(D3, EM, Open) Breakfast for fifty

Seppun Dawei

Re: (D3, EM, Open) Breakfast for fifty

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sat May 23, 2020 12:57 am

Dawei nods to that.

"It does beat slogging through the rain."

And his attention returns to the Shinjo.
Seppun Dawei
Stag Clan * Bushi * Quiet * O-Iemoto * Experienced
Status 2.0, Glory 2.0, Reputation 4.5
In village: wears sturdy clothes; carries bronze sword, knife, often a piece of wood he's carving, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
Out of village: wears ashigaru armor; carries bronze sword, yumi, quiver of arrows, traveling pack, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
"Speaking" * Thinking
Description from Dawn 1 * Current Description
Player based in Kerrville, Texas

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Sat May 23, 2020 1:03 am

Aono regarded the man, finishing the bite she had in her mouth before responding. "Oh, you mean the hand gestures? It's a system my father and I developed to help Miuna communicate. She was born without hearing which, as you might guess, can make things a bit difficult for her. Using signs like this and being able to translate them makes it much easier for Miuna to navigate the world. She's very sociable and had a very rough go of it before we were able to teach her."

Miuna was looking up at her, attentive while she spoke. Aono patted her thigh and nodded toward her food to encourage her to keep eating. Miuna relied on her sister to tell her when it was okay to not engage in a conversation. She happily worked on finishing her bowl. Stealing glances at the young boy with his short hair and green eyes, and blushing when he waved at them.

Aono continued her conversation with Dawei, oblivious to what was taking place. "She can speak, but the words are rough and sometimes not right. Though she has perfect clarity if she is communing with the spirits, kami or casting magic. I find that to be very interesting. Forgive me, I'm rambling." She pushed another bite of food between her lips to silence herself.
Last edited by Shinjo Miuna on Sat May 23, 2020 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ki-Rin • Blessed by Tengoku • Dangerous Beauty • Deaf • Feisty
• Shugenja • Small • Soft-hearted

Miuna | Aono | Description

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sat May 23, 2020 1:09 am

Dawei nods to the explanation.

"How many people know this sign system?"

Because I can think it would be damned useful.
Seppun Dawei
In village: wears sturdy clothes; carries bronze sword, knife, often a piece of wood he's carving, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
Out of village: wears ashigaru armor; carries bronze sword, yumi, quiver of arrows, traveling pack, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
"Speaking" * Thinking

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Sat May 23, 2020 1:21 am

She looked at him, surprised at his interest. "We haven't really traveled outside of our homelands, save for Miuna's time in training with Jin, so there haven't been too many opportunities to teach it. A few people that Miuna regularly interacts with back home and Jin knows the basics, enough that they could communicate with Miuna if I am otherwise preoccupied."

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sat May 23, 2020 1:58 am

"I'd be interested in learning it, if you're willing to teach."

Because it would be useful.

"No sense in not being able to communicate with those going along, right?"
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Sat May 23, 2020 2:01 am

Hanzou moved closer. "It would be interesting to srrit learn a new language."
Stranger ~ Shugenja ~ Water ~ Archer ~ Hunter ~ Healer ~ Spirit Talker ~ Small ~ Wary ~ Ennui
Glory 2 ~ Reputation 4 ~ Status 1

Carries: Yumi, Arrows, Aiguchi, Lantern, Water, Medicine Kit, Jade (4/7)

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Sat May 23, 2020 2:43 am

"It's... quite complex-looking for sure, moreso than the hand gestures my hunting partners and I have used while in the woods looking for game," Miyako commented as she continued to eat her food. "How does it work? Is it a different gesture for every word? Or one for every sound of a word that you string together?"
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Sat May 23, 2020 3:03 am

Aono said, "It takes a while to perfect, and I'm not the best instructor, but if there's time, I could most likely teach you at least the basics."

Miuna startled when Hanzou came near. What was that word? She thought. There was a word or two that the boy said that she didn't quite catch. His mouth did something funny and she couldn't make it out.

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sat May 23, 2020 3:04 am

Dawei watches Miuna start at Hanzou's approach.

He looks at the small man.

