The Brotherhood - Order of Heroes (Approved)

Nozomi

The Brotherhood - Order of Heroes (Approved)

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:34 am

(Posted with Taochusu's approval after the Character Goal was approved. Most of the planning credit goes to Taochusu on this one. I added some of the historical references in here, but they're responsible for coming up with the idea, giving up three of the points to do it this year instead of next game, and so I'm very grateful for them coming forward with the idea.)

In the years after the fall of the Festering Pit, the Brotherhood will see an early birthplace in the empire, thanks in no small part to the inspiration of the memory of Taochusu and Ch'Jak'Matt's sacrifices. This monastic order is nearly identical to the canon Order of Heroes, though with a couple key differences (for one, Goemon is not involved, obviously.).

The Order of Heroes Monk
The first organized sect of monks of the Brotherhood of Shinsei, the monks of the Order of Heroes are strong adherents to the ideas of Shinsei. They believe the potential for greatness exists within the soul of all men. With the proper encouragement, any human can become a hero of legend to inspire and teach others. The Order actively seeks out threats and problems that exist within the Empire, and then seeks out individuals who possess the proper talents to deal with the matter conclusively.

The order at this point is simply a Brotherhood that follows Shinsei’s ideas with no one place to call home. They wander the empire and do what they can to seek to fulfill their duties, and thus can be found in any major city or minor village, seeking out those that would protect ningen-do. They are well known for not discriminating for any reason, only caring whether a person is willing and capable of doing what needs to be done, seeking heroes from among the tribes, the clans, the heimin and even sometimes from among non-human races like the Nezumi. While they believe in the infinite potential of humanity, they also recognize the strengths and potential of any that calls Ningen-do home.

In times of danger they seek out those that would face the threats of the day. But in times of peace they keep the ideals of heroism alive, recording and sharing stories of heroism of days gone. Among their first tales are those of sacrifices of the Nezumi hero Ch’jak’matt and the wanderer Taochusu and the epic victory of the rescue of Fu Leng and the numerous heroes that participated in that battle. But their tales tend to focus on those that proved their will and devotion, which are unfortunately usually the tales of sacrifice.

Devotion: Shinseism
Benefit: +1 Perception
Honor: 4.5
Skills: Athletics, Defense, Jiujutsu, Lore: Theology, Meditation, Perform: Storytelling, any one Skill
Technique: Destiny’s Hand - The Order’s esoteric methods allow for the passage of chi from a monk to another without difficulty. You may spend a Void Point as a Free Action to confer a bonus of +1k1 to any one roll this round by an ally who has not yet taken his Turn. You may not enhance a roll that cannot normally benefit from Void Points (such as a damage roll, for instance).
Kiho: 3 at Rank 1. Kiho are (currently, as per tentative discussion with Canary, likely finalized next game) limited to Mastery Level 5 or less, similar to spells currently being limited to Mastery 3 or less.

Historical and Teaching Notes:
  • The Order of Heroes is originally founded by Nozomi (formerly known as Phi), alongside Shinsei. It derived from their reflections on the infinite possibility of human potential and the potential of the mortal soul, which they saw as they traveled alongside Ch’jak’matt and Taochusu and others in their fight to rescue Fu Leng and seal the portal into Jigoku.
  • Like future schools of thought based on Shinsei’s teachings, the Order teaches that attachment leads to suffering, and only in putting aside what attaches oneself unduly to this life does one transcend and find the spirit of enlightenment and a hero within. In realizing this potential, anyone of Ningendo can become a hero. Their earliest stories stress how those who died as heroes put aside their fear of death and loss in the name of benefiting others.
  • Reflective of the earliest thought of Shinsei, the school is more pragmatic than some. Marriage of monks is permitted so long as the attachment is not impeding the monk. Killing is permitted in the defense of others. The Truth is considered ‘flexible’ when embellishing a tale of heroism, so long as the embellishment causes no harm to others.
  • A strong sense of the desire for purity is common, and although monks are ascetic, it is normal to carry items of jade or other protections against something that might corrupt one’s ties to the mortal world. Anything of the mortal world may be a hero, and that tie to this world is protected fervently.
  • The order is mobile and itinerant, without much in the way of a base of operation. Early shrines begin to find their place in Saru lands and the Imperial Capital as members of the order seek out heroes to protect the empire, be they as fellow members or as bushi who display great potential. While traveling, they protect the weak, seek out bold hearts, share Shinsei’s sayings and the stories of past heroes like Taochusu and Ch’Jack’matt and help those in need by seeking threats to the empire at large. Ever vigilance is a hallmark of the order.
  • As the Order gains traction and its early shrines are built, the Chinsei Tribal member Miyako comes to give a gift of Taochusu's beloved musical instrument, the guqin, to the Order. Though not a group with a need of material possessions, the item carried the sentimental significance of Tao and the Chusu people. It was kept as an heirloom of the order, and a physical reminder of the tale of Fu Leng' Rescue and his part in it.
Last edited by Nozomi on Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Wu

