[D3-EM]The perfect stick(open)

Ryoshun Mai

[D3-EM]The perfect stick(open)

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Fri May 22, 2020 4:23 pm

Looking a bit tired, Mai began looking for the perfect branch for her next project. She needed a small segment perhaps a foot long. This time, however, the priority was on straightness. The ideal width begin a bit over mere two inches made the search easier.

As before any prospective candidate needed to be checked for burls, bore holes, and hints of tree diseases. Several branches rejected, Mai finally found a nice Magnolia tree.

The wood of a magnolia is hard despite being an evergreen. The end result would be a nice creamy white to go with the chosen shark teeth. All in all, an aesthetic as well as practical choice. Mai cut the young branch and her segment to length.
Ryoshun Family* Artisan * Cursed!
Status - 1.0, Reputation - What is Expected, Glory - 3.5
Wears/Carries:
Light Armor, Sturdy Clothing, tanto, yari, whetstone, Blacksmith's hammer, inherited carving knife, 8 shark teeth

Taochusu

Re: [D3-EM]The perfect stick(open)

Post by Taochusu » Fri May 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Following not too far behind, Taochusu tried to wave Mai down. "Hey. Probably shouldn't go off alone in these woods. Never know if there are dangers around," he says with a smile. "Mind if I keep you company?"
Wanderer • Large

Carries: light armor, dai tsuchi, guqin, yumi & arrows, small knife, hatchet, jade finger

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Fri May 22, 2020 5:47 pm

"Taochusu-san!" She had the weapon she made before traveling strapped to her back even though she didn't intend to use it.

"This one is planning on making a small knife with the rest of the shark teeth. Have you found any who favor staves or knives among our number yet? I would like to find new owners for these."
Wears/Carries:
Light Armor, Sturdy Clothing, tanto, yari, whetstone, Blacksmith's hammer, inherited carving knife, 8 shark teeth

Taochusu

Post by Taochusu » Fri May 22, 2020 5:55 pm

"I didn't," he says, shaking his head. "Probably a bunch of folks that could use a knife though."

"How's the hunt going? You found what you need for the knife? That's a sturdy wood so good for that I'd imagine."
Wanderer • Large

Carries: light armor, dai tsuchi, guqin, yumi & arrows, small knife, hatchet, jade finger

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Fri May 22, 2020 6:04 pm

"Yeah it took a while to cut through. It will take a bit longer to make this knife than the other weapon did. Grandpa's knife is really good at carving so it shouldn't be too terrible a process though."

"It should look pretty too. Not that matters too much, but magnolia is a creamy white that will match the pearly white of teeth. Hopefully, the owner remembers to wipe off the blood so it doesn't stain too much."
Wears/Carries:

Taochusu

Post by Taochusu » Fri May 22, 2020 6:11 pm

"Well, you could seal it with wax or sap or something. Bee hive wax is good for keeping water from damaging stuff. Some of that can be pretty light colored and clear," he suggests. "I used it a few times in the past on bowls I've made. Good for holding water, but hot foods can make it pointless if they melt it."
Wanderer • Large

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 pm

"Do you think we could find some around here? What about the chewy stuff on evergreen trees? Perhaps we could look for a bee hive if you think it would preserve the color better."
Wears/Carries:

Taochusu

Post by Taochusu » Fri May 22, 2020 6:25 pm

"We could look around for one, but it's also a stinging risk. Might be better to ask if anyone in the expedition has some first," he suggests. "Maybe you could trade for some if they do."
Wanderer • Large

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Fri May 22, 2020 6:39 pm

"I don't have too much to trade but I can ask around. In the meantime..." She went to a nearby pine tree and cut off the weeping, hardened pitch. Mai grumbled a bit under her breath hating the tactile feel of the sticky stuff. "You ever try chewing this? It has an interesting flavor and is chewy for hours."
Wears/Carries:

Taochusu

Post by Taochusu » Fri May 22, 2020 6:45 pm

"If it looks remotely edible, I've probably tried eating it at some point," Taochusu says with a chuckle. "Which has not worked out great for me in a lot of cases. But yeah, I've had a lot of different stuff like that from different trees and bushes."
Wanderer • Large

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Fri May 22, 2020 7:02 pm

"Mom gave it to me for a toothache once when I was little. Helped a lot. I know I can make this dissolve ok in spirits. So perhaps a splash until it is the right thickness and coat it on."

"Did you meet anyone interesting besides us Bat yesterday?"
Wears/Carries:

Taochusu

Post by Taochusu » Fri May 22, 2020 7:08 pm

"Met a few people, yeah. Bunch of interesting folks coming along. Seems like a really random group honestly. I haven't talked with this many people in such a short period for a long time. Usually just talk to myself. It's nice to talk to people like you."
Wanderer • Large

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Fri May 22, 2020 7:53 pm

"I like talking to you as well! It's good you don't find this many people overwhelming. I tend to, as I am often stuck in the village and not many travel through the mountains to visit the Bat. Though I hope you will some time after this journey."

She paused, "I noticed the random arrangement myself. Perhaps the think it will help the Clans make arrangements between each other along the way? I got to learn a good bit about the Nezumi the other day."
Wears/Carries:

Taochusu

Post by Taochusu » Fri May 22, 2020 8:21 pm

"That, or maybe this is just everyone that was willing and able. Who knows. Been a while since I've been that far north but maybe. Though, it could also be interesting to see what's further south. I don't really make long term plans. At least I haven't anyway."

"But having a lot of people around feels... like home I guess? I mean, honestly, if any of the tribes would have offered me a place there when I was much younger I likely would have stayed. But the longer I was alone the more comfortable it felt. There's something I enjoy about not having people rely on me and only having to worry about my own life. But I like being helpful to the people I meet too. It's strange."
Wanderer • Large

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Fri May 22, 2020 10:14 pm

"That also may be. I know I was personally eager to go anywhere, at least once in my life."

"If you were offered a place within a Clan, would you wish to stay in one? The Bat most certainly have a need for protection, but in return can offer both superior goods and spiritual guidance. Your old injuries may even be able to be healed. At least, any further ones repaired. You could have companionship, children if you want them?"
Wears/Carries:

Taochusu

Post by Taochusu » Fri May 22, 2020 10:52 pm

"Haven't really had any time to consider it before, but a guy named Ayumu said I'd probably be accepted by his people too. I told him I should probably learn more about these gods before I went and made a lifelong decision," he says, scratching his head. "Not that that doesn't sound nice. I just don't know what I want I guess? Been living most of my life based on what I need with little thought about the future."

"Also, wanting children doesn't make that happen. Takes another person to work that one out and I wouldn't even know where to start with that."
Wanderer • Large

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Fri May 22, 2020 11:43 pm

"I meant the safety of a village allows for marriage and the eventual security with food supply to support extra mouths to feed. I wish I was able to tell you more of the gods." She looked a bit sad.
Wears/Carries:

Taochusu

Post by Taochusu » Fri May 22, 2020 11:54 pm

He nods. "Yeah, just... it's like if you went your entire life without any friends and then suddenly you realized you could have friends," pausing for a moment. "Where would you even start after a learning something like that?"
Wanderer • Large

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Sat May 23, 2020 1:59 am

"By making one friend? So from now on I am calling you Tao-kun, and you are my friend. Wherever you end up, I will consider you such."
Wears/Carries:

Taochusu

Post by Taochusu » Sat May 23, 2020 6:35 am

"What does taokoon mean? I'm not sure what that is," he replies, a bit confused by it. "But yeah, I'm glad to be friends with you, Mai."
Wanderer • Large

Return to “The Forest”