[Day 1 LM] Animal Housing Area (open)

Jin Mizuku

[Day 1 LM] Animal Housing Area (open)

Post by Jin Mizuku » Wed May 20, 2020 12:33 pm

Mizuku was surprised by the amount of people running around in the courtyard. She was glad she had left Faru in her room at the guest house. She wasn't sure how best to be helpful, so she climbed up the column attached to the building to be able to see above the crowd. She easily pulled herself up, climbing about 10 feet high. She looked out over the courtyard and found the chaos didn't start or end anywhere. The entire courtyard was full of people, some throwing bags of what she imagined was probably food and supplies on wagons, while others were getting orders and heading out of the courtyard, likely going hunting or gathering. Across the way she saw the animal housing area. She easily climbed down, so quick that it was more like graceful falling. She made her way to the animals. She started to check on them, checking each one for signs of sickness or disease.

((Open for encounters))

[Day 1 LM] Animal House Area Athletics to climb column on building to be able to see animal house Strength 4 + 2 Athletics: 6d10o10k4 36

[Day 1 LM] Animal Housing Area Checking animals for sickness Int 3 + Animal Handling 2: 5d10o10k3 33
Last edited by Jin Mizuku on Wed May 20, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jin Muzuku - "Bring them here, I'll heal em' "

Ki-Rin * Shugenja * Jin Family * Status 1 * Glory 2 * Reputation 1

Don't mind Faru, he's my loyal pet falcon

Canary

Re: [Day 1 LM] Animal Housing Area (open)

Post by Canary » Wed May 20, 2020 12:40 pm

Mizuku doesn't notice any sickness, but she does notice that one of the oxen is behaving a little more aggressively than usual.
GM + Bird + Glorious Plumage + Experienced

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Wed May 20, 2020 3:15 pm

Son of a bitch, no wonder the Seidou think they need slaves, they couldn't organize a bowel movement if this mess is anything to go by.

Sora headed for the animal pens, less because he thought he might be useful, and more because the smell kept at least some of the people away.

Speaking of bowel movements.

He certainly didn't know enough oxen- something never seen in the Hikaru lands- to notice the bull's irritability as opposed to the rest of them.

He knew, from his time traveling with Shiba, that these weren't just weird shaven yaks or anything of the kind, but his interest in the beasts was pretty limited.
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

As of Late Night, Day 7, has a servant- a young woman named Kinyôbi

Jin Mizuku

Post by Jin Mizuku » Thu May 21, 2020 1:15 am

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:15 pm
He certainly didn't know enough oxen- something never seen in the Hikaru lands- to notice the bull's irritability as opposed to the rest of them.

He knew, from his time traveling with Shiba, that these weren't just weird shaven yaks or anything of the kind, but his interest in the beasts was pretty limited.
Mizuku was studying the aggressive oxen from the gate as to try and see if the behavior was human induced or if it was aggresive toward its own kind, which they would need to keep an eye on for the trip to go smoothly. A man was walking close to the pen, and she didn't like the way the oxen was acting toward the edge of the fence.

"I'd move away from the fence if I were you. This one's seem to be looking for a fight."

Ko

Post by Ko » Thu May 21, 2020 2:55 am

Unlike Sora, Ko was quite transfixed by the oxen. They were a little bit like deer, but... deer crossed with bears? Or with particularly bulky sea lions? She'd seen them at work in the fields she'd passed on her journey here, as tame as dogs despite their size, but never had a chance to watch them penned up like this. She'd already done what she could to barter her fresh rabbits and bamboo shoots for dried supplies, and no one seemed very interested in her advice for packing it all up (nor, probably, should they be--she could only guess at how to load up the pack beasts these people used), so she'd drifted over to the pens to watch the monstrous animals, lips slightly parted in fascination.

"How can you tell?" she asked, when Mizuku's advice broke through her reverie. "Do they fight? That other Seidou said they are tame."

--
Sticking these here...
D1 Expedition event-- Commerce/Int, TN 20, VP for 1k1: 3d10 26
D1 Expedition event-- Courtier, lolz. TN20. VP for skill, -1k0 for disad: 2d10o10 8
Shore People ✖ 'Bushi? That sounds right' ✖ Stone-tool-user ✖ Awkward ✖ On A Quest
Status: 1.0 ✖ Glory: 1.0 ✖ Reputation: Bad, real bad ✖ Character description

Wears: Simple clothing, pearl and coral jewelry, copper coin bracelet; light armor when expecting danger.
Carries: Walking staff or yumi (or both); knives; jade, pack with misc fishing & survival tools and small daily items. Warclub (tetsubo) when needed.

