Elemental Magic (Bloodless Casting)

Hanzou

Elemental Magic (Bloodless Casting)

Post by Hanzou » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:44 am

It's not clear yet how prevalent kansen are, now that the pit is closed. I assume they are still present, but they may not be as significant a threat to bloodmagic practitioners as they became in cannon. Regardless, I feel the game provided enough reason for shugenja to explore alternative methods of harnessing the power of the elements. It is something Hanzou discussed briefly with Agasha and something he became more interested in after the ritual to close the pit.

With Hanzou, Chisei and Kyosei, I believe we have enough to accomplish this. The next question is what will this form of casting look like? I don't think we're at the point of using ofuda yet, but it should probably involve some physical activity to represent the actions needed to cast. But, it would mostly be a fluffy RP thing. I went through the elemental books, reading the sections regarding appeasing the kami (which Fire didn't have) and added a few things to cobble the following together.

These are just general ideas. I'm looking for more suggestions and discussion.

Air
Air spirits generally are eager to respond to the call of a shugenja, since they have a greater affection for humans than is typically found among the other Elements. The Air kami dance and swirl unseen around humans constantly, and they are fascinated by the interactions they observe among mortals. Unfortunately for them, they lack the true range of emotional capacity that humans and other self aware creatures possess, so they often make requests (or demands) or shugenja for some mental or emotional display they might experience and emulate. They can sense strong emotion and are able to share in the experience if a shugenja willingly opens himself up to share these things. This is often enough to entice an Air spirit into being very cooperative indeed.

Of course, this sort of emotional openness can be difficult for samurai; even the most dedicated of Air shugenja are trained to discipline themselves, maintain face, and suppress their emotions. An Air kami entreated by a shugenja who is stoic, placid, and unemotional is less likely to be cooperative and might even take offense, simply ignoring the plea entirely. Depending on how gruff the samurai are, the spirits might even play a trick or two to teach them a lesson. Air spirits believe those who can experience emotion but refuse to do so are wasting one of the greatest treasures of the universe.

Air kami are thus the least likely of the Elemental kami to demand a physical token of devotion or sacrifice, and are most affectionate towards shugenja who can share the deep and rich human experience with them. This is not to say they will reject all physical offerings, but they prefer items or gestures of significant personal worth to the shugenja, such as a fine kimono inherited from a family member, a Go board that was used constantly in games against a cherished friend, and similar.

Sing or Dance for the Air kami.
Share a secret or bit of gossip
Tell a story or riddle
Play a trick on someone
Offer something personal for them to play with

Earth
Earth kami are slow to awake and generally not too communicative in nature, making it an endeavor to commune with them at all. But they are also steadfast and trustworthy, making it often well worth the effort of contacting them. They have very little in the way of wants and needs, and are generally content with their existence. However, mankind has access to a resource which is quite elusive to them: creation. Through patience and effort, men can give new form and purpose to physical objects, and this pleases the Earth kami.

Effort is actually the one key requirement to please the Earth kami. They tend to consider humans as ephemeral, untested creatures, and as such like to see them put under a bit of pressure. For a great favor, a kami might ask a shugenja that he build a small shrine of rock, by himself and using only his hands or tools he crafted himself. Earth kami believe such actions make mankind better understand the slow process of change in the world… and its cost. On some occasions Earth kami have also simply requested some of the shugenja’s energy, making him feel tired or sleepy after the spell is cast. Only through strength of body and mind can the shugenja carry on his duties afterward, thus proving himself worthy to the Earth kami. Most of these requirements are physical, since the Earth kami are rarely interested in the thoughts and moods of human beings. However, they may sometimes require a form of mental or physical purification from those who importune them, such as a meditation, a fast, or another such privation. Asceticism is quite common among Earth shugenja, since more than any others they are taught by the kami to rely primarily on themselves and the bounty of the natural world to survive. Odd vows such as silence or immobility can also be used to curry the favor of the Earth. Finally, blessings and purification rituals – particularly those related to croplands, grounds, or buildings – are always welcomed by the Earth kami.

