[Day 24 - EA] That's so Raven (Closed)

Nanzi

[Day 24 - EA] That's so Raven (Closed)

Post by Nanzi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:51 am

Nanzi was clean, he had bathed many times since the trip and finally felt clean and himself. He was perfumed with a mild scent of cinnamon and wore many layers in shades of blue and white. On the table was a simple game of strategy and tea was steeped by his staff.

He was eager to do this one last thing for Saruko and give the charlatan a chance.

Maybe he had wisdom.

He doubted it as Hadananzi picked up a piece with his beak and moved it into position. Nanzi frowned, he was realizing that strategy games were not his forte.
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace
Supporting Staff: Doji Jigutsuji, Nanzi Jongwun, Raven on shoulder

Shinsei

Re: [Day 24 - EA] That's so Raven (Closed)

Post by Shinsei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:59 am

Shinsei arrived promptly, as he often did and knew Nanzi appreciated. Though not terribly fond of the man, the Little Teacher was less fond of the idea of turning down a meeting with someone who asked for his time. He was, and always would be, an open man to others.

Karasu rode on his shoulder, and was none too impressed when Shinsei bowed to Nanzi, as his preferred form of etiquette requested be done.

"Nanzi-sama. It is good to see you doing so well after the hardships we faced, but I am a touch you decided to seek after me. I am here, ready to discuss whatever it is you wish, at your leisure."

Though he didn't like his present company, there wasn't a hint of bitterness in his tone, only mild curiosity as he glanced between Nanzi and the bird sitting nearby.
Mysterious Stranger | Ascetic | Enlightened

Run by GM Bakuriel

Crow

Post by Crow » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:00 am

Karasu also noticed the large raven, and if a crow could narrow its eyes to the point of non-existence, oh how narrow his eyes would be.

You cannot be serious right now...
Crow + Birb + Mischievous

Played by GM Bakuriel

Canary

Post by Canary » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:04 am

Crow wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:00 am
Karasu also noticed the large raven, and if a crow could narrow its eyes to the point of non-existence, oh how narrow his eyes would be.

You cannot be serious right now...
Well well well... What do we have here? The raven didn't let Nanzi in on these thoughts, directing them at the crow across from him. If Ravens could smirk, he would have, and Karasu certainly got that impression mentally. Physically he fluttered over to settle on Nanzi's shoulder.
GM + Bird + Glorious Plumage + Experienced

"Is the dark side stronger?"
"No, no, no. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:30 pm

The daimyo rose and bowed with grace.

“You have guided so many to the right path, Shinsei-sensei, how could this one not offer you a moment of respite and Honor you for your sacrifices. Nanzi is curious on where the teacher will go from here, what he has learned form this journey, and more words on these Thunder and the cycle of good and evil.”

He took a seat and poured tea for them both as Hadananzi settled on his shoulder, Nanzi was resplendent, this was his element and where he liked to be. He said sweetly, “Nanzi spoke with Lady Saruko, a dear friend and she pleaded that Nanzi had misjudged you. Nanzi trusts his sister’s words greatly as she is dear to his heart. Thus he is open to wisdom, an empty cup as the ascetics say.”
Family Daimyo | Sexy DILF | Dark Skin | Doji's Husband | Prodigy | Divine Tongue | Oni Daddy
Status: 7.0 | Glory: 9.0 | Infamy: 0 | Reputation: Untrustworthy | Description | Theme
Possessions: Doji's Favor (Sword), Sword, Luxurious Clothes, Light Armor, Doji's Fan, Jade Finger Necklace

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:48 pm

Shinsei listened to the words quietly and nodded slowly, taking the offered seat opposite Nanzi without much preamble. He waited for the tea to be poured before he began to speak, accepting the drink with a grateful nod and letting his hands wrap loosely about the cup.

"The empty cup does seem to be a popular analogy for wisdom and those seeking to accept it. If you seek answers I will do my best to provide them."

He turned the cup before taking a small sip. "To the first note, I intend to speak with Shiba and those among the Imperials wishing to create this grand library. I have been asked to contribute some of what I've learned, and some of my views and speculations, to the volumes which will be added to the collection intended to be stored and copied there. I rather like the idea of this library, so I agreed. I will likely be there for a time before I resume my typical journeys."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Crow

Post by Crow » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:52 pm

Canary wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:04 am

Well well well... What do we have here? The raven didn't let Nanzi in on these thoughts, directing them at the crow across from him. If Ravens could smirk, he would have, and Karasu certainly got that impression mentally. Physically he fluttered over to settle on Nanzi's shoulder.
The crow shook his head slowly, adding a light foot shuffle to keep the motion from being conspicuous.

