Spider-Monkey (D5, EM)

Togashi Saruko

Spider-Monkey (D5, EM)

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon May 25, 2020 11:59 pm

Having picked up some of the hot breakfast from the cooks, Saruko carried two portions over to Reiko's tent. She had brought along some of her pieces of dried fruit as well, as an extra snack for the two of them.

"Good morning, Reiko!" the daimyo said cheerfully.
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Reiko

Re: Spider-Monkey (D5, EM)

Post by Reiko » Tue May 26, 2020 12:37 am

Reiko had moved to sit outside her tent when she woke up. This new camp was less cheery than the last, something about misty fogs and chilly...something.

We're on the edge of evil.

Then in the misty darkness came a voice. A cheerful, warm voice. Reiko blinked, trying to picture where the name came from, and finally a name clicked.

"Togashi Saruko-san."

Reiko smiled, rising carefully and bowing in the direction of the voice.

"I can't think of many people who could remain cheerful in these settings. How are you my friend?"
Spider Clan * Temporary Clan Champion * Reiko family Daimyo * Former Isawa Tribe * Shugenja * Prophet * Bride of Fu Leng * Fire * Bad (blood?) Eyesight * Well Educated * Experienced * Kami Speak * profile
Equipment: Diviner sticks, Yari and Ashigaru armour(when allowed), Walking Stick (bo), Jade, writing tools

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue May 26, 2020 12:40 am

"In times of darkness, we need bright lights even more, Reiko-san," the Monkey said cleverly to the Spider. Perhaps that was the role she would serve in this journey, being no sage, or shaman, or fighter.

"I brought you breakfast, thinking we could sit and talk, which we haven't been able to do much since this started. You seem so very tired."
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Tue May 26, 2020 1:27 am

"Perhaps you are right, it is getting darker now, and will get darker still before we reach our destination."

Reiko sat down carefully, motioning her friend to join her.

"Breakfast? Thank you! You saved me a long journey finding where the supply wagon is in this fog. It appears the realm of evil nor those controlling the wagons take into account the partially sighted" there was a chuckle, before a small frown.

"Is it that obvious? I...saw him again last night" there was a slight blush "Fu Leng."
Spider Clan * Temporary Clan Champion * Reiko family Daimyo * Former Isawa Tribe * Shugenja * Prophet * Bride of Fu Leng * Fire * Bad (blood?) Eyesight * Well Educated * Experienced * Kami Speak * profile
Equipment: Diviner sticks, Yari and Ashigaru armour(when allowed), Walking Stick (bo), Jade, writing tools

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue May 26, 2020 1:31 am

The details of Saruko's face were probably lost on Reiko, but it could be heard in her voice that she understood. She was one of the few who really understood what it was like to have a weird spiritual connection to someone, due to her innate talent as a medium. "He must feel your presence coming closer. I pray it gives him hope."

And that we won't fill him with false hope.

She passed the bowl of breakfast to Reiko's hands as they sat down. "I take it this is the only chance we'll have to help him?"

Theme 2Profile

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Tue May 26, 2020 3:23 am

"It is giving him hope. He knows now that we're coming to save him. I...didn't say it directly, just implied it and hoped that the realm didn't understand. But he's..." Reiko gripped the bowl tightly as she accepted it, closing her eyes "seeing him suffer so. We must save him. We must. This is our only chance, we cannot fail. Must not fail."

Reiko was usually calm, but for this rare moment she looked vulnerable

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue May 26, 2020 3:30 am

Saruko placed a comforting hand on Reiko's shoulder. "We have many talented people here along for this journey, Reiko-san. I have faith in them, and in you, to succeed."

For her, it was a reminder that she had much work ahead of her of keeping up everyone's hopes and morale.

"But we must also be prepared for many dangers ahead - that realm is insidious and cruel and it probably knows. We must act as if our enemy knows our moves and intentions."

Theme 2Profile

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Tue May 26, 2020 3:54 pm

Reiko nodded, placing her hand on Sarukos.

"Thank you. It's just...difficult to see the person you care dearly about being tortured in such manners. That he is strong enough to keep fighting shows the sheer will of the stars, I don't know that mortals could survive it let alone resist."

She took a moment to take a deep breath, closing her eyes and putting her other hand over her heart.

Keep fighting my love. We'll be there soon.

"I have done my best to ensure that everyone I've spoken with knows the dangers we face, as well as how to protect themselves as best they can. A number here were entirely unaware of the importance of Jade for example."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue May 26, 2020 8:48 pm

"It does seem so," she agreed, a touch disappointed. "I had thought that after leaving Great Mountain City that people would be aware of the dangers. Yet too many seem to think this is going to be just another hunt, or fight."