Mold clay or carve wood or stone
Pick up stones to carry
Make and keep vows
Meditate or fast
Bless or purify the land

Fire
Fire is passion, inspiration and innovation. The Fire kami are, perhaps, the most demanding of the kami, impatient and insistent. Whereas the spirits of the other elements may be appeased over time, the whims of the Fire kami are ever shifting and they often expect their hunger to be fed immediately. The simplest means of doing so is to simply unleash them and allow them to consume freely. They do not like being controlled and are quick to reject attempts to restrict or suppress them. At best, one might be able to distract them, by offering something else for them to feed on.

Fire is most impressed by man’s capacity for knowledge and ability to create. As such, it is rare for tem to be impressed by physical feats, though physical language, such as hand signs and some kata may please them. A well crafted item, especially if made by one’s own hand, is a preferred offering. Such things may be simple wooden trinkets, but more unique and complex works carry greater worth. Fire kami may also be sated with knowledge. They will happily consume obscure or unusual lore or important memories, but such an offering can be dangerous, leaving a shugenja confused and even amnesiac.

Use a different language
Burn a crafted item
Burn a personal craft
Craft something spontaneously
Sacrifice knowledge or memory

Water
As incarnations of change, the Water kami rarely ask twice for the same favor, making it quite difficult for a shugenja to reliably entice them into stronger performance. However, they also communicate their desires more readily, using their unique ability to create visual images to give a clear idea of what they want from others. The kami of Water enjoy motion, and frequently ask a shugenja who seeks their favor to facilitate the flow of water in the local environment – this could be anything from removing a branch stuck in a stream to destroying a dam or some other major obstacle. (Indeed, a few historians have suggested that certain geographical features of the Empire, such as lakes and rivers seemingly out of place, are the result of immense actions by shugenja who needed the help of the most powerful Water kami.) Since travel is also the purview of Water, pilgrimages can be acceptable offerings to the kami – anything from visiting a distant shrine dedicated to a Water-related Fortune to simply visiting the nearest village one has never seen before. Ronin, called “wave-men” for their rootless existence, are in some ways a symbol of this aspect of Water, although they are rarely aware of this spiritual connection. The bamboo “deerscarer” water-clocks found in many Rokugani gardens also are symbols of motion and thus pleasing to the Water kami, who may ask for one to be built for their enjoyment. Water kami also appreciate growth and renewal, so acts which favor the flow of life are pleasing to them. Thus, things like eliminating a diseased animal before it infects others, watering plants affected by drought, or bringing food to a famished village could all earn their approval. Also, the Water kami’s focus on perception and the senses can also be a way of earning their support – for example, some shugenja have been known to give up using one of their senses for a time in order to impress the Water kami with their devotion.

Water kami are connected to the process of purification, and thus are fond of the correct rites used to restore the spiritual balances of individuals and places. Water is used in many rituals to physically and spiritually cleanse an item or individual – for example, a samurai entering a shrine will always wash his hands and mouth with water to avoid spiritually contaminating the place. (This sort of ritual reaches its greatest extreme after a battle, when samurai who are covered in blood and _lth will undergo rituals of washing and purification to cleanse any spiritual pollution.) Similarly, when a katana is completed or is about to be used for seppuku, it is ritually washed with clear water, purifying the spirit of the blade. Although such rituals are usually not performed by a shugenja (except in the most important cases), they retain important religious meanings all the same. Given all these things, it is easy to see how important the act of purification is to the Water kami, who view it as an aspect of change which restores the balance of the world. A shugenja looking to curry their favor will gain much respect through acts like re-consecrating a temple, washing the dirt away from a shrine, or providing appropriate funerary rites to an abandoned corpse lest it disturb the local spirits. An eccentric Dragon shugenja was once known to consult the Water kami in his steam bath, saying that it was only there he could reach complete purity – a claim which is at least partially supported by the renowned spiritual virtues of Rokugan’s natural hot springs.

