[LE 1 - Soft Beds are for Pansies] (Open)

Nozomi

[LE 1 - Soft Beds are for Pansies] (Open)

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 1:55 am

Phi had taken one look at those damned guest rooms and had the decency to remember to thank the locals for the offer. But the thought of that claustrophobic space with nothing but an arrow slit to look out of was probably one of the most unpleasant images she could think of right then. She'd left and asked around, before one of the locals told her of a nearby patch where some of the pack guards were going to be bunked down with this many people around. She could pitch a tent there if she preferred.

And so, that was what she was doing. She'd cleared the ground flat enough for her idea of comfort, and the sound of a tent peg being pounded into the firm soil within sight of the fields, but out of the wet of the patties, could be heard. What? Not everyone liked soft beds.
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Ch’chit T’kkiri

Re: [LE 1 - Soft Beds are for Pansies] (Open)

Post by Ch’chit T’kkiri » Wed May 20, 2020 2:33 am

As the masked woman continued setting up her tent there came a rustling from the woods just beyond the open space where she was establishing her base.

A few moments later a large Brave-Warrior-Who-Remembers (Nezumi) came out of the woods with a rope on his shoulder... and at the other end of the rope, a large boar's legs were tied together as it hung in the air.

He walked up close to the human making her tent and stopped to sniff the air.

----

Event Hunting Roll. 3 points.
Ratling | Never Lost | Disturbing Countenance | Painful Bite | Fearless | Favorite Pup
Niche: 4.5 | Chieftain Class
Description
Possessions: Spiked Big Stick (Tetsubo), Yumi, Sturdy Clothes, Light Armor, Traveling Pack

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 2:45 am

There was a momentary tension. The hood turned to the side and one hand rested on a blunt instrument at her waist. She scanned the creature that approached her, eyes boring straight into it. Suspicion lurked and then she saw the boar and her fingers relaxed. She nodded and shifted to partially face the ratling.

"You are one of the ... people of south of here, aren't you?" there was a hint of unsureness there. She did have a fraction of knowledge of those parts, but it was a fraction, and had been focused on one specific issue above all others. Nezumi weren't in the few lectures she'd gotten out of Reiko before they'd parted ways long before now. "Phi." As she said it, she pulled a small statue of what looked like a man out of her pack and set it down at the front of the tent. The man wore a mask over his face like she did in the sculpture.
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Ch’chit T’kkiri

Post by Ch’chit T’kkiri » Wed May 20, 2020 2:48 am

The Brave Warrior looked to the smaller woman and set the boar on the ground with a thud. " 'Fee'? You no smell like smelly-seidou. You part of save fallen rock-man pack?"
Ratling | Never Lost | Disturbing Countenance | Painful Bite | Fearless | Favorite Pup
Description
Possessions: Spiked Big Stick (Tetsubo), Yumi, Sturdy Clothes, Light Armor, Traveling Pack

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 2:52 am

Give her a second, there, brave warrior.

She looked at him, squinting in a way that said 'what the fuck did it just say?' Ok, it spoke. She could get that, and it knew the Seidou. Pack? Pack, like as in wolves? She parsed it with difficulty and then nodded, her gravelly tone only momentarily hesitant. "Yes, Phi. Your kind have a strange way of talking, but no. Not Seidou. Hikaru, farther that way." She gestured to the north. "In the mountains. Came down to join the pack, yes. And you?"

Ch’chit T’kkiri

Post by Ch’chit T’kkiri » Wed May 20, 2020 3:00 am

Such primitive means of communication in this one... Don't even seem to understand the basic word for 'North' in their own dialect. It is certainly no wonder they are helplessly in need of a proper guide to ensure that they arrive at their desired location.

He replied, "I am Ch'chit T'kkiri. I come from south, yes." He pointed in the direction. "That way. Far-far."

He squinted slightly, "I am tchick... 'guide'... for your help-fallen-rock-man pack."
Description

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 3:04 am

She squinted. Fuck her. That ... ok, it was a rat. Of course it sounded like it was clicking and squeaking and strangling a cat all at once when it said something in its own language. And, despite the fact that she usually didn't bother, it was obvious she'd been taught to try to be polite wit strangers. She just wasn't the best at it. A breath in and out. "Forgive me, but I will call you Tchick," she said after a second. "And leave it at that. My tongue will have trouble with your language. Good, though. A local guide in the south will be needed. I don't trust the Seido south fo the river."

She didn't actually trust the Seido as far as she could throw them as a tribe, but she didn't trust anyone. "I'm a tracker and hunter as well, but I do not know these lands."

Ch’chit T’kkiri

Post by Ch’chit T’kkiri » Wed May 20, 2020 3:12 am

He looked the woman up and down once after she said she was a hunter.

"Should no trust Seidou anywhere..." He replied first, then continued.

"Name is Ch'chit T'kkiri. Good Name. Brave-Warrior-of-Black-Moonset... tchick only T'ach-cht... one-place-in-world." He explained in the simplest form he could manage for the hairless-one.

"But only T'ach-cht for help-fallen-rock-man pack. Different in home."
Description

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 3:18 am

She nodded. In the sense that she understood what the explanation meant, she could be said to understand it. She tapped her lips through the veil as she thought about it. What was her role, if they gave her one? Oh yes. The last time she had seen the inside of a town that wasn't Hikaru, they'd called her 'Rappa.' Ruffian, troublemaker. Yes, that was right. No point actually saying that, though.

"What you are, your role, is an important thing. You have one. You have purpose. People need purpose, or they become nothing but wanderers blown upon the wind." A grunt and she glanced away. "Phi, in my birth place's tongue, means 'Ghost.' I suppose you could say I look for a place? What better spot than in a pack with purpose to begin with?"

