[D1-LM] Batty Breakfast time [open, forge]

Ryoshun Mai

[D1-LM] Batty Breakfast time [open, forge]

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Tue May 19, 2020 5:54 pm

Mai snuck into the dining hall, got some rice and a few steam buns and made her way to the forge. She had a three foot wooden piece lashed to her back, showing recent carving. Her kimono was her standard grey and white.

Knowing he'd be there, Mai cleared her throat. "Taiko-kun, I brought you breakfast! Not like I thought you'd need it or anything." She flushed and held out the offerings.
Ryoshun Family* Artisan * Cursed!
Status - 1.0, Reputation - What is Expected, Glory - 3.5
Wears/Carries:
Light Armor, Sturdy Clothing, tanto, yari, whetstone, Blacksmith's hammer, inherited carving knife, 8 shark teeth

Ryoshun Taiko

Re: [D1-LM] Batty Breakfast time [open, forge]

Post by Ryoshun Taiko » Tue May 19, 2020 6:00 pm

And there he was, most of this morning's efforts were spent on forging supplies for the trip. at the moment that Mai had come across him Taiko was carefully stripping down a sapling that he was planning on using for the yari he was creating.

When he noticed he, he not so subtly slipped something small and slightly shiny behind him.

"Mai-chan. I was surprised when you weren't here at sunup. Catching up on that beauty sleep?" He asked, meaning it as a compliment, but knowing the way he phrased things expected it to be taken as anything but.
Bat Clan * Smith * Bushi * Drunkard * Hears Voices*Bluntly Honest
Description
Disembodied voice only I can hear

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Tue May 19, 2020 6:06 pm

"You know full well I was working." She pulled the proto-weapon off her back and held it it out to show the rough shape coming together. It looked rather experimental, as if it were some manner of staff-club, with sockets carved into one edge.

"Down by the river I saw something you would have liked. A rat nearly twice your height." She let that sink in for a minute, "clad in some of the finest metal and leather plated armor I have ever seen. His axe was massive, the workmanship better than any I have ever seen." Her tone was excited in a way he wouldn't have heard in a long time.
Wears/Carries:
Light Armor, Sturdy Clothing, tanto, yari, whetstone, Blacksmith's hammer, inherited carving knife, 8 shark teeth

Ryoshun Taiko

Post by Ryoshun Taiko » Tue May 19, 2020 6:41 pm

Taiko couldn't even pretend to feign ambivalence at that news.

"I had heard they were more advanced, but I must see that." He agreed wholeheartedly, before pointing to the item across Mai's back.

"Have you given any consideration to my thought about trying to come up with a new way to attach the teeth?"
Description

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Tue May 19, 2020 6:47 pm

"It really is something. The rat, or nezumi as he called himself, put a strong emphasis on names of himself and his weapon. I wonder if they have some manner of magic in their craft." She shrugged, "we have magic of our own, we'll be able to figure it out."

"Yeah, I am going to try your method on this one. The grooves on the last didn't secure the teeth well. I am going to try some of those fish teeth brought to us from the Southern coast, shark I think they were called."
Wears/Carries:

Ryoshun Taiko

Post by Ryoshun Taiko » Tue May 19, 2020 6:56 pm

Tearing gently at the bun, Taiko nods. "I remember you saying they were a little larger. They might sit in the notches better indeed. Good plan."

"Good food too. Don't suppose there's going to be much of this once we hit the road proper."
Description

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Tue May 19, 2020 7:29 pm

"The rice is nice for a change of pace. I wasn't sure what you wanted so I brought both. Besides, you might eat my leftovers, too." She meant it as an offer, that may or may not have intimate connotations. It came out as though she was calling him a glutton.

She pulled one of the shark teeth out of a pouch, showing off the jagged edges and wide base. Each notch had been carefully measured for each tooth. This was tooth seven, not that it would be easy to tell to an untrained eye.
Wears/Carries:

Wu

Post by Wu » Wed May 20, 2020 4:28 am

A green robed man with an odd spear held on his back entered the smithy without much fanfare. After a few second he managed to get a hold of one of the head smith's aides and humbly asked for a brief meeting.

''It is concerning the expedition...I will wait, there is no need to hurry.''

Organising the effort, courtier, void for skill, TN 20: 4d10o10k3 24
Dragon Clan - Daimyo of the Wu - Black sheep of the Isawa tribe - Bushi - Spearman - Sage - Enlightened - Experienced
Equipment : In town: Ryu-yari, sturdy clothing. Outside : bronze and leather armor, Ryu-yari, Nage-Yari, Yumi

Ryoshun Taiko

Post by Ryoshun Taiko » Wed May 20, 2020 5:08 am

Ryoshun Mai wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:29 pm
"The rice is nice for a change of pace. I wasn't sure what you wanted so I brought both. Besides, you might eat my leftovers, too." She meant it as an offer, that may or may not have intimate connotations. It came out as though she was calling him a glutton.
"You know me, fuel for the forge inside." Taiko just smirks as the rest of the bun disappears into his mouth. "Some fuel just tasted better." He adds, though it comes out a little garbled with his mouth full.
Ryoshun Mai wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:29 pm
She pulled one of the shark teeth out of a pouch, showing off the jagged edges and wide base. Each notch had been carefully measured for each tooth. This was tooth seven, not that it would be easy to tell to an untrained eye.
At this distance, Mai is right one tooth looked largely like another to Taiko. Though he knew she could likely match the right tooth to the right notch blindfolded. "Are they sturdier than bone? The amount of impact force on such a small surface area as the tip of the tooth?" He asks after swallowing down the food with a gulp of water.
Description

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Wed May 20, 2020 5:21 am

She had went to take another bite, before blushing and offering the half of her bun to Taiko. "You are working harder today. You need to eat."

