D3, EE School is In! (Open but expecting)

Jiyo Ayumu

Re: D3, EE School is In! (Open but expecting)

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sun May 24, 2020 8:17 pm

As an exercise, Asumu tries to continue the previous conversation using the signs he just learned:

You.

Negation.

Love.

Big.

Person.

Interrogation.
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Sun May 24, 2020 9:42 pm

Saruko was trying to follow the lessons, moving her hands along with the teachers to recreate the signs. Like Ninube she had better luck with replicating the movements than actually remembering their meaning.

"It's almost like a dance..." she mused to no one in particular, as she wondered if this could be part of some new form of dance. Dance with hidden meanings?!
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Sun May 24, 2020 11:00 pm

Miyako nodded her head slowly as the two ladies walked through and explained the symbols, and she looked back and forth between what they were doing and what her own hands were doing to match. "I think I understand now... so I might want to say something like 'mountain far to the left' if I lived in the mountains a good distance away and they were over to that person's left? Or to the west if we were talking about from north?" she said as she mimicked out 'far' and 'mountain' and 'left' as she had seen. "And in the case of the mountain, if it could be seen on the horizon, I might just point at it to emphasize it? Hmm." Memorizing all of these was going to take time, but that's why practice made perfect...
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Seppun Dawei

Post by Seppun Dawei » Sun May 24, 2020 11:11 pm

Dawei, whose player has been absent, has been lurking largely silently the entire time.

(PM for engagement, please!)
Seppun Dawei
Stag Clan * Bushi * Quiet * O-Iemoto * Experienced
Status 2.0, Glory 2.0, Reputation 4.5
In village: wears sturdy clothes; carries bronze sword, knife, often a piece of wood he's carving, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
Out of village: wears ashigaru armor; carries bronze sword, yumi, quiver of arrows, traveling pack, finger of jade (2 as of LM15)
"Speaking" * Thinking
Description from Dawn 1 * Current Description
Player based in Kerrville, Texas

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Mon May 25, 2020 4:52 am

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:17 pm
As an exercise, Asumu tries to continue the previous conversation using the signs he just learned:

You.

Negation.

Love.

Big.

Person.

Interrogation.
Kyosei looks at the hands, searching his memory, then shrugs. "Sorry, I didn't get that. Not me that loves big... rock - boulder?, significant point? I'm sorry, I don't understand."
Kyosei of the Isawa Tribe
Shugenja • Earth • Experienced • Jade

Glory 2 • Reputation 4 • Status 1
Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.
When out in the area outside the camps, Axe, shovel, bo staff.

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Mon May 25, 2020 5:54 am

"Honestly, I'm not sure I got all the symbols right myself."

He tried to sign at the same time he spoke: I. No. Good. Maybe. Good.

Nope. Something was missing. He raised his hand:

"Sensei, what about temporal distance? Past, present, future, before, now, after?"
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Mon May 25, 2020 9:53 am

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:54 am
"Honestly, I'm not sure I got all the symbols right myself."

He tried to sign at the same time he spoke: I. No. Good. Maybe. Good.

Nope. Something was missing. He raised his hand:

"Sensei, what about temporal distance? Past, present, future, before, now, after?"
Aono smiled and happily explained what Ayumu had asked about. They watched as Miuna put her right fist up parallel with her face and then traced her thumb from th3 side of her chin and up to the back of her ear. "This movement is used to convey something that happened on the previous day." Next, Miuna put her hands up in front of her just below her chest. Her pinky and thumb on each hand was stuck out, making a Y shape. She held both hands parallel to each other and brought them down and up again, quickly. "This sign we use to indicate now or this day. It is one of the signs that varies in meaning. It depends on the context of the question." And finally, Miuna held her hand like she was giving a thumbs up. She started at her ear and brought the fist forward, thumb still out. "We use that to indicate something happening on the next immediate day. If you double the movement, you can use it to indicate everyday. Again depending on the context of the question or statement." They practiced signs for after, across, over and under as well. "Does that answer your question fully, Ayumu?"
Ki-Rin • Blessed by Tengoku • Dangerous Beauty • Deaf • Feisty
• Shugenja • Small • Soft-hearted