Ch’chit T’kkiri

Post by Ch’chit T’kkiri » Wed May 20, 2020 3:28 am

He nodded in response. "Place important. No place lead to madness."

He then tilted his head, "Not all purpose good. Shiny purple human... Shinjo-one-who-brings-life... She has purpose. Save 'friend' and brother. But risk so much to do so. Not make sense. Fallen-rock-man should escape himself... much pain to help him."
Description

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 3:31 am

"People are strange. I've heard they will do a great many things for the sake of their blood kin." The way she said it, it was definitely with a hint of 'I wouldn't know about that.' "There is a lot of risk, I'm sure. A wrong move, and we're all dead in a ditch. Not my plan, but I know better than to pretend it couldn't happen. But the only way to get someone's attention is to take some risks sometimes."

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Wed May 20, 2020 3:37 am

Miyako had wandered around a bit looking for a dry place for her to pitch her tent for the evening; as inviting as the rooms had been described to her, so many strangers packed into so small of a space was a bit of a turn-off compared to the wonders of the open skies and the stars above. She wandered around the farmlands a bit, picking up some campfire materials and looking for a dry spot upon which she might make camp and set her head down for the evening. A couple of voices drew her curiosity and she stepped towards their direction openly so as not to sound like she was sneaking up on them, all until she came upon a familiar one - and a very, very unfamiliar Ratling, or so she assumed based on the descriptions she had been given of them earlier that day.

"Ah, hello again, Phi. Do you have room here that one might pitch a tent besides? If it matters, I come bearing wood for a fire." She carried in her arms what appeared to be three, perhaps even four decently-sized logs, and a bunch of smaller sticks and twigs as well, and as she awaited response she looked over at the Nezumi. "And... good evening to you as well." Good evening? Is that something they said? Or cared about? A good a greeting as any, considering the circumstances of coming across an unfamiliar creature.
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child
Status: 0.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: Normal / What is Expected

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Ch’chit T’kkiri

Post by Ch’chit T’kkiri » Wed May 20, 2020 3:40 am

"Get attention? Get-get attention no good reason for die." He replied. "Sacrifice whole pack for one rock-man is no wise."
Description

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 3:44 am

"Oh, the only one who wants attention is me. Just something related to my seeking a purpose. I doubt anyone but me is at risk for that," she said before turning and nodding. "Miyako. Yes, there's space. Plenty of it. Most of them are cozy in their little wooden death trap over that way. I wouldn't say no to a fire, as long as we douse it before long." The Chinsei, was it? She remembered her.

"This is..." And she turned towards the creature again, trying and failing. "A Tcheck for us, a guide to the south. I apologize. I am going to have trouble with your people's names. I know it, and I don't want to get it wrong."

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Wed May 20, 2020 3:58 am

"That won't be a problem - didn't bring enough to get it roaring, just enough for a little light until I get good and tired." With a nod, Miyako found a dry patch of dirt upon which she dumped the logs and sticks to the ground before she slung off her traveling pack and set it to the side. She crouched down to start arranging the logs into a much neater pile and weave the sticks and twigs in and around the logs for an even burn once the time came.

"Tcheck?" She seemed to struggle pronouncing whatever it was Phi was trying to say. "Ah, a guide, I see. Well, that is good. Does one guide alone, or are there many others that are guiding as well?" she asked aloud while continuing to work with the sticks and twigs.
Chinsei Tribe * Hunter (Bushi) * Herbalist * Storyteller * Singer * Pleasant-Voiced * Sharp-Eyed? * Talkative! * Night Child

Speaking * Signing
Equipment: Light armor, sturdy clothing, wide-brimmed straw hat, straw cloak, yari, yumi, quiver, water and rations, traveling pack
Profile!

Ch’chit T’kkiri

Post by Ch’chit T’kkiri » Wed May 20, 2020 8:02 am

“Name Ch’chit T’kkirI.” He repeated. He was beginning to realize these poor creatures had no concept of the importance of Name. Perhaps they didn’t even know their own true names.

“More Brave-Warriors-Who-Remember also come, yes.”
Description

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 8:24 am

Oh... she knew, but her choice not to get it wrong could easily be misunderstood as an unwillingness to learn. It was just hard to say that blasted name. Her tongue didn't like all the clicking. Admittedly? His guess was right. Phi wasn't her birth name, or even the name her adopted parents had given her. She couldn't remember that anymore.

"There will probably be argument," she grunted, a sour look on her face under the linen. "But it is probably very good that we have you here on this. Get lost in the wilderness and die without a proper guide."

Miyako

Post by Miyako » Wed May 20, 2020 8:31 am

"Have any tribes even been that far south, if even to migrate for a season or so?" Miyako asked curiously as she moved over to her pack to fetch her flint and tinder to get the fire started now that she was done arranging the wood.

"None of the traders that have passed through the Chinsei forests have ever really spoken of lands that far southward at least - maybe acknowledgment that it is there, but at least none I've heard have said anything about being there." She starts working with the flint and tinder, sending down sparks onto the pile in a particular spot and blowing lightly to get the embers glowing a bit hotter to try and catch.

Speaking * Signing
Profile!

Ch’chit T’kkiri

Post by Ch’chit T’kkiri » Wed May 20, 2020 8:39 am

“No hairless-ones go south from here. Land belong to Brave-Warriors-Who-Remember. It is our home.” He replied.
Description

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 am

"I certainly haven't heard of any." A shake of her head. "But I will be blunt. We stick to the Spine. It is our home. We don't come down unless it's to get supplies usually. And since the Scorpion took the pass, we've been further removed. More remote, where we like it." Nobody wanted those lands. Nobody.

"So, what is beyond the river. Yours? Or further south?"

Return to “Surrounding Farmlands”