D7LA- Ooh, Shriny (Expecting, but Open)

Seppun Dawei

D7LA- Ooh, Shriny (Expecting, but Open)

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sat May 30, 2020 1:24 am

Dawei finds himself walking the camp, perhaps somewhat impatiently, as if looking for something to which to set his hands.
Seppun Dawei
Stag Clan * Bushi * Quiet * O-Iemoto * Experienced
Status 2.0, Glory 2.0, Reputation 4.5
In village: wears sturdy clothes; carries bronze sword, knife, often a piece of wood he's carving, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
Out of village: wears ashigaru armor; carries bronze sword, yumi, quiver of arrows, traveling pack, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
"Speaking" * Thinking
Description from Dawn 1 * Current Description
Player based in Kerrville, Texas

Jiyo Ayumu

Re: D7LA- Ooh, Shriny (Expecting, but Open)

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat May 30, 2020 1:52 am

Ayumu was back from the city, and his head was buzzing with ideas. He was walking toward his tent to drop his bag, when he caught sight of the Seppun, and suddenly changed course.

"Seppun Dawei?"
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sat May 30, 2020 2:01 am

Dawei, hearing himself addressed, turns and, recognizing the approaching Ayumu, bows.

"How can I help you, Slim?"
Seppun Dawei
In village: wears sturdy clothes; carries bronze sword, knife, often a piece of wood he's carving, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
Out of village: wears ashigaru armor; carries bronze sword, yumi, quiver of arrows, traveling pack, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
"Speaking" * Thinking

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat May 30, 2020 2:02 am

Ayumu signed: I hear you very good wood craft.
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sat May 30, 2020 2:04 am

Dawei raises a hand, shakes it as if to say "so-so."

Then again, a set of his carvings was gifted to Shiba-heika, so that's a relative term.

He raises an eyebrow questioningly, a clear "Why?"
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat May 30, 2020 2:13 am

Ayumu went back to spoken speech as he wasn't confident in his ability to convey something so complicated with hand gestures:

"I realized we forgot to bring something with us. Something whose lack starts to become more obvious as we go deeper into these dark lands and tensions start to build up.

We have no safe space dedicated to prayers, where people can just come, kneel before a statue of a Fortune and remain until they're at peace with themselves again."

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sat May 30, 2020 2:56 am

"Huh. Hadn't thought about that, actually. Makes sense, though."

Dawei nods to emphasize the point.

"Carrying capacity might be at a premium, though. Supply wagon notwithstanding; we might end up packing things in ourselves."
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat May 30, 2020 3:28 am

"The weight of our supplies will only go down from now on. And I'm not thinking about a big thing. A spare tent will do as our temple. We'll need religious icons to convey the mood and help people focus though. And, indeed, we must be able to transport those icons easily without damaging them or significantly increase our hassle.

Are you familiar with the concept of a miniature, portable shrine? It's basically a box, that can be opened to reveal statues of gods. Some are basic things, just two bas-reliefs tied together when carried away. Some are truly marvel of arts, carved from a single piece of wood, that unfold to reveal a scene fully sculpted, with powerful gods standing out of a fabulously detailed set.

When well-done, it's robust. It's lighter that it looks, and it radiates holiness."

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sat May 30, 2020 3:45 am

"I hadn't been familiar with such, no. But your description is good enough. And I suppose that why you asked me about my carving earlier is because you think I am equal to the task of carving such a thing?"
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat May 30, 2020 4:30 am

"If you cannot, no one else here, save for the Kami themselves, can."

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sat May 30, 2020 4:33 am

Dawei looks at Ayumu long, weighing his words.

At length, he says "Do you have wood?"
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat May 30, 2020 4:47 am

"Yes and no. We gathered at least a few extra when it was cold, but those are small logs at best. Maybe good for small statues, but that's no prime material.

I thought you had some sort of secret stash as you seem to always have enough at hand to carve."

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sat May 30, 2020 4:51 am

Dawei cannot help but bark out a laugh.

"No such luck on that score, Slim! No, the piece I've been working on, I took from the creek near camp six days back. But perhaps I can look tonight while I am about; perhaps something here will present itself. But I am not a priest; I never had such gifts. What would I carve?"
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat May 30, 2020 5:12 am

"Would you need me to, I can of course help you getting the wood. Or support you by taking care of the smoothing or any task that's more patience than skill. It's the least I can do.

Sorry. I'm a bit overly enthusiast. The wonders of the Nezumi city have made me realize there's so much potential yet unexplored in art and craft.

As for subject, the Fortunes are always a safe bet. They're powerful. They're well-known. They can look as you wish as long as you keep them in theme with what they incarnate: Benten must be a lovely lady, Bishamon a warrior, Daikoku a merchant, Ebisu a manual worker, Fukurokujin a scholar, Hotei a simple man and Jurojin a healer.

Some artists actually model their depiction of Ebisu after themselves. Don't know if that's clever or disrespectful."

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sat May 30, 2020 5:27 am

"I don't think I'd risk such an affront. But I'll see if I can find a piece that has such a figure in it, and I will work to carve it along the way."
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat May 30, 2020 5:30 am

"That would be incredible. I will take care of the other details. And my offer of help still stands.

Out of curiosity, where did you learn to sculpt so good?"

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sat May 30, 2020 7:08 am

"Practice, Slim, and the gift of time in which to practice, both the carving work and seeing what shapes the wood has in it."

He shrugs. "Nothing formal, certainly."
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat May 30, 2020 7:22 am

"And what time and experience have taught you, do you teach it to others?"

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sat May 30, 2020 10:00 am

"I've not yet. Others have been more interested in how to move quietly and...handle threats swiftly than in how to free forms from the wood that contains them."

Dawei shrugs.

"Admittedly, the moving helps more overtly than the carving."
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat May 30, 2020 4:20 pm

"Well, it's all about the where and the when. At the moment, in this very place, carving sounds a far more useful skill than sneaking. We're not going to build anything out of sneaking.

Personally, if you were to teach me the art of wood-sculpting, I'll be interested. Others might be too."

Return to “The Camp”