Theme 2Profile

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Tue May 26, 2020 8:53 pm

"I can understand some not knowing. Many in tribes still refuse the Stars after all. I would hope those who now follow the Stars are aware though. If there are any that don't understand, please inform them of the importance. Or point them to me, I do enjoy a good lecture" there was a chuckle and a smile "I can't tell a story like you can, but I can ensure the point gets across."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue May 26, 2020 11:11 pm

"It might be prudent to hold lessons about this. Lots of people gather around the campfires in the evening, so it's a good time to try to raise more awareness rather than waiting to stumble over those who don't know."

Since people were already teaching eachother other things, this seemed like a naturally good idea to her.

Theme 2Profile

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Wed May 27, 2020 2:18 am

"I worry that lecturing en masse that have come would look poor coming from me. After all, many have come because they have heard my tale, either directly or indirectly, and may wonder why their version of the story told did not mention Jade. Even though I made sure to mention it."

Reiko frowned thoughtfully.

"It may also be too late. I don't know how much Jade the supply wagons have. I...guess I had hoped that the elders and Stars that I conversed with would ensure the importance would trickle down and not be forgotten. A vain hope it seems."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Wed May 27, 2020 2:25 am

"Maybe we'll be lucky and find some more. Either for trade or perhaps an untouched mine. Maybe the Nezumi might be helpful in that regard."

As she hadn't yet had the time to speak with Hantei, she didn't want to stir up drama by mentioning the fact that Kinsen didn't have jade.

"Personally I managed to trade for three pieces before coming here as I still don't know how much one person might need to make it there and back again..."

Theme 2Profile

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Wed May 27, 2020 2:33 am

"The Nezumi may have access to some. From all that we've learnt, they seem to suffer no ill effects of being so close to the portal, so it would make sense they had some manner of protection. Perhaps large quantities of Jade is that protection. As for your Jade, how big are the pieces? I can tell you roughly how long they'll last you if you wish" Reiko held out a hand for the Jade.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Wed May 27, 2020 3:08 am

"It's not that. They're roughly the size of my biggest finger. Give or take. My concern is more that we don't know how far the corruption has spread. Or will spread." Or how fast. Saruko thought.

"I'm worried about the losses we might have, before we even reach our destination."

Theme 2Profile

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Wed May 27, 2020 4:36 pm

"I cannot see the size of your biggest finger my friend" Reiko said with a small chuckle "my eyesight isn't what it used to be, but if it is around average sized, then that should protect you for roughly seven days per finger-length piece of jade. As for the corruption spreading, that I cannot say for certain either. It does not seem to be spreading fast at least, otherwise far more of these lands would have already succumb to its touch."

There was a brief pause, before she quietly added "I worry for that as well. All we can do is continue to advise the severity of the situation, and hope the Stars will echo this. I will meet with the Swift Star, she is the more level-headed and sensible of the Stars with us. I trust her."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Wed May 27, 2020 10:51 pm

"I feel it becomes more important to stress the severity of the situation the further we travel. Too many have joined out of a sense of... fun? I can't quite understand it myself." Saruko shook her head. Sure, she was providing fun and entertainment, but that was because she believed in keeping up the good spirits of the people here - not because this was a pleasure trip.

She gave Reiko a curious look over the remark about the Stars. "You don't trust the other?"

Theme 2Profile

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Thu May 28, 2020 2:37 am

"I would hope people understand the severity of it, but so few have come prepared that it seems that hope is gone" Reiko shook her head "I am annoyed at all the Stars ill preparing their kin. They had no excuse. I may have stressed it less seriously with the Flower Star due to her sensitivity but they should all have known to tell others. And there was little excuse after the evening meeting before we left."

She sighed, then peered at her friend again.

"As for Hantei....No, I do not trust him. He is less honest than he appears, and more arrogant than the other stars combined. I was happy to see some of the stars accompany us on this venture, but...I know why the Swift Star is here, she is a compassionate soul and cares deeply for her brother. I do not see the same of him."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Thu May 28, 2020 2:43 am

"It could be he feels a sense of duty, as he failed to save his brother the first time," Saruko suggested thoughtfully, as she tried to consider all options. "But yes, I'm likewise concerned about the lack of preparations for some. At least all the Dragon are prepared and protected."

There had been some bumps in the road there, but she had made sure they were prepared before they left Great Mountain City. She had that responsibility to her kin.

Theme 2Profile

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Thu May 28, 2020 3:20 am

"From what I have learnt from Fu Leng, it wasn't failing to save him that caused this" Reiko said, a rare look of anger on the woman's face "Hantei threw Fu Leng further from the rest on purpose. He might not have meant what has happened to have happened, but where he landed was no accident."

Return to “The Camp”