The Lady of the House [Day 3 LM] (Expecting)

Reo

The Lady of the House [Day 3 LM] (Expecting)

Post by Reo » Fri May 22, 2020 6:08 pm

Reo stretches, sore from the effort of keeping up with the march. Fortunately, the monotonous task of keeping up had given him time to think and then ask around when they stopped to make camp for the night.

That bunch sounds interesting. But before I go off wildly, I should hear from those in charge.

It hasn't been that hard to find the betrothed to the captured kami...the question was what kind of reception Reo would get.

"Hello." Reo addresses the one called Reiko. "I hear that you are the one who speaks for the Spider clan"
Archer | Kakita Tribe | Spider Clan | Bad Limp | Not a People Person | Healer
Yumi with lots of arrows, Light Armor, Medicine Kit, Mortar and Pestle, finger of Jade, 3 uses of jade dust

Reiko

Re: The Lady of the House [Day 3 LM] (Expecting)

Post by Reiko » Fri May 22, 2020 9:41 pm

Reiko, after a mornings walk, had returned to the section of the camp set up for her. It wasn't difficult to find, as she was given a position of importance closer to the Kami tents than others. Having collected some ingredients, she started to prepare something, although she gave up quite early on when the smell coming from it was pretty awful. She had started getting up when she was approached, gazing in the direction of the voice before bowing.

"Good morning. I am Reiko of the Spider. One moment, allow me to get rid of this rather unsuccessful stew and I'll be right with you."

She bowed again before slowly moving away from the tent towards the woods, carefully got rid of the rest of the awful smelling cooking before returning. Her walking was slow and careful, as if she was blind or had difficulty seeing.

"Again, my apology. How can I be of assistance?"
Spider Clan * Temporary Clan Champion * Reiko family Daimyo * Former Isawa Tribe * Shugenja * Prophet * Bride of Fu Leng * Fire * Bad (blood?) Eyesight * Well Educated * Experienced * Kami Speak * profile
Equipment: Diviner sticks, Yari and Ashigaru armour(when allowed), Walking Stick (bo), Jade, writing tools

Reo

Post by Reo » Fri May 22, 2020 10:10 pm

"It's no trouble." Reo goes down to the fire taking a giant sniff of a pot. Apparently nonplussed he goes to the next poitpulling out a few herbs and tossing fresh water from his water skin into the pot along with some dried grain.

Reo continues to stir the concoction, periodically sniffing as the clan leader returned."I've smelled a lot worse in a tiny hut whenever my teacher cooked. For a healer, who knew her ways around herbs she is not much of a cook. That job eventually went to me"

"Anyway, I met one of your Clan members in the market the other day. He seemed, well, different. I wanted to learn more, see if the rest of your people are similar."
Yumi with lots of arrows, Light Armor, Medicine Kit, Mortar and Pestle, finger of Jade, 3 uses of jade dust

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Fri May 22, 2020 10:27 pm

Reiko certainly didn't expect to come back to this visitor preparing food, but she didn't complain. Just giving the man a nod of thanks and taking a careful seat close by.

"Well, hopefully I can be of assistance in this. Although every member is quite unique in their own way, we are bound together in a belief of assisting others. Or at least that is what I try to teach, I can't say everyone listens all of the time though" there was a small laugh "what's your name, friend?"
Spider Clan * Temporary Clan Champion * Reiko family Daimyo * Former Isawa Tribe * Shugenja * Prophet * Bride of Fu Leng * Fire * Bad (blood?) Eyesight * Well Educated * Experienced * Kami Speak * profile
Equipment: Diviner sticks, Yari and Ashigaru armour(when allowed), Walking Stick (bo), Jade, writing tools

Reo

Post by Reo » Fri May 22, 2020 10:37 pm

"Reo. Kakita no Reo" Reo continues to stir, taking a moment to sample the seasoning.

