Into the Woods [Day 3, EE]

Ko

Re: Into the Woods [Day 3, EE]

Post by Ko » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:32 am

"... huh."

Ko chewed another bite for a bit, thinking.

"How did you, uh, get him? I mean, why him and why you all?"
Shore People ✖ 'Bushi? That sounds right' ✖ Stone-tool-user ✖ Awkward ✖ On A Quest
Status: 1.0 ✖ Glory: 1.0 ✖ Reputation: Bad, real bad ✖ Character description

Wears: Simple clothing, pearl and coral jewelry, copper coin bracelet; light armor when expecting danger.
Carries: Walking staff or yumi (or both); knives; jade, pack with misc fishing & survival tools and small daily items. Warclub (tetsubo) when needed.

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:41 am

Ko wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:32 am
"... huh."

Ko chewed another bite for a bit, thinking.

"How did you, uh, get him? I mean, why him and why you all?"
"Well, my aunt yelled at him and it led to sort of had an argument. And then they got to know eachother...I think some bandits were killed as part of that, and then they...you know, got together. I think he likes our people and we really like him so it works well. You could have a god too if you or a family member got with one, but as far as I know they're all taken."
Crab • Seidou • Niece of the Daimyo • Surprisingly Literate • A Little Awkward
• Here To Help • Front Line Combatant • Recorder Of History

Ko

Post by Ko » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:48 am

This story elicited a grin and a nod from Ko. "My aunt and her man were exactly the same." Her laughter carried an echo of wavelets splashing over pebbles. "Exactly! Well... um. Except he isn't a god." She sobered a bit. "I was sort of hoping we could get one without, uh, that. Not all to ourselves or anything..."
Shore People ✖ 'Bushi? That sounds right' ✖ Stone-tool-user ✖ Awkward ✖ On A Quest

Wears: Simple clothing, pearl and coral jewelry, copper coin bracelet; light armor when expecting danger.
Carries: Walking staff or yumi (or both); knives; jade, pack with misc fishing & survival tools and small daily items. Warclub (tetsubo) when needed.

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:58 am

Ko wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:48 am
This story elicited a grin and a nod from Ko. "My aunt and her man were exactly the same." Her laughter carried an echo of wavelets splashing over pebbles. "Exactly! Well... um. Except he isn't a god." She sobered a bit. "I was sort of hoping we could get one without, uh, that. Not all to ourselves or anything..."
Brightly
"Well, people don't usually listen to me, but I could maybe put in a good word to my uncle? Maybe we could loan you a god for a bit? Do you have a god sized problem?"

Ko

Post by Ko » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:27 pm

"Yes! Well...not exactly me." Ko nibbled her lip for a moment. "That is, I can see now that things are changing all over, and the old people say there are more raiders and less fish, and less of us than there used to be..." She shook her head and started again. "It's our cousins, though, they're the ones in trouble. They asked me to bring back a god to help them. Begged me, really. It's, um, they have a different accent from us--not close cousins, you see--so I don't have all the details. But it sounds like a god-sized problem, all right."

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:45 pm

Ko wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:27 pm
"Yes! Well...not exactly me." Ko nibbled her lip for a moment. "That is, I can see now that things are changing all over, and the old people say there are more raiders and less fish, and less of us than there used to be..." She shook her head and started again. "It's our cousins, though, they're the ones in trouble. They asked me to bring back a god to help them. Begged me, really. It's, um, they have a different accent from us--not close cousins, you see--so I don't have all the details. But it sounds like a god-sized problem, all right."
Well, family was family
"Maybe we can find you a god then? I know they have an accent but did they give any hints as to what the problem is? Each god sounds like they're best at solving different problems. Like if they're having trouble sitting still they could ask Togashi-kami or if they're having trouble...wearing....clothes then Doji-kami might be best?"

Ko

Post by Ko » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:38 pm

Trouble... sitting? Wearing clothes? Ko's lips twitched into a slightly perplexed smile at that.

"No, well, yes, well--I know it's a monster. Or monsters. A dark creature attacking their home, one they can't fight alone." She sets her empty bowl aside. "I haven't seen it, because they were afraid if I got that near, it might kill me and they'd have no messenger."

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:02 am

Ko wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:38 pm
Trouble... sitting? Wearing clothes? Ko's lips twitched into a slightly perplexed smile at that.

