Tell Me Your Story (D3, LM, Open)

Jin

Tell Me Your Story (D3, LM, Open)

Post by Jin » Fri May 22, 2020 3:35 pm

New places meant new explorations and new maps. But the feeling in the clearing had brought the sorcerer up short. There was something here he was sure of that. Whether that was something new stirred up by whatever happened with the Fall or something old and deep as stone was yet to be known... but his curiosity wished to know.

Jin settled himself slowly into a meditative stance before the worn stone marker. Earth could not be rushed, at least not without risking avalanche, so he did not know how long he would be. Once comfortable the sorcerer makes the ritual cuts to his right arm - angling so that the wound, while fairly deep to not clot quickly, dripped slow.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

Like a metronome the slow and steady tick of blood on earth took the daimyo deeper and deeper as he opened himself up to the spirits of this place.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

"Spirits of earth and stone, I beseech thee to rise briefly from your slumber, I would hear your tale."

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

They would answer in their own time and he would wait.

(Communing with Earth - 1 raise for clarity, 1 raise for an extra question - 3 questions total)
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Canary

Re: Tell Me Your Story (D3, LM, Open)

Post by Canary » Fri May 22, 2020 6:11 pm

He's left waiting nearly a half hour. The only sign that the stone has noticed his presence at all is a slow and subtle rumbling that, at long last, finally seems to communicate. "... NOT OF THE FIVE..." It was quiet yet surrounding, communicating more as a vibration from the earth through him than a true voice. "... NOT OF THE SERPENTS... NOR OGRES, NOR TROLLS, NOR THE PETS... WHAT ARE YOU...?"
GM + Bird + Glorious Plumage + Experienced

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Jin

Post by Jin » Fri May 22, 2020 7:55 pm

Thankfully earth also is patient for a response as Jin puzzles out the meaning of the question being asked of him. Thankfully the reference to ogres, a race he did know about, gave him context.

It seems many more have walked these lands than we could ever have expected... How far back did it all go?

He knew better than to ask a spirit of stone about perception of mortal time, however, so simply answered its question.

"Thank you speaking with me, honored stone, this one is Jin of the race of men. Those who now walk and build among these lands."

He considers his first question, "I know the earth shall never forget the marks and moves upon it, even if time may seek to erase their visible signs, I would see to it your story and your place are also not forgotten by those not so steadfast and eternal, proud spirit. This place which you inhabit, what was its purpose?"

(Wow, thank you Orokos with no sarcasm intended)
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Canary

Post by Canary » Fri May 22, 2020 8:16 pm

There was another lingering pause, but less than five minutes this time. Practically immediate for a spirit of the earth. "... MEN... A FLICKER WITHIN THE VASTNESS..." It seemed to muse. "... THE FIVE WISH TO REMEMBER... SO THEY CARRY US MANY MILES AND GOUGE TO REMEMBER FOR THEM..."

Indeed, Jin can make out texture on the rock too regular for natural formation. It's nearly worn away, though, far too worn to make out.

Jin

Post by Jin » Fri May 22, 2020 8:21 pm

"Then let us see to it that your purpose is served for at least another age, no matter how brief a flicker it may be." The corner of Jin's mouth ticks up slightly in a grin. It was always interesting to see how stone and earth saw time.

"What is it, oh stalwart spirit, that you remember for them?"

(Two asked, one to go)

Description

Canary

Post by Canary » Fri May 22, 2020 8:33 pm

"... NOT THE FIRST... A REPETITION OF A REPETITION..." It rumbled. "... BUT SIGNIFICANT TO THEM... A BATTLE THAT IS PART OF THE RHYTHM OF ALL THINGS..."

Jin

Post by Jin » Fri May 22, 2020 8:40 pm

Who were the Five? Who did they battle? How long ago was it? There were so many questions swirling in his mind. Though the latter, at least, he knew was not likely a fruitful one to ask of earth.

Letting the seconds roll slowly away he finally crystallizes what might be the most important thing, "The earth holds the pulse of the world, the rhythm of seasons and ages. How near, in the shortness of men, before the cycle may yet repeat. Where, in that ancient song, do we now dance?"

