[LE D1] Fish Do Not Sleep (open)

Yogo

[LE D1] Fish Do Not Sleep (open)

Post by Yogo » Wed May 20, 2020 2:08 am

A small fire burned by the Seidou river, a hunched figure sitting by the fire. The figure huddled his knees, holding a long rod between his legs, a thin line running from the tip of the rod into the water, a piece of bark gently floating on the almost still surface. Occasionally the figure, clad in a reed cloak, would tug the rod, the piece of bark bobbing up and down. It was dark outside, but the air was still pleasant. After some time, the figure began to hum a wordless song, his voice soft. Anyone listening could tell that the man - for the voice was low and mellow- had hard time hitting notes.
Unaliged • Shoji Tribe • Shugenja • Fire • Traveler
Description
Carries: Worn sword, satchel, knife.

Wu

Re: [LE D1] Fish Do Not Sleep (open)

Post by Wu » Wed May 20, 2020 3:15 am

There was a break in the monotonous droning of the nearby forest's natural sounds. A brief silence could be noticed before everything was to resume as it was.

Well, almost

Frantic steps could be heard comming closer, and fast. Soon a young buck could be seen exiting the foliage but he did not go far, collapsing on the ground several paces away from the fisherman. The reason was obvious: a throwing spear was jutting out of it's torso. The weapon had pierced deep, dooming the animal on impact and making it's escape futile.

A few moments after the buck fell ,a man wearing a rugged green kimono with a dragon pattern on it's back exited the forest holding a strange spear. He walked calmly to the dying beast and removed the spear.

+3 Provision Points from Hunting (Wu)
Dragon Clan - Daimyo of the Wu - Black sheep of the Isawa tribe - Bushi - Spearman - Sage - Enlightened - Experienced
Equipment : In town: Ryu-yari, sturdy clothing. Outside : bronze and leather armor, Ryu-yari, Nage-Yari, Yumi

Yogo

Post by Yogo » Wed May 20, 2020 3:55 am

Yogo turned to look at the running deer, uttering a single wor when it fell down. Figuring that someone had had to cast the spear that had slain the animal, he dropped his rod, turning to look around with the fire behind his back as if not to blind himself. Soon a man in green appeared from the darkness. "That's a strange fish." The figure called out, his tone brimming with mirth. "Well thrown, stranger. "
Description

Wu

Post by Wu » Wed May 20, 2020 5:01 am

Wu turned, searching for the origin of the voice. He noticed the fire easy enough but the darkening skies and the play of early shadows made it difficult for him to see the man's face.

''Thank you'' he replied as he knelt behind the animal ''My apologies if I have disturbed your catch''
Dragon Clan - Daimyo of the Wu - Black sheep of the Isawa tribe - Bushi - Spearman - Sage - Enlightened - Experienced
Equipment : In town: Ryu-yari, sturdy clothing. Outside : bronze and leather armor, Ryu-yari, Nage-Yari, Yumi

Yogo

Post by Yogo » Wed May 20, 2020 5:12 am

"Well, the fish wasn't biting well anyway." he shrugged, sighing softly. "Come to the fire, you'll see better to skin your 'fish'." the dark-clad figure added, jesting. "Name is Yogo. Here for the expedition, like the others." Having met many of the people joining the grand adventure, he had figured out that most people here were part of the expedition, one way or another. "You chose a queer time for hunting. Hard to see things out here." He walked back to the fire, the bone charms rattling softly. "You have to have pretty good eyes!"
Description

Wu

Post by Wu » Wed May 20, 2020 9:28 am

''A good ear'' he corrected ''It is harder to fool the ear then it is the eye''

Before continuing he bowed to the beast in respect, whispering a prayer in it's ear before ending it's suffering

''I am Wu, disciple of Togashi-no-Kami. I thank you for your invitation and will gladly accept.''

Ko

Post by Ko » Wed May 20, 2020 10:52 am

The two men would hear splashing out of tune with the usual river-sounds as a figure in pale undyed homespun kilted up above her knees came wading down the pebbly shallows at the very edge of the river, well in from the dangerous current. She--by height and build a 'she,' anyway--was whistling something as she sloshed along, but when she rounded a bend and suddenly found herself approaching the two men and their fire, she fell quiet and waved, pressing a hand to her heart with fingers splayed in what would seem to be a greeting gesture.
Shore People ✖ 'Bushi? That sounds right' ✖ Stone-tool-user ✖ Awkward ✖ On A Quest
Status: 1.0 ✖ Glory: 1.0 ✖ Reputation: Bad, real bad ✖ Character description

Wears: Simple clothing, pearl and coral jewelry, copper coin bracelet; light armor when expecting danger.
Carries: Walking staff or yumi (or both); knives; jade, pack with misc fishing & survival tools and small daily items. Warclub (tetsubo) when needed.

