(D1EM) Changing the Course (expecting)

Seppun Chisei

Re: (D1EM) Changing the Course (expecting)

Post by Seppun Chisei » Sun May 24, 2020 9:22 am

"Hmmm." Chisei said. Briefly, he flashed a grin at her. "Perhaps that is a mystery I shall learn one day." He appreciated a good mystery, after all. Perhaps it would be more fun this way.

"I see. For an Isawa, especially one who can call upon them for protection, they are a much nearer thing." Chisei gestured at the scroll case on his hip. "Through our rituals, we beseech them to protect us, and allow us to speak to the elemental spirits." He frowned thoughtfully. "Although I have wondered if we might somehow learn the language of the elemental spirits ourselves? It may be that it is impossible for a human to do."
Seppun * Former Isawa * Shugenja * Philosopher * Husbando
Carries: Scroll case, scrolls. Jade.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Sun May 24, 2020 9:24 am

Her eyes followed his movements as he patted the scroll case. Curious. Scrolls weren't something she associated with shamans or priests. "... Language of the kami? Perhaps... but don't you use blood to commune with them?"
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Sun May 24, 2020 9:46 am

"Not directly." Chisei said. "Or... not only. Part of the ritual is also calling upon the Fortunes. Part aid, part protection. Without doing that, as the Isawa perform our magic, we would not be able to speak to the Kami. It is how it has been done for generations."

He smiled. "Of course, that does not stop me from wondering if it might be done another way. Perhaps if we understood the nature of things better. Thus..." He gestured out again, "I find myself contemplating this river."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Sun May 24, 2020 9:53 am

"Hmmm..." she pondered what that might be like. Which was a bit difficult as she didn't really know what communing with the elemental spirits was like, except for what she had heard others say. And Nadare said different things than Karanoko, who in turn was different from Yuzuru.

"What do the kami like, if that's not a silly question? Like... what does the spirit of fire like? Or the spirit of air?"
Dragon • Ayakashi • Saru Daimyo • Wife of the Dragon • Storyteller • Artisan • Blessed by the Heavens • Monkey Soul • Spirit Walker • Heavenly Voice • Friend of Shinsei • Tattooed • Enlightened • Experienced Shirayuki

Theme 2Profile
Has: Padded armor, jian, bo, dancing fan, flowing robes, jade, shiny necklace, sea-shell bracelet, flute (dizi), hand-drum, painting supplies

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Sun May 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Smiling, Chisei shook his head. "It is not a silly question. Not in the least." Indeed, he looked upon her with some combination of approval and interest.

He went on. "In fact, the different elemental spirits seem to have very different personalities, as one might expect from the nature of the matter they represent. Air spirits are rather emotional and, well, flightly, appropriately enough." A soft chuckle. "They enjoy riddles, and jokes. Earth spirits are blunt and simple. Fire spirits almost aggressive, and need to be soothed with something to burn. I've known people like that, and food." Chosei was not about to use the word 'hangry'. "And water spirits are quiet and observant, and enjoy watching."

His eyebrows went up. "Of course, there is some variety among the spirits. They have distinct personalities."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Sun May 24, 2020 9:31 pm

She watched his reaction, and smiled that it seemed to be a right direction to think. "So kami are a bit like people too! They like different things, so you can't just be the same with all of them. That makes sense!"

It sounded like to her that she knew people who could fit all the four different elements. "What about the fifth element?"

Theme 2Profile

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon May 25, 2020 9:19 am

Chisei's expression grew more serious. "Not everyone knows about the fifth element. But I am not surprised that you do."

He took a deep breath, almost a sigh. "We are not sure that Void Spirits exist. One can commune with the void, or some can, but the experience they describe is a strange one. Some think the answers they receive come from the universe. Others think that they come from within."

Chisei frowned deeply, his brow furrowing. "I do not see any reason why they cannot both be right. Or wrong. But I believe that Void is what binds the other elements together. And speaking to it is speaking to the fabric that makes up everything." He sighed. "Alas, proving it is easier said than done. If you had any insights..." He gave a vague gesture with his fingers.

