Day 7 EM: Training at dawn

Wu

Day 7 EM: Training at dawn

Post by Wu » Fri May 29, 2020 4:25 am

Wu could feel the humidity on his skin...it was not pleasant for training but he doubted that would improve any time soon so it isetter get used to it.

In the shadows of the spires, somewhere quiet, he began his daily training.
Dragon Clan - Daimyo of the Wu - Black sheep of the Isawa tribe - Bushi - Spearman - Sage - Enlightened - Experienced
Equipment : In town: Ryu-yari, sturdy clothing. Outside : bronze and leather armor, Ryu-yari, Nage-Yari, Yumi

Nozomi

Re: Day 7 EM: Training at dawn

Post by Nozomi » Sat May 30, 2020 1:07 am

Phi was coming back from the morning patrols by now, as the sun properly rose. The humidity was less than pleasant, but this was not the awfulness that she'd been dealing with only two days ago, and she'd take that. Catching sight of the spearman and daimyo of yet another family conducting his own workouts, she decided to take a moment and settle on a rock. Her report wasn't anything impressive from last night, so she'd get it to them soon. No reason to hurry, since the shift had already changed.

If he happened to look, the veiled girl would nod in his direction but not move to interrupt him unless he spoke to her.
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Wu

Post by Wu » Sat May 30, 2020 5:09 am

From what could have been observed, the training was based on momentum and movement: Long jumps, standing jumps and running.

After a makeshift obastacle course the dragon came back around to drink some water. Only then could he notice the other person.

He gave a nod before taking a sip.
Dragon Clan - Daimyo of the Wu - Black sheep of the Isawa tribe - Bushi - Spearman - Sage - Enlightened - Experienced
Equipment : In town: Ryu-yari, sturdy clothing. Outside : bronze and leather armor, Ryu-yari, Nage-Yari, Yumi

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sat May 30, 2020 7:52 am

(OOC: Bah, forgot to bookmark this one, sorry.)

She watched him perform a string of maneuvers that were both very acrobatic and also demanded a great deal of space. The very 'dragoon' feel of the maneuvers relied on the added momentum to produce real force. If it could hit, it would brutally skewer someone. Not her style at all, but she could see the purpose.

"Never seen a method like that. Where you from?" she asked after a moment while he took a sip.
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Wu

Post by Wu » Sat May 30, 2020 8:51 am

Wu raised his head once again to the one who asked. He remembered seing her at camp but could not quite tell if she was a recruit from one of the clans or one still independant.

''I travelled around for most of my life...so a little bit of everywhere north of the Seppun lands. I was born Isawa, however. As for this technique, it is not oneyou will find anywhere but in the Dragon protected lands.''

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sat May 30, 2020 9:23 am

"Ah you are one of the ones with Saruko then," she said, nodding once and seeming to take that a bit in stride. "No, I've never been far north of the spine, and I haven't seen the north side of the mountains in at least five years, so I suppose I wouldn't have. It's... interesting." She certainly was impressed to never see its like. It wasn't like the crude methods employed by bandits she brought down or her own halting familiarity. There was a refinement.

"Phi," she added, nodding her head to regard him. "One of the scouts we have on this little trek to hell. So far, it's gone swimmingly. We're out of that blasted swamp at least."

Wu

Post by Wu » Sat May 30, 2020 9:31 am

''Yes, Saruko is my collegue'' he confirmed. When time for introduction were made he bowed ''I am called Wu.''

He could not help but stretch a bit, his training was not totaly over.

''I have been refining this style for the last five years. I hope it will serve our clan and students well. Might I ask where do you hail from, Phi?''

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sat May 30, 2020 9:45 am

"What remains of the Hikaru. We're still wedged into the spine, north of the Beiden now. There's a nasty patch of bog out there, north of the Scorpion's main towns. Nobody wants it, so they let us squat in the mountains like we like." As long as they didn't do their raid on Scorpion caverns and get caught doing it, of course. They were smarter than to do something like that. Always good to have an understanding with your neighbors. "Haven't set foot past the bog in ... probably about three four years. Not since the pass got claimed."