"I am slightly surprised. The man from before, the one with a daughter he carried around, he spoke about being a pragmatic fighter, an ambusher. "Working together" is not the first thought I would have attributed to it. However..." Reo pauses and thinks. "It is not at odds with the idea either."

Reo takes a small handful of the porridge and swallows it and offers the pot to Reiko.

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Sat May 23, 2020 12:25 am

"An ambusher and fighter can work together with others, acting in defense for example or to lure someone out via attack and retreating. I'm not a dedicated fighter though, that would be a better question for Yamadono-san."

There was a blink as something was offered in her direction, and she took a moment to focus her vision before realising what it was.

"Ah, thank you" she carefully accepting the offering.

"In fact thank you, not just for the food, but for coming. This mission has been five years of careful planning, walking to every corner of our lands. Every person that has answered the call has my deepest thanks."

Reo

Post by Reo » Sat May 23, 2020 1:30 am

"I missed the last time there was a gathering like this, and quite a few things happened. I didn't want to miss another chance."

Reo observes the woman's glance down, curious about the length of time it took to recognize the meal.

"I confess, a lot of my reasons for being here were because the world is beginning to change. The Kakita have almost entirely joined with Doji, and well" Reo shrugs. "They care more about something being "artistic" rather than "Well crafted". I don't fit their aesthetics and pomp. I see the winds blowing to these groups, and I-" The Kakita pauses. "Don't quite fit"

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Sat May 23, 2020 9:15 pm

Reiko nodded. She could understand that.

"You sound a lot like myself after meeting the stars. The world was changing, yet the Tribe of Isawa wished to resist and remain separate. Those who viewed the needed change and breakaway from the isolation have followed me into the Spider. Where do you feel that you fit in, Reo-san? What appeals to you, and thus has brought you to me?"

Reo

Post by Reo » Sat May 23, 2020 11:32 pm

"I..." Reo pauses his eyes trailing off. His grip on the spoon in the pot slides. He is silent for a good thirty second. "I don't really fit in anywhere. People have always commented on my odd manner. People confound me. Their needs are so much easier to understand. And yet, like you said, few can live absolutely alone and fewer thrive. I certainly can't." There is bitterness in the tone of the last words.

Reo hesitates for a moment and hikes up a pant leg up to mid calf. The bone is misshapen underneath the skin, jutting out at on off angle. "That goes all the way up my leg. Because my "people skills" are "absent" I am never going to be the artsy statesman of Doji or a clever defender of Bayushi. I'll never stand on the battlefield with a mass of warriors like those of Akodo or HIda."

"There are others. But what attracted me was what the first Spider I met said: that you were a group of boundless pragmatists. And I think I see it now: the others seem to be the best at one thing and try to hone it to a single point of perfection, like an artisan who focuses on a single craft: pottery, or carving, or weaving,...but the thing is, they simply can't. The potter needs to be a woodcutter and and bricklayer to make and fuel his kiln. The farmer needs his pots to store his goods, so he can sell the food to feed the village or for the weaver to make baskets and clothes."

"I can't do a lot of things. But I can do one or two things well. In a group with people who can do one or two other things really well, or can't do what I can do, maybe we are not the best at any one thing, but can beat anyone by doing better in what they are poor at."

Reo tries to look apologetic. "Sorry, I ramble. At least I'm told I ramble. Most of that made no sense I'm sure"

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Sun May 24, 2020 8:41 pm

Reiko smiled, shaking her head.

"Not rambling at all. I entirely understand what you're saying, Reo-san. In fact, you have described how I see things as well. I am not a great fighter, and with my eyesight I'll never be in the front lines. My skills are in knowledge, and foresight of what is to come as a seer, and I do this better than most. We work together, using our individual strengths to cover where others are less strong. Listening to what you feel, I'm certain that you would be very suited to the Spider, and I'm sure you would be welcomed among our kin should you wish to join us. I won't pressure you into any decision, but if you decide you want to join us then let me know and it will be done."