Canary

Post by Canary » Thu May 21, 2020 3:42 am

Jin Mizuku wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:15 am
Mizuku was studying the aggressive oxen from the gate as to try and see if the behavior was human induced or if it was aggresive toward its own kind, which they would need to keep an eye on for the trip to go smoothly. A man was walking close to the pen, and she didn't like the way the oxen was acting toward the edge of the fence.

"I'd move away from the fence if I were you. This one's seem to be looking for a fight."
There it seems to be aggressive toward others who would approach it in general, rather than to humans or other oxen in particular, though it's a bit moreso to others of its own kind. Looking at it more closely and next to the rest of the animals, it seems... slightly fatter than the others? Or is that extra fat?

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Thu May 21, 2020 3:47 am

"Well, far be it from me to pick a fight with some Seidou's property."

He backed away from the fence, training his oracular eye on the thing.

Huh. Look at that.
ImperialAssassin and Babysitter • Experienced • Bushi • Evil Eye • (The Worst) Sage (in Rokugan) Team Hikaru • Disturbing Countenance • Willow • Blessed by Fukurokujin

Wears: Either a very simple kimono in Imperial colors or light armor strapped on over Hikaru garb and facepaint.
Carries: An array of weaponry, some traveling rations, a couple of lightweight trade goods, and some dried flower petals.

Hanzou

Post by Hanzou » Thu May 21, 2020 9:27 am

"Screesh, I knew there'd be a lot of people. But, this many? How the cheerch are so many going to go?" The boy shook his head as he muttered to himself.

Someone had mentioned bringing animals, so he decided to see what they'd be dealing with. When he saw the oxen, he shook his head again. It didn't add up. Why would you bring them?

- - -
Packing for the Expedition, [Day 1 LM] Animal Housing Area, What do we need?, Commerce (Mathematics)/Intelligence TN 20, Untrained, VP +1k1: 4d10 11
Stranger ~ Shugenja ~ Water ~ Archer ~ Hunter ~ Healer ~ Spirit Talker ~ Small ~ Wary ~ Ennui
Glory 2 ~ Reputation 4 ~ Status 1

Carries: Yumi, Arrows, Aiguchi, Lantern, Water, Medicine Kit, Jade (4/7)

Jin Mizuku

Post by Jin Mizuku » Thu May 21, 2020 9:37 am

Canary wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:42 am
There it seems to be aggressive toward others who would approach it in general, rather than to humans or other oxen in particular, though it's a bit moreso to others of its own kind. Looking at it more closely and next to the rest of the animals, it seems... slightly fatter than the others? Or is that extra fat?
Ko wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:55 am
"How can you tell?" she asked, when Mizuku's advice broke through her reverie. "Do they fight? That other Seidou said they are tame."
Mizuku's eye narrowed as she noticed the 'extra fat'. She didn't look away from it, but answered the question posed.

"They are tame, but seem to be angry for some reason.. Or uncomfortable." She paused "Or maybe she's pregnant"

Ko

Post by Ko » Thu May 21, 2020 9:50 am

"Oh." Ko ran a hand through her already-tousled hair. "Is that a problem? My aunts are all cranky when they're bearing."

She peered a bit more closely at the animal. Now that Mizuku had pointed it out to her, it did look a bit more... bulgy? than the others.

"Or it could be a curse. A..." Ko shrugged. She didn't really know a specific word to communicate what she meant, especially not to someone from a distant tribe. A curse could mean all sorts of things, and come out in all sorts of ways, after all. This kind was commonest in elders, but maybe beasts could incur it too? "The stone that grows in the body, and sometimes rots and kills people. You know? Old people, mostly."
Shore People ✖ 'Bushi? That sounds right' ✖ Stone-tool-user ✖ Awkward ✖ On A Quest

Wears: Simple clothing, pearl and coral jewelry, copper coin bracelet; light armor when expecting danger.
Carries: Walking staff or yumi (or both); knives; jade, pack with misc fishing & survival tools and small daily items. Warclub (tetsubo) when needed.

Jin Mizuku

Post by Jin Mizuku » Thu May 21, 2020 10:42 am

Mizuku climbs the gate and slowly walks toward the aggressive oxen. Wanting to check and see if it was indeed pregnant and if there was anything she could do to help it.

[Day 1 LM] Animal House Area Animal handling to calm the oxen and see if it is pregnant Int3 + AniHand 2: 5d10o10k3 16

Canary

Post by Canary » Thu May 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Jin Mizuku wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:42 am
Mizuku climbs the gate and slowly walks toward the aggressive oxen. Wanting to check and see if it was indeed pregnant and if there was anything she could do to help it.