Should have known you'd be involved in all this. I see you're playing games with an opponent who doesn't understand all the rules, as usual.

Played by GM Bakuriel

Canary

Post by Canary » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:58 pm

Crow wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:52 pm
The crow shook his head slowly, adding a light foot shuffle to keep the motion from being conspicuous.

Should have known you'd be involved in all this. I see you're playing games with an opponent who doesn't understand all the rules, as usual.
I see no reason not to use my advantages where I can find them, old friend, it replied, the term mocking. It's a basic tactical principal. You should be pleased, anyway. I've helped this expedition. I even kept one of your precious Thunders safe.

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:04 pm

“You and Shiba-dono will probably have deep discussions, if you have not already,” Nanzi responded.

“Nanzi has heard mention of this library, it has value of a sort. The Crane will contribute their works for this project, but it seems to be progressing well in hand without our guidance. Further speculation on the divinity of man, seeking one’s truth, and all that?”

“Personally, Nanzi would hear more of these cycles, that has value that frivolous information for the unwashed masses does not in this moment. The war with Jigoku is not over, a champion will one day rise.”

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:19 pm

"I always enjoy my discussions with Shiba, so one concerning this library could be quite interesting indeed."

Shinsei pursed his lips at the mention of the war, taking another sip of tea to gather his thoughts and decide what exactly he would say about it.

"Sometime within our lives. One, perhaps two generations from now, but no more than that. We have struck a blow against Jigoku in closing the pit, but many of us are too proudof that fact, too pleased at the low cost paid to achieve it. I do not wish us to become complacent to the dangers. The greatest strides in power always require sacrifice, and to pay so little for this victory...I am concerned that Jigoku doesn't consider the lossa great one."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Crow

Post by Crow » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:23 pm

Canary wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:58 pm

I see no reason not to use my advantages where I can find them, old friend, it replied, the term mocking. It's a basic tactical principal. You should be pleased, anyway. I've helped this expedition. I even kept one of your precious Thunders safe.
You were always a stickler for the rules. Killing a Thunder now doesn't do you much good anyway, there's plenty of time to find more.

Karasu puffed up his feathers just as Shinsei let out a particularly hefty sigh.

So what was the price for that one you're currently working with?

Played by GM Bakuriel

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:35 pm

“Many will move on, but the Crane will remember and continue to prepare. Nanzi will make it so, he does not know who the other Thunders will be but his lineage is one of queens and conquerors, he is assured that one will rise to defend Jigoku when it is most needed.”

He took a sip of the tea and added, “Complacency will happen, it cannot be avoided. It will be the few that must stay vigilant, ever watchful for this coming turn of the wheel. Nanzi is pleased that we succeeded but wary that it was too easy, things ended too cleanly. Perhaps this was all by design to dull our sense of the danger ahead.”

“One should not look a gift goat in the mouth they say but all it takes one bad goat to spoil the flock is another saying. Concerned or do you know that the loss was not a great one? You have a knack for insight, Nanzi will give you that.”

Canary

Post by Canary » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:39 pm

Crow wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:23 pm
You were always a stickler for the rules. Killing a Thunder now doesn't do you much good anyway, there's plenty of time to find more.

Karasu puffed up his feathers just as Shinsei let out a particularly hefty sigh.

So what was the price for that one you're currently working with?
If you don't play by the rules, you're playing a different game. I want to win the game we're playing, the Raven replied airily, visibly unconcerned. Nothing much. Sharing a name and a little blood to seal it is together. A small price to pay, don't you think?

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:46 pm

"I know nothing for certain about the whims of Jigoku." He swept his hand at the game board before Nanzi by way of example. "War is not so different from a game of strategy. You can learn from your opponent, guess their moves, their motives, and strive for victory. But until the game is finished, the pieces sacrificed and the board cleared, the only way to truly know what the opponent intended is to be that opponent. So I will remain cautious, and am pleased you will do the same, and merely reserve hope that the loss of the pit was not a calculated sacrifice of its own."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Crow

Post by Crow » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:50 pm

Canary wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:39 pm

If you don't play by the rules, you're playing a different game. I want to win the game we're playing, the Raven replied airily, visibly unconcerned. Nothing much. Sharing a name and a little blood to seal it is together. A small price to pay, don't you think?
There was a long 'silence' as Karasu chewed on those words.