Reo

Post by Reo » Sun May 24, 2020 8:56 pm

"I..." Reo pauses. "Would like some time to think about it. It's a choice I take seriously and I hope that you do too. I want to make sure that I have use. I know my way around healing herbs and I am a deft hand with a bow. I don't know if you have any standards on your warriors yet...the Kakita had full time soldiers and I hear that the other clans have "Schools"

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Sun May 24, 2020 9:13 pm

"What the clans call schools is just a term for passing the techniques down from master to student, but a bigger group of students. As for the offer, I expected that you would want time. This is not a simple decision after all, and one needs to see how they fit into the order of things. You have your whole life to make a decision, and I will put no pressure on you. Know that regardless of the choices you make, you have a friend in the Spider" Reiko lowered her head respectfully to Reo "I know my kin are working towards an established school for those who cannot call upon the elements like I can. I have begun teaching my guidance already to those who wish to learn it. No path will be forced upon anyone though, it's not the way the Spider will work under mine or fu Lengs guidance."

Reo

Post by Reo » Sun May 24, 2020 10:49 pm

"Hmm. That seems very fair." Reo pauses and thinks. "You would be the one to ask: what is Fu Leng like?

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Mon May 25, 2020 4:59 am

"I may have slight bias in this question, being that I am the only person who has seen him other than the stars, but he is brilliant. His knowledge of the spirit realms is beyond parallel. I believe he even uses a kind of magic. He's tall, about the same kinda height as the other stars, and has a good sense of humour."

Reiko closed her eyes, her hand over her heart.

I love you so much Fu Leng.

"When he is back, the Spider will be blessed with his vast wonderful knowledge."

Reo

Post by Reo » Mon May 25, 2020 5:32 am

"I can tell he means a lot to you. And knowing more of the Realms would be an incredible boon." Reo pauses. "And what about the realm he is trapped in? He would be the one to know the most of these Shadowlands...do you know what awaits us in what's to come"

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Mon May 25, 2020 6:03 am

"What awaits us is nightmares given form, Reo-san. Terrors of the mind, the body and the soul" Reiko lowered her head "every person who has come to assist in freeing Fu Leng is risking so much, and we owe them our deepest thanks."

She paused, before adding "are you aware of the significance of Jade, Reo-san?"

Reo

Post by Reo » Mon May 25, 2020 6:16 am

"Umm." Reo looks down at the ground. He grinds his teeth and then looks back up. "It shames me to say that I have no idea about the properties of Jade or about the Shadowlands. But it's a greater shame to continue that ignorance"

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Mon May 25, 2020 6:22 am

"The land known as the Shadowlands has something worse than monsters. From where Fu Leng fell, there is a portal between this realm and the realm of evil, and through that the land has become cursed around it. Getting too close without some manner of protection risks your very soul being corrupted by the influence of Jigoku."

Reiko took out her necklace, which had jade on it.

"Jade is a blessed substance, said to have a touch of the heavens in it. This helps to protect your soul from the realm of evils corruption. A few inches of it like this will protect one person for around a week of being in the corruption-touched lands. I would suggest trying to get hold of some if possible. The supply wagon may have some."

Reo

Post by Reo » Mon May 25, 2020 6:48 am

"I don't have much in the way of money. I don't know if I can purchase any." Reo stares off, "What happens to you if you are around this, this "corruption" as you call it? I can't say that I've heard of it anywhere before.

Reiko

Post by Reiko » Mon May 25, 2020 6:56 am

"Imagine an illness that could affect your very spirit, your soul. Something that could twist you so you turn against those who you previously treated as friends. That is what this corruption would do, at least from the very limited studies we have."

Reiko frowned, reaching into the sleeves on her robes to take out a small bag, undoing it and feeling in.

"Hmm...there. Hold out your hand."

She held her hand over Reo's, and dropped two pieces of coin into the mans hand. (2 kokus worth of 'currency')

"This should allow you to procure enough Jade to protect you for two weeks in the corrupted lands."

Return to “The Camp”