[D5, EE] Give Me a Sign (open)

Shinjo Miuna

[D5, EE] Give Me a Sign (open)

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Tue May 26, 2020 2:54 am

Aono and Miuna gathered around one of the fires, sitting near each other, wrapped up in blankets to keep the cold at bay. They waited patiently to see who would show up for their second foray into the mysteries of non verbal communication. Miuna sneezed. She did not enjoy all the cold wetness.
Ki-Rin • Blessed by Tengoku • Dangerous Beauty • Deaf • Feisty
• Shugenja • Small • Soft-hearted

Miuna | Aono | Description

Jiyo Ayumu

Re: [D5, EE] Give Me a Sign (open)

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Tue May 26, 2020 3:12 am

Ayumu approached, signed a salutation, and sat quietly.
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Tue May 26, 2020 5:45 am

Miyako arrived at the campfire for the next signing lesson, her blanket wrapped around her to keep her warm before she sat down. She signed 'hello' and 'how are you' as she learned yesterday to the two Shinjo ladies as well as to Ayumu. "If it is not too much trouble, might we start with just a quick refresher for a few minutes? If only so that I might ensure that I remembered things correctly," she asked pleasantly as she scooched closer to the fire.
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Tue May 26, 2020 6:17 am

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:12 am
Ayumu approached, signed a salutation, and sat quietly.
Miuna and Aono sign Salutations to both Ayumu and Miyako.
Miyako wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:45 am
Miyako arrived at the campfire for the next signing lesson, her blanket wrapped around her to keep her warm before she sat down. She signed 'hello' and 'how are you' as she learned yesterday to the two Shinjo ladies as well as to Ayumu. "If it is not too much trouble, might we start with just a quick refresher for a few minutes? If only so that I might ensure that I remembered things correctly," she asked pleasantly as she scooched closer to the fire.
Aono spoke softly, signing as usual for the duration of the lesson. "Of course, Miyako. We covered many things during the first lesson that I was going to present during this lesson so we will spend the majority of our time tonight practicing and trying to form statements and questions." She shivered and Miuna sneezed again. "This weather is very inconvenient for trying to teach using your hands." She laughed a bit, warming her hands against the glow of the campfire.

Inga

Post by Inga » Tue May 26, 2020 6:43 am

Inga came for another lesson. The girl waved hello to the two teachers and took a seat. She watched the people slowly arrive at the 'classroom' she practiced some of the previous signs.
♧Shoji tribe ♧Bushi ♧Unlucky ♧Daredevil ♧Superstitious ♧Fortune Teller ♧Haunted ♧ Very Unfortunate
♧Glory: 1 ♧Reputation: Untrustworthy ♧Status:1

Equipment: Bow, quiver, Light armor, Finger of Jade, Tanto,

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Tue May 26, 2020 6:46 am

Hanzou arrived, greeting everyone with a wave and a smile as he sat down.
Stranger ~ Shugenja ~ Water ~ Archer ~ Hunter ~ Healer ~ Spirit Talker ~ Small ~ Wary ~ Ennui
Glory 2 ~ Reputation 4 ~ Status 1

Carries: Yumi, Arrows, Aiguchi, Lantern, Water, Medicine Kit, Jade (4/7)

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue May 26, 2020 6:47 am

The Dragon woman showed up for another lesson. Always be learning!

Giving a wave in greeting, she sat down with the others. She managed to sign "hello".

"Good evening, everyone."
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Ninube

Post by Ninube » Tue May 26, 2020 8:14 am

Ninube came again. "Hello." She tried to sign hello. She instead signed "mountain."
Spider Clan * "Scout" * Unloved By Her Ancestors

Items: Bronze Sword * Jade * Ashigaru Armor (when scouting and such) * Mask (when scouting and such) * Lucky Cricket in Cage (during down time)

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Tue May 26, 2020 9:03 am

The sisters signed Salutations to Inga and Hanzou when they arrived. Miuna was happy to see Hanzou attending the class as he was not present for the first one.
Togashi Saruko wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:47 am
The Dragon woman showed up for another lesson. Always be learning!

Giving a wave in greeting, she sat down with the others. She managed to sign "hello".

"Good evening, everyone."