Needless to say, the Water kami – like all natural Elemental kami – despise the Shadowlands Taint and the malignant kansen spirits which carry it. The Water kami have an especial dislike for the Taint (exceeded only by the hostility of the Earth kami), seeing it as the worst sort of impurity; they will eagerly ask for it to be purged from any area they oversee. The spread of the Taint is one of the few forms of change which Water does not condone, and the Water kami always appreciate those who stop it.

Cleanse someone or something
Provide healing or purification
Emulate motion or movement
Pour water from a container
Move water from place to place

Void
Void stands apart from the others as a single, unfathomable entity. It has no kami to entertain and acts of its own accord, fulfilling the will of the ishiken as it sees fit.
Stranger ~ Shugenja ~ Water ~ Archer ~ Hunter ~ Healer ~ Spirit Talker ~ Small ~ Wary ~ Ennui
Glory 2 ~ Reputation 4 ~ Status 1

Carries: Yumi, Arrows, Aiguchi, Lantern, Water, Medicine Kit, Jade (4/7)

Seidou Satone

Re: Elemental Magic (Bloodless Casting)

Post by Seidou Satone » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:23 am

Are you having bloodless magic require people to do the things listed above every time they cast? It becomes pretty clunky if so and a bit of an annoyance, where prayers are much easier and simpler. Having offerings for shrines like what listed above details is nice, but for everyday spellcasting, it doesn't feel right IMO
Seidou Tribe|Bushi|Large|Strength of the Earth|Blessed by the Earth|Kharmic Tie|Doubt|True Love|Bad Eyesight
Carries: Light Armor, Dai Tsuchi wrapped in blessed rope, Blacksmithing Gear, Jade pendant, 7 uses of jade dust oil
Bodyguard for Seidou Haruyo

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:26 am

I dunno... I kind of like it a little that spellcasting would become more mystical and less spell-slinging.

I see that it can be more difficult for emergency situations though.
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Taochusu

Post by Taochusu » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:23 am

Why not have a standardized specific set of tools? Ones similar to divination tools? It's fun to do the individualistic type stuff, sure. Fluffy interesting. But bloodletting for casting was already standardized so why would this not develop in a similar way and be standardized? Like having five symbolic tools that are individually personal to each caster, but purified and blessed with symbols using the god speech on each of those five tools? Would allow for personalized casting, but standardized practice. One person might have a set of animal bones with each representing a different element, one person having crafted charms, one person having a set of stones, and another having a set of metal rings. Make it so that the appropriate item needs to be presented for the element and used ritualistically.
Wanderer • Large

Carries: light armor, dai tsuchi, guqin, yumi & arrows, small knife, hatchet, jade finger

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:30 am

I'm all in for fluff and a more religious approach to magic, but I agree this sounds quite complex, and not exactly usable under normal circumstances.

Dunno if that helps, but as far as sacrificial magic goes and if I remember correctly (my memories might be mixed with other influences), in old L5R all spells could be drastically boosted by the caster offering something personal matching their nature:
Their bones and flesh for Earth
Their memories and feelings for Water
Their voice and senses for Air
The things and people they held dear for Fire
Their very existence, past and present, for Void
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:01 am

Seidou Satone wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:23 am
Are you having bloodless magic require people to do the things listed above every time they cast? It becomes pretty clunky if so and a bit of an annoyance, where prayers are much easier and simpler. Having offerings for shrines like what listed above details is nice, but for everyday spellcasting, it doesn't feel right IMO
I was just listing a few ideas of how the kami could be appeased. But, I see it more as a fluff thing, ways for players to add flair to the process. That's one of the things I honestly dislike about the use of scrolls, having your hands full limits the extra little things you could do.