Yogo

Post by Yogo » Wed May 20, 2020 1:24 pm

Wu wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:28 am
''A good ear'' he corrected ''It is harder to fool the ear then it is the eye''

Before continuing he bowed to the beast in respect, whispering a prayer in it's ear before ending it's suffering

''I am Wu, disciple of Togashi-no-Kami. I thank you for your invitation and will gladly accept.''
"It's probably even harder to throw by the ear." The young man chuckled. "I know I wouldn't be able to spear a fish based on the sound." He added, jesting. "Yogo, of the Shoji. Well me, Wu of the Togashi." Sitting down, he beckoned the hunter towards the small fire.

Ko wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:52 am
The two men would hear splashing out of tune with the usual river-sounds as a figure in pale undyed homespun kilted up above her knees came wading down the pebbly shallows at the very edge of the river, well in from the dangerous current. She--by height and build a 'she,' anyway--was whistling something as she sloshed along, but when she rounded a bend and suddenly found herself approaching the two men and their fire, she fell quiet and waved, pressing a hand to her heart with fingers splayed in what would seem to be a greeting gesture.
Seeing the figure in the river wave their arm, Yogo replied in kind, waving his hand in the air. "You can come too, stranger." The presumably female figure wasn't carrying a weapon in her hands and since Yogo had not seen much of the world, he had little reason to doubt anyone willing to greet him first. So far the only person who had tried to stab him had told he he was going to do that. Since the figure in the river was not yelling bloody murder, he figured her to be friendly. "They call me Yogo. This man here is Wu. He throws spears by the ear." Both Ko and Wu himself could hear the mirth in his tone.
Description

Ko

Post by Ko » Thu May 21, 2020 12:39 am

By the...ear? Ko had already discovered the inland people used some idioms that weren't familiar to her. She'd learned a few, but maybe this was a new one? She shrugged slightly and waded closer, bare toes finding deft purchase on the river rocks. "Greetings to you, Wu and Yogo. I name myself Ko."

She reached a low spot in the bank and hopped up to dry ground, not minding the dirt that immediately stuck to her wet feet. "Thank you for your fire." It was a warm night, but fire was still comforting. She padded closer and plopped down, legs crossed.
Shore People ✖ 'Bushi? That sounds right' ✖ Stone-tool-user ✖ Awkward ✖ On A Quest

Wears: Simple clothing, pearl and coral jewelry, copper coin bracelet; light armor when expecting danger.
Carries: Walking staff or yumi (or both); knives; jade, pack with misc fishing & survival tools and small daily items. Warclub (tetsubo) when needed.

Yogo

Post by Yogo » Thu May 21, 2020 1:46 am

"Ko." The young man bobbed his head, the bird skulls on his necklace rattling against each other. As Ko came closer she could see that the man who had caller to had a mangy hair that likely had not seen a comb in months. His skin was clean though, suggesting that while he didn't really care for his hair, he at least bathed. Reaching for his rod, Yogo cast his line again. "You were looking for the fish too?" Having seen his father and several other villagers catch fish with their bare hands, this seemed like the most logical explanation.

The small fire crackled happily, the flames dancing on the small twigs that made up the fire, sparks floating into the sky above. Occasionally the wind would stir the flames, the spirits cackling happily, their jubilant cries bringing a faint smile on Yogo's lips.
Description

Ko

Post by Ko » Thu May 21, 2020 3:02 am

"I was." Ko nodded, then, with a slight shake of her head, explained further. "Not to catch. The Crab gave me supper. And I'm leaving with the others tomorrow, there'd be no time to preserve them. I just want to see what's here." On here, she patted the ground beside her. Her smile was a little sheepish. It was hard to get used to being an outsider, from-somewhere-else.

Wu

Post by Wu » Thu May 21, 2020 3:11 am

The Spearman finished his prayers to the buck, something he took his time with, before lifting it by the legs and moving towards the fire. He did not come too close, opting to go a pace or two along the river, for is business was a gruesome one.

''Good evening Ko...''

As he laid down the deer again, he could not help but notice the particuliarities of the river in the spot where Yogo was fishing.

''...I afraid not many fishes will be caught in this spot using a rod.'' he finished before turning his attention to the other two ''So we are all here for the expedition? Interesting.''

Yogo

Post by Yogo » Thu May 21, 2020 3:22 am

Ko wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:02 am
"I was." Ko nodded, then, with a slight shake of her head, explained further. "Not to catch. The Crab gave me supper. And I'm leaving with the others tomorrow, there'd be no time to preserve them. I just want to see what's here." On here, she patted the ground beside her. Her smile was a little sheepish. It was hard to get used to being an outsider, from-somewhere-else.
"Me." the young man wiggled his rod, the piece of park plopping up and down on the still water. "I mean, I got food too, but well. There isn't much to do here and well, there's never too much food, is there?" He offered Ko a friendly grin. "So, you saw fish? I think river this big should have some."