It might have been nearly as big as Seikitsu to the north, but Beiden had more than enough terrain for a small force and any caravan to pass through. Valuable, that close to the capitol.

Wu

Post by Wu » Sat May 30, 2020 10:11 am

Hikaru?...I can see that

''Ah. Is your tribe doing well?''

After Shinjo swallowed most of your people

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sat May 30, 2020 9:54 pm

She chuckled darkly. "We are Hikaru. We endure. We've always endured. Good secret to letting yourself stay free in the midst of all this is to pick the land nobody wants. You can stake it out for longer." A firm shake of the head. "But... they know that this will not last. They do not wish to admit it, but the old ways are fading. They will not be able to remain apart forever."

Wu

Post by Wu » Sat May 30, 2020 11:36 pm

The conversation had grown interesting he knew Sora a bit but not about the Hikaru at large. He did his best to dry himself with a cloth, if oonly to be comfortable should this discussion continue.

''The Hikaru are a mountain people right? Can you tell me more about your tribe? What will they do next?''

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Sun May 31, 2020 1:02 am

She grunted and nodded, moving in a bit closer as the two of them talked, settling on a stump and leaning forward so those red eyes of hers could meet his up front. "We prefer the highlands. Good view of all. Defensible. Can forage out into the lowlands when we need. We like the land rough. Prefer tough ones, ones who want to stand on their own. Can't carry your weight? Go down to the lowlands. A Hikaru stands on their own feet, or they die on them." A lot of tribes could say the same, but it was a matter of pride for the Hikaru that this was the way they were.

"Endure. They plan to wait this out, figure out their own way forward. But the winds of change are coming, and they'll find a space, or they'll fade. I plan to find a place in this new world."

Wu

Post by Wu » Sun May 31, 2020 9:20 pm

Wu listened, wondering an pondering. The Hikaru sounded like prideful people, hard and resilient but unyielding.

''I understand the need for independance'' he began ''Would your people accept partnership if offered?''

Then came her own matter

''And have you found a place that pleases you so far?''

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:32 am

"Those who would left to join the Shinjo five years ago. Those that remain... will take some convincing." That was a pretty apt way to put it. The phrase 'resistant to change' was very applicable to the Hikaru that remained Hikaru at this point. They were set in their ways and rather demanding, all things considered.

"I just came down from the mountains about a month ago, so for the moment..." She looked around and grunted. "It's a lovely city. Very interesting, but no. I don't think I want to settle down here, and the swamp we left is right out. I think I'm going to be looking a little longer."

Wu

Post by Wu » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:18 am

Wu pondered the answer for a moment

''I see, thank you.'' he replied with a nod ''Have you spoken with the other people here about the Kami?''

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:41 am

"Several. What I've learned... has helped some. I know who I will likely approach when this ends. Not one of the three I will see in the next several days, but I am sure who I will approach." She reached up and flicked her fingers at the mask. "Apparently I'm a bit obvious in this, but I wasn't really hiding it."

Wu

Post by Wu » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:46 pm

Wu tilted his head, quizzically.

''A mask?'' he was not sure what that meant ''You are joining an acting troupe?''

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:46 pm

"Ah, I thought the story of Bayushi's mask was known more widely." She shook her head. "I believe the story goes that he took a piece of the cloth of his garment off when he entered their great tournament. I have been considering putting myself before him when this is done."

Wu

Post by Wu » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:02 am

''Ah'' Now he understood ''Yes, I witnessed the event myself though I did not know this was a tradition for his people. Already wearing one is tricky. It might be viewed as arrogance...as if you think you already belong there. But he might respect this...it is hard to know.''

he crossed his arms

''I expect Lord Bayushi to grill you on it, however.''

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:14 am

"One could see it a few ways. I simply found it... an interesting idea. It makes it hard to see my features after all, hides if I smile or frown. I do not know if it is tradition among his. I've been told by the one here that it is ... becoming more common." A shrug. She wasn't quite as concerned after several talks as she'd been. "But I am sure he will ask me why should I come before him."

Return to “The Outskirts”