(D3, LM) Early patrol

Jiyo Ayumu

Re: (D3, LM) Early patrol

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Wed May 27, 2020 1:32 am

"As individuals, I don't think it changes much. Maybe there's a bit more of an emphases on certain professions, like warriors, artists, high-end craftsmen and the clergy. But we still have hunters, gatherers, farmers, builders, merchants and so on.

But taken as a whole, the clan operates on a much greater scope than a tribe.

The tribe is an entity whose primary goal is survival. It tries to remain whole in spite of the hardships of the world – bad weather, bandits, diseases, etc. – and devotes pretty much all of its energy to achieving that objective.

The clan on the other end is big enough and organized enough that it has grown beyond mere survival. Sure, it still does spend a lot of its resources simply to persist, but it has enough left that it can plan further ahead, and works on things that will only improve its existence after years or even decades of investment.

I think the fortress of the Seidou is a good example of that. Carving the rock must have taken years and years of hard work. But now they have a home that even the most torrential of rains cannot destroy."
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Wed May 27, 2020 10:31 pm

"I suppose... but I can't imagine living rooted in place like that."

Ryoko sighed. "I suppose that may be our eventual fate, however - if these clans take all our pastures."

With a sorrowful smile, she added, "I shouldn't be so morose. The future is never certain, ne?"
Takemori :: Master of Ceremonies :: Voice :: Horned Girl :: Music Lover :: Jealous
Resources: Twin Tonfa, Dai-Tsuchi, Morin Khuuru, Jade-Flower Glove, Tago the drummer.
Profile :: Themes

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Wed May 27, 2020 11:02 pm

"Clashes between farmers and shepherds are not something the Kami brought in, though I concede their support has tipped the scale in favor of the former.

If you're worried about being locked in one place and the land becoming nothing but a succession of closed fields, may I suggest you talk to Lady Shinjo or one of her followers? She isn't fond of fences either.

In a way, the verbal conflict between her and her brothers on that subject has replaced the day-to-day conflict between tenants of these two ways of life. It has its upsides and its downsides, but it does involve less physical violence.

Cause sometimes, it's easier to convince a god than a mob of angry farmers."
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Thu May 28, 2020 12:44 am

"While true... the lands we travel were not too heavily inhabited before... I don't know how long that will remain the case, if people are truly building these stone houses and fences wherever they go."

Ryoko sighed.

"I think we will have to negotiate something, before all is said and done... I just want to make sure my tribe doesn't lose... us. The things that make us what we are.
Takemori :: Master of Ceremonies :: Voice :: Horned Girl :: Music Lover :: Jealous
Resources: Twin Tonfa, Dai-Tsuchi, Morin Khuuru, Jade-Flower Glove, Tago the drummer.

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Thu May 28, 2020 1:02 am

Ayumu pondered the small horned-one words for a short moment before asking:

"Do you know how to write Ongaku no Ryoko?"

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Thu May 28, 2020 2:02 am

"No."

She furrowed her brow. "Should I?

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Thu May 28, 2020 2:41 am

"Maybe. Writing has a magic to it. Words, once transposed into a physical medium, remain, and remain unchanged, as long as the thing they were engraved on persists.

If you don't want to take any risk, I feel like you should record the tales of your tribe as it is now that way. Then, whatever happens, their memory will live on.

Best case scenario, in fifty years you'll use those records to refresh your mind before retelling those tales to your grandchildren.

And if the worst was to come... As long as one copy of those tales remains, your tribe won't even been forgotten."

Half-smile.

"Less dramatically, that's also a political move. Show that you are open to change on some points, like literacy, so it's easier to stand your ground on the important ones."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Thu May 28, 2020 6:48 am

"I guess... I don't know where we'd fit them. We'd have to make another wagon for the caravan just for words. It seems like extra weight."

Ryoko puzzled over the idea in silence. "Maybe someone could write it down for us."

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Thu May 28, 2020 2:42 pm

"You said your tribe passes every year through the same spots. You could have most of your books safely stored in friendly immobile libraries there. Just carry the most important, drop those you've written or acquired on your travels when you're passing by one, have your best storytellers train in part in those places so they can retrieve and memorize stories from the places more easily.

I think Shiba could be persuaded to let you have such a relay on imperial lands for example, if it's for the good of knowledge.

Actually, you could even weaponize the mobility of your tribe as a way of passing around things through his empire. His word for example.

In general, I think there is a way to present the traditions of your tribe not only as something that is not to be discarded, but as something which should be actively preserved. You and yours have strengths that may benefit the empire as they are now. You just need to convince the Kami of that.

As for writing things down, I could help you with that. Could even teach you how to, but that is a long process, and I'm not sure we'll have time for that as a side activity. And there are a lot of better teachers than me through the empire."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Thu May 28, 2020 10:23 pm

"Well... they are interesting thoughts..."

She frowned in thought, and added, "It will be change, either way... but maybe we can at least avoid losing it all..."

A soft sigh, and then her stomach growled, noisily, prompted her to blush a little.

"I think perhaps I've put off breakfast a little too long. It was nice talking to you, Ayumu."

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Thu May 28, 2020 10:31 pm

"Oh. Sorry. Got lost in the moment and haven't noticed so much time had passed. Wouldn't want to impose. And I'm technically slacking on my duty atop of that.

I should really let you go and proceed. Good day Ongaku no Ryoko.

And good luck."

Ongaku no Ryoko

Post by Ongaku no Ryoko » Thu May 28, 2020 11:26 pm

"Thank you, Ayumu. I hope to speak with you again some time on this journey."

She darted in to give him a short hug, and then headed away, toward the camp, seemingly thinking nothing of what she had just done.

/exit unless stopped.

Return to “The Forest”