[Day 1 LM] Animal House Area Animal handling to calm the oxen and see if it is pregnant Int3 + AniHand 2: 5d10o10k3 16
Since she has an idea of what's going on, she's able to confirm and calm the ox a little - it is indeed in early pregnancy, which is probably why those gathering the animals for the trip didn't notice right away.

Jin Mizuku

Post by Jin Mizuku » Thu May 21, 2020 12:55 pm

Mizuku calls over to those in charge of this group of oxen. "Hey, this one is pregnant, should she really be on this journey?"

She continued to comfort the ox by blocking her view of the chaos with her body best she could, petting her and keeping her voice calm. "It's alright, you'll be out of here soon. You'll get to protect that little one in comfort, and not on a dangerous journey"

She stayed with the ox until the one who owned her came to take her out of the pen that held the others. She then climbed the gate and sat on top of it, looking out over the rest of the animals.

((OOC: open for random conversation))

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Thu May 21, 2020 4:16 pm

Sora looked over the chaos as the pregnant oxen was led away.

Yep. Anjing is DEFINITELY calling some of the shots around here. Just the right amount of brainless brawn

"You handled that well. Maybe they ought to put you in charge of this mess."

Ko

Post by Ko » Thu May 21, 2020 11:37 pm

"It seems to me you have much practice handling those beasts," Ko put in. "Is it hard? We don't know them where I come from, but they look very useful."

Though even as she said this, she tried to imagine her aunts and uncles raising such creatures, and her inner vision remained stubbornly blank. An ox couldn't haul a net... they were good for moving things from place to place, but for that you had to have somewhere you wanted to go. Or really big fields to plant, like the Crab Clan people did.

Jin Mizuku

Post by Jin Mizuku » Fri May 22, 2020 1:36 am

Jiyo Sora wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:16 pm
"You handled that well. Maybe they ought to put you in charge of this mess."
Ko wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:37 pm
"It seems to me you have much practice handling those beasts," Ko put in. "Is it hard? We don't know them where I come from, but they look very useful."
Mizuku, chuckled lightly "It is easy to be confident in things you are knowledgeable about. If I were to try and lead this mess I would end up yelling at blank faces. No. I will not be leading anything I do not have the knowledge over, and packing for a dangerous trip is not something I know too much about."

She turned toward the girl, still sitting on the gate and swinging her feet a bit. "I have been around my fair share of oxen, but honestly once you learn how animals think you can apply the same knowledge to all kinds. Just need to figure out what is wrong, no one is angry for no reason. At least not any living being I've met. Would you like to pet one?"

Ko

Post by Ko » Fri May 22, 2020 1:53 am

"Sure." Ko was still a bit intimidated by the beasts' size and their heavy hooves--even the petite breed of deer she was familiar with could do some damage to human or dog with an (un)-lucky kick, and these were obviously much stronger--but she approached the corral boldly. "They like that?"

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Fri May 22, 2020 4:13 am

"You don't need to manage the packing to manage the oxen."

But he didn't press the point.

"I'm Jiyo Sora, of the Imperial Families. If we're all going to be on the road together, it might be nice to know who's who if we run into trouble."

Jin Mizuku

Post by Jin Mizuku » Fri May 22, 2020 11:39 am

Ko wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:53 am
"Sure." Ko was still a bit intimidated by the beasts' size and their heavy hooves--even the petite breed of deer she was familiar with could do some damage to human or dog with an (un)-lucky kick, and these were obviously much stronger--but she approached the corral boldly. "They like that?"
Jiyo Sora wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:13 am
"You don't need to manage the packing to manage the oxen."

But he didn't press the point.

"I'm Jiyo Sora, of the Imperial Families. If we're all going to be on the road together, it might be nice to know who's who if we run into trouble."
She hopped off the fence and went to the nearest ox. She pet him first, then lead him toward the girl. She made sure that they were calm, then waving her over.
"Yeah, they enjoy it. It's like when someone washes your hair in the bath. It's comforting"

She kept one hand on the ox's neck and turned toward Sora.

"I'm Jin Mizuku, call me Mizuku though, I'm new to the formalities."

Jiyo Sora

Post by Jiyo Sora » Fri May 22, 2020 3:59 pm

Jin Mizuku wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:39 am
"I'm Jin Mizuku, call me Mizuku though, I'm new to the formalities."
"The formalities are new to the formalities. How's your daimyo doing these days? Letters can only tell so much, but he's a good friend of mine."

Return to “Courtyard”