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon May 25, 2020 9:25 am

"My cousin, Karanoko, is someone who communes with the Void. Or rather... that's not what she calls it, but she doesn't call it spirits, like she does the other ones. It gives her small insight into the mysteries of the world." Thinking about the things Karanoko would say, Saruko shook her head.

"A lot of it didn't always make sense to many of us. It's all... rather complicated to me, but probably a lot of it's because I don't have that power at all"

Theme 2Profile

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon May 25, 2020 9:37 am

"Perhaps." Chisei said, shrugging. "But alas, there is more of a gap between being able to do a thing and understanding that thing than one might expect, sometimes."

He tilled his head, regarding her. "What do you experience when you meditate?"

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon May 25, 2020 9:42 am

"Hmmm..." Saruko tapped her chin with the tip of her index finger, thinking about what her meditations were like.

"I know some talk about a state of... no-thought, when meditating. That you clear your mind of thoughts and thinking, so you think of nothing at all. Sometimes I do that, but it's more... that I just end up there? When I sit down and close my eyes, I just let my thoughts wander. Sometimes I think about a great many things, and I understand some of them better after. And sometimes I realise that there's nothing more to think about it and I end up just, hm, drifting without thinking of anything in particular."

Theme 2Profile

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon May 25, 2020 8:21 pm

"Hmmm." Chisei rested his chin in his hands. "I ask because what you describe sounds remarkably similar to what people who can communicate with the Void have described it as."

His brow creased. "Which makes me wonder if everyone can do it, at least to some extent. And then, if we might communicate with other spirits as well. Or gain a deeper understanding of the Void."

Sighing, Chisei smiled gently. "You can see how one thought leads quickly to another. But you're right, it's better to focus on one at a time."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon May 25, 2020 10:15 pm

"You might be on to something there... because I'm quite sure I can't communicate with the Void like my cousin does." Saruko spoke softly, thinking about the possibilities that everyone actually innately had the power to speak with all the elements.

"You certainly have lots to think about now!"

Theme 2Profile

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Mon May 25, 2020 11:17 pm

"Now?" Chisei murmured, amused. After a moment, he laughed softly. "But yes. An entirely new set of questions. For which I thank you, Saruko." He said with a smile, inclining his head.

Slowly, he rose to his feet. "I think perhaps it is time for me to move about some. I often alternate between sitting and walking while thinking. I'm not sure whether exercising the body helps the mind, or if the change of scenery helps. Another question, I suppose."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Mon May 25, 2020 11:39 pm

"The body houses our immortal souls, so it only makes sense that we must care for it as much as we care for our souls," she nodded sagely. "But yeah, it sounds like it's time to get up and move about. There's much to be done today, to prepare for the journey."

Theme 2Profile

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Tue May 26, 2020 3:19 am

"Indeed, on both counts." Narrowing his eyes, Chisei studied her curiously. "We should speak again sometime, Saruko-san. I think we could learn a lot from each other."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue May 26, 2020 3:27 am

"There is always much to learn from others, Chisei-san," she nodded, "I'd love to talk some more later."

Theme 2Profile

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Tue May 26, 2020 3:29 am

"Than we shall do so." Chisei said. "Seek me out sometime, while we journey together." He smiled. "Or perhaps I shall seek you out. It seems to me that I owe you one surprise. Perhaps I shall manage it." His teeth flashed as he grinned.

He hesitated a moment. "And... you should meet my wife, too. I would like that."

Togashi Saruko

Post by Togashi Saruko » Tue May 26, 2020 3:32 am

She grinned, mischief glinting in her eyes. "I look forward to a surprise. And I'd like to meet your wife during the journey too. It seems there is much to look forward to." As we march towards darkness.

"In the meantime, be safe, Chisei-san!"

Theme 2Profile

Seppun Chisei

Post by Seppun Chisei » Tue May 26, 2020 8:33 am

"There is." Chisei said, smiling back. If there was any dark though in his mind to match hers, he didn't show it.

"You too, Saruko-san." And then, with one last bow, he strode away, although he did cast one curious glance over his shoulder as he walked, his brow furrowed.

/scene!

Return to “Seidou River”