the issue at hand. The Emerald Champion going forward would be appointed by the Emperor, and would ideally be a member of the Imperial Families themselves.
37%
Members of the Crane propose putting a heavier emphasis on dueling in terms of how disagreements are resolved. They cite precedent for it in the tournament of the Kami – they believed that the heavens would decide the winner there, and Lady Sun has blessed the reign of Emperor Shiba since then. How could humans not follow their illustrious example? More practical members of the Clan also mention that it would lighten the bureaucratic load on the nascent system of magistrates. Others point out that such a system has the potential for abuse.
17%
Others suggest a more empirical approach to resolving disputes, suggesting that most crimes leave something behind that would reveal who did the deed, or in the case of disagreements, who is in the right. They suggest looking more into developing a system of investigating the details of crimes and disagreements using this so-called evidence and independent witnesses and testimony to supplement it. They claim that reality can’t lie the way a fallible human can, and the heavens will reveal what needs to be seen. Other suggest even that could still be fabricated, if less easily than simply claiming a falsehood.
34%
Some point out that it might be best to leave the question of who did what to whom to the spirits. They say that consulting the spirits will provide the clearest image of what occurred, being connected directly to heaven through serving the Elemental Dragons. They suggest limiting its use to simply consulting the spirits, ensuring maximum clarity when they do so. Others point out that, to the layman, simply consulting the spirits looks much the same as the illusion spells of the air – if someone knew that those involved didn’t know the difference, they could create whatever result they wished.
3%
Finally, there are those who reject the proposal as a whole, fighting the system in the early courts. They argue that even suggesting such a system is an insult to their honor, implying there are untrustworthy. Surely honorable people can manage their own affairs without the Emerald Champion and her lackeys breathing down their necks.
9%

Total votes: 35

Canary

Poll: The Imperial Legal System

Post by Canary » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:58 pm

Jiyo, the Emperor’s bodyguard and champion, realizes the need for the Empire to have a codified legal system applicable to all. However, she is not the only one with an influence on such matters.

This poll will run for three days.
GM + Bird + Glorious Plumage + Experienced

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Bayushi Umeno

Re: Poll: The Imperial Legal System

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:30 am

*votes last, shakes fist at sky*
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Former Kawagaya | Stand-Oafish | Blessed
Carries: Armor, Dai Tsuchi, Tetsubo, Tanto, Hat and Cloak, Pack

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:37 am

Pffft. We're only 15 votes in. There's 30+ of us, and I suspect at least 20 will come back to vote...

It can still swing!

...ok, this one's less likely to, but it can!
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:41 am

I see where this is going.

*shakes fist.*
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace
Supporting Staff: Doji Jigutsuji, Nanzi Jongwun, Raven on shoulder

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:45 am

Nanzi wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:41 am
I see where this is going.

*shakes fist.*
At present, yours is the only real alternative that's making traction. Heh. I'm holding this vote in reserve for now. Seeing where we are tomorrow, when we've got 25 votes in or so...
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Ch’chit T’kkiri

Post by Ch’chit T’kkiri » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:46 am

This one was only going to go one way.

Forgery replaces Iaijutsu as the most important skill for legal matters. XD
Ratling | Never Lost | Disturbing Countenance | Painful Bite | Fearless | Favorite Pup
Niche: 4.5 | Chieftain Class
Description
Possessions: Spiked Big Stick (Tetsubo), Yumi, Sturdy Clothes, Light Armor, Traveling Pack

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:52 am

Ch’chit T’kkiri wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:46 am
This one was only going to go one way.

Forgery replaces Iaijutsu as the most important skill for legal matters. XD
So, truthfully? Yeah, I kind of could have called this early. It's been an old, long-standing dislike of many players how much Rokugan relies on Testimony, Sincerity and the Status/reputation of the speaker. The Kitsuki have a massive fanbase for a reason (and 9 times out of 10, it's going to be a Kitsuki magistrate, not Doji or Soshi, if it's a PC). So, when they have a chance to actually enact a legal system? yeah, this was going to be a pretty likely outcome.

That or "Magic Rokugan" or "Duel for the Win." Something that avoids the traditional quagmire of canon L5R law. And right now? Duel to Win or Evidence-Based are winning out solidly.

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:05 am

I love the current Rokugan law system, because it really speaks to the core of samurai drama, trying to do the right thing even when you legally can't.

Kitsuki method just makes it like any other fantasy game with law. CSI Fantasy land.

But I understand the appeal.
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace

Ch’chit T’kkiri

Post by Ch’chit T’kkiri » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:12 am

In theory option 1 is a mix of Kitsuki stuff and dueling.

“Handle your own legal matters. When you fight each other though we will collect testimonies and evidence and make our decision... but if you’d like to duel it out or make some other arrangement please do. We’ll stamp anything you do on your own... but if you can’t agree we’ll do it for you.”