ML 1 spells might be simple things which the kami are readily willing to do with little need to persuade them. Higher mastery levels, which take longer to cast, may require something more complex. Successfully calling raises to reduce the casting time simply means the kami are willing to do more for less.
Taochusu wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:23 am
Why not have a standardized specific set of tools? Ones similar to divination tools? It's fun to do the individualistic type stuff, sure. Fluffy interesting. But bloodletting for casting was already standardized so why would this not develop in a similar way and be standardized? Like having five symbolic tools that are individually personal to each caster, but purified and blessed with symbols using the god speech on each of those five tools? Would allow for personalized casting, but standardized practice. One person might have a set of animal bones with each representing a different element, one person having crafted charms, one person having a set of stones, and another having a set of metal rings. Make it so that the appropriate item needs to be presented for the element and used ritualistically.
I think it will end up being something along those lines. At the least, I think elemental foci of some sort could work, ribbon, clay, flint, water. I could see different schools and different individuals adapting different methods. Incense could be used. Music could be used. Kata are a possibility and so forth.

I do think it should be something that can be taken away or restricted, as can be done with bloodmagic and scroll use.
Stranger ~ Shugenja ~ Water ~ Archer ~ Hunter ~ Healer ~ Spirit Talker ~ Small ~ Wary ~ Ennui

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:32 am

I like the idea - which raises the question of, can these things be done in advance, so you have a certain amount of advantage, then once it's gone, you have to do something else to get the kami's blessing?
Kyosei of the Isawa Tribe
Shugenja • Earth • Experienced • Jade

Glory 2 • Reputation 4 • Status 1
Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.
When out in the area outside the camps, Axe, shovel, bo staff.

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:50 am

That would make sense. Morning preparations to gain the favor of the kami.

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:49 pm

I'll agree with the others that even in fluff the mechanics seem clunky. I'm all in favor of non blood casting, and even though I didn't put a point in it (I wanted to!) I'm totally willing to help flesh out the idea.

I'll also agree that I find the use of scrolls cumbersome and annoying so I am in favor of leaning away from that
Ki-Rin • Blessed by Tengoku • Dangerous Beauty • Deaf • Feisty
• Shugenja • Small • Soft-hearted

Miuna | Aono | Description

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:03 pm

Maybe just have Hanzou, who can speak to spirits, learn formalized utterances and/or gestures that the elemental kami respond to from some such source?
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:20 pm

Had a thought - what about, you can do one of the bigger rituals, like mentioned in the first post, and gain something thematic to use to cast the spell better - gain a Free Raise, or allow you to cast beyond your Ring? Or even just to cast at all, without cutting yourself.

For example, While visiting Seppun lands, Kyosei finds a stone that wants to be taken to the top of Seppun Hill. It takes him a timeslot or two to accomplish this, and the stone breaks off a pebble, which he can use as a focus for an Earth spell without having to spill blood. It will work for 1-3 levels of spells, then crumbles to nothing.

Thoughts?
Kyosei of the Isawa Tribe
Shugenja • Earth • Experienced • Jade

Glory 2 • Reputation 4 • Status 1
Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.
When out in the area outside the camps, Axe, shovel, bo staff.

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:44 pm

I would be interested by Hanzou, Chisei and Kyosei in character takes about what elemental magic is and how it is supposed to work.

From my understanding (didn't interact a lot with any of you, sorry), Kyosei is patient and materialistic (has spent years working again and again the same piece of jade), Chisei is theoretical and ceremonial (cf. his behavior during his philosophical session and the wedding) and Hanzou has a innate but hard to explain understanding of all this due to being spiritually born.

Those three approaches merged together have the potential to be... quite interesting.

Also, I totally look forward to a synchronized ballet of air shugenjas calling upon a castle-sized illusion. Not enough cooperative magic outside big events like the one this very game ended with.
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:38 pm

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:44 pm
I would be interested by Hanzou, Chisei and Kyosei in character takes about what elemental magic is and how it is supposed to work.

