[Day 3, Late Morning] The Exercise of Vital Powers (Expecting)

Jiyo Sora

Re: [Day 3, Late Morning] The Exercise of Vital Powers (Expecting)

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon May 25, 2020 4:20 pm

"It's... both different from and better than I expected, to be honest. A lot of that is being trusted. He doesn't give me orders, he gives me options, so that's appreciated. And all the former Ayakashi around him help keep things... lively. Plus, he's not as... pushy as some of his siblings, although I expect a follower of Togashi can well appreciate that."

A pause.

"And the Dragon Clan? How are you finding your duties there?"
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Wu

Post by Wu » Tue May 26, 2020 4:49 am

''There is a lot to do and figure out'' he replied honestly ''Lord Togashi provides wisdom but he is fairly hands off. I had to learn while doing...but things are good for the moment...''

For the moment he tought. The spearman had some reservations about certain aspects of the clan but this was not the time for that.
Dragon Clan - Daimyo of the Wu - Black sheep of the Isawa tribe - Bushi - Spearman - Sage - Enlightened - Experienced
Equipment : In town: Ryu-yari, sturdy clothing. Outside : bronze and leather armor, Ryu-yari, Nage-Yari, Yumi

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue May 26, 2020 5:29 am

"Sounds like a concern there. Does he listen to your concerns?"
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

Wu

Post by Wu » Tue May 26, 2020 5:36 am

''He would listen if I could give structure to these concerns.'' he said honestly ''It is like catching a shadow from the corner of your eye...you might suspect something is there but you cannot be certain.''

He frowned

''But for now we are doing good work, helping villagers without forcing ourselves upon them. Growth is slow but I feel it will give us stronger roots.''
Dragon Clan - Daimyo of the Wu - Black sheep of the Isawa tribe - Bushi - Spearman - Sage - Enlightened - Experienced
Equipment : In town: Ryu-yari, sturdy clothing. Outside : bronze and leather armor, Ryu-yari, Nage-Yari, Yumi

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue May 26, 2020 5:44 am

"Beginnings are a delicate time. I'm glad the Dragon understand that. But... I'm curious about your worries."

Wu

Post by Wu » Tue May 26, 2020 6:00 am

Wu was silent for a good moment

''There is the familiar and the different'' he began ''The different is often pushed away while the familiar is reinforced as the familiar brings comfort and security while the different may bring change and uncertainty. It is not to say, however, that the different is more dangerous then the familiar. It is just that the familiar is known and has been gotten used to...it is not questionned and often praised as virtue, pushing the different away.''

He paused

''The Kami were different, I believe that they can do great good in this world...but I worry that we may be building a new familiar, one that will not be challenged, one that will be praise...even is unforseen evils are birthed by it.''

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue May 26, 2020 6:15 am

"Ah, you fear that they will create a static order that is not meant to change?"

Wu

Post by Wu » Tue May 26, 2020 6:20 am

''Exactly that''' he nodded

''The Kami, with a few exceptions seems willing to remake their homes here. Alas Tengoku is unchanging while Ningen-do consistently is.'' he took a deep breath ''Lady Doji is the one that unsettles me the most.''

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue May 26, 2020 6:35 am

"She IS a pain in the ass, isn't she?"

He chuckled.

"Five years ago, i had a remarkably frustrating conversation with her. It was like... no, it wasn't like talking to a wall, because a wall doesn't hide behind politeness. You'll be happy to know that Yuzuru's influence on the Imperial culture is providing a bit of a counterweight... Shiba's court is thus far more Ayakashi than Doji."

A shrug.

"Of course, I swore fealty to Shiba because he seemed to understand that Ningen-Do is not Tengoku, and things will be different here."

Wu

Post by Wu » Tue May 26, 2020 7:37 am

He could not help but laugh at that

''I do hope so...thought I am wary of anyone gaining to much say in what is to be.'' he sighed ''Have you read Nanzi's treaty about the divine blade?''

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue May 26, 2020 7:39 am

"I try to pay as little attention to that one as possible. That way we can coexist without trying to murder one another."

Wu

Post by Wu » Tue May 26, 2020 7:41 am

He nods ''I understant the sentiment, but ignorance is a weakness.'' he took a look at his bag

''I believe I have it written down with me. Care to take a look?''

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue May 26, 2020 7:43 am

"This should be good... that one is a firm believer in people knowing their place, now that he's secured his."

Wu

Post by Wu » Tue May 26, 2020 7:46 am

''He certainly seeks to...why else wear seven kimonos at once?''

