As I was saying... [Day 3 LM, expecting]

Ko

As I was saying... [Day 3 LM, expecting]

Post by Ko » Sun May 24, 2020 6:01 am

Ko was searching for Kinsen, the yellow-haired woman she had met two days ago. Someone of that height, with hair that color, ought to be easy to find in the small camp...

Ko herself looked almost exactly the same as she had on that first day--dressing for the trail was easy when that was the only kind of clothing you owned. The one difference was that she was now wearing a light armor corslet made of rattan and some strange kind of leather, dyed red.

((Expecting--ask before hopping in, please :) ))
Shore People ✖ 'Bushi? That sounds right' ✖ Stone-tool-user ✖ Awkward ✖ On A Quest
Status: 1.0 ✖ Glory: 1.0 ✖ Reputation: Bad, real bad ✖ Character description

Wears: Simple clothing, pearl and coral jewelry, copper coin bracelet; light armor when expecting danger.
Carries: Walking staff or yumi (or both); knives; jade, pack with misc fishing & survival tools and small daily items. Warclub (tetsubo) when needed.

Hantei Kinsen

Re: As I was saying... [Day 3 LM, expecting]

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Sun May 24, 2020 6:25 am

Kinsen was there, wearing some well crafted Seppun armor, and looking apparently unworried about was going to happen. Last couple of nights with Hantei were, after all, specially fun.

Slurping some noodles up for lunch, she looks at Ko and opens a bright smile.
Stag Clan • Waifu • Bushi • Fierce • Blessed • Rawr • Ouch • Jade Nails • Golden Eyes • Noriaki Beast
DescriptionTheme • Reputation: What is Expected • Status: 4.0 • Glory: 9.0 • Infamy: 1.0

Wears: Black Silk Choker, Jade Pendant (Hantei's Gift).
Outdoor Gear: Battle-Ready Kimono (Designed by Jiyo Ayumu), Small Knife, Bronze Sword, Bow & Arrows, Light Armor.
Indoor Gear: Fabulous White-Golden Kimono (Doji's Gift).
TN to be recognized is 0

Ko

Post by Ko » Sun May 24, 2020 10:25 am

"Greetings again, Kinsen Godswife." Ko stopped before Kinsen and spread her hand over her heart. "You're well?"

She'd seen Kinsen around during yesterday's march, often enough in proximity to the bright one called Hantei that she had no reason to question Kinsen's account of herself.
Shore People ✖ 'Bushi? That sounds right' ✖ Stone-tool-user ✖ Awkward ✖ On A Quest

Wears: Simple clothing, pearl and coral jewelry, copper coin bracelet; light armor when expecting danger.
Carries: Walking staff or yumi (or both); knives; jade, pack with misc fishing & survival tools and small daily items. Warclub (tetsubo) when needed.

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Sun May 24, 2020 9:47 pm

“Oh! Good morning, Ko-san. I’m great. Thanks for asking. Have you had something to eat?” Kinsen greets her with a head nod and mentions her noodles with a glance.
Stag Clan • Waifu • Bushi • Fierce • Blessed • Rawr • Ouch • Jade Nails • Golden Eyes • Noriaki Beast
DescriptionTheme • Reputation: What is Expected • Status: 4.0 • Glory: 9.0 • Infamy: 1.0

Outdoor Gear: Battle-Ready Kimono (Designed by Jiyo Ayumu), Small Knife, Bronze Sword, Bow & Arrows, Light Armor.
TN to be recognized is 0

Ko

Post by Ko » Wed May 27, 2020 2:41 am

"Yes." Ko nodded, though she still looked at Kinsen's noodles with interest. This was a type of food she'd seen several times since entering Seidou lands. It looked sort of like a yellowy-white version of some of the seaweeds she was used to eating at home, but she'd been told it was made of seed flours, of all things.

She squatted down on her heels across the firepit from Kinsen and got straight to the point. "Before, in Shancheng, you said I might tell you why I came to seek your husband and his sisters and brothers."

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Wed May 27, 2020 6:47 am

Noticing Ko's curiosity over her noodles, Kinsen puts the chopsticks over the rim, and offers her some by extending her arms with the bowl. "Please, try them out. They taste really good."

After a moment, she simply nods positively to Ko, waiting for her to spill it out.

TN to be recognized is 0

Ko

Post by Ko » Fri May 29, 2020 2:02 am

"Oh... well, thank you." Turning down an offer of food would have been quite rude in Ko's home village, so she took the bowl with a hesitant smile. The shore people didn't use paired sticks like this for eating, but they were used for other things--cooking, moving hot coals--so Ko knew the way to manipulate them, though picking up a slippery noodle was a challenge...

"Ah, that is really good!" Her smile became clearer. The noodle was tender and chewy, almost like scallop meat, but grain-sweet... I want to learn how to make this! she thought as she handed the bowl back to Kinsen.

But then it was time to tell her tale, and Ko found that it was hard to find the place to begin. At the beginning? Or... the other beginning? Or start with the most important part? Some of this uncertainty was probably clear from her expression, from the set of her shoulders, from the way she picked at the ragged edge of one thumbnail.

"Um." She settled back to sit on the ground with her legs folded in front of her. "I'm not a singer of tales. I can only tell you what I know. And what I know is... a distant tribe, brave and honorable, who are cousins to me, asked me to seek the help of the eight Kami from the heavens to save their home."