Clever. Too clever for your own good, but I'll give credit where it's due. You know his name will never be as powerful as the one we took from you, from all of you, back in the day. But having one is much better than not. Must feel weird though, being in someone else's name. Like wearing undergarments you just know someone else has been in...

There was an unmistakable sense of humor to his tone.

Played by GM Bakuriel

Nanzi

Post by Nanzi » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:59 pm

“As a warrior and now war leader,” he said gesturing to the board, “Nanzi can say that not every loss is calculated. But once that loss occurs then you must calculate the damage done. The calculation can be that the loss was minimal, or it could be catastrophic, and the forces must quit the field.”

“We both know that Jigoku wanted Hisomu, it wanted his spark for a new and perhaps a singularly most powerful champion. Our actions were significant, but Jigoku has not quit the field, it is a loss it can bear. Not easily but it will suffer it.”

“Nanzi has pieced this all together but there is one riddle he has yet to solve. You are a riddle, one that vexes Nanzi for any number of reasons but the largest is just why. Why have you chosen this to be your cause? Are you simply a man or one who is reborn to continue this eternal fight? Are you simply a manifestation of the dying world and a champion of mortality or just a deluded young scholar? Are you the saint your followers paint you to be?” he replied.

Canary

Post by Canary » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:08 pm

Crow wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:50 pm
There was a long 'silence' as Karasu chewed on those words.

Clever. Too clever for your own good, but I'll give credit where it's due. You know his name will never be as powerful as the one we took from you, from all of you, back in the day. But having one is much better than not. Must feel weird though, being in someone else's name. Like wearing undergarments you just know someone else has been in...

There was an unmistakable sense of humor to his tone.
It will grow powerful. There's time, ever so much time, it replied, an unsettling pleasure in its voice as it spoke. If I recall correctly, your people almost failed the first time we fought, saved only by that city's defenses. And the next time, the Kenku were little more than a meat shield between us and the ogres. Don't be overconfident, child.

And, disgusting metaphor aside, I find this name suits me very well. Nanzi and I have certain similarities. It's quite an excellent name for what I need. I knew as soon as I felt his presence. He shines.

Shinsei

Post by Shinsei » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:14 pm

"That the realm can suffer such losses comfortably, at least by outward appearances, is at the very least troubling. We play against an ancient opponent with a great deal more experience than we possess. We shall need to be quite surprising to prevail."

Shinsei took in Nanzi's questions with a somber expression, taking another sip of tea as he waited, ears intent to catch every word.

"I am no saint, but can do little to control how others view me. I am merely a man doing what he feels is necessary in a troubled world. If I've found myself put to this task before in another life, I do not know it. And I have never once tried to present myself as being without flaws, but perhaps I am to blame for allowing such rights to persist. Maybe I even believed it myself for a time, but no longer. The damages I nearly caused have proven their point in totality. Mankind has the capacity to be divine, but the divine is no flawless gem itself. We are all of us merely striving to be our best, and my hubris has stressed the point that I've just as much to learn at any who would learn from me. Of that there can be no question."

Run by GM Bakuriel

Crow

Post by Crow » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:21 pm

Canary wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:08 pm

It will grow powerful. There's time, ever so much time, it replied, an unsettling pleasure in its voice as it spoke. If I recall correctly, your people almost failed the first time we fought, saved only by that city's defenses. And the next time, the Kenku were little more than a meat shield between us and the ogres. Don't be overconfident, child.

And, disgusting metaphor aside, I find this name suits me very well. Nanzi and I have certain similarities. It's quite an excellent name for what I need. I knew as soon as I felt his presence. He shines.
Not all things that glitter are made of gold, but who am I to judge your tastes. They've always been... eccentric.

Karasu preened, not rising to the bait about prior wars.

Victory is victory. If mortals only ever win by being one half step ahead of you, it is still half a step you shall next take. This one here knows that. I like him.

Played by GM Bakuriel

Canary

Post by Canary » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:29 pm

Crow wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:21 pm
"Not all things that glitter are made of gold, but who am I to judge your tastes. They've always been... eccentric."

Karasu preened, not rising to the bait about prior wars.

"Victory is victory. If mortals only ever win by being one half step ahead of you, it is still half a step you shall next take. This one here knows that. I like him."
Of course. With our past, you'd know a great deal about my tastes, yes?

I wonder how long these mortals can keep up that pace? So, what is your strategy this time? Sheer numbers? You mentioned more than one Thunder.

Return to “Guest Rooms”