But no one likes Imperial oversight... So cest la vie.
Ratling | Never Lost | Disturbing Countenance | Painful Bite | Fearless | Favorite Pup
Description
Possessions: Spiked Big Stick (Tetsubo), Yumi, Sturdy Clothes, Light Armor, Traveling Pack

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:41 am

I mean we have like 5-6 Imperial families we might not have a choice.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:16 am

*becomes an Imperial family that deals with magistrate stuff*

JK ;)

But I did vote for duelling since that is one of those odd things I like about L5R (despite being a fan of the Kitsuki, but I like that the Kitsuki method is considered this radical way of thinking :lol: ).
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Togashi Nadare

Post by Togashi Nadare » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:18 am

Yeah, also voted for duelling. It's one of the core L5R elements . Plus I was never that excited about the Kitsuki method.
Dragon ClanEarthTattooed • Herbalist • Sane • Enlightened
Samurai Without Borders (Co-founder)
Tattoos: Lion (Chest); Balance (Back)
Equipment: Yumi, knife, sturdy clothing, travel pack.

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:09 am

Nanzi wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:05 am
I love the current Rokugan law system, because it really speaks to the core of samurai drama, trying to do the right thing even when you legally can't.

Kitsuki method just makes it like any other fantasy game with law. CSI Fantasy land.

But I understand the appeal.
So many times this.

Else it is like being in the Old West and not being able to gunsling into victorious justice.

Not being able to duel to get a matter resolved would make the whole setting somewhat less interesting, to me.
Stag Clan • Waifu • Bushi • Fierce • Blessed • Rawr • Ouch • Jade Nails • Golden Eyes • Noriaki Beast
DescriptionTheme • Reputation: What is Expected • Status: 4.0 • Glory: 9.0 • Infamy: 1.0

Wears: Black Silk Choker, Jade Pendant (Hantei's Gift).
Outdoor Gear: Battle-Ready Kimono (Designed by Jiyo Ayumu), Small Knife, Bronze Sword, Bow & Arrows, Light Armor.
Indoor Gear: Fabulous White-Golden Kimono (Doji's Gift).
TN to be recognized is 0

Ko

Post by Ko » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:21 am

Dueling in vanilla Rokugan is used to resolve all sorts of disputes not amenable to evidence-based solutions, many of which aren’t even about crimes at all. That hardly seems likely to go away even if dueling isn’t central to criminal law enforcement.

Early modern Europe and North America had civil and criminal legal systems in which dueling played no part at all, but young men still shot and/or stabbed one another over matters of personal honor and reputation all the dang time.

I didn’t vote for Kitsuki Rokugan myself, but I assure you that there is plenty of room for weirdness, eccentricity, violence, and status/honor games in a premodern legal system that incorporates physical evidence. So much room. Lots. @_@
Shore People ✖ 'Bushi? That sounds right' ✖ Stone-tool-user ✖ Awkward ✖ On A Quest
Status: 1.0 ✖ Glory: 1.0 ✖ Reputation: Bad, real bad ✖ Character description

Wears: Simple clothing, pearl and coral jewelry, copper coin bracelet; light armor when expecting danger.
Carries: Walking staff or yumi (or both); knives; jade, pack with misc fishing & survival tools and small daily items. Warclub (tetsubo) when needed.

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:22 am

Will find a way to take advantage no matter what the preference ends up being 8-)
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:26 am

Ko wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:21 am
Dueling in vanilla Rokugan is used to resolve all sorts of disputes not amenable to evidence-based solutions, many of which aren’t even about crimes at all. That hardly seems likely to go away even if dueling isn’t central to criminal law enforcement.

Early modern Europe and North America had civil and criminal legal systems in which dueling played no part at all, but young men still shot and/or stabbed one another over matters of personal honor and reputation all the dang time.

I didn’t vote for Kitsuki Rokugan myself, but I assure you that there is plenty of room for weirdness, eccentricity, violence, and status/honor games in a premodern legal system that incorporates physical evidence. So much room. Lots. @_@
I am not doubting that but it does take something fairly unique to this setting.

There will be blood and ways to game the system, I just hope it takes into account the unique aspects of the social setting that will hopefully still matter.

Canary

Post by Canary » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:09 am

I would like to make note that the only thing changing in the alternate options is how to determine the culprit or who is in the wrong. It's only a modulation of Jiyo's system as people discuss with her what the best way to approach that particular issue is. Dueling emphasis combines whodunnit and resolution a bit.

Canary

Post by Canary » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:32 am

With that clarification in mind, I have opened the poll to change your vote of you wish, since my initial intent was unclear.

Shinjo Koyama

Post by Shinjo Koyama » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:58 am

I voted for what Jiyo wants. I feel no stake in this (perhaps I should, Kolat stuff and all, I know the lore), but one thing I have always strongly disliked about polls is how they can frustrate agendas a person has invested a lot of thought, rp and effort into.
Once known as Kozan of the Hikaru

Ki-Rin Clan ʭ Highlander ʭ Dragonborn ʭ Froward ʭ Frank ʭ Fierce ʭ Focused
Status: Shinjo's Guidman Glory: Bairn of the Earth Repute: 'Freedom!'

hatchet, spear, studded club, leather-and-bone armour, bear hide cloak
beer skin, dice, xun, cowrie shell strings

Xiao Bao, the sarcastic raccoon dog

Ch’chit T’kkiri

Post by Ch’chit T’kkiri » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:07 am

Jiyo’s player isn’t grumpy about any outcome. Birb asked for a possible outline. I gave her a bastardized brand of Kamakura bakufu law in an attempt to keep dueling a thing but let people do other things in their own clans if they wanted because I know dueling isn’t everyone’s thing.

In the end, Jiyo is gonna listen to the best idea (the one that wins the poll) and implement that. Jiyo’s player isn’t invariably attached to any of the options.
Description

Return to “Out of Character Chat”