(D1, LA) The price of things

Jiyo Ayumu

(D1, LA) The price of things

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Thu May 21, 2020 5:30 pm

Eyeing some kind of peddler or shop with jade on display, Ayumu was reminded of something he was told this very morning. As of now, it sounded to him more like a superstition than anything else, a wrongly understood and incorrectly repeated spiritual parabola having evolved into a ritual void of true magic. But in a land with walking gods, it would be wrong to dismiss anything as a mere story.

And what did he have to lose with a simple inquiry anyway?

"Hello. Excuse me. Do you sell jade charms?"
Imperial | Former Isawa | Bushi | Artisan | Skeletal
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver
Status: 1.0 | Glory: 1.0 | Reputation: What Is Expected | Description

Inga

Re: (D1, LA) The price of things

Post by Inga » Fri May 22, 2020 2:20 am

Inga decided that might as well try to get a few more things. She noted the trinket store and decided to have a peak. "Interesting!"
♧Shoji tribe ♧Bushi ♧Unlucky ♧Daredevil ♧Superstitious ♧Fortune Teller ♧Haunted ♧ Very Unfortunate
♧Glory: 1 ♧Reputation: Untrustworthy ♧Status:1

Equipment: Bow, quiver, Light armor, Finger of Jade, Tanto,

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Fri May 22, 2020 3:10 am

"Hello. Are you the shop owner?"
Outfit in camp: No weapon, no trinket (D1-D7), jade (D9+) | On patrol: Light armor, yari, bronze sword, yumi + quiver

Inga

Post by Inga » Fri May 22, 2020 3:14 am

Inga blinked a few times. "No... I am Inga a traveler for the expedition." She smiled.
♧Shoji tribe ♧Bushi ♧Unlucky ♧Daredevil ♧Superstitious ♧Fortune Teller ♧Haunted ♧ Very Unfortunate

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Fri May 22, 2020 3:24 am

"Oh, sorry. I saw the raw jade around your neck and misinterpreted as a sign you were part of this city jade industry.

I'm Ayumu. We'll soon be travel companions. Nice to meet you."

Inga

Post by Inga » Fri May 22, 2020 3:40 am

Inga smiled. "This is a gift. Baba Nana gave to me. She taught me about the spirits, specially about The spirits that we might encounter." Inga nodded looking at the trinkets. "And what about you? What are you looking for?"

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Fri May 22, 2020 3:48 am

"I don't know yet. Some other member of the expedition told me a story about protective charms made of jade, and I got curious. You seem quite knowledgeable on that subject, would be so kind as to give me a few pointers?"

Inga

Post by Inga » Fri May 22, 2020 4:00 am

Inga chuckled. "I know a thing or two but the spirit talkers may know more." She nodded. "But I can tell you that the realm is not evil but chaotic. We are basically the middle ground. The jade keeps the chaotic spirit calm."

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Fri May 22, 2020 4:17 am

"The jade itself? Does it trap the anger somehow? Does it need to be forge into a specific form to work, like a box? Or is it more of a totem thing? Like, a statue made of jade pushes back wrong intent around it up to a certain distance? Does it require additional incantations? Are a priest words needed for the charm to work?"

Inga

Post by Inga » Fri May 22, 2020 4:41 am

Inga tried to remember. "It has to be purified... as for shape...? She pursed her lips. "I think mostly go into animals and things that might grant you luck... I really don't know what happens to the spirits." The Shoji chuckled. "You have a lot of questions. Maybe you should slow them down a little."

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Fri May 22, 2020 5:08 am

"You're right. Please accept my apology. The spiritual side of this whole expedition has me confused sometimes. I'm not sure I truly understand all of its stakes on the non-material level. I feel like I'm missing a few very important keys to truly comprehend the whole thing.

Let's begin anew. You know of my motives to be there at this very place at this very moment. Do you yourself search for something in particular?"

Inga

Post by Inga » Fri May 22, 2020 5:14 am

"Oh... I am looking for lucky charms. And maybe new materials for divination." Inga looked at some of the things. "I can always use some new things."Have you talked to spirit talkers?"

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Fri May 22, 2020 5:23 am

"Yes. And no.

Yes, in absolute. The Imperial Consort is a spirit talker, and a lot of Shiba's entourage partake in that trade.

No, in the close past. The past days have been quite busy with the trip here and a lot of last minute very practical tasks.

I'm curious about what objects you use for your divinations. Seems they are a lot of different schools in that regard. I've only studied the movements of the stars myself."

Inga

Post by Inga » Fri May 22, 2020 5:44 am

"I see..." Inga picked a small shell. "I use various trinkets... mostly bones sticks and shells. They have their own spirits. Each can call you out. The stars are reliable but they can only be seen at night." She placed it back.

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Fri May 22, 2020 3:00 pm

"I'll confess I'm more interested in the movements of the stars as a dance than as a book. I enjoy it, but I don't put much effort into deciphering it.

You seem to have acute knowledge of the spirits. Could it be that you're a priest or a priest in training?"

Inga

Post by Inga » Fri May 22, 2020 10:37 pm

Inga shook her head. "I am no shaman in training. My teacher ... well... that is another story. Nor I am into the gods and demons things. I am more into the why spirits decide to linger in the surroundings of the living human and... well try to push to a certain path." The girl smiled at the Jiyo. "There are forces around us that cannot be seen. They push you to do certain things... like it or not."

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Fri May 22, 2020 11:26 pm

"This conversation echoes one I had with another jade bearer, and raises a question in mind. You say these forces push us a certain way. Does that us equate us, mere humans, or does it embrace all beings, spirits and gods included?

On a more practical level, from the noise they make, I feel like the merchant knows we're here, but that they're dead set in not leaving their backroom, in a strangely passive-aggressive maneuver. I wonder what we did to deserve such disdain."

Inga

Post by Inga » Fri May 22, 2020 11:43 pm

"I think it has to do with pleasing. Perhaps to let them reach a better place." Inga sighed. "As for the disdain... well not many have a reputable notion of good deeds." As she remembers some of her less fortunate days.

Jiyo Ayumu

Post by Jiyo Ayumu » Sat May 23, 2020 12:22 pm

There was something... off about this last exchange. As if Inga was talking about something else entirely.

Ayumu didn't pry though. The moment wasn't right for that.

Maybe later would be?

Inga

Post by Inga » Sat May 23, 2020 8:53 pm

She looked at the trinkets and found something that the Jiyo might like, a jade pendant "This seems right for you."

Return to “Courtyard”