Re: The Brotherhood - Order of Heroes (Approved)

Post by Wu » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:08 am

Sweet! :D
Dragon Clan - Daimyo of the Wu - Black sheep of the Isawa tribe - Bushi - Spearman - Sage - Enlightened - Experienced
Equipment : In town: Ryu-yari, sturdy clothing. Outside : bronze and leather armor, Ryu-yari, Nage-Yari, Yumi

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:14 am

Wu wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:08 am
Sweet! :D
Hehe, Yeah. I thought you and a few would be pleased to see early Brotherhood influences. I know that several players have voiced interest in kiho. I'm sure they'll still be painfully hard to come by in Game 3, but it has begun! And it's going to be fun to watch a potentially more spiritua empire moving forward. I agree with Tao's player. This is something we can play up in this version, that spiritual side of the empire from Shiba I's influence.
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:27 am

Between the (popular as hell) library scheme and the early rise of the brotherhood, I think Shiba's Empire is going to be a lot more mystical, if not to the extent of the Togashi Dynasty from IH.
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:32 am

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:27 am
Between the (popular as hell) library scheme and the early rise of the brotherhood, I think Shiba's Empire is going to be a lot more mystical, if not to the extent of the Togashi Dynasty from IH.
And I think that's fitting. Shiba, Fu Leng and Ryoshun are basically the second tier under Togashi in mystical focus, with Shiba being a measured mixture of Duty, Military prowess and Mysticism/Scholasticism. So it makes sense for it to be a more scholarly empire with a solid following of Doji's etiquette, but not nearly as 'rigid' a formality, nor as aggressive a military presence as one might see with say Akodo or Shinjo in charge.

And yeah, the Library's got a solid start going. There's going to be a few big results I think.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:05 am

This is awesome you two! <3

It will for sure be welcome in Saru lands.

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:27 am
I think we'll get a good mix of scholarly and mystical. :D
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:09 am

That's about as awesome a legacy as can be made for them, fantastic all around! :)
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Taochusu

Post by Taochusu » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:10 am

More Brotherhood is more funner!

It made the most sense to me for implementing a legacy. Making their sacrifices into a teachable moment for other potential would-be heroes.
Wanderer • Large

Carries: light armor, dai tsuchi, guqin, yumi & arrows, small knife, hatchet, jade finger

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:11 am

Togashi Saruko wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:05 am

Oh yes. That's definitely good. We conceived that, because a lot of Shinsei and Nozomi's early journeys take them to Saru lands and Imperial lands, and because of the focus on the empire as a whole, their 'bases of operation' would probably exist in the amorphous form that they did within those territories early on.

They're likely to have a shrine at the capital eventually. But they're wanderers, like Taochusu and Shinsei were.

And I'm both amused that Phi participated in this formation because of her background, and very pleased to help Taochusu make it happen. Basically, we both wanted the same thing in the end when Taochusu himself couldn't be with us in the next game, and it makes me grin.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:12 am

Taochusu wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:10 am
More Brotherhood is more funner!