Wu wrote:The Spearman finished his prayers to the buck, something he took his time with, before lifting it by the legs and moving towards the fire. He did not come too close, opting to go a pace or two along the river, for is business was a gruesome one.

''Good evening Ko...''

As he laid down the deer again, he could not help but notice the particuliarities of the river in the spot where Yogo was fishing.

''...I afraid not many fishes will be caught in this spot using a rod.'' he finished before turning his attention to the other two ''So we are all here for the expedition? Interesting.''
"Sounds like it. I mean, I guess if you aren't local you are here for the expedition." Logic dictated as much. "Unless you are peddler or something." With everyone packing things, everybody looked like a peddler. "I met Nanzi of the Crane today. He seemed to know a lot about the whole thing." Yogo waved his hand in the general direction of the south.
Description

Wu

Post by Wu » Thu May 21, 2020 3:48 am

''Nanzi is more a peacock then a crane by nature if not by clan...I am sure he seemed to know many things indeed.'' Wu with half a smirk

''But unless you both joined the expedition blindly you may very well know just as much...just with less words.''

Yogo

Post by Yogo » Thu May 21, 2020 4:05 am

"Dunno." Yogo shrugged, entirely oblivious to the tone. "He told me how the Kami fell on earth and what happened to the Divine Being we are going to rescue. I had no idea." he admitted, still tugging his rod. "Well, actually, I just heard that Divine Beings were heading south to save their brother. Sounded like an adventure to me!" The fisherman sounded all sorts of eager. "I've spent way too many years in a small village to let a chance like this pass."
Description

Wu

Post by Wu » Thu May 21, 2020 4:29 am

''Adventure, yes...dangerous also yes.'' Wu frowned ''One must be wary of the dangers our road takes us to...The god Fu Leng is trapped somewhere foul beyond mortal scope.''

Yogo

Post by Yogo » Thu May 21, 2020 4:34 am

"Well, we have two Kami with us. And seeing what they have done here and at the capital, what could go wrong? Surely the two would not march to their demise, if they knew there was no hope?" He was all sorts of optimistic. Turning to other shaggy figure, he added. "Say, Ko. Have you heard about these Kami?"
Description

Ch'jak'matt

Post by Ch'jak'matt » Thu May 21, 2020 4:56 am

There were heavy footfalls, and the sound of metal jingling, scrapping against each other. Out in the shadows a huge shape resolved itself, moving forward, not trying to be stealthy. If one could make it out, there was something large over his shoulder, but his stance was not aggressive. There would be a shock as he came into the light though. A hair over eight feet tall, it was one of the nezumi that lived to the south, in the direction they were going. His armor was of a craftsmanship that was almost unheard of, and heavy. Overlapping plates of iron that coveredf his body. He paused as he entered the light, looking at the three manthings gathered, pausing in his chewing on of what looked like perhaps the root of a bush.
Ch'jak'matt
Warrior * Nezumi * LARGE (8'1") * Disturbing Countenance
Carries: Ornate Ono, Heavy Armor, Yumi w/ quiver.]

Axe Rat of Rat-Rat Heavy Weapon Squad

Yogo

Post by Yogo » Thu May 21, 2020 5:09 am

"Shite." the young man swore, dropping his rod as he pointed at the all too tall rodent. "Rat Man." It was an astute observation in many ways. "What do you want?" he asked the creature, somehow assuming it could speak is language.
Description

Ko

Post by Ko » Thu May 21, 2020 5:11 am

Yogo wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:34 am
"Well, we have two Kami with us. And seeing what they have done here and at the capital, what could go wrong? Surely the two would not march to their demise, if they knew there was no hope?" He was all sorts of optimistic. Turning to other shaggy figure, he added. "Say, Ko. Have you heard about these Kami?"
"A little." Ko had nodded vaguely when asked about fish--there were certainly some there, though little and few by her standards. The two men both seemed much more articulate than she was, so she'd been content to let them chatter away until she was addressed. "I heard from someone who couldn't go to meet them, so she asked me to go instead, and said I would find several of them here because of their brother. In the bath a person said some of them married human women!" Ko bobbed her head, running fingers through her hair--in the firelight it could be seen to be a bit damp, so that bath might have been pretty recent.

Then she tensed, and in an instant a knife with a glittering blade of knapped stone was in her hand. "What's that? In the woods--oh." Her adrenaline was still pumping and it was hard to let the knifepoint drop. "I didn't know you rat people grew so big."

The one in the bath had been so little and cute!

Return to “Seidou River”