That's a strange one, he thinks. And with the noises...
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Inga

Post by Inga » Sat May 23, 2020 3:05 am

Inga smiled. "It would be nice to be able to communicate with other hand signals and give clear information without the need to use one's voice." Then she thought about what she had told some days before to Miuna and Aono about deceit. Inga grew quiet and pensive.
♧Shoji tribe ♧Bushi ♧Unlucky ♧Daredevil ♧Superstitious ♧Fortune Teller ♧Haunted ♧ Very Unfortunate
♧Glory: 1 ♧Reputation: Untrustworthy ♧Status:1

Equipment: Bow, quiver, Light armor, Finger of Jade, Tanto,

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat May 23, 2020 3:51 am

"Aono, Miuna, I have done a bit of thinking since we first met. Under the patronage of Yuzuru, we are working hard at adapting customs, items and architecture so that those with an unusual degree of sight can interact with them as conveniently as anyone. But I confess we have done close to nothing yet to ease the life of people whose other senses have been touched.

Would it be possible to request your help for fixing that blatant oversight?"

Turning back to face most of the crowd:

"By the way, should I be wary of any food allergy or specific diet that any of you might have?"
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sat May 23, 2020 4:02 am

Dawei chuckles.

"A bit late for those of us who've eaten of it! But the intent is appreciated, even so--and, for my part, no."
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat May 23, 2020 4:23 am

"Oh, I don't fret about today's special. People generally know of their own eating habits better than anyone else and simply ask if the meal offered seems in contradiction of them.

I'm more wondering about the future, so to be able to prepare alternatives in advance instead of having only some cold jerky to offer as an on-the-fly replacement."
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Sat May 23, 2020 6:08 am

Miyako wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:43 am
"It's... quite complex-looking for sure, moreso than the hand gestures my hunting partners and I have used while in the woods looking for game," Miyako commented as she continued to eat her food. "How does it work? Is it a different gesture for every word? Or one for every sound of a word that you string together?"
Aono said, "Honestly it's a bit of both. There are movements for single words as well as phrases and hands shapes for each sound." She hoped she was making any sort of sense.
Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:51 am
"Aono, Miuna, I have done a bit of thinking since we first met. Under the patronage of Yuzuru, we are working hard at adapting customs, items and architecture so that those with an unusual degree of sight can interact with them as conveniently as anyone. But I confess we have done close to nothing yet to ease the life of people whose other senses have been touched.

Would it be possible to request your help for fixing that blatant oversight?"

Turning back to face most of the crowd:

"By the way, should I be wary of any food allergy or specific diet that any of you might have?"
She nodded. "Anyone that would like to know more," she said, leaning closer to Dawei, "come find me later in the afternoon near the clearing and we can set something up."

Miuna wondered why everyone was suddenly so curious and interested in learning their way of communicating. Could it really be that unique? She would have to wait and see who gathered later to be taught.

((Will create EE thread))
Last edited by Shinjo Miuna on Sat May 23, 2020 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sat May 23, 2020 6:24 am

Dawei nods.

"Kami willing, I'll be there."
Seppun Dawei
"Speaking" * Thinking

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Sat May 23, 2020 6:52 am

"Can't imagine I'll have too much going on - I will be there!" Miyako said before continuing to scarf down the meal in her bowl.
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Sat May 23, 2020 7:33 am

"I eeets will try to be there. I was planning to skees the area this afternoon." Hanzou explained apologetically. "If skrict I can't make it back, maybe I can find you this evening?"
Stranger ~ Shugenja ~ Water ~ Archer ~ Hunter ~ Healer ~ Spirit Talker ~ Small ~ Wary ~ Ennui
Glory 2 ~ Reputation 4 ~ Status 1

Carries: Yumi, Arrows, Aiguchi, Lantern, Water, Medicine Kit, Jade (4/7)

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Sat May 23, 2020 9:21 am

Both women nodded and Aono said, "Of course, we will do our best to get to everyone."

Inga

Post by Inga » Sat May 23, 2020 9:28 am

"Sounds like a plan!" Inga smiled as she finished her plate.
♧Shoji tribe ♧Bushi ♧Unlucky ♧Daredevil ♧Superstitious ♧Fortune Teller ♧Haunted ♧ Very Unfortunate
♧Glory: 1 ♧Reputation: Untrustworthy ♧Status:1

Equipment: Bow, quiver, Light armor, Finger of Jade, Tanto,

Return to “Supply Wagon”