From my understanding (didn't interact a lot with any of you, sorry), Kyosei is patient and materialistic (has spent years working again and again the same piece of jade), Chisei is theoretical and ceremonial (cf. his behavior during his philosophical session and the wedding) and Hanzou has a innate but hard to explain understanding of all this due to being spiritually born.

Those three approaches merged together have the potential to be... quite interesting.

Also, I totally look forward to a synchronized ballet of air shugenjas calling upon a castle-sized illusion. Not enough cooperative magic outside big events like the one this very game ended with.
Yes, to all of this!

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Kyosei of the Isawa wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:20 pm
Had a thought - what about, you can do one of the bigger rituals, like mentioned in the first post, and gain something thematic to use to cast the spell better - gain a Free Raise, or allow you to cast beyond your Ring? Or even just to cast at all, without cutting yourself.

For example, While visiting Seppun lands, Kyosei finds a stone that wants to be taken to the top of Seppun Hill. It takes him a timeslot or two to accomplish this, and the stone breaks off a pebble, which he can use as a focus for an Earth spell without having to spill blood. It will work for 1-3 levels of spells, then crumbles to nothing.

Thoughts?
Similar ideas are presented in the Book of Air and the Book of Fire as an option for traditional casting. The books suggest that these are things that shugenja likely do off-screen, but GMs could reward such roleplay with free raises or other benefits.

I'm starting to think that creating an elemental focus of some sort may be the best option. The above could be a fun way to fashion such. I'd allow it to last longer, maybe limit its use to a specific area (city or territory) and require its destruction for spells ML 4 and above. This might also allow for the crafting of stronger foci, such as lanterns or musical instruments, that could be taken anywhere.

Shoji Haka

Post by Shoji Haka » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:07 am

I actually prefer Blood Casting, honestly.

It provides an additional requirement to shugenja to pull their power level down a bit.
Shoji Tribe • Shaman • Blind • Enlightened • Earth • Void • Haunted

Glory: 2.0

I gave you blood, blood, gallons of the stuff,
I gave you all that you can drink and it has never been enough

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:09 am

Shoji Haka wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:07 am

It provides an additional requirement to shugenja to pull their power level down a bit.
Likewise, I don't mind blood casting and hope we can also keep pure blood magic. :D
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Togashi Nadare

Post by Togashi Nadare » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:44 am

Shoji Haka wrote:

I agree. Plus with the Pit closed we likely don't have to worry so much about Jansen, at least compared to regular timeline L5R.
Dragon ClanEarthTattooed • Herbalist • Sane • Enlightened
Samurai Without Borders (Co-founder)
Tattoos: Lion (Chest); Balance (Back)
Equipment: Yumi, knife, sturdy clothing, travel pack.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:54 am

Shoji Haka wrote:

And provided that Kansen never become a regular presence in the campaign in the way that they do in traditional L5R (And it is fair to say that they may not have nearly the presence that they do, when Isawa saw his most powerful magic forever corrupted and magic itself twisted by the power of Fu Leng as the shadowlands poured out through the open wound of the festering pit. Without that event, even with a Champion of Jigoku in the foreseeable future, pure blood casting may actually remain a thing.).

If it remains a thing, I will admit that it definitely adds a different element to this story arc not present in any other setting of the game.
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:01 am

Shoji Haka wrote:

Agree! I'd kind of like blood magic to stick around. I'd take my scrolls comment back too cause you can memorize those. Not hurting yourself to heal others might be nice, but if the blood magic remains pure, I see no reason to mess with it.

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:17 am

We can have both, with "simple" blood magic for emergency situation (a.k.a normal play mechanics), and complex bloodless magic for planned, ritualized ceremonies like blessing a marriage (a.k.a fluff and events).

Return to “Out of Character Chat”