Miuna | Aono | Description

Ninube

Post by Ninube » Mon May 25, 2020 12:54 pm

"So, uh, I have a question. Are these specific to your former tribe or the Unicorn Clan? If I met someone from a different tribe who was deaf, would they understand?" Ninube knew different tribes had different hand signals for hunting, she wondered if this sign language was similar. For all she knew, the kami brought it and deaf people were really screwed before they came.
Spider Clan * "Scout" * Unloved By Her Ancestors

Items: Bronze Sword * Jade * Ashigaru Armor (when scouting and such) * Mask (when scouting and such) * Lucky Cricket in Cage (during down time)

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Mon May 25, 2020 5:05 pm

Shinjo Miuna wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:53 am
"Does that answer your question fully, Ayumu?"
"I think so."

He starts signing again:

Today.

Me.

No.

Good.

Tomorrow.

Maybe.

Good.

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Tue May 26, 2020 12:26 am

Ninube wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:54 pm
"So, uh, I have a question. Are these specific to your former tribe or the Unicorn Clan? If I met someone from a different tribe who was deaf, would they understand?" Ninube knew different tribes had different hand signals for hunting, she wondered if this sign language was similar. For all she knew, the kami brought it and deaf people were really screwed before they came.
Aono shook her head. "These are unique to Miuna. Before she came along, we had no idea that there were people that existed who could not hear. I don't believe any other hearing impaired individuals would know what a lot of the signs meant. Some are self explanatory and easily interpreted but others need to be learned. Maybe, when all of this is done, we can work on teaching it to others. Maybe there are more navigating this world like Miuna than we realized." She grew pensive.

"Others like me?" Miuna thought. She had never really considered that there might be more people in the world that also couldn't hear. She'd never thought about it because she'd been so comfortable with her sister and father. It made her sad to consider that not every person that cannot hear had things as relatively easy as she had.

Jiyo Ayumu wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:05 pm
Shinjo Miuna wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:53 am
"Does that answer your question fully, Ayumu?"
"I think so."

He starts signing again:

Today.

Me.

No.

Good.

Tomorrow.

Maybe.

Good.
Aono chuckled, smiling at Ayumu. "There you go, you're getting it just fine." Everyone was, actually. She hadn't realized how popular this was going to get or how fast it might travel as a result. But surely anything to help others such as Miuna.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue May 26, 2020 12:30 am

"Will you continue to hold such lessons? I would love to bring this knowledge back to the Dragon, in case someone has a need to learn it too." She thought that would be a nice thing.

But mostly she was thinking about secret meanings in art!

"Oh, and how do we make something a question in sign?"
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Tue May 26, 2020 2:13 am

Kyosei continued to observe, even if he wasn't making the movements with his hands himself.
Kyosei of the Isawa Tribe
Shugenja • Earth • Experienced • Jade

Glory 2 • Reputation 4 • Status 1
Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.
When out in the area outside the camps, Axe, shovel, bo staff.

Shinjo Miuna

Post by Shinjo Miuna » Tue May 26, 2020 6:21 am

Togashi Saruko wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:30 am
"Will you continue to hold such lessons? I would love to bring this knowledge back to the Dragon, in case someone has a need to learn it too." She thought that would be a nice thing.

But mostly she was thinking about secret meanings in art!

"Oh, and how do we make something a question in sign?"
The women smiled at her and Aono said, "Of course we will continue as long as there is interest. At the same time each night when we are able. As for knowing the difference between a question and a statement, we will discuss that more during our next lesson. Will you be there?"

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue May 26, 2020 6:50 am

Shinjo Miuna wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:21 am
The women smiled at her and Aono said, "Of course we will continue as long as there is interest. At the same time each night when we are able. As for knowing the difference between a question and a statement, we will discuss that more during our next lesson. Will you be there?"
"I will certainly try to be, teacher," she nodded, intending to come for more lessons.

Theme 2Profile

Return to “The Camp”