Miuna and Aono bowed to Saruko and Miuna beamed at her. So far she had met two Kami spouses and liked them both. Hantei Kinsen, with her delicious food that she was pretty sure Ayumu was still angry about, and Togashi Saruko, the mistress of story telling.

The women welcome Ninube before beginning.

"Good evening, and thank you all for coming. Before we start practicing, since we covered a much more broad range of subject matter than I had intended, we will only be learning a couple new things and then going over them and things from the previous lesson. Of course you are always welcome to ask questions as well. Tonight, we answer the question "how to tell if someone is asking a question". If you are asking a question, it is usually conveyed through facial expressions coupled with the hand gestures. Raising of the eyebrows and also "holding" the last part of the sign can convey that it is a question and not a statement." The sisters demonstrated a couple examples to give them an idea. There was much more movement in a question posed than while demonstrating a statement. It found the body language quite flat.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue May 26, 2020 10:48 am

Saruko paid close attention, happy that her question from the previous lesson was being answered.

"Oooh... that make sense." They were miming how a question sounded like!
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Tue May 26, 2020 9:19 pm

Dawei, having quietly made his entrance, follows along, mimicking signs as he can.

The only problem with this in the field, he thinks, is that the motion would attract attention.

That
, as he realizes another, and covering a face would inhibit it, too.
Seppun Dawei
Stag Clan * Bushi * Quiet * O-Iemoto * Experienced
Status 2.0, Glory 2.0, Reputation 4.5
In village: wears sturdy clothes; carries bronze sword, knife, often a piece of wood he's carving, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
Out of village: wears ashigaru armor; carries bronze sword, yumi, quiver of arrows, traveling pack, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
"Speaking" * Thinking
Description from Dawn 1 * Current Description
Player based in Kerrville, Texas

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Wed May 27, 2020 5:24 am

The women introduced and then practiced signs for wildlife with the group. It seemed important to discuss these signs as they were things the group encountered daily now. The talked about animals and plants and landmarks. They discussed how to alert others to dangerous situations and landscapes as well. Miuna got the group laughing with her demonstration of the word 'stag', using her hands to mimic antlers. When she used the hand sign for 'boar', someone suggested one could use this sign to insult another, which earned a few quiet snickers. Despite it being so abnormally cold, the gathering felt warm and inviting. Miuna stood and went to sit near Saruko, quietly watching her hand movements and gently making corrections when necessary. It wasn't often, though, as the Dragon woman learned quickly and efficiently. She smiled sweetly, catching the eye of the young Hanzou, delighted that he had turned up to this lesson after missing the first.

Aono addressed the group once more. "Since we have some here that were absent from the pervious lesson, let's have those that were present help them bridge the gap. Of course, I am still here to answer any questions so do not hesitate to ask." She smiled gently as she met the gaze of each attendee.

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Wed May 27, 2020 5:27 am

Dawei signs "The Stag," and he emphasizes the antler-sign, "greet you." Or he means to.

Thing is, "greet" and "eat" look a lot alike.

And a question occurs to him.

"What would happen is a person were to lose a finger, or a hand, with this?"
Seppun Dawei
Stag Clan * Bushi * Quiet * O-Iemoto * Experienced
Status 2.0, Glory 2.0, Reputation 4.5
In village: wears sturdy clothes; carries bronze sword, knife, often a piece of wood he's carving, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
Out of village: wears ashigaru armor; carries bronze sword, yumi, quiver of arrows, traveling pack, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
"Speaking" * Thinking
Description from Dawn 1 * Current Description
Player based in Kerrville, Texas

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Wed May 27, 2020 5:49 am

Hanzou watched closely and practiced what he saw, though he was certainly behind the others in general understanding. He was fascinated by the various animal signs and seemed to focus on them.
Stranger ~ Shugenja ~ Water ~ Archer ~ Hunter ~ Healer ~ Spirit Talker ~ Small ~ Wary ~ Ennui

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Wed May 27, 2020 6:34 am

Seppun Dawei wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:27 am
Dawei signs "The Stag," and he emphasizes the antler-sign, "greet you." Or he means to.

Thing is, "greet" and "eat" look a lot alike.

And a question occurs to him.