It made the most sense to me for implementing a legacy. Making their sacrifices into a teachable moment for other potential would-be heroes.
I kind of enjoyed making the rules of the order about lying be more ... fluid to embellishments. Phi liked taochusu's storytelling approach a lot, and in the end?

The girl had Failure of Honesty. There was no way she was telling the exact truth. :lol:

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:15 am

Nozomi wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:11 am
Togashi Saruko wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:05 am

Oh yes. That's definitely good. We conceived that, because a lot of Shinsei and Nozomi's early journeys take them to Saru lands and Imperial lands, and because of the focus on the empire as a whole, their 'bases of operation' would probably exist in the amorphous form that they did within those territories early on.
Saruko's school has Lore: Theology (Shintao) for a reason. :D (Which I added before this game, but the coincidence is wonderful still)
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:17 am

We left the emphasis out this time, mostly because Shinseism and Fortunism are still forming things. Once the Tao is penned, in whatever form it takes, I expect that later stages of the Orders will include the emphasis normally. Bit by bit, step by step.

Taochusu

Post by Taochusu » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:22 am

I could imagine Taochusu's soul going through it's cycles on the wheel, each time being identified by the order and pushed to some feat. And in time that soul being purified into the eventual Fortune of Heroes and getting adopted by the Order. All with the only one knowing the truth being Emma-O. Probably not next game because of time constraints, but the one after I may bring a character that has the soul of Taochusu.

I may start making characters that have a singular set of spiritual advantages that share a soul over time skips.
Wanderer • Large

Carries: light armor, dai tsuchi, guqin, yumi & arrows, small knife, hatchet, jade finger

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:26 am

Taochusu wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:22 am
I could imagine Taochusu's soul going through it's cycles on the wheel, each time being identified by the order and pushed to some feat. And in time that soul being purified into the eventual Fortune of Heroes and getting adopted by the Order. All with the only one knowing the truth being Emma-O. Probably not next game because of time constraints, but the one after I may bring a character that has the soul of Taochusu.

I may start making characters that have a singular set of spiritual advantages that share a soul over time skips.
I really like that idea with Taochusu and Ch'Jak'Matt, Tao in particular. that is a LOT better story for how the Fortune of Heroes comes into being than what happened in the canon. Twenty lifetimes as a hero, found, sacrificing their life in the name of others, never afraid of what would come, never holding onto life so dearly that they would not risk it for the sake of the weak and defenseless.

That is a good story for the birth of that kind of fortune.

Togashi Nadare

Post by Togashi Nadare » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:28 am

Love it 8-)
Dragon ClanEarthTattooed • Herbalist • Sane • Enlightened
Samurai Without Borders (Co-founder)
Tattoos: Lion (Chest); Balance (Back)
Equipment: Yumi, knife, sturdy clothing, travel pack.

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:29 am

I wonder... instead of having the guqin be buried/burned with you if it might make more sense for someone to keep it and have it take an honorary place at one of the early shrines.
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Taochusu

Post by Taochusu » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:31 am

Whatever people want to do with it. Early artifact creation could be fun.
Wanderer • Large

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:31 am

I am wholeheartedly behind the idea of Taochusu's soul being the eventual Fortune of Heroes.
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:34 am

Miyako wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:29 am
I wonder... instead of having the guqin be buried/burned with you if it might make more sense for someone to keep it and have it take an honorary place at one of the early shrines.
I would actually be 100% fine with this. However, this is where I'm going to note that if it takes up residence in the shrines, it won't be Phi who does it herself. More of an outcropping his legend leads to it showing up. Maybe Miyako or another brings it.

Oh, why you ask? *coughs and laughs* Phi's Forsaken/Cursed by Yomi. I don't get to have pretty inheritances.

Bayushi Umeno

Post by Bayushi Umeno » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:42 am

*throws confetti and puts up a 'AWESOME JOB!' banner* <3
Scorpion Clan | Bushi | Former Kawagaya | Stand-Oafish | Blessed
Carries: Armor, Dai Tsuchi, Tetsubo, Tanto, Hat and Cloak, Pack

Return to “Out of Character Chat”