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Fri May 29, 2020 2:47 am

Kinsen shakes her head at getting the bowl back. She wouldn't deprive Ko of tasting noodles in full for the first time. With a smile and a wave of hand, she informs Ko she could keep on slurping.

"They are ten. The Kami. Nine fell to this world. One, is not known his whereabouts. We are on a quest to retrieve the ninth." The first to bear the name from Hantei explains, and then asks, "I am sure one of the Kami, if not all, would be interested in helping your people. Tell me more of these problems you face, so I can bring it to, at least, my dear husband."

TN to be recognized is 0

Ko

Post by Ko » Fri May 29, 2020 3:42 am

"Oh. My cousins said they saw eight stars fall. But if the other one is so far away south..." Ko nodded. "Maybe they didn't see him, or didn't think I would find him."

She looked with slight confusion at the bowl of noodles, still held out toward the other woman. Really, Kinsen didn't want them?

"My cousins live in a great palace, even bigger than the Crab Clan's Shancheng. It's far east of here." She pointed with her chin in that approximate direction. "I wasn't taken to visit, I've only seen it from far away. It wasn't safe for me to go there, you see. They are being attacked by a great, dark, monstrous beast that comes and goes as it pleases, destroying things and killing people or carrying them off. Or maybe it's many beasts." She shivered just a little... and soothed herself with a bite of delicious chewy noodles, since it seemed she really was meant to eat the rest of them!

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Fri May 29, 2020 6:43 am

"A dark monstrous beast that comes and goes..." Kinsen repeats her words., and taps her chin. "I am sure either dear husband, his brother Hida-kami-sama or Akodo-kami-sama would be very interested in providing aid to your people. Of course, if they would be willing to accept the enlightenment the Kami bring."

Kinsen doesn't mind the noodles at all.

TN to be recognized is 0

Ko

Post by Ko » Fri May 29, 2020 10:32 am

"Are they strong enough?" Ko asked, with what appeared to be sincere curiosity. "Have they fought monsters before? And... what do you mean by enlightenment? The man who names himself Wu talked about that too, but," she shakes her head a little, a wisp of sun-streaked hair coming perilously close to her next bite of noodles for an instant, "he couldn't explain it very clearly."

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Fri May 29, 2020 10:36 am

"So." Kinsen takes in consideration all the questions, and replies "They are incredibly stronger. Much more than I am. I can't say they've fought monsters. Perhaps one in particular. And by enlightenment I mean clarity and purpose for one's life and family. Yet, dear husband actually shines a very warm and cozy glow. Literally. I sleep with a blindfold covering my eyes."

TN to be recognized is 0

Ko

Post by Ko » Fri May 29, 2020 10:47 am

"What?" Ko shots Kinsen a startled look. "Really? Is that a figure of speech? Because that sounds... very inconvenient for everyone."

There were other things she'd wanted to say, but this had driven everything else out of her mind for a moment.

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Fri May 29, 2020 10:56 am

She giggles a little. "Well. That's not true. Don't say that. I got used to it. It is cozy."

TN to be recognized is 0

Ko

Post by Ko » Fri May 29, 2020 12:53 pm

That didn't sound at all like the way Wu had described 'enlightenment.' Clarity seemed further off than ever, about this anyway. Ko sighed and rocked back a little.

"I wish I could tell you more about the beast. My cousins warned me that if I came close enough to see it, I might be killed, and then there wouldn't be anyone to deliver their message. And... our languages aren't the same." Ko looked a bit sheepish about that. "Even more than most of the people here. I didn't understand everything they said about it. But I know only the bravest and mightiest one has any hope of beating it--someone stronger than mortals." That, at least, she was completely clear about.

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Sat May 30, 2020 12:12 am

Kinsen nods, growing ever more curious of the monster. She says, "The Kami are definitely stronger than mortals. Even beyond that, in fact. It is not just strength. Intelligence, stamina. Everything in them is an example for us to pursue. If you think your people can aid in growing this new Empire in a mighty society, I am sure they would be glad to help out."

Patiently waiting until Ko finishes the meal, she mentions, "Let me know when you would like to talk with dear husband."

TN to be recognized is 0

Ko

Post by Ko » Sat May 30, 2020 9:35 am

"Any time that suits him," Ko said straightforwardly. "I didn't know if he would talk to ordinary mortals, or if I was supposed to... address a priest first? But that was before I met you, Godswife." She arched her eyebrows as she glanced across at Kinsen, who might be TALL but was otherwise a reassuringly normal human person who apparently talked to Hantei every day.

"My people... my people might welcome the protection of your empire. Life is becoming difficult on our shore, and I see now that your folk have many things that we don't." This last with a rueful glance at the empty noodle bowl. "I can't speak for my cousins' people, though. That might be, um, complicated."

Hantei Kinsen

Post by Hantei Kinsen » Sun May 31, 2020 12:17 am

"Well. I couldn't speak for those in my tribe. Until I managed to convince all of them. I know how it feels. It is difficult, but not impossible." Kinsen winks with her bright golden eye to Ko. "Well, that's settled, then. I tell dear husband. You make sure you get some time to meet him. I should be going. Much to do today. Hope we see each other again."

Kinsen provides a bow, and exits, forgetting the bowl and chopsticks.

/Scene?

TN to be recognized is 0

Ko

Post by Ko » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:18 am

/scene!

Return to “The Camp”