Packing the Chaos! [D1, EA, Event link]

Nozomi

Re: Packing the Chaos! [D1, EA, Event link]

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 2:59 am

Noriaki no Yamadono wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:53 am
"I am one of the followers of Fu Leng. The one we are going to rescue. Likely... my last lesson to my daughter." His knuckled tightened around the sack as he held it, walking with Phi. "Family must never be abandoned. All must be spent in loyalty to not leave them behind. In the end, all we will have is the name, and those that bear it. Family never gets left behind, or forgotten. These kami almost forgot him. We will show them that was an error."

He smiled. "They call us Spider. An apt name, especially for young Matsu."
"Ah, you are one of hers." The half-blind hag. Reiko. She knew that the woman was here, somewhere, but she was also certain that she was a very busy woman with all of the preparations to make. Phi didn't plan to speak to her today, not with all that was going. "That explains a little. She has a strange way with people. She came to speak of the lost one to the tribe, a year ago now. None joined her, but we made sure to remember her words." For some reason, she patted her chest. If Noriaki were the sort to glance he might see a very thin bulge under the linen she was wearing that had nothing to do with her body tone, its chord barely visible around her neck.

"Family cannot be forgotten," and this time there was definitely a hint of bitterness there, under the surface. "Too many forget their kin, tough I hope that lowlander Koyama hasn't gotten too soft since he came down from the mountains and forgotten us." A snort and a cuckle.
Disciple of Shinsei * Experienced Phi * Disturbing Countenance * Former Rappa
Status - 1.0, Reputation - "What is Expected," Glory - 2.0
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Wed May 20, 2020 3:16 am

Phi wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:59 am
"Ah, you are one of hers." The half-blind hag. Reiko. She knew that the woman was here, somewhere, but she was also certain that she was a very busy woman with all of the preparations to make. Phi didn't plan to speak to her today, not with all that was going. "That explains a little. She has a strange way with people. She came to speak of the lost one to the tribe, a year ago now. None joined her, but we made sure to remember her words." For some reason, she patted her chest. If Noriaki were the sort to glance he might see a very thin bulge under the linen she was wearing that had nothing to do with her body tone, its chord barely visible around her neck.

"Family cannot be forgotten," and this time there was definitely a hint of bitterness there, under the surface. "Too many forget their kin, tough I hope that lowlander Koyama hasn't gotten too soft since he came down from the mountains and forgotten us." A snort and a cuckle.
He was much older than her. He wasn't dead. So looking was the sort of thing he would do. It wasn't lingering, but likely noticeable. Then, a bellowing laugh at her comment, getting the sack into the cart.

"Softness likely wouldn't happen, or be a good idea for this trip. I am sure he would be pleased to see you, even as the husband to a god." Strong arms folded across his chest, before looking about again.

"Maybe thinking on family, our kind may find some way to live on, never truly left behind by this new world."
Spider Clan | Bushi | Large AF | Blessed by Bishamon and Earth
Carries: Bronze Tetsubo | Fur lined hat and cloak | Bronze Sword | Travelling Pack | Shakuhachi
Accompanied by: Matsu

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 3:22 am

Wed May 20, 2020 3:16 am
He was much older than her. He wasn't dead. So looking was the sort of thing he would do. It wasn't lingering, but likely noticeable. Then, a bellowing laugh at her comment, getting the sack into the cart.

"Softness likely wouldn't happen, or be a good idea for this trip. I am sure he would be pleased to see you, even as the husband to a god." Strong arms folded across his chest, before looking about again.

"Maybe thinking on family, our kind may find some way to live on, never truly left behind by this new world."
"No, softness will just get the lot of us dead in a ditch," she snorted out, chortling darkly to herself. "Not that I don't think it's possible. I'm a realist. But I did not come here intending to die in that ditch."

The mention of Shinjo drew a rueful look. "I have heard she is here. The one who wiled us down from the mountains. Is it true?" There was a hint of 'this is someone I need to see.' She wanted to see what it was Koyama had seen in the woman more than anything else. "And I intend to carve a nitch for what remains. I do not want the Hikaru forgotten entirely."
Wears/Carries: Ashigaru Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Xun (Flute), Tonfa x2, Yumi w/ Arrows, Jade Bracelet
Profile * Theme Song * It's pronounced "Fee" * (The safe word is "Sea Cucumber")

Reo

Post by Reo » Wed May 20, 2020 4:18 am

Reo sees a familiar face (or mask anyway) and shuffles over. There's an older man too, with...some kind of colors.

