Frustration (D5, EM, Open)

Jin

Frustration (D5, EM, Open)

Post by Jin » Mon May 25, 2020 4:18 pm

This isn't supposed to be here.

"You aren't supposed to be here." Jin muttered quietly.

His planning had accounted for potential flooding from the river slowing travel but this wasn't simple flooding. That couldn't explain established swamplands like this. Had they veered of course or had someone changed their route?

Grumbling the one eyed man squinted out into the swamp and began trying to plan a route through it.
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Anjing Xia

Re: Frustration (D5, EM, Open)

Post by Anjing Xia » Mon May 25, 2020 4:29 pm

Jin wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:18 pm
This isn't supposed to be here.

"You aren't supposed to be here." Jin muttered quietly.

His planning had accounted for potential flooding from the river slowing travel but this wasn't simple flooding. That couldn't explain established swamplands like this. Had they veered of course or had someone changed their route?

Grumbling the one eyed man squinted out into the swamp and began trying to plan a route through it.
Brightly
"Late rains in the mountains perhaps? Or maybe a blockage downstream? Or maybe both?!?!?" so many possibilities!
"It's probably a recent development, so maybe the Nezumi did it for some reason? Or they mmight at least know what happened." Xia looks around for a giant ratman as she busies herself trying to assist Jin's planning.
Crab • Seidou • Niece of the Daimyo • Surprisingly Literate • A Little Awkward
• Here To Help • Front Line Combatant • Recorder Of History

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon May 25, 2020 4:32 pm

"To yield this much growth and wildlife? I guess maybe the Nezumi would know if this was normal but it seems so strange that there wouldn't be a sign in other seasons."
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Mon May 25, 2020 4:35 pm

Jin wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:32 pm
"To yield this much growth and wildlife? I guess maybe the Nezumi would know if this was normal but it seems so strange that there wouldn't be a sign in other seasons."
"Maybe we could collect some flora samples? If we can examine some of the known species we might be able to figure out how long they've been growing here for?"
Weren't there a few expedition members who knew their swamps? They might know.

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon May 25, 2020 4:40 pm

Jin scratches his chin, "I'm afraid plants, beyond healing, are not something I have studied. But perhaps someone here would recognize something helpful if you wish to gather some. Just be safe - swamps can be deceptively deep."

Description

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Mon May 25, 2020 4:46 pm

Jin wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:40 pm
Jin scratches his chin, "I'm afraid plants, beyond healing, are not something I have studied. But perhaps someone here would recognize something helpful if you wish to gather some. Just be safe - swamps can be deceptively deep."
Visibly pleased at the prospect of helping
"I'll just use my club to mark depth. Don't you worry about me Jin-sama, I'll be back with all the samples we need."
She kicks off her boots before rolling up her pant legs and hoisting her weapon in one hand with a large sack in the other
"We'll get to the bottom of this!"
And Xia hurries off, splashing into the misty swamp as she hunts for just the right kind of plants.

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon May 25, 2020 4:48 pm

Jin can't help but chuckle at the enthusiastic girl. It seemed life was determined to keep throwing them in his path.

"Be sure of it. If you flounder I'm not well suited for dragging you out."

Description

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Mon May 25, 2020 4:58 pm

Jin wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:48 pm
Jin can't help but chuckle at the enthusiastic girl. It seemed life was determined to keep throwing them in his path.

"Be sure of it. If you flounder I'm not well suited for dragging you out."
Some time later.....

A mud coated humanoid figure carrying a huge bundle of reeds and with a dozen smaller plants poking out of her sack squelches back onto relatively dry land, panting heavily as they lean on their weapon
"It's uh" pant "Really" pant "Quite deep in there. And it smells bad...and it's cold, and the mud gets everywhere."
More squelchingf as she carefully lays out her samples in front of Jin
"I got as much as I could, but...and I don't really know swamps Jin-sama, but it felt...off? Just a wrong sort of swamp I guess."

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon May 25, 2020 5:05 pm

The older man sighs and knicks his arm gently with his blade and as the blood drips to disappear into the swamp a bubble begins to form above the Crab. Growing larger and larger until it finally bursts and showers her in surprisingly, if comfortably, warm water to wash the worst of the mud away.

