Campfire Tales (D5, LE. Open)

Seppun Dawei

Re: Campfire Tales (D5, LE. Open)

Post by Seppun Dawei » Wed May 27, 2020 7:43 pm

"I've known more than a few people like that," Dawei puts in.

"Story's usually not so good about them, though."
Seppun Dawei
Stag Clan * Bushi * Quiet * O-Iemoto * Experienced
Status 2.0, Glory 2.0, Reputation 4.5
In village: wears sturdy clothes; carries bronze sword, knife, often a piece of wood he's carving, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
Out of village: wears ashigaru armor; carries bronze sword, yumi, quiver of arrows, traveling pack, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
"Speaking" * Thinking
Description from Dawn 1 * Current Description
Player based in Kerrville, Texas

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Wed May 27, 2020 11:16 pm

"Asking questions is good, but sometimes we need to ask the right questions. Otherwise we don't get the right answers." She had learned that over the years with much trial and error.
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Wed May 27, 2020 11:54 pm

"That is a problem I can very much relate to." Chisei said with a smile and a sigh. "Whether of people, spirits, or just the world. Asking the right question might not get you the answer you want, but asking the wrong question certainly won't."

He frowned thoughtfully. "Although I expect there have been discoveries made from... hmmm. I can't say the wrong question, not exactly. But asking a question that was a poor fit for the answer they wanted, but a good fit for another. I'm sure it's happened."
Seppun * Former Isawa * Shugenja * Philosopher * Husbando
Carries: Scroll case, scrolls. Jade.

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Wed May 27, 2020 11:58 pm

The Crane contingent listened to the tale while Jigutsuji wrote in his journal.
Song of the Fallen Star
Author: Doji Jigutsuji

Days 1 and 2

We leave on the morrow, Nanzi-ue has been busy with organizing the campaign with the other leaders including Reiko-ue, Shinjo-ue, and Hantei-ue. There is a great number of travelers that have come from these other tribes of the Protected Lands, all working for a singular mission under the banner of his glorious eminence, Emperor Shiba, first of his name, the Grand Phoenix and Favored Son of Heaven.

Long may he reign.

Nanzi-ue has made sure that all within the Crane are aware of and should be utilizing this stone called Jade to protect ourselves from the corruption of Jigoku. Blessed be the husband of Doji-ue, and this one prays that our journey begins well.

The next day of travel was hard but our spirits are high. Oh, and there was a strange shaman that talked to ghosts, but such seems unnatural yet her unique nature bears mentioning. I will not name her as it seems offensive in her ways and we must always obey Courtesy. This one does not find the idea of hungry ghosts a pleasant thing to contemplate.

Day 3 and 4

The journey has been hard, but not harder than shepherding the goats, and much more glamorous by half. There was some mention of a minor bandit attack, but nothing that really needed the interests of the Crane. Such barbarism all around us, it is strange to see how far we have come since Nanzi-ue invited our tribe into the clan… it has only been a few years and I can see no reason to return to that old life.

We march to save a God, we have gathered peoples all across the Empire and lesser tribes, all under one glorious banner. This seems unheard of before the coming of the Gods that walk as men do, before the rise of Emperor Shiba, the Grand Phoenix, long may he reign.

I listened to the master storytelling of Togashi Saruko, daimyo of the Dragon; her tales gladdened my heart and gave me pause. It outshone all other tales, and they need be mentioned, but they were passable.

The map says more hard roads tomorrow, my feet do not relish it, but Duty demands it.

Day 5

A swamp? I have consulted the maps several times and there was no mention of a swamp this far north and yet here we are. It has a sinister miasma to it, and I do not care for it. It is cold and the chill saps at my bones, this is evil. There is an evil here and I must agree with Nanzi-ue that we must be vigilant.

Despite the alien terrain the spirits seem high in the camp, it is to be expected when one serves under the banner of Emperor Shiba, first of his name, the bringer of Truth; long may he reign. Today we met with some tribeswomen of the Seidou, they were good, hearty people, ignorant of the truths within grasp but good people. Perhaps they will see the shining light of Doji-ue’s truth, but only if they prove worthy.

Yet I must ponder how so many could not see this swamp, did it spring up over night? What dark sorcery wished it into being? Even now this author can hear faint whispers on the wind. Or maybe it is just a trick of the vermin and things that live in the dark places.

Bravely, Nanzi-ue and Nanzi Jongwun went hunting with Hantei-ue and I am told they spoke long on the subjects that would be of interest to Doji-ue. I have been sworn to keep such words out of my writings and relay them in person if needed, but they bode well for the future our Clans and Empire.

Tomorrow we march and hopefully put this bloody swamp behind us.

Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace
Supporting Staff: Doji Jigutsuji, Nanzi Jongwun, Raven on shoulder

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Thu May 28, 2020 12:03 am

Seppun Chisei wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:54 pm
"That is a problem I can very much relate to." Chisei said with a smile and a sigh. "Whether of people, spirits, or just the world. Asking the right question might not get you the answer you want, but asking the wrong question certainly won't."

He frowned thoughtfully. "Although I expect there have been discoveries made from... hmmm. I can't say the wrong question, not exactly. But asking a question that was a poor fit for the answer they wanted, but a good fit for another. I'm sure it's happened."
"Oh, it is absolutely better to ask questions than to not question at all!" she agreed, face and tone bright as she nodded. "Even if they are the wrong questions. A wrong answer can hold wisdom too, if you look close enough."

"I find it's often harder to ask the right questions than getting the right answers though."
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Thu May 28, 2020 2:28 am

"Or sometimes to ask questions at all." Chisei flashed a smile.