Wu reached into his bag for the scroll of parchment and gave it to Sora
Nanzi wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:26 am
Preface to the Divine Blade

On the sacred hill of the Seppun this humble samurai witnessed the birth of the divine art of steel, the perfection that is superb art of the Challenge, the Focus, and the Strike. It is by mastery of the divine form of Iaijutsu that Emperor Shiba earned the favor of the Heavens and proved his right to rule and guide our peoples to the future.

This is the highest aspiration of the sword, the genteel and honorable art of the duel.

The Challenge

There is no honor in simply brawling like a thug, even to settle differences we must be better than the society that came before. A Challenge must be clear and orderly, it must be made with Honor in the heart and Sincerity in the soul. It is not a frivolous thing to make a Challenge, it is only for matters that are of grave importance to the samurai, to their kin, and to their clan.

A samurai must be clear in their intent, the Challenge must be specific and it should announce the why of it, and it is not a tool to be used to deflect punishment but only to seek justice and amend the Honor of the aggrieved party. If a judgment is to be passed one cannot challenge the judgment, but they can challenge the testimony made in such judgment if they contest the veracity of the words.

Once a Challenge is given, a response must be given, samurai honors their word so there can be recourse but to see it through. The Challenged can accept they are wrong and bow to the will of the Challenger or they can accept the Challenge and set a time to resolve the matter through the Divine Art. With the approval of their senior, and with an official of position they can move to the sacred duel.

The Focus

A sacred duel does not need sacred ground, but it is preferred. Heaven is always watching though and thus will know the truth of things if one wishes to act without Honor. The sword is the weapon of the duel, it is the arbiter of justice with matters of Honor between civilized samurai. Most duels should be settled with a single cut, there is no need for continued butchery and if the duel must continue beyond the first strike then the matter is grave indeed and both parties have accepted that only the life of the other can satisfy the demands of Honor.

The Divine Art should spare needless bloodshed, but the demands of Honor and one’s kin are greater than their life and if they must be satisfied then so be it. Before blades are drawn, there is one final chance for the Challenged to accept they are in error and bow to the Challenger, once blades are drawn then only Heaven can decide. To bow is not an act of cowardice but Courage and Honor to accept either a superior foe or to see that they have erred and mend the rift that has formed.

The Strike

This is the most straight forward of all, the singular strike. The blade is drawn and then continued into a strike, and justice will favor the more just party. Even so, Heaven supports those who strive for perfection and seek to emulate the divine ways of her honored Children. Thus, we must hone our talent with the blade, master the draw and strike so we can better be instruments of Heaven’s will.

The strike is not mortal, it should draw blood, but a samurai should be able to recover from such a blow with minimal attention of a healer. The first to draw blood, proves their intentions were just and Heaven favors them, and there can be no further challenges on this subject. One cannot challenge the outcome of the duel, that is an insult to the Heavens and to the Divine Son, whose will is first and foremost.

With the duel resolved, assuming it is not a grave matter, the participants should depart in peace and Honor. If one has fallen, they should be given all due honors and it is the burden of the victor to see that all things are done properly or insult their ancestors and the Heavens with their crass lack of etiquette.

The sacred duel has ended, the Heavens have spoken.

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue May 26, 2020 7:54 am

Sora scanned it, his lips moving at times.

"What a load of crap. This would elevate anyone who's fast on the draw with a sword above people who've never picked one up."

Wu

Post by Wu » Tue May 26, 2020 8:43 am

''I agree...there are many objections to be had.'' he rolled the parchment back ''I am planning to write a response to it...even if it is drowned by his clan at least there will be a known objection to it.''

The dragon folded his arms together

''I cannot help but think this heralds the establishment of social classes in society''

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue May 26, 2020 8:46 am

"Well, Doji and her husband value a strong caste system. So, I think, does Akodo. You may recall that five years ago, I spoke out against it quite strenuously. As the guardian of the Emperor's children, I intend to continue to do so."

Wu

Post by Wu » Tue May 26, 2020 8:50 am

''It is a good thing that the heirs to the throne have such a good influence on their side...I cannot believe how arrogant some people got in so little time.''

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Tue May 26, 2020 8:54 am

"Oh, some were like that well before, they just have a measure of power now. But the Kami's children give me a measure of hope, because, well... they''re half human, and have no memory of Tengoku."

Wu

Post by Wu » Tue May 26, 2020 9:01 am

''Power does not corrupt, I am told, It only reveals'' he shook his head

''Still, priviledge and power are veils not easy to see through. I can only hope you live a very long life and find other good tutors for the children. I am sure there are other who could help created a more just society then one with caste.''

Return to “The Forest”