"Thank you, Xia. Be careful not to let that enthusiasm get the best of you. Our journey will grow more dangerous with each day traveled."

Description

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Mon May 25, 2020 5:18 pm

Jin wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:05 pm
The older man sighs and knicks his arm gently with his blade and as the blood drips to disappear into the swamp a bubble begins to form above the Crab. Growing larger and larger until it finally bursts and showers her in surprisingly, if comfortably, warm water to wash the worst of the mud away.

"Thank you, Xia. Be careful not to let that enthusiasm get the best of you. Our journey will grow more dangerous with each day traveled."
A little in awe with the ease by which Jin communed with the spirits, she rubs the worst of the muck off with the power of bubble water.
"Of course Jin-sama. I'll try to find that sweet spot of helping but not uh, dying I guess? I'm very keen to help though, really, if it comes to it. I'm young so if I die, well, I don't think too many would notice. Much better I go into the swamps then yourself."

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon May 25, 2020 5:20 pm

The older man frowns at that, "Age may bring experience, if not always wisdom, but that just means you have had fewer chances to contribute to the world yet. Your life is not worth any less than mine for that. You may very well surpass me if it is not thrown away foolishly."

Description

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Mon May 25, 2020 5:27 pm

Jin wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:20 pm
The older man frowns at that, "Age may bring experience, if not always wisdom, but that just means you have had fewer chances to contribute to the world yet. Your life is not worth any less than mine for that. You may very well surpass me if it is not thrown away foolishly."
Xia looks desperately like she wants to argue. But the Crab know she's unlikely to win against Jin, that and arguing for the lack of value of one's life is a little morbid.

"That is very generous of you to say Jin-sama. But unless the spirit start speaking to me or, frankly, anyone in my Clan starts speaking to me..."
Forcing a slightly muddy smile "Well, until then we have to examine these plants!"

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon May 25, 2020 5:39 pm

Jin smiles softly, "One does not need magic to change the will. Just wisdom... or sometimes luck." He rests his good hand on her shoulder, "And I have no doubt your family will learn to appreciate you though it may take time."

Description

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Mon May 25, 2020 5:45 pm

Jin wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:39 pm
Jin smiles softly, "One does not need magic to change the will. Just wisdom... or sometimes luck." He rests his good hand on her shoulder, "And I have no doubt your family will learn to appreciate you though it may take time."
The Crab blushes slightly

"You're very- I mean, you don't have to- it's kind of you to-"
Focusing on the task before her
"Thanks Jin."

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon May 25, 2020 5:51 pm

Jin holds back a laugh knowing it would hurt the girl where not intended then moved to helping her sort the plants, "You're welcome."

Description

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Mon May 25, 2020 6:00 pm

Jin wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:51 pm
Jin holds back a laugh knowing it would hurt the girl where not intended then moved to helping her sort the plants, "You're welcome."
Trying her best to sort out the muddy reeds, and partially of the opinion that a reed is a reed is a reed.
"Um, when you were young did you ever feel....?" She gestures to herself.

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon May 25, 2020 6:06 pm

Time had made it easier, somewhat, to talk about his past though it still came hard.

"By your age I'd already cut out my own eye so people would finally let me try to help them."

Description

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Mon May 25, 2020 6:15 pm

Jin wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:06 pm
Time had made it easier, somewhat, to talk about his past though it still came hard.

"By your age I'd already cut out my own eye so people would finally let me try to help them."
Xia opens her mouth, closes it, opens it once again and then awkwardly looks down.
"Ah."
Awkwardly rubbing her hands together
"That....sort of puts my problems in perspective."

Jin

Post by Jin » Mon May 25, 2020 6:18 pm

"We all have our obstacles to overcome. I hope yours is an easier path but with the will and determination any can be overcome."

Description

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Mon May 25, 2020 6:34 pm

Jin wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:18 pm
"We all have our obstacles to overcome. I hope yours is an easier path but with the will and determination any can be overcome."
"I feel a bit silly now, more than a bit silly. You're very patient to put up with me. I probably won't have to cut off any parts of my body."
pause
"At least, I hope not."

Return to “The Wetlands”