"That is new. I have not seen that color scheme before. What are you? Oh hi Phi"

It is horribly blunt, and with no interlude, but for Reo seems to be acting as if nothing is unusual. Maybe it isn't for him.
Archer | Kakita Tribe | Spider Clan | Bad Limp | Not a People Person | Healer
Yumi with lots of arrows, Light Armor, Medicine Kit, Mortar and Pestle, finger of Jade, 3 uses of jade dust

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 4:55 am

Phi didn't react with offense. There wasn't even a real firmness to her tone. She was sort of used to people who just didn't seem to have any knack for talking to others. When you grew up around a bunch of game shooting, mountain dwelling reprobates with no particular love for civilized society and a liking for fermented goat's milk and cheap clay flutes to dance to? You got used to it damned fast.

"Reo. This is Noriaki no Yamadono of the Spider and his daughter Matsu," she said, gesturing to each in turn and looking back to him. "Reo. We just met today on the hunt." Hey look at her, trying to sound like she knew what the hell she was talking about when she learned most of that in the last five minutes.

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Wed May 20, 2020 5:00 am

Phi wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:22 am
"No, softness will just get the lot of us dead in a ditch," she snorted out, chortling darkly to herself. "Not that I don't think it's possible. I'm a realist. But I did not come here intending to die in that ditch."

The mention of Shinjo drew a rueful look. "I have heard she is here. The one who wiled us down from the mountains. Is it true?" There was a hint of 'this is someone I need to see.' She wanted to see what it was Koyama had seen in the woman more than anything else. "And I intend to carve a nitch for what remains. I do not want the Hikaru forgotten entirely."
"Nor did I. I came to free a god." He has to admire her laughter, then a severe nod. Matsu brushed past him again, a slight glare, as she hefted another sack, and shouted words of encouragment to the others. "She came because I cannot stop her anymore. She has her mother's spirit." Lips pursed, as he seemed lost in thought, a sadness coming over him.

It passed, as he looked to Phi again. "I believe she is joining us, yes. I have not spoken with her. The only Kami I've ever truly spoken much with is Akodo. And we don't necessarily see eye to eye." A darker laugh, and then a look to the other who joined.

"Good to meet you, Reo." He nodded, then perked uo when she mentioned her flute.

"I play as well. The Shakuhachi. Though maybe my sings are a bit sadder."
Carries: Bronze Tetsubo | Fur lined hat and cloak | Bronze Sword | Travelling Pack | Shakuhachi

Kyosei of the Isawa

Post by Kyosei of the Isawa » Wed May 20, 2020 5:03 am

Jin wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:15 pm
Another smile, "Well I have faith in you not to misuse them. War did not ever strike me as to your interest. I am just glad they are likely not widely available to others who might abuse them."
"Hopefully not, hai. And true, fighting in any form is rarely my preference." He looks around as some others begin to make some organization of the chaos around them. "If you will excuse me, I should get to work."

He then uses the black knife to make a slight cut on his left arm, calling on the spirits to sustain his mind, and keep him able to think clearly in the semi-organization occurring.

He had never organized a real expedition like this, but he did have experience figuring out how to run a mine. And there were some similarities. So, he pulled our a slate he had for just this sort of situation, and some chalk, and began to do some figuring...

It wasn't the same, but with the support of the spirits, he was able to figure out some of the results.

Now to find someone to give the results to...
Kyosei of the Isawa Tribe
Shugenja • Earth • Experienced • Jade

Glory 2 • Reputation 4 • Status 1
Often seems dirty, or has a dusty form.
small knife, regular knife, mining hammer, 3 belt pouches, small ink set with brush, candle.
When out in the area outside the camps, Axe, shovel, bo staff.

Jin

Post by Jin » Wed May 20, 2020 5:28 am

Jin nods and smiles again, "Of course, never let me interfere with such an important task. Be well, Kyosei, and I am sure we shall cross paths many time yet on this trip."
Ki-Rin • Jin Family Daimyo • Experienced • Shugenja • Healer • Martyr • Cartographer • Missing Eye • Missing Hand • Jade

Carries: Ashigaru armor, robes, tanto, medicine kit, bundle of scrolls and maps, finger of jade.