"What would happen is a person were to lose a finger, or a hand, with this?"
Greet and eat may look similar in writing, but signing them is very different. Aono looks to Dawei, commenting, "That's very good, Dawei, and a great lead into addressing the different clans. Let's practice the signs for each one." And they did. They worked on learning motions for all of the clan names. The Scorpion and Spider signs were the most entertaining, though they laughed at each other making Unicorn horns on their foreheads. Aono considered Dawei's other question a moment before answering, "Usually it is okay and the general point of what is said gets across, but if they can't also use their mouth then things can be difficult. Jin still has difficulties with his signing being limited to one hand. But that's also because he speaks which let's one read his lips for words. So it really depends on the situation. Thankfully, most people don't have to rely on only their body language to communicate."
Hanzou wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:49 am
Hanzou watched closely and practiced what he saw, though he was certainly behind the others in general understanding. He was fascinated by the various animal signs and seemed to focus on them.
Now that they were discussing the clans and making their signs, Miuna sidled up beside Hanzou. She signed, "I like animals too," and Aono called, "Just ask Miuna about whatever you have interest in and she can show you the sign for it." Miuna made the sign for butterfly, curious if Hanzou would guess what it was.

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Wed May 27, 2020 6:43 am

"Hmm... making sure you get the right hand gesture for the type of question must be cause for some interesting moments, huh?" Miyako wondered aloud as she practiced the animal signs. "'Where is the mountain' is one thing, but in a more contemplative and philosophical setting 'why is the mountain' or some such could very well come up. Have you run into any strange or amusing questions being asked like that because of the mismatch in intent and what was signed?"
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Wed May 27, 2020 6:49 am

Shinjo Miuna wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:34 am
Miuna made the sign for butterfly, curious if Hanzou would guess what it was.
"Moth?" he asked. It looked like a bird, but he thought he saw that done differently.

Inga

Post by Inga » Wed May 27, 2020 8:25 am

Inga signed different words.

Swamp, forest, tree, flies, water
♧Shoji tribe ♧Bushi ♧Unlucky ♧Daredevil ♧Superstitious ♧Fortune Teller ♧Haunted ♧ Very Unfortunate
♧Glory: 1 ♧Reputation: Untrustworthy ♧Status:1

Equipment: Bow, quiver, Light armor, Finger of Jade, Tanto,

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Wed May 27, 2020 8:29 am

Miyako wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:43 am
"Hmm... making sure you get the right hand gesture for the type of question must be cause for some interesting moments, huh?" Miyako wondered aloud as she practiced the animal signs. "'Where is the mountain' is one thing, but in a more contemplative and philosophical setting 'why is the mountain' or some such could very well come up. Have you run into any strange or amusing questions being asked like that because of the mismatch in intent and what was signed?"
Aono laughed. "There have definitely been some rather comically misinterpreted signs. There are quite a few that are close in execution but vastly different in meaning. Thats why it's so important to consider context as well to help you. There was one time when Miuna was very little that she was trying to ask me to play with her, but she kept confusing the signs for 'Play' and 'Yellow'. She kept getting so frustrated because I was signing "Yellow what?". Which as you can imagine was very confusing for us both." She chuckled, seeing the memory in her mind's eye.
Hanzou wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:49 am
Shinjo Miuna wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:34 am
Miuna made the sign for butterfly, curious if Hanzou would guess what it was.
"Moth?" he asked. It looked like a bird, but he thought he saw that done differently.
"Close enough!" Aono called out to him. Miuna smiled and made the symbol for Scorpion, which should be easy enough to interpret. She was just glad to be spending time with him, even if they weren't talking in depth. She studied him, appreciating the contrast of his dark hair and green eyes. Is this how people see me? She wondered.
Inga wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:25 am
Inga signed different words.

Swamp, forest, tree, flies, water
Aono came by and placed her hand upon Inga's shoulder. "Those are very good! You've got them down nicely." She smiled at the woman reassuringly.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Wed May 27, 2020 8:36 am

Shinjo Miuna wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:24 am
Miuna stood and went to sit near Saruko, quietly watching her hand movements and gently making corrections when necessary. It wasn't often, though, as the Dragon woman learned quickly and efficiently. She smiled sweetly, catching the eye of the young Hanzou, delighted that he had turned up to this lesson after missing the first.
The perceptive woman noticed the glance and smile Miuna had in Hanzou's direction, so when Miuna's attention was returned to her again, Saruko signed (a little clumsily) love, her eyebrows raised to ask the silent question.

Theme 2Profile

Return to “The Camp”