"No, well, yes, well--I know it's a monster. Or monsters. A dark creature attacking their home, one they can't fight alone." She sets her empty bowl aside. "I haven't seen it, because they were afraid if I got that near, it might kill me and they'd have no messenger."
"Wow! That really is a problem, it's probably an ogre. That does sound like something Hida-kami could fight....unless the monster is a metaphor for depression or something, but he's pretty cheerful so it might still work out."

Ko

Post by Ko » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:35 am

Ko nodded thoughtfully. "Could your people spare him, though? Everyone back at your village had a lot to say about the ogres and trolls and, uh, well, the ratmen." That last occasioned an awkward shrug; Ko wasn't sure whether the expedition's semi-friendly interactions with the Nezumi she'd met so far represented a large-scale detente, or one allied faction among enemies, or what. "How it took all you could do to defend yourselves before he came along to help."

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:40 am

Ko wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:35 am
Ko nodded thoughtfully. "Could your people spare him, though? Everyone back at your village had a lot to say about the ogres and trolls and, uh, well, the ratmen." That last occasioned an awkward shrug; Ko wasn't sure whether the expedition's semi-friendly interactions with the Nezumi she'd met so far represented a large-scale detente, or one allied faction among enemies, or what. "How it took all you could do to defend yourselves before he came along to help."
"It was the dark times, we would probably have ceased to be f it were not for the Kami, and perhaps the southern disaster."
Xia squares her shoulders
"But we are stronger now, the next time our enemies seek to test us we will drive them back! Maybe one day it will be us on top and the rats, ogres and trolls on the bottom? Maybe we'll raid their villages? Or well, their one large city. Either way, I'm sure we could spare Hida for a short time unless the worst happens."

Ko

Post by Ko » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:18 am

"Let the tides not wash that in," Ko quickly made a brushing gesture to scare away that unlucky possibility. "But thanks. When we come back from this journey, maybe I can talk with him. I mean to prove myself before I ask for favors," she added, straightening her shoulders and sitting up a bit taller.

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:47 am

Ko wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:18 am
"Let the tides not wash that in," Ko quickly made a brushing gesture to scare away that unlucky possibility. "But thanks. When we come back from this journey, maybe I can talk with him. I mean to prove myself before I ask for favors," she added, straightening her shoulders and sitting up a bit taller.
"Ah, by pounding? It is the traditional way."

Ko

Post by Ko » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:19 pm

"I guess?" Ko's eyebrows rose quizzically. I wouldn't use that word like that... Not for the first time, she hoped she herself didn't sound too odd to all these inland people. "I fought some raiders today. With other people, of course, but still... it's a start."

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:41 pm

Ko wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:19 pm
"I guess?" Ko's eyebrows rose quizzically. I wouldn't use that word like that... Not for the first time, she hoped she herself didn't sound too odd to all these inland people. "I fought some raiders today. With other people, of course, but still... it's a start."
"Oh that's fantastic! Not that there are raiders I guess, or that you had to fight them. Just the, you know, idea of fighting bravely and earning your reputation, it sounds great. Keep hitting bad things with a large club and you will earn great respect amongst my people."

Ko

Post by Ko » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:05 am

"I hope so." Ko nodded, then thought again and shook her head, having run herself into the same trick corner as Xia had a moment earlier. "Not that there are raiders. But... you know."

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:59 am

Ko wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:05 am
"I hope so." Ko nodded, then thought again and shook her head, having run herself into the same trick corner as Xia had a moment earlier. "Not that there are raiders. But... you know."
Nodding "Oh yes, I know. I'm sure you would make a fine Crab if necessary, Ko."

Ko

Post by Ko » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:55 am

Ko half-smiled, though there was a line between her brows "I think I should say I would rather catch fish than kill people. That's what the ancestors usually say in stories. And it's true I really didn't like that part." The But... hung unspoken.

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:03 am

Ko wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:55 am
Ko half-smiled, though there was a line between her brows "I think I should say I would rather catch fish than kill people. That's what the ancestors usually say in stories. And it's true I really didn't like that part." The But... hung unspoken.
"But sometimes you need to catch people and kill fish?"
Wait
"Or 'but sometimes it's necessary' ?"

Ko

Post by Ko » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:15 am

"But it was exciting." Ko made the brushing-off-bad-luck gesture again, then shrugged. "It feels good to protect people."

Anjing Xia

Post by Anjing Xia » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:25 pm

Ko wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:15 am
"But it was exciting." Ko made the brushing-off-bad-luck gesture again, then shrugged. "It feels good to protect people."
"I've been told it's a great feeling, pride, a touch of nobility, maybe some light applause if you're overly effective."

Return to “Abandoned Outpost”