Description

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 5:46 am

Wed May 20, 2020 5:00 am
"Nor did I. I came to free a god." He has to admire her laughter, then a severe nod. Matsu brushed past him again, a slight glare, as she hefted another sack, and shouted words of encouragment to the others. "She came because I cannot stop her anymore. She has her mother's spirit." Lips pursed, as he seemed lost in thought, a sadness coming over him.

It passed, as he looked to Phi again. "I believe she is joining us, yes. I have not spoken with her. The only Kami I've ever truly spoken much with is Akodo. And we don't necessarily see eye to eye." A darker laugh, and then a look to the other who joined.

"Good to meet you, Reo." He nodded, then perked uo when she mentioned her flute.

"I play as well. The Shakuhachi. Though maybe my sings are a bit sadder."
She reached down and brought a small, circular clay flute out, a bit like an ocarina, with some holes set into it. "I've heard that, once. Reed flute, yes? They both have mournful tones. Fitting for a flute." She liked the Xun a fair bit. Definitely more to her tastes when it came to music, but she was very Hikaru in the end that way.

She glanced over at Reo and then back again. "You mention this Akodo. What are they like?" There was a decided, if distant, sort of curiosity. She had never met one of these kami before in her life, but she'd heard about them. "How not eye to eye?"

Reo

Post by Reo » Wed May 20, 2020 5:57 am

"Spider? I didn't know that one. I thought I knew which Clans were with which of those Kami." Reo seems to think on it. "Forgive me, I've mostly made due with stories and rumors. Most of my tribe went to Doji and the Crane but that..."

Reo trails off
Yumi with lots of arrows, Light Armor, Medicine Kit, Mortar and Pestle, finger of Jade, 3 uses of jade dust

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Wed May 20, 2020 6:03 am

Phi wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:46 am
She reached down and brought a small, circular clay flute out, a bit like an ocarina, with some holes set into it. "I've heard that, once. Reed flute, yes? They both have mournful tones. Fitting for a flute." She liked the Xun a fair bit. Definitely more to her tastes when it came to music, but she was very Hikaru in the end that way.

She glanced over at Reo and then back again. "You mention this Akodo. What are they like?" There was a decided, if distant, sort of curiosity. She had never met one of these kami before in her life, but she'd heard about them. "How not eye to eye?"
"We shall have to play sometime." He nodded, wishing he had carried his shakuhachi with him. Then thinking on how to describe Akodo.

"He has a commanding presence, like the others, but more so. Constantly thinking in terms of a battle, and how one comports themselves during such." The brute shrugged, then pondered again.

"I suppose in that he allows his thoughts to be... rigid. Making his battlefield inflexible. Different from how I would raid villages, seeking every advantage, even if it wasn't sporting."

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 6:10 am

Reo wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:57 am
"Spider? I didn't know that one. I thought I knew which Clans were with which of those Kami." Reo seems to think on it. "Forgive me, I've mostly made due with stories and rumors. Most of my tribe went to Doji and the Crane but that..."

Reo trails off
"Ah... yes. Most of mine ride with Shinjo now. Not all, though," she grunted out, offering Reo a nod of commiseration. Those who had remained behind hadn't exactly been pleased by the departure, not really. They'd gotten over it, but not happy.
Wed May 20, 2020 6:03 am
"We shall have to play sometime." He nodded, wishing he had carried his shakuhachi with him. Then thinking on how to describe Akodo.

"He has a commanding presence, like the others, but more so. Constantly thinking in terms of a battle, and how one comports themselves during such." The brute shrugged, then pondered again.

"I suppose in that he allows his thoughts to be... rigid. Making his battlefield inflexible. Different from how I would raid villages, seeking every advantage, even if it wasn't sporting."
"We should. Maybe on the road while we have the chance."

She raised an eyebrow. "A battle is meant to be won. A raid is meant to be finished swiftly, or men die. Dead men don't forage. The tribe dies. Why bother being 'sporting' about anything? Seems like an utter waste of time." She sounded utterly non-plussed. She already did not like this Akodo, if Yamadono was correct. "If I enter a fight with a man, I do not let him get a punch in first to prove I am that much better. I shoot him down before he ever sees me. Then he can't hurt me. That's just basic logic."

