[Day 3, Late Morning] The Exercise of Vital Powers (Expecting)

Jiyo Sora

[Day 3, Late Morning] The Exercise of Vital Powers (Expecting)

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 24, 2020 3:55 am

No two ways about it, they were going to be getting into some scraps in the days ahead.

So Sora of the Jiyo Family, Imperial Babysitter and Occasional "Diplomat to Tyrants" brought his dagger-axe out and went looking for a place to practice.
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Wu

Re: [Day 3, Late Morning] The Exercise of Vital Powers (Expecting)

Post by Wu » Sun May 24, 2020 4:42 am

Most of the forest was dense and wild. Moving through the undergrowth was often difficult but, being at the feet of a notable mountain range, the forest held a few small rocky plateaus.

On one such small plateau was Wu.

The dragon was sharpening and polishing his Ryu-yari.
Dragon Clan - Daimyo of the Wu - Black sheep of the Isawa tribe - Bushi - Spearman - Sage - Enlightened - Experienced
Equipment : In town: Ryu-yari, sturdy clothing. Outside : bronze and leather armor, Ryu-yari, Nage-Yari, Yumi

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 24, 2020 4:53 am

Sora paused, taking stock of the Dragon.

He and Wu hadn't interacted all that much at the Tournament, but the man had always impressed him favorably enough- and like most of Togashi's followers, Sora found him refreshingly uncomplicated, no matter what others tried to say about their being confusing.

"There room up there for two? I need to give this thing a few swings again before it turns out I need it..."
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

Wu

Post by Wu » Sun May 24, 2020 5:06 am

Wu raised his head, looking at the incoming man. He had changed but Wu recognised him easily enough.

''You are Sora of the Hikaru, yes?'' he replied with a smile and gave an nod ''There is certainly enough room here for us both''
Dragon Clan - Daimyo of the Wu - Black sheep of the Isawa tribe - Bushi - Spearman - Sage - Enlightened - Experienced
Equipment : In town: Ryu-yari, sturdy clothing. Outside : bronze and leather armor, Ryu-yari, Nage-Yari, Yumi

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 24, 2020 5:09 am

He grinned in reply.

"Very good, Wu of the Dragon Clan. I'll try not to let this clumsy thing get out of control."

A dagger-axe was a more crude implement than a Ryu-yari, and Sora examined the other weapon with interest as he started warming up.

"Is that bronze?"

Wu

Post by Wu » Sun May 24, 2020 5:18 am

''Yes it is'' he confirmed as he raised the spear head into the light ''I did not have the opportunity to forge one such spear out of steel yet...even if as been five years since I made this one.''

Wu took a good look at the odd polearm the imperial was carrying with him

''You have quite an interesting weapon.''

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 24, 2020 5:25 am

"The dagger-axe? Kind of you to say so. It's easy to amke- you can use stone for the head- but there are limitations. It's no good for thrusting, so you sacrifice a lot of its reach that way- plus, while it works all right for a warrior with plnety of room to swing it, it eats up a lot of space if you have allies around you."

He chuckled.

"I keep meaning to see if I can find a smith to make something a little more flexible, but what with one thing and another..."

Wu

Post by Wu » Sun May 24, 2020 5:37 am

Wu looked at the design of the 'dagger-axe' with interest

''If it could thrust, it could be a very dangerous weapon on the battlefield.'' he stroked his chin ''I am handy in a forge...if you have the materials we may find the time to forge it out of metal. Althought in these conditions bronze might be the only option for now.''

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 24, 2020 5:39 am

"I was thinking the haft could be shortened- because with the option of a point, the functional reach would be increased... something like your spear there, but with a cutting edge?"

He shrugged.

"I confess, I also just want to come up with a weapon that doesn't require quite as much brute strength. Something I can teach people to use without too much fuss about if they can get enough force on their swing..."

Wu

Post by Wu » Sun May 24, 2020 6:01 am

Wu smiled and raised an eyebrow

''There is no perfect weapon my friend. The simplest weapon to use relative to it's strength will always be the spear...a weapon like your is powerful but that power will always require great strength and a certain degree of training.''

Wu looked at the dagger axe again

''Making this out of bronze or steel can help to enable a good thrust potential, especially with a counter-weight at the end...could I handle it to get a feel?''

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 24, 2020 6:20 am

"By all means. As I said, I was thinking something shorte,r once we had a point on it, but leave a cutting edge for draw-cuts, you know? Or to let someone really take a swing if they have the room and the muscle for it."

Wu

Post by Wu » Sun May 24, 2020 10:19 am

Wu rose to take hold of the odd weapon, took a few steps away and began practicing strikes.

''The weight is odd...but that might just be the material.'' A few more jabs were made before the weapon was handed back

''If I was to make this out of steel or bronze...I would keep it long and add a pike in the front. Like a spear but with the dagger-axe's side blade.''

He pointed to that end

''If used like a spear this blade could be used to block weapons, trip enemies or pin them. I don't think you need to shorten the shaft...just learn to use it differently.''

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Sun May 24, 2020 11:22 am

"Ah, but as it is, it works well enough for me- my concern is for, let us say, a variety of students..."

Wu

Post by Wu » Mon May 25, 2020 1:33 am

''Unless you plan to train one armed guards...'' Wu began ''I do not see the problem. While strength is needed, it can be cultivated. The training might be more difficult but your students will just become better for it.''

He smiles

''Sometimes the right way is not about making something easier. Sometimes the right way is helping other become stronger so they can rise to the challenge.''

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon May 25, 2020 3:51 am

"Ah, but there is strength and then there's strength- I have a student who is sixteen and will be spending most of her time learning the cultural things that Yuzuru is crafting... but I would also have her not be wholly helpless in a fight."

Wu

Post by Wu » Mon May 25, 2020 7:37 am

''One's strength is always one's weakness and one's weakness is always one's strength.'' Wu commented looking serious

''I have my own students so I understand what you are going for...If she goes towards culture it might be possible she might walk another path then that of the warrior or not that of a dedicated one.'' he sighed ''Having a shorter staff will not change much aside from having to relearn to use it with that length. I do not see why this weapon could not be used in the hand of your student, even if she get training somewhere else.''

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon May 25, 2020 7:40 am

He chuckled.

"Low ceilings, mostly. And me being the one doing the teaching."

Wu

Post by Wu » Mon May 25, 2020 7:48 am

''Polearms are great battlefield weapons but I understand the difficulty of using them in close quarters.'' he replied with a nod ''More the reason to keep a long shaft and allow for a thrusting blade.''

He smiled

''No one starts a good teacher...you'll improve along with your students''

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Mon May 25, 2020 9:18 am

"So far, I'd say I've learned more than they have-which is to say, I agree."

Wu

Post by Wu » Mon May 25, 2020 9:56 am

Wu looked pensive for a moment

''So, how is life serving the Emperor?''

Return to “The Forest”