Description

Canary

Post by Canary » Fri May 22, 2020 8:45 pm

"... LESS THAN EVEN THE FLICKER OF A MORTAL LIFE..." Rumbled the earth before turning silent, the rumbling ceasing entirely.

Jin

Post by Jin » Fri May 22, 2020 8:59 pm

The slight tick of a grin had faded at the mention of battle and now turns resolutely downward as Jin pondered the words of the stone. Though despite the shock he remembers his manners as he begins to wrap his wound. Just because the spirit was done with speaking to him did not mean it was not still listening.

"Thank you, deep spirit, for sharing this time with me. Your vigil is kept with honor - ever steadfast, ever true. In this flicker of a flicker, how ever brief, not only do you remember but you shall be remembered."

His wound wrapped, his communion complete, the sorcerer yet sat pondering the words he had heard and the omen they bore. A great war. The great war? Was coming... again... and nearly here. It seemed impossible that this was not linked to the Kamifall and the wound in the realms. Their mission was even more important than they had ever imagined.

Does this mean something fell before? Before the Kami? How is that possible? Or are the echoes not so literal....

He remains in meditation as his mind ponders.

Description

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Fri May 22, 2020 10:24 pm

"Hmmm..." a young man stood nearby, looking over the stone.
Stranger ~ Shugenja ~ Water ~ Archer ~ Hunter ~ Healer ~ Spirit Talker ~ Small ~ Wary ~ Ennui
Glory 2 ~ Reputation 4 ~ Status 1

Carries: Yumi, Arrows, Aiguchi, Lantern, Water, Medicine Kit, Jade (4/7)

Jin

Post by Jin » Fri May 22, 2020 10:30 pm

Jin, still seated, looks up at the sound, "Pardon, I fear I was lost in thought and did not hear you approach." The man's mouth smiles but there is still clear worry in his good eye that the expression cannot shake, "I am Jin, of the Ki-Rin."

Description

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Fri May 22, 2020 10:46 pm

"Oh, hi." he looked at the other man as if he'd just remembered he was there. "I'm Hanzou ssiireek. That's a nice rock."
Stranger ~ Shugenja ~ Water ~ Archer ~ Hunter ~ Healer ~ Spirit Talker ~ Small ~ Wary ~ Ennui

Jin

Post by Jin » Fri May 22, 2020 10:58 pm

Jin's eyebrow raised slightly at the strange noise. Was that a family name, a title? Whatever it was he knew he could not replicate it after hearing it only once.

"Greetings uh... Hanzou. It is, and apparently a very important one."

Description

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Fri May 22, 2020 11:01 pm

"important?" He looked back at the rock. "What makes it shriack important?"

Jin

Post by Jin » Fri May 22, 2020 11:06 pm

Oh, a speech pattern maybe?

He looks to it, "It is the record of a great and ancient war... and a great war yet to come it seems."

Description

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Fri May 22, 2020 11:20 pm

"Really?" He was very curious. "Could reech you tell me more?"

Jin

Post by Jin » Fri May 22, 2020 11:26 pm

"I am just learning myself and do not know much. Only what the spirit of the stone could, or would, share. It was erected by The Five: a race... or races, maybe? ...that predate mankind. There was a great war and this is their document, or part of their document, of it. But the spirit says that same war came before and will come again... within our lifetimes. Some sort of cycle it seems."

"I imagine we could learn much more if the stone could be deciphered but I do not even recognize the name of the builders let alone imagine I would know their tongue. But perhaps there are those who do. I plan to ask the Kami if they have any knowledge of this Five."

Description

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Fri May 22, 2020 11:33 pm

"I skrik understand what spirits from any realm say, but not writing." he shook his head. "My teacher chirch would probably know, if he were here."

Jin

Post by Jin » Fri May 22, 2020 11:40 pm

Ok, definitely a speech pattern. Interesting if a little shocking when not used to it.

"Oh? They sound like a great scholar indeed. May I ask their name? If we survive this journey I think I shall need to seek out those who might be able to shine enlightenment on this."

Description

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Fri May 22, 2020 11:55 pm

"Unmei." he answered. "But, skreech it would be best if I ask him to find you."

Return to “The Clearing”