Reo

Post by Reo » Wed May 20, 2020 6:13 am

"Heh. Smart thinking. A hunter does not give his quarry a "fair chance". He ends it. He is focused on the goal, he achieves it. Fate is cruel, and nature offers no mercy."

Reo allows a flicker of a smile.

"Crane talk a lot. I have yet to see a word than outflies an arrow"

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Wed May 20, 2020 6:31 am

He laughed a bellowing roar. "Exactly! The best way to win a war is to utterly decimate and swiftly destroy the opportunity for your enemy to wage it. Nothing is off the table for victory. I don't want to just win this fight, I want to win every fight after, making every enemy see what could be done to them if they tried."

A nod to Reo. "Words have their place. They can work. But in the end, brutal strength can destroy any chance of retaliation."

Another glance to Phi. "Like I said, he and I don't see eye to eye. He is a good leader, but... rigid. I would rather go to war with people like you in my command tent."

Reo

Post by Reo » Wed May 20, 2020 6:37 am

"Hmmm..." Reo seems to think. "I had not heard of your Clan, but I wish I had. Likely to your benefit though, if you are like minded with those among you. It makes you a potent foe."

He is quiet for a while, in contemplation as if he is working out a puzzle. "I have heard that these clans all have a kami with them. The Akodo you mentioned is one, yes? Like Doji with the Crane. Which is yours?"

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 6:41 am

"He's right. Words have their place, but you usually want someone good at them to handle that." The implication being that it wasn't her strong suit. She glanced back to Yamadono and her lips thinned a little before she shrugged. "Strength is good. I prefer precision. Make sure it hits. Make sure it hurts. Whittle them down, or cut off the head first. I probably wouldn't be in the tent long. Get sent out on scouting jobs most of the time."

She considered and nodded more to herself. "I do not think this Akodo and I would see eye to eye either." She did not, however, sound at all surprised by that. Considering her face adornment, she already had a few thoughts who she might agree with more, and it was definitely not Akodo or Hantei. Reo's second question, though, she would let Yamadono answer. That was his story to tell, though Reo would learn that one soon enough.

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Wed May 20, 2020 6:45 am

"Not follow per se. But our Kami is the one this expedition is going to rescue. Fu Leng. We know his worth through Reiko,the one who speaks with him. And my fellows are far more... mystical than I am. So one day, it may be up to my daughter." He looked to Matsu, who was organizing another group with surprising ease. Proud as he looked to her.

"... To lead their armies." He nodded, and listened to Phi's reasoning.

"True. That has it's place. And scouts like you are the key to ensuring victory. I hope that my Matsu would seek counsel like yours." A glance between the two.

She needs someone with cunning, and compassion...
Last edited by Noriaki no Yamadono on Wed May 20, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nozomi

Post by Nozomi » Wed May 20, 2020 6:56 am

She looked over at the girl, full of heat and youth. It hadn't been that long ago when she'd been the sullen one tramping around the camp, skulking in Koyama's train, getting herself into mischief or annoyed at helping out. Phi smirked to herself. There was familiarity there. "If we have time and she wants practice in stealth, send her my way. We can shadow the march, if they don't have me on point."

Cunning she had, but not compassion. That part of her was dead, long dead, even if she could help with the logistics because it took care of her own needs.

Reo

Post by Reo » Wed May 20, 2020 9:13 am

"The kami who needs rescuing? But still..." Reo finds his gaze going out on the horizon. "Can you imagine the things that he's seen there? I admit, part of the draw is to learn more of what lies beyond. To be the first, and best informed about this new land."

"Well, you have my curiosity. Alas, I am likely far less useful when it comes to the sneaking around." Reo pats his leg absently. "But if you need help with an ambush, I am more than happy to send some arrows into the target."

Noriaki no Yamadono

Post by Noriaki no Yamadono » Thu May 21, 2020 9:57 am

"Skill with arrows may be of equal importance as sneaking around." He clapped the other man on the shoulder, a grin to Reo.

He then looked back to Phi. "I am sure she would enjoy that. She has some modicum of skill in it from hunting, but to learn more, I know she would soak it up like a sponge."

Return to “Courtyard”