"Yeah I have been doing some tests on them." She ran her finger over the rough edge, a small drop of blood trickling out of her finger. A sharp hiss escaped her as she dropped the tooth. "Teeth seem a bit stronger than bone, and these are especially strong. The big issue I had been having is the attachment point weakening after a particularly hard strike." She continued talking smoothly, though he might note a slight off note in her tone.
Wears/Carries:

Ryoshun Taiko

Post by Ryoshun Taiko » Wed May 20, 2020 5:34 am

Taiko shook his head and pushed the bun back towards Mai. "Do you more good than me, see if we can't get something to stick to those bony ribs of yours." He replied in his version of a caring thought. "Don't want you dropping from exhaustion on the road. I hear tell its gonna be a long march."

Not fast enough to catch the tooth as Mai drops it, Taiko picks it up from the ground, wiping the blood and dirt off before holding it out to Mai. "Perhaps we can look at other attachments as a basis. Never seen a spear tip come flying off yet." He proposed as he pulled out the weapon tip from behind him. "Although I doubt your club can have quite as deep a seating for the teeth."
Description

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Wed May 20, 2020 5:41 am

"You know I tend to be exhausted anyways. I guess if you don't want it, I'll eat it though. I wonder how long it will be? We are always a long ways beyond where I thought I'd ever see. A lot warmer than home here too."

She took the tooth back, her fingertips brushing his briefly. "Yeah, I am trying to see if I can get the grooves to the deepest I can that they will still be effective, but it is rather tricky."
Wears/Carries:

Ryoshun Taiko

Post by Ryoshun Taiko » Wed May 20, 2020 5:49 am

Taiko smirks. "If the heat's causing you trouble, maybe we need to move you off these wooden projects and back to casting arrowheads in the forge like a good little apprentice."

As their fingers touch, a little of the blood transfers from Mai to Taiko and he just applies a gentle squeeze to the finger to try and stop the bleeding.

"First wound of the campaign? Guess I'm playing medic as well."
Description

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Wed May 20, 2020 6:23 am

Mai flushed, and swallowed her retort, leaning her face in close to his across the table. "You sure you can handle the heat of both of us in the forge?" Her voice a sultry whisper he had never heard from her.

"I doubt it will be the last wound. One of these days you need to teach me to patch people up. If ever we have any free time."
Wears/Carries:

Ryoshun Taiko

Post by Ryoshun Taiko » Wed May 20, 2020 6:39 am

Taiko;s cheeks turned as red as the sparks that flew from the metal he often worked at Mai's sultry shift. His eyes widened even further when a familiar voice plucked at the edges of his consciousness.

You gonna let that harlot distract you like that? She's either wanting to separate you from your ideas or your hakama. Possibly both. How am I ever going to find any peace if you just abandon your work for the first piece of tail that shows you any attention...

"ummm..err...well..." Taiko stammered as a vein at the side of his temple started to pulse and bulge.
Description

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Wed May 20, 2020 6:53 am

"Suit yourself, Taiko-san. People are going to get hurt and the more people we have that know how to help the better. I know you like keeping your secrets but..."

She rarely ever called him -san. Very rarely.
Wears/Carries:

Ryoshun Taiko

Post by Ryoshun Taiko » Wed May 20, 2020 7:29 am

See, she even admits it, she wants your secrets...our secrets...it's not about you, just your skills...

"You know as well as I do that I'm happy to share, especially with you." Taiko replied before his eyebrow peaked at how she addressed him.

"I'm just not sure I'd be much of a teacher in this field."
Description

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Wed May 20, 2020 7:35 am

"If you can teach enough to slow the blood like you just did, at least for small stuff it might be useful. Of course, I will do anything I can for you in return or show you anything I learn."

"For example, I got the rat to talk for you." She leaned in to whisper in his ear. "A shaman names the weapon after it is forged in some manner of ceremony and determines the best candidate for the weapon. Then it is given a name. The rat emphasized that word a lot. Names seem to mean something special to the rats."
Wears/Carries:

Ryoshun Taiko

Post by Ryoshun Taiko » Wed May 20, 2020 8:06 am

Ryoshun looks Mai in the eyes and slowly nods, her hand warm in his, he shows her what little he knows from overhearing conversations and discussions by properly trained individuals.

It wasn't much, but it might serve as a basic foundation if she wanted to pursue the subject seriously.

D1 LM Can I medicine?: 4d10 21

As Mai talked about names, a light she would recognize as deep thought flickered in Taiko's eyes. "Do you name your creations?" He asked simply, trying to push the conversation down that route.
Description

Ryoshun Mai

Post by Ryoshun Mai » Wed May 20, 2020 8:15 am

Mai blushed slightly as he held her hand. This is just Taiko, why do I feel like this? As he finished she let her hand linger just a few seconds longer and gave a gentle squeeze.

"I've always left that to the owner. Perhaps we should try to see if we can find a proper name for our weapons before the exchange of ownership? When this one is done hopefully we will find a suitable candidate who can use it. Then perhaps we can leverage some favor for the Bat."

"Are we sharing a room tonight? It should be safer." The look in her eyes pleased with him. He knew about the nightmares, at least to some extent.
Wears/Carries:

Return to “Courtyard”