He tilted his head, looking at her, and at the other storytellers. "May I ask, how did you learn these stories?"
Seppun * Former Isawa * Shugenja * Philosopher * Husbando
Carries: Scroll case, scrolls. Jade.

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Thu May 28, 2020 2:51 am

"Learn p'shaw, the Dragon Queen was born with the stories in her soul," Nanzi interjected.
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Thu May 28, 2020 2:58 am

"I'm flattered you think so, but no, I wasn't born with knowledge of stories," Saruko laughed. "I learned from the other storytellers of my tribe, of the elders, of my father and uncles... and from those who travelled outside our tribe to trade."

Some of it she made up too, but she wouldn't admit that.

Theme 2Profile

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Thu May 28, 2020 3:01 am

"The histories will say otherwise, she was an enchanting mistress of tales... with stories in her soul and stars in her eyes. The stories she told became real and made the Empire better for it," the Crane mused.

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Thu May 28, 2020 3:03 am

Ignoring Nanzi's comment with gusto, Ayumu answered Chinsei:

"Mine is heavily inspired by events that actually happened. I've merged and streamlined characters, cut redundancies and added a great deal of flourish, but, in spirit, that's a true story.

I wonder if, at their heart, not all stories are based on something true, that still remain after generations and generations of imaginative embellishment."
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Thu May 28, 2020 3:06 am

The... odd praise made her feel vaguely uncomfortable, and she fell silent, disguising her thoughts by drinking some more of the berrywine.

Theme 2Profile

Doji Kaze

Post by Doji Kaze » Thu May 28, 2020 3:08 am

A soft rasp echoes from the darkness at the edge of the fire.

"When darkness appears
The cool of night brings sad stars
Far from hearth and home.

But Phoenix and Dragon's fire
Brings us the warmth of true words."

Poetry roll=12. Kaze is new.
* Crane Clan * ex-Chinsei * Very, Very Quiet * Reformed Wild Man of the Woods * In Love With Words *

Equipment: Yari, Nage-yari, Yumi, Ashiguru armor, some rope, a jade pendant, and a shovel.

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Thu May 28, 2020 3:10 am

Togashi Saruko wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:06 am
The... odd praise made her feel vaguely uncomfortable, and she fell silent, disguising her thoughts by drinking some more of the berrywine.
He sighed, she would need to accept her role one day but he did not press.

"Kaze-kun, well said, please join us by the fire," he said to the wild man poet.

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Thu May 28, 2020 3:10 am

Dawei's hands pause in their work of whittling. His head turns towards the voice, which he recognizes.

He recognizes the attempt at art as an attempt at art, and he nods in respect to it.
Seppun Dawei
Stag Clan * Bushi * Quiet * O-Iemoto * Experienced
Status 2.0, Glory 2.0, Reputation 4.5
In village: wears sturdy clothes; carries bronze sword, knife, often a piece of wood he's carving, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
Out of village: wears ashigaru armor; carries bronze sword, yumi, quiver of arrows, traveling pack, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
"Speaking" * Thinking
Description from Dawn 1 * Current Description
Player based in Kerrville, Texas

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Thu May 28, 2020 3:23 am

Reiko moved over to sit near her Dragon friend, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.
Spider Clan * Temporary Clan Champion * Reiko family Daimyo * Former Isawa Tribe * Shugenja * Prophet * Bride of Fu Leng * Fire * Bad (blood?) Eyesight * Well Educated * Experienced * Kami Speak * profile
Equipment: Diviner sticks, Yari and Ashigaru armour(when allowed), Walking Stick (bo), Jade, writing tools

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Thu May 28, 2020 3:27 am

Poetry made her light up again, a sudden joy that someone else had been learning the Kami's poetry. "That was wonderful!" Sure, it wasn't perfect, but she enjoyed it nonetheless.

Since Kaze had started a theme, she decided to follow what he had started, and give some feel of her own sentiments.

"The campfire's warmth
Brightened by words true and false -
Like moths to a flame

May truth be like fireflies
May the lies fall into ash."

------

D5 LE Artisan: Poetry/Awareness. 1 raise. TN 20: 5d10o10k4 36

Theme 2Profile

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Thu May 28, 2020 3:29 am

"Good words."

Nanzi asked with mild confusion, "Why does Togashi-ue fin praise so outputting, should we not praise one for things well done?"

"It seems only proper."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Thu May 28, 2020 3:32 am

"Praise is praise," she said neutrally, letting those words be intepreted as people would like.

"But I would rather be remembered for who I am. Not what others want me to be remembered as."

Theme 2Profile

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Thu May 28, 2020 3:34 am

"We have little choice in how those in the future choose to remember us. We can only hope they remember our deeds in the light we intended them to be" Reiko commented idly.
Spider Clan * Temporary Clan Champion * Reiko family Daimyo * Former Isawa Tribe * Shugenja * Prophet * Bride of Fu Leng * Fire * Bad (blood?) Eyesight * Well Educated * Experienced * Kami Speak * profile
Equipment: Diviner sticks, Yari and Ashigaru armour(when allowed), Walking Stick (bo), Jade, writing tools

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Thu May 28, 2020 3:37 am

Togashi Saruko wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:32 am
"Praise is praise," she said neutrally, letting those words be intepreted as people would like.

"But I would rather be remembered for who I am. Not what others want me to be remembered as."
"And who is Togashi-ue? We do not get to control the image we become when we pass and those of us paired with the Kami even less so, you are mythic even if you choose not to be," he said plainly but with compassion.

"Our father is the Moon, our Mother is the Sun... the story is already written. I see it may not be